Apple unveils the all new iPhone 3G

Comments

• Reply 61 of 287
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

I agree with you 100%. Like you said, I just hope they are not tracking with this data. In fact, did you read about this "study" where mobile users were tracked without their permission? It was either on CNN (online) or on The BBC (online).

AT&T is already sharing all of your call data and emails with the federal government.

Back to the OP, I have much less concern about Apple knowing my location.

Another question I have would be if the people in the middle of a two year contract can get the $299 price by extending their current contract or if they aren't "a qualifying customer."
  • Reply 62 of 287
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

Question of the week: If you buy your new Mac during the back to school promotion can you apply the iPod discount to the new iPhone?

Without any doubt or hesitation whatsoever:

NO!
  • Reply 63 of 287
    halfyearsunhalfyearsun Posts: 304member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Well you have to be a bit more attentive if you're not going to be duped. The price went UP not down.

Old price $399, new price $199, $10 extra per month over the life of the contract, $240 + $199 = $439.

It's amazing how people just lap up Steve Job's marketing spiel every time. I guess you believe in 'free' phones too.

where did att announce the prices going up $10/mo? I can't find that anywhere, am I missing something?
  • Reply 64 of 287
    bluelawbluelaw Posts: 6member
    I know there?s always an arsehole like me who expected more, but? I did expect more.

Maybe I was a sucker for the fake leaked pictures showing a thinner all video conferencing iPhone. But it seems to me that our imaginations have got way ahead of Steve?s and Apples.

?\tSo it?s 7mm?s thicker. Is it smaller in any way compared to the original?

?\tThe camera is the same (no better).

?\tNo video conferencing.

But it?s the detail that's beginning to bug me. Like:

?\tThey?re selling it as the phone of speed. But you?re still not going to able to download a song from the iTunes store via 3G. Why is that? Is it legal red tape? Because it?s making Apple look stupid.

?\tWhy isn?t there a file manager so I can save all the PDF?s and .jpeg?s I receive in the mail. What is Apple afraid of, that the filing cabinet won?t look Gay Chic?

I guess I?ll have to just queue up and buy one?
  • Reply 65 of 287
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

No online sales of the new iPhone?

Evidence: Apple Store, iPhone site, and Apple press release make no mention of future online sales. They only mention the Apple retail store and AT&T retail store as "where to buy". The original 2007 press release of the iPhone mentioned the online stores (Apple and AT&T), but the new press release does not and mentions only the brick-and-mortar stores. This is not an accidental omission.

Theory: the iPhone's price drop is possible because cost is now subsidized by the $10 increase in the service plan. To get an iPhone you will now be required to show up in person and sign up for a plan on the spot, to promote lock-in.

You'd think this would be news but Apple didn't announce this change and we're left to connect the dots.

It's not news because you're making wild accusations based on little or no evidence. Tinfoil hat, anyone?

Apple reinvented the way mobile phones are sold with the iPhone a year ago by letting people buy them freely and take them home to activate. They're not going to reverse that policy a year later and go back to the "old school" method of forcing people to sign contracts in the store.

The bottom line is that Apple doesn't worry nearly as much as people think about iPhones that end up on other carriers or in other countries. A sale is a sale. Even at $199, I'm willing to bet Apple isn't losing money on an iPhone sale. That's just not the way Apple does things.

There will be an increase in monthly service cost, of course, because you will be on 3G. That's standard for all cell phone providers. No one offers 3G speeds for the same price as EDGE speeds.

Again, no big conspiracy going on here. If it does end up being true that the iPhone will no longer be sold online, I imagine that's due to shipping costs more than anything else.
  • Reply 66 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Interesting FedEx addition. Nice one. Didn't think of this.

Large corporations like Apple prepay most of their shipping and gas prices wouldn't influence the cost of shipping significantly.
  • Reply 67 of 287
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I"m hoping that Teno gets his wish this time, so that you two guys can stop arguing.

Otherwise, I'm going to ask Kasper to give you two your own thread!

Teno's not all bad, he just needs a sock in the arm once in awhile to keep him halfway honest.

Btw, what's his 'wish'?

• Reply 68 of 287
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

But you can still pick one up at an Apple store with no activation or pushy AT&T sales people. The lack of an online option is probably to drive customers to Apple stores to see macs as well, and to deal with the incredible demand.

I'm not sure that is a given. They may change that before the 11th of July.
  • Reply 69 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

I noticed a removeable sim card. The old iPhone didn't have that, correct?

Incorrect. The old iPhone had a removable sim card.
  • Reply 70 of 287
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:

where did att announce the prices going up $10/mo? I can't find that anywhere, am I missing something?

Well, it's likely to go up because of the 3G speed. This is a given, though. This is not Apple doing something dastardly to its customers. If you get a 3G Blackberry, you're going to pay more for 3G, too.

Funny, how all of a sudden people want to talk about the "life of the contract" instead of the upfront costs. I remember some people getting shot down last year when they rightly pointed out that most $99 Windows mobile devices are actually more expensive than an iPhone over the life of the contract.
  • Reply 71 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post

It looks like iPhone 3G still doesn't support voice dialing. What's with that? Handsfree cell phone use while driving is becoming mandatory in most states and much of Europe, and dialing while driving is probably more dangerous than talking while driving. Nearly every cell phone has this feature. And every mac since about 1990 has supported voice recognition. This should have been a no-brainer on iPhone 1; there's no excuse for omitting it on the new one.

That's simply a matter of a software update, which could happen at any time. And because of the iPhone accounting model, it would be free.
  • Reply 72 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Even so, the required contract is 2 years. So you're still saving $80, a pretty sizeable price cut.

Not really. I'm well-aware that the carrier subsidy isn't a 'gimme', and have been educating ppl as to the fact for years, both here and elsewhere. You make far too many assumptions.

