Apple unveils the all new iPhone 3G

Comments

• Reply 81 of 287
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What is the extra $10/month for? Are you assuming that the telcos will charge more for the unlimited data part of the package?

Yep. NO need to assume, see: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...ata/index.html
  • Reply 82 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

I am not really a fan of Apple having a persistent connection with my iPhone.

Apple will know where I am. Not a fan of this. Of course I can simply not use the application but I do not buy the complete battery life argument. There will be hits but to report to Apple is a bit disconcerting.

Just my 2 cents.

If you are old enough to have read George Orwell's book 1984 (written 1949), you were afraid of Big Brother. With the introduction of YouTube, Twitter, Loopt, etc. we all have collectively become Big Brother! Even better, we thrive on it and call it content creation!

Can you turn a little to your left.....I can't see your full expression!
  • Reply 83 of 287
    Two questions first one being more important

1 Why would they not have upgraded the camera, I can't imagine cost being an answer.

2. Why no 32gb option?

• Reply 84 of 287
    jongleurjongleur Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This is definitely a "joke" post.

Ok, very funny. Ha, ha.

move on.

Melgross, the "new" iPhone is only a point release over the original. No major improvements beyond the 3G to allow it on to more networks (albeit faster networks).

The Snow Leopard teaser is more important. The announcement that didn't occur is a internet mobile platform that has the functionality of a full OSX device in a mobile form factor that is more useful size than a phone.
  • Reply 85 of 287
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueLaw View Post

I know there’s always an arsehole like me who expected more, but… I did expect more.

Maybe I was a sucker for the fake leaked pictures showing a thinner all video conferencing iPhone. But it seems to me that our imaginations have got way ahead of Steve’s and Apples.

•\tSo it’s 7mm’s thicker. Is it smaller in any way compared to the original?

•\tThe camera is the same (no better).

•\tNo video conferencing.

But it’s the detail that's beginning to bug me. Like:

•\tThey’re selling it as the phone of speed. But you’re still not going to able to download a song from the iTunes store via 3G. Why is that? Is it legal red tape? Because it’s making Apple look stupid.

•\tWhy isn’t there a file manager so I can save all the PDF’s and .jpeg’s I receive in the mail. What is Apple afraid of, that the filing cabinet won’t look Gay Chic?

I guess I’ll have to just queue up and buy one…

–If I recall correctly, it's just 2mm thicker, which is almost nothing.

–All cell phone cameras are shitty just by virtue of the fact that the lens is so small therefore the optics suck and they have terrible low-light performance. What's the point on wasting a more expensive 5 megapixel sensor on an otherwise shitty camera. The point of the iPhone having a camera is not to replace your camera, but rather to give you the ability to snap a quick pic.

– If Apple implemented video conferencing, you'd only be able to use it with other iPhone users or people on iChat on Mac. But regardless, who actually uses video conferencing in a regular basis, if ever at all. Phones are all about multitasking, and you can't do that with video conferencing. In addition, most people feel very awkward when video conferencing. Not to mention that you'd only be able to video conference over WiFi because video conferencing over the cell network would devastate the bandwidth.

– You can download Apps up to 10MBs with the new 3G iPhone so I would assume you'd be able to download music via the store through 3G.

– Maybe it's coming, but I don't know of any email programs that have a file manager for attachments.
  • Reply 86 of 287
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I think it's a good deal either way now. And I've seen no info yet that Apple has given up taking their monthly kickback from ATT... would be interesting if that were the case.

See the NYTimes link above, AT&T talk specifically about the change to 'upfront' subsidies. Also how do you get $80 savings? 24 x $10 = $240.

Also see Apple's SEC disclosure: http://sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/3.../rrd210213.htm
  • Reply 87 of 287
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Not gonna buy it.

NO WAY.

Jobs farked me with a $599 price tag.

Then he farked me by dropping it to $399.

Then he tried to un-fark me when I farking complained about his farking me twice already by offering me a $100 gift certificate to spend on more farking crap in his store.

Now, if I am lucky, I might get $150 out my current iPhone on ebay.

So, Steve, fark you.

I'll finish serving my time in AT&T, and then unlock and head back to Verizon.

I mean really, no farking front camera? I don't give a flying fark about 3G. Seriously, could not care less.

I want video chat, WhatTheFark?
  • Reply 88 of 287
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Oh please. You believe Apple's self serving drivel.

3G isn't going to cost the phone companies much more than 2G. 3G has more capacity and lower cost per byte, which already has a marginal cost very close to zero. People may use a little more data but certainly nothing justifying a 50% increase in the data cost.

