Apple unveils the all new iPhone 3G

Comments

• Reply 121 of 287
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philipm View Post

I hope they don't keep dropping the price at this rate. My novel in which the iPhone plays a bit part relies on one being a slightly pricey purchase.

Looks like your plot has already been surpassed by the inevitable march of technology.
  • Reply 122 of 287
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I didn't see any mention of a task manager. It appears even Mobile Me (which looks fantastic by the way) completely overlooks this important feature. What gives? Does Apple think we don't do anything important enough to keep a list of what needs to be done?

There will be endless ToDo / outliner / GTD apps.

I'm looking forward* to Things from http://www.culturedcode.com/things/

(* provided O2 / Apple UK don't screw up on pricing)
  • Reply 123 of 287
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Yep. NO need to assume, see: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...ata/index.html

Wow! That is affirmative.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jongleur View Post

Melgross, the "new" iPhone is only a point release over the original. No major improvements beyond the 3G to allow it on to more networks (albeit faster networks).

The only way it could be on more networks is if it came with CDMA radios, too.

Quote:

The Snow Leopard teaser is more important. The announcement that didn't occur is a internet mobile platform that has the functionality of a full OSX device in a mobile form factor that is more useful size than a phone.

How is it you are knowledgeable of an "announcement that didn't occur"? BTW, everything that is known about Snow Leopard clearly states that it is for Macs, not some tablet device.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Not gonna buy it. NO WAY. Jobs farked me with a $599 price tag. Then he farked me by dropping it to $399. Then he tried to un-fark me when I farking complained about his farking me twice already by offering me a $100 gift certificate to spend on more farking crap in his store. Now, if I am lucky, I might get $150 out my current iPhone on ebay. So, Steve, fark you. I'll finish serving my time in AT&T, and then unlock and head back to Verizon. I mean really, no farking front camera? I don't give a flying fark about 3G. Seriously, could not care less. I want video chat, WhatTheFark?

You should have been aware that electronic devices fall in price rather quickly as well as pricing falling to stimulate sales. If you have a problem with this you should not buy electronics and/or not be an early adopter of them. You are the only one to blame.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Amen to that. AI was so bad during the keynote that I just went over to Engadget for the live coverage... no hiccups over there.

Me too.

Quote:

That high? I dunno. The early teardowns I saw for the iPhone (a year ago) indicated a materials cost of around $215... and many of the parts have declined in price since then. There are some better parts in the 3G iPhone, even so, 3G chipsets are not that terribly expensive. If the cost to carriers is $650-800, the carriers are getting soaked.

Don't forget the R&D cost sfor both HW and SW. That makes a huge difference in this type of product, which will restrict many companies from even beginning to compete on Apple's level. Though it does look like Nokia may be taking the iPhone seriously now.[/QUOTE]

Quote:

ALL RIGHT! In after hours trading, AAPL has rebounded back up to $182.45.

I think the coming days should be kind, unless the overall economic situation/oil prices tank stocks in general, hard.

I was betting on it falling below $176.50. So far my plan isn't working.
  • Reply 124 of 287
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

They increased the thickness from 0.46" up to 0.48"... a 0.02" difference. No one will ever notice it, or be able to tell the diff.

Not even third party iPhone case makers? \
  • Reply 125 of 287
    Quote:

Yah, but its a bit frustrating... the 'sweet spot', i.e. the thinnest phones with good camera performance, seems to be 15-17mm: the N82, Viewty, K850i, etc. A bit thicker than the iPhone, but still not what you'd call a 'thick' phone.

I'd be sweet to see an iPhone variant that was more multimedia-centered, and dared to be a touch thicker. And, as a bonus, lots more room for a bigger battery.

I don't think it needs to be thicker. 3.2mp cameras are pretty universal now in the newer slim phones like the SE W890i which is 9.9mm thick and is 3G and has a front facing camera.

I'm mildly disappointed that the iPhone 3G camera didn't improve but the rest of the hardware got the right improvements. Perhaps next year we'll get the whole phone eh?

It's now up to the 2.0 software changes which were glossed over quickly (I hope) and how it integrates with IMAP mail for me. I might end up giving MobileMe a try even if it solves the problem of sharing calendars and appointments amongst my family and company on multiple Macs and phones. Oh, and an O2 iPhone Business tariff or PAYG would be useful too.
  • Reply 126 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Not even third party iPhone case makers? \

Since it's thinner on all edges, it appears to have a significantly reduced circumference making it fit looser in soft cases.
  • Reply 127 of 287
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

(Bill Clinton voice): I feel your pain.

• Reply 128 of 287
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Wow. You just don't get it. Read the discussion. It's all there. The price has gone up it's official. Why do you bother coming to this forum if you don't read the posts, or at least the posts of the person you're replying to. It doesn't make you look good.

Just seen it. I really don't have time going through 4 pages of posts. I guess you also read that Apple is no longer getting revenues from AT&T (If you already mentioned that, then my apology). AT&T is actually paying Apple $200 for each iPhone. So, no matter how much the iPhone cost, AT&T will offset the the monthly fees to cover what they paid to Apple.

