Apple unveils the all new iPhone 3G

Comments

• Reply 41 of 287
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

A 50% price cut, while major new features are being intro'd, is not aggressive? Mmm... okay.

Well you have to be a bit more attentive if you're not going to be duped. The price went UP not down.

Old price $399, new price $199, $10 extra per month over the life of the contract, $240 + $199 = $439.

It's amazing how people just lap up Steve Job's marketing spiel every time. I guess you believe in 'free' phones too.
  • Reply 42 of 287
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

A lot of us already have a Gmail account or something else. What are you guys planning on doing to take advantage of the Push e-mail that Mobile Me will be offering? I've thought about automatically forwarding all my Gmail stuff to a Mobile Me account, but what about making sure that e-mails that I send end up in Gmail. Also, probably my biggest worry is that e-mail accounts are usually so easily spam filled that I'd rather use an e-mail address that can easily be replaced when sending e-mails to people.

This is something that I was thinking about myself as soon as I saw the MobileMe stuff.

I've only very recently moved from an ISP based email and desktop calendar application to both Google's Mail and Calendar. I find I like them a lot. It would be a real hassle to convert to another system and let all my contacts, family and friends know that I have new details.

But MobileMe looks veeery interesting, especially the push functionality, so i'll be keeping an eye on it, especially any information purtaining to the use of non MobileMe email accounts.
  • Reply 43 of 287
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I am VERY happy. And I guess we can finally put to rest the notion that EDGE on the iPhone is anywhere near as fast as 3G (almost as fast, real-world, as WiFi? Whoa.)

As I recall, the argument was that an EDGE iPhone vs. 3G in many other phones resulted in little difference, because of OS X, WebKit, the much faster CPU and more RAM.

We can potentially see further evidence of this with this pic for the keynote...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

HAs anyone noticed some of the negatives of the new phone:

- it's thicker

- still with the 2Mpx camera

Don't forget that it has no front facing camera, no flash, no HW zoom, plastic backing, still locked, same resolution display and no A2DP.

PS: I missed today's window. I forget to put in my buy order for 176.50 until after the keynote was half over. By then it hit a low of 175.50. I'll be watching the after hours trading to see what tomorrow may bring as there should be another dip tomorrow.
  • Reply 44 of 287
    I'm a little disappointed that Apple makes such a big deal out of the iPhone as a storefront (like the developers weren't aware that their apps could actually be sold to iPhone users). I felt like all the demos were missing was a "Just $9.99!" tag graphic. The games looked a bit silly, who's really going to sit on an airplane holding their iPhone like a steering wheel and driving a virtual caveman around? For kids? That's what a DS is for, and it'll never be interrupted by a phone call for daddy. I think the iPhone has huge gaming potential, but it seems in its awkward infancy right now. Once it gets closer to the DS' 70 million units sold, I'll bet there's a lot better selection. Xmas 09 for the first game that really blows people's minds.

The price is right ($199 is very reasonable), second gen hardware probably won't get left behind for a while, my service plan is month-to-month on Sprint. Time to buy.
  • Reply 45 of 287
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

With the way the iTouch users have been treated ($20 for January software update, $10 for v2.0), I wouldn't buy one for love or money. Of course, iTouch users don't have to have a cell plan to use their device, but they probably won't get embedded GPS either.

Yeah on that subject you must be devastated that the new phone has GPS. I guess you're not going to buy it because of that hey?
  • Reply 46 of 287
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post

It looks like iPhone 3G still doesn't support voice dialing. What's with that? Handsfree cell phone use while driving is becoming mandatory in most states and much of Europe, and dialing while driving is probably more dangerous than talking while driving. Nearly every cell phone has this feature. And every mac since about 1990 has supported voice recognition. This should have been a no-brainer on iPhone 1; there's no excuse for omitting it on the new one.

My car's bluetooth lets me voice dial through my iPhone. So it's not a big concern to me. But you raise a good point.

Still, I'd rather see auto manufacturers get on the ball and start including built-in bluetooth in all new cars, even if the government has to force them to do it. If they need to include airbags, seat belts, and those stupid break lights in the center of the rear window, they should be required to have built-in bluetooth by now. I'm tired of almost getting hit by people holding their phones while driving.
  • Reply 47 of 287
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I am VERY happy. And I guess we can finally put to rest the notion that EDGE on the iPhone is anywhere near as fast as 3G (almost as fast, real-world, as WiFi? Whoa.):

And the bombshell that the price is being lowered to $199. WOW. SUPER-aggressive.