While it is true that 3G has higher capacity and the potential to actually save a carrier money in the long-term, in the short-term, it takes billions to actually BUILD OUT said 3G network.

Quote:

Apple is back off any number of 'innovations' they pioneered with the iPhone, and non-activation will most likely be another one.

Apple will lose money on a non-activated $100 phone, and with the level of unlocking they will lose lots of money. Either they will make locking unbreakable (difficult but ultimately possible) or they will abandon non-activation.

If Apple starts selling iPhones at below cost, I think your analysis is very correct. The current $199 price doesn't seem necessarily below cost though.

• Reply 89 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

It's not news because you're making wild accusations based on little or no evidence. Tinfoil hat, anyone?

Apple reinvented the way mobile phones are sold with the iPhone a year ago by letting people buy them freely and take them home to activate. They're not going to reverse that policy a year later and go back to the "old school" method of forcing people to sign contracts in the store.

The bottom line is that Apple doesn't worry nearly as much as people think about iPhones that end up on other carriers or in other countries. A sale is a sale. Even at $199, I'm willing to bet Apple isn't losing money on an iPhone sale. That's just not the way Apple does things.

There will be an increase in monthly service cost, of course, because you will be on 3G. That's standard for all cell phone providers. No one offers 3G speeds for the same price as EDGE speeds.

Again, no big conspiracy going on here. If it does end up being true that the iPhone will no longer be sold online, I imagine that's due to shipping costs more than anything else.

Actually, most cell phone companies don't distinguish between data rates and cost. Also, I'd bet Apple is breaking even or loosing a couple of bucks with a $199 iPhone, but they make up for people who buy it but jailbreak it with larger revenue sharing portions than before and likely an upfront subsidy through the carriers. I'm guessing AT&T gives Apple $200 upfront for new iPhones signed on a contract.
  • Reply 90 of 287
    Quote:

See the NYTimes link above, AT&T talk specifically about the change to 'upfront' subsidies. Also how do you get $80 savings? 24 x $10 = $240.

Ah, thanks for the link. And if my math is off, forgive me... I'm multitasking heavily over here, a lot's going on.

• Reply 91 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Manonnorthshore View Post

1 Why would they not have upgraded the camera, I can't imagine cost being an answer.

2. Why no 32gb option?

1. Cost is a factor with the new aggressive pricing. But also, as I explained in another post, upgrading the camera wouldn't do much. Resolution is not everything. Most cell phone cameras fail not because of the resolution but because of the size of the lens and other components, which, when upgraded are very expensive.

2. Upgrade path for holiday shopping season, cost of flash memory right now, or size. I'm sure we'll see a 32GB model later this year with the introduction of new iPods and such for the holiday season.
  • Reply 92 of 287
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Manonnorthshore View Post

2. Why no 32gb option?

1. Maybe size? All the phones I've seen with better cameras were thicker. To upgrade the optics, it needs to be a bigger lens, and any zoom or focus mechanism takes space too.

2. I was hoping for 32GB too, not that I really need it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I do not understand, why is it you consistently diss anyone who is not satisfied with an Apple product?

I don't think he consistently disses just anyone who is not satisfied with the product. Mel is usually much more reasonable than that.

But in this case, I think he's right to do so. The person that Melgross "mocked" was disatisfied with the nonexistence of products, not the product announced today. Some people seem to expect half a dozen new products for every keynote.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

I'm a little disappointed that Apple makes such a big deal out of the iPhone as a storefront (like the developers weren't aware that their apps could actually be sold to iPhone users). I felt like all the demos were missing was a "Just $9.99!" tag graphic.

Not just Devs. Apple is promoting this to the journalists too.

Quote:

The games looked a bit silly, who's really going to sit on an airplane holding their iPhone like a steering wheel and driving a virtual caveman around?

Didn't people say that the Wii was similarly ridiculous?
  • Reply 93 of 287
    Quote:

Yep. NO need to assume, see: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...ata/index.html

WOW, quite a shift. I wonder if China Mobile's adamant resistance to the 'monthly kickback to Apple' subsidy model is part of it.

• Reply 94 of 287
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueLaw View Post

I know there?s always an arsehole like me who expected more, but? I did expect more.

Maybe I was a sucker for the fake leaked pictures showing a thinner all video conferencing iPhone. But it seems to me that our imaginations have got way ahead of Steve?s and Apples.

?\tSo it?s 7mm?s thicker. Is it smaller in any way compared to the original?

?\tThe camera is the same (no better).

?\tNo video conferencing.

But it?s the detail that's beginning to bug me. Like:

?\tThey?re selling it as the phone of speed. But you?re still not going to able to download a song from the iTunes store via 3G. Why is that? Is it legal red tape? Because it?s making Apple look stupid.