While we are talking about current and future cost, don't forget to take into consideration the current money value over the 2 years and the taxes you pay for the upfront $200 you will find out that you actually saved some money
  • Reply 129 of 287
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

I don't think it needs to be thicker. 3.2mp cameras are pretty universal now in the newer slim phones like the SE W890i which is 9.9mm thick and is 3G and has a front facing camera.

How are the pics with that one?

Quote:

I'm mildly disappointed that the iPhone 3G camera didn't improve but the rest of the hardware got the right improvements. Perhaps next year we'll get the whole phone eh?

LOL. True dat.

• Reply 130 of 287
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Just seen it. I really don't have time going through 4 pages of posts. I guess you also read that Apple is no longer getting revenues from AT&T (If you already mentioned that, then my apology). AT&T is actually paying Apple $200 for each iPhone. So, no matter how much the iPhone cost, AT&T will offset the the monthly fees to cover what they paid to Apple.

While we are talking about current and future cost, don't forget to take into consideration the current money value over the 2 years and the taxes you pay for the upfront $200 you will find out that you actually saved some money

Yep, that's exactly what I've already said, except that I posit that AT&T are paying Apple much more. If the 'retail' cost of the phone is around $800 then we can assume AT&T is paying around $600. Less the $240 extra charges then we have to assume that AT&T is getting nailed for around $300+, which is comparable with what most phone subsidies work out to in the US apparently (ref NYTimes article).

It all makes perfect sense.
  • Reply 131 of 287
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Great phone. Great price. Great features. But one thing:

July 11th????

Fuck. What's another 30 days I guess. Of course I'm traveling that day too. Maybe I can pick one up in the morning if I'm lucky.
  • Reply 132 of 287
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Thicker is not better. It's a negative. You like having your phone bigger?

Well yes a thicker iPhone reminds me of other things that come to hand. Really though 20 thousands isn't that much and it does look like they have a much better battery life.

Dave
  • Reply 133 of 287
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Great phone. Great price. Great features. But one thing:

July 11th????

Fuck. What's another 30 days I guess.

That's a bit of what I was thinking. There haven't been any for sale for maybe a month already.
  • Reply 134 of 287
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

That's simply a matter of a software update, which could happen at any time. And because of the iPhone accounting model, it would be free.

I think the iPhone sales accounting model (subscription accounting) was based upon the

continuing shared revenue from AT&T. If there is truly no more revenue sharing, I

am not convinced Apple would continue the same accounting model for sales of the

3G iPhones. Therefore, I am not certain future iPhone OS updates would be free.
  • Reply 135 of 287
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jongleur View Post

Melgross, the "new" iPhone is only a point release over the original. No major improvements beyond the 3G to allow it on to more networks (albeit faster networks).

The Snow Leopard teaser is more important. The announcement that didn't occur is a internet mobile platform that has the functionality of a full OSX device in a mobile form factor that is more useful size than a phone.

Bingo!
  • Reply 136 of 287
    Quote:

How are the pics with that one?

I've not seen pics yet and a brief flickr search got me 6-7 blurry pics. It was more an example though of what low end thin phones have. IIRC the newer Nokia slim phones (well, slim for Nokia anyway) have 3.2mp minimum too.

As I said, mild disappointment. I'll just use it as an excuse to buy that Ricoh GRDII I've been fancying.
  • Reply 137 of 287
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Don't worry. Your plan is Cramer's plan and he and his stooges will be doing

everything they can to make it work. The long period of iPhone unavailability

will probably cause the June quarter earnings to be light, so there will be

a bunch of doom and gloom articles on the Street.com driving the stock

down. Cramer will issue a strong buy sometime in the fall, and you can get

back in.
  • Reply 138 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Don't worry. Your plan is Cramer's plan and he and his stooges will be doing everything they can to make it work. The long period of iPhone unavailability

will probably cause the June quarter earnings to be light, so there will be

a bunch of doom and gloom articles on the Street.com driving the stock

down. Cramer will issue a strong buy sometime in the fall, and you can get

back in.

I like Cramer, I even subscribe to his podcast, but I tend to go against him on everything tech. In this case, I hope he is right and Apple falls to $120 again. But I am a little scared now.
  • Reply 139 of 287
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Well yes a thicker iPhone reminds me of other things that come to hand. Really though 20 thousands isn't that much and it does look like they have a much better battery life.

Dave

Yes, it's true, it's not much thicker, but the battery life isn't fantastically better, only about 25% on 2G. Still 10 hours is pretty good talk time. But Apple have done a pretty poor job of the 3G talk time. A comparable phone like the Nokia 6220 Classic has a 3G/2G ratio of 70%, while Apple's is 50%. Goes to show that Apple is behind the 8 ball when it comes to analog and RF design.

Ref: http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/6220_classic
  • Reply 140 of 287
    guinessguiness Posts: 31member
    Just a note to the Canadians that apple.ca says that the iPhone will be coming to both Rogers and Fido, which was previously unannounced.

http://www.apple.com/ca/iphone/buy/