In any case, I think the new 3G iPhone is quite the deal. My main complaint is that I don't want to go through ATT for service, they're quite mediocre where I live/work.

I'm just going by what you said. It's a good deal if you can still get one without activation and unlock it. Then it's a steal.

But more generally its now just the same as all the other phones in term of subsidisation, Apple gave up and joined the crowd and rightly so. It's almost certain that that phone is costing the phone companies more but they are subsiding the cost instead of having the Apple kickback.
  • Reply 73 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueLaw View Post

I know there?s always an arsehole like me who expected more, but? I did expect more.

Maybe I was a sucker for the fake leaked pictures showing a thinner all video conferencing iPhone. But it seems to me that our imaginations have got way ahead of Steve?s and Apples.

?\tSo it?s 7mm?s thicker. Is it smaller in any way compared to the original?

?\tThe camera is the same (no better).

It's not 7mm thicker. More like 0.5 mm thicker, i.e. barely and not noticeably.

It is disappointing that the camera isn't significantly better, though.

• Reply 74 of 287
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This is definitely a "joke" post.

Ok, very funny. Ha, ha.

move on.

I do not understand, why is it you consistently diss anyone who is not satisfied with an Apple product?
  • Reply 75 of 287
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CJon View Post

Anyone know if the new iPhone 3G can handle MMS? I hate that viewmymessage.com website... will developers be able to create MMS clients that can txt pics as opposed to email them?

Don't fret, there will at least be a option to send them witha 3rd-party app. And AT&T subscribers may have a 3rd-party app that can parse the username and password of viewmyapp.com to get theirs with no hassle.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

but what about making sure that e-mails that I send end up in Gmail?

Just use your Gmail account as the outgoing SMTP server on your iPhone.

[QUOTE=MiMiC;1262133I can't see why the above list would be that hard to implement.[/QUOTE]

ost of that can be done with 3rd-party apps. You have to give Apple credit, they did address many of the biggest issues people have with the iPhone.

Quote:

I noticed a removeable sim card. The old iPhone didn't have that, correct?

Yes it did, in the same place as the new one.

Quote:

Thicker is not better. It's a negative. You like having your phone bigger?

it's a half a mm thicker, and since it is more contoured I bet it will feel smaller?and better?in one's hand.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robehren View Post

Wait a second... so is this or is this not the "new iphone" everybody has been talking about? whats this about a front-facing camera i've been hearing about?

my real question is this:

i have been waiting for a phone and saving up for the "new iphone." is this that, or is there a newer one coming out?

any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to AI, Roberhren! This is the one. The front-facing camera was a rumour that has turned out ot be false.

But I expect we'll see it within a year from now, along with a higher res screen, as they are becoming the standard on multi-function phones.

Quote:

Old price $399, new price $199, $10 extra per month over the life of the contract, $240 + $199 = $439.

What is the extra $10/month for? Are you assuming that the telcos will charge more for the unlimited data part of the package?
  • Reply 76 of 287
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Anyone know what processor it uses?
  • Reply 77 of 287
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmz View Post

Anyone know what processor it uses?

Probably only answerable next month.
  • Reply 78 of 287
    Quote:

I'm just going by what you said. It's a good deal if you can still get one without activation and unlock it. Then it's a steal.

But more generally its now just the same as all the other phones in term of subsidisation, Apple gave up and joined the crowd and rightly so. It's almost certain that that phone is costing the phone companies more but they are subsiding the cost instead of having the Apple kickback.

I think it's a good deal either way now. And I've seen no info yet that Apple has given up taking their monthly kickback from ATT... would be interesting if that were the case.

• Reply 78 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

It's not news because you're making wild accusations based on little or no evidence. Tinfoil hat, anyone?

Apple reinvented the way mobile phones are sold with the iPhone a year ago by letting people buy them freely and take them home to activate. They're not going to reverse that policy a year later and go back to the "old school" method of forcing people to sign contracts in the store.

The bottom line is that Apple doesn't worry nearly as much as people think about iPhones that end up on other carriers or in other countries. A sale is a sale. Even at $199, I'm willing to bet Apple isn't losing money on an iPhone sale. That's just not the way Apple does things.

There will be an increase in monthly service cost, of course, because you will be on 3G. That's standard for all cell phone providers. No one offers 3G speeds for the same price as EDGE speeds.

Again, no big conspiracy going on here. If it does end up being true that the iPhone will no longer be sold online, I imagine that's due to shipping costs more than anything else.

Oh please. You believe Apple's self serving drivel.

3G isn't going to cost the phone companies much more than 2G. 3G has more capacity and lower cost per byte, which already has a marginal cost very close to zero. People may use a little more data but certainly nothing justifying a 50% increase in the data cost.

Apple is back off any number of 'innovations' they pioneered with the iPhone, and non-activation will most likely be another one.

Apple will lose money on a non-activated $100 phone, and with the level of unlocking they will lose lots of money. Either they will make locking unbreakable (difficult but ultimately possible) or they will abandon non-activation.
  • Reply 80 of 287
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

No online sales of the new iPhone?

Evidence: Apple Store, iPhone site, and Apple press release make no mention of future online sales. They only mention the Apple retail store and AT&T retail store as "where to buy". The original 2007 press release of the iPhone mentioned the online stores (Apple and AT&T), but the new press release does not and mentions only the brick-and-mortar stores. This is not an accidental omission.

Theory: the iPhone's price drop is possible because cost is now subsidized by the $10 increase in the service plan. To get an iPhone you will now be required to show up in person and sign up for a plan on the spot, to promote lock-in.

You'd think this would be news but Apple didn't announce this change and we're left to connect the dots.

Yep, it seems so. The "Where to buy" only says Apple retail stores and AT&T stores.