Gotta hand to Apple/Steve... this has totally exceeded my expectations/hopes. I'm amazed that the stock isn't going through the roof (yet).

I"m hoping that Teno gets his wish this time, so that you two guys can stop arguing.

Otherwise, I'm going to ask Kasper to give you two your own thread!
  • Reply 48 of 287
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Where is everyone?

Oh well.

With the new pricing, what's going to happen to the iTouch, which is still priced at $299 for 8 Gb, $399 for 16 GB, and $499 for 32 GB?

Also what about the 8 GB $199 Nano?

Maybe the Nano can make it on size, though I don't know, but the iTouch is now really out of touch.

Is Apple trying to get people off those products?

I think the iPod Touch was a stopgap for the overly expensive iPhone that Apple knew not everybody would want or be able to buy (because of cell phone contact or cost). I think Apple will likely drop it entirely or it will replace the iPod Classic.
  • Reply 49 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

The iPhone 2.0 is impressive, even though I'm sorry there was no video chat ability with an iSight camera on the front and full iChat - including with PC users. I'm thinking that we are, to some degree, where we were before iTunes was made available to PC users. Maybe in time for the holiday selling season or MWSF 09.

Question of the week: If you buy your new Mac during the back to school promotion can you apply the iPod discount to the new iPhone?

Another surprise is the lack of more memory. Maybe that's also in the cards for an iChat version hopefully arriving later.

Overall an impressive presentation. Hopefully someone will be there for the session on Snow Leopard scheduled for after lunch.

Memory equals power draw.

The iTouch isn't a phone, where the receiver is on all the same time, so it's not as important.
  • Reply 50 of 287
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

Well you have to be a bit more attentive if you're not going to be duped. The price went UP not down.

Old price $399, new price $199, $10 extra per month over the life of the contract, $240 + $199 = $439.

Even so, the required contract is 2 years. So you're still saving $80, a pretty sizeable price cut.

Quote:

It's amazing how people just lap up Steve Job's marketing spiel every time. I guess you believe in 'free' phones too.

Not really. I'm well-aware that the carrier subsidy isn't a 'gimme', and have been educating ppl as to the fact for years, both here and elsewhere. You make far too many assumptions.

In any case, I think the new 3G iPhone is quite the deal. My main complaint is that I don't want to go through ATT for service, they're quite mediocre where I live/work.

• Reply 51 of 287
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

I think the iPod Touch was a stopgap for the overly expensive iPhone that Apple knew not everybody would want or be able to buy (because of cell phone contact or cost). I think Apple will likely drop it entirely or it will replace the iPod Classic.

Well, that's the rub. It can't do either right now.

Until Flash RAM becomes a lot cheaper, the iPod Classic is going to have to stick around. Maybe by this time next year, we'll have a 128 GB Touch, and then the Classic can go away. But not yet.

And until Apple can convince the entire world to switch cell phones, the iPhone can't replace the Touch. It's not just about price; some people are required by work to use a Blackberry or WinCE device. No reason to stop making stand alone music players altogether, or limit yourself to the tiny nano.
  • Reply 52 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

I agree with you 100%. Like you said, I just hope they are not tracking with this data. In fact, did you read about this "study" where mobile users were tracked without their permission? It was either on CNN (online) or on The BBC (online).

It's not likely they would be doing it, or that data center they bought would get filled up pretty quick!

What would be the point? It's not as though it would be useful to them.

I could see the cell companies needing some of that data. But they alreadt know how much service they need from the calls that go through.

The only ones who would really need that date would be the government for investigations.

But that's one out of a million people at any one time.
  • Reply 53 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jongleur View Post

What's going on Apple! - Just a phone!! so what! No new platforms?, No tablet, no compact? That's right, just a new phone.

O' well, maybe something interesting later this year.

This is definitely a "joke" post.

Ok, very funny. Ha, ha.

move on.
  • Reply 54 of 287
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

No online sales of the new iPhone?