?\tWhy isn?t there a file manager so I can save all the PDF?s and .jpeg?s I receive in the mail. What is Apple afraid of, that the filing cabinet won?t look Gay Chic?

I guess I?ll have to just queue up and buy one?

They can't do everything at once. It's a learning experience when designing a product.

New hardware must be available, power must be sufficient.

With software, they look to what MOST people want, and do that first.

The other features will come.

Some people say this or that is useless to them because of one minor feature, but most people don't care about that feature.

Apple did fix one problem that many said they weren't happy about, and that was group deletes in Mail.

Other things will come, possibly as third party apps, possibly even free, as a lot of apps look as they will be.

If, somehow, Apple were able to do all of this now, AND drop the price so much, what would you say to a later model? Not enough new features?
  • Reply 95 of 287
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Well you have to be a bit more attentive if you're not going to be duped. The price went UP not down.

Old price $399, new price $199, $10 extra per month over the life of the contract, $240 + $199 = $439.

What did you expects?! did you expect to pay the same for 3G connection!!

This issue was already discussed here many times.
  • Reply 96 of 287
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Date nite fizzled again.

Plastic back?? man what are we doing there.....

I think it's better than two different materials for the back.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Where is everyone?

Oh well.

I don't know about anyone else, but the site was very unstable for me today. And the post disorder gremlin has come back too.
  • Reply 97 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

1. Cost is a factor with the new aggressive pricing. But also, as I explained in another post, upgrading the camera wouldn't do much. Resolution is not everything. Most cell phone cameras fail not because of the resolution but because of the size of the lens and other components, which, when upgraded are very expensive.

To a point. The Nokia N82, for example, is not a huge, heavy phone, yet it manages to take quite a bit better pics than the iPhone. It's 5 megapixel too.

Quote:

2. Upgrade path for holiday shopping season, cost of flash memory right now, or size. I'm sure we'll see a 32GB model later this year with the introduction of new iPods and such for the holiday season.

I think you're exactly right.

• Reply 98 of 287
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Not gonna buy it.

NO WAY.

Jobs farked me with a $599 price tag.

Then he farked me by dropping it to $399.

Then he tried to un-fark me when I farking complained about his farking me twice already by offering me a $100 gift certificate to spend on more farking crap in his store.

Now, if I am lucky, I might get $150 out my current iPhone on ebay.

So, Steve, fark you.

I'll finish serving my time in AT&T, and then unlock and head back to Verizon.

I mean really, no farking front camera? I don't give a flying fark about 3G. Seriously, could not care less.

I want video chat, WhatTheFark?

Another "joke post"?
  • Reply 99 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know about anyone else, but the site was very unstable today. And the post disorder gremlin has come back too.

Amen to that. AI was so bad during the keynote that I just went over to Engadget for the live coverage... no hiccups over there.

• Reply 100 of 287
    so that wasnt too exciting. nothing too ground braking. but 3G and GPS are still very welcomed features.

Yea I dont think you'll see 'free' iphones for a while. sure the price will be less than half in 6 months time. But they'll only be free to clear stocks just before a new iphone is coming out.

I think they'll bring out a 32GB in about 6 months time. and the 8 GB will be booted at some point when they expand to an 'iphone family range' with a smaller, simpler 'iphone nano' product. with multiple colour options (compared to white and black of the iphone 3G models). just like the current ipod nano/classic range.

The white.. now thats a shocker! They've been phasing out white throughout apple for the last few years. and black has always been for 'elite' versions of products like in the 2ndG nano and macbooks ranges. now the whites the elite!?!

I recon they'll change that colour hierarchy when they refresh the range in a years time.

Although it would be brilliant, they wont bring out a new a new iphone (apart from expanding the range with a nano) for a year... as it would result in majorly pissing off their loyal customer base.

But in a year we will be looking to an improved camera, even better 3G data speeds and hopefully some tactile feedback.

But apples a software based company, and thats whats gonna keep their sales up. Im sure there will be constant improvements over the year. And the list of apps will be impressive.

Now what to do with the ipod touch? well they wont get rid of the product because a wide screen media player is still a valuable sector of the market. But I think its gonna be a difficult sale for them, they'll have to drop the prices. but it'll still look weird sitting in the apple stores as its less features but more expensive. Maybe because of this point alone they wont drop the price for the new iphone 3G too low to eat into the ipod touch's market (at least in the apple stores where they are sold side by side).

Overall, I'm sold. I was deterred by the edge before. but now with 3G i'll be picking one up on the 11th for sure.