Evidence: Apple Store, iPhone site, and Apple press release make no mention of future online sales. They only mention the Apple retail store and AT&T retail store as "where to buy". The original 2007 press release of the iPhone mentioned the online stores (Apple and AT&T), but the new press release does not and mentions only the brick-and-mortar stores. This is not an accidental omission.

Theory: the iPhone's price drop is possible because cost is now subsidized by the $10 increase in the service plan. To get an iPhone you will now be required to show up in person and sign up for a plan on the spot, to promote lock-in.

You'd think this would be news but Apple didn't announce this change and we're left to connect the dots.

But you can still pick one up at an Apple store with no activation or pushy AT&T sales people. The lack of an online option is probably to drive customers to Apple stores to see macs as well, and to deal with the incredible demand.
  • Reply 54 of 287
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    Quote:

Where is everyone?

Oh well.

With the new pricing, what's going to happen to the iTouch, which is still priced at $299 for 8 Gb, $399 for 16 GB, and $499 for 32 GB?

Also what about the 8 GB $199 Nano?

Maybe the Nano can make it on size, though I don't know, but the iTouch is now really out of touch.

Is Apple trying to get people off those products?

The iPhone 3G isn't officially released. I'm sure* Apple will change the prices on July 11th.

* Educated guess
  • Reply 56 of 287
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:

That would be true if a dollar today were worth the same as a dollar a year from now.

Does anyone know in which countries the new iPhone will be sold unlocked?
  • Reply 57 of 287
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:

$10 extra per month?
  • Reply 58 of 287
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As I recall, the argument was that an EDGE iPhone vs. 3G in many other phones resulted in little difference, because of OS X, WebKit, the much faster CPU and more RAM.

That was only part of it, and I fully agreed with that part.

But some ppl took it further, and were saying things like there was no point to 3G, EDGE was nearly as fast, EDGE has way better latency (not true, btw), etc. etc. Obviously, they were quite wrong about it.

Quote:

We can potentially see further evidence of this with this pic for the keynote...

Yup. As I've said repeatedly, a 3G iPhone will positively FLY on the 'net.

/me happy

Quote:

Don't forget that it has no front facing camera, no flash, no HW zoom, plastic backing, still locked, same resolution display and no A2DP.

I'm just wondering if it can video-record now. Oh, and MMS?

• Reply 59 of 287
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I didn't see any mention of a task manager. It appears even Mobile Me (which looks fantastic by the way) completely overlooks this important feature. What gives? Does Apple think we don't do anything important enough to keep a list of what needs to be done?
  • Reply 60 of 287
    I am totally deflated about this. The fact that simple functionality still hasn't been implemented is maddening. And I still don't understand why everyone wants to video chat. I don't know a single person who video chats, and it would kill cellular bandwidth on top of the fact that you can't do anything else while you use it. The entire concept, as it stands right now, is absurd.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

I am not really a fan of Apple having a persistent connection with my iPhone. Stated in this article:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...t-connections/

Apple will know where I am. Not a fan of this. Of course I can simply not use the application but I do not buy the complete battery life argument. There will be hits but to report to Apple is a bit disconcerting.

Just my 2 cents.

What are you babbling about? It says NOTHING about them tracking your location. What it says is that instead of having apps running in the background, the software will be able to push alerts to you, similar to how it pushes email right now. Now, some apps will have the option of tracking your location (that AP news app and that social networking app comes to mind), but that doesn't go through Apple's servers. And for the record, if you have a phone purchased in the last few years, your location can be tracked already.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CJon View Post

Anyone know if the new iPhone 3G can handle MMS? I hate that viewmymessage.com website... will developers be able to create MMS clients that can txt pics as opposed to email them?

Thanks

They've already done it if you have a jailbroken phone. It isn't difficult to do at all. That said, it's ludicrous that at this point basic features still aren't being implemented.

Quote:

That's assuming that Apple tracks this data, rather that just letting it through. It's not likely that they are saving it either.

I really couldn't care less, as it can be done with any phone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

voice dialing via app store??? or is this a dead issue, calif just past a law about handsfree, voice dialing is hands free, come on apps store do me good.

That app already exists for jailbroken phones. Works great too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robehren View Post

is this that, or is there a newer one coming out?

This is it.