It's already begun: iPhone 3G line starting in New York City

Comments

• Reply 21 of 131
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

maybe using "there" instead of "their" is your way of botching the english language.

and if these people aren't scalping them on ebay they are idiots, but if they are they probably are still idiots because if they had a real job they could make more money than by sitting here to buy iphones, even if their profit is 100%, that's only $200.

In other words, get a life, not an iLife.

I suppose it depends on the supply and demand. The non-contractual price is $600 and $700, but that is still a locked iPhone to AT&T. As of right now there is no official unlocking, but possibly the real kicker is that there will reportedly be no iPhones for sale without a contract right away.

However, buying an iPhone under contract for $199 or $299, paying for one month of service plus activation fee at $105, and then canceling the contract an hour later for $175 is only $479 and $579. That is more than one hundred dollars below the full retail price of the handset.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Does it count as a queue if they are bringing mine to the embassy on Friday morning and I have to wait with the security guards until it passes through the scanners and x-ray machines?

Also, I might have missed it but is there the ability to use VoIP applications on the new iPhone or has Apple sort of "blocked" this via the SDK?

Wo is buying your phone for you? Are you buying it outright in full or have you arranged for someone to sign the contract for you?

SDK only allows for VoIP when no using the carrier's network. I'd add TUAW to your RSS as I'm sure as soon as the jailbroken, unlocking and way to add unauthorized apps they will let you know. As will other sites like Digg, Gizmodo and Engadget, but they cover so much more that it can be hard to sort through. I'll try to remember to send you a message of VoIP is possible on v2.0.
  • Reply 22 of 131
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

By going after work in New York City on July 11, 2008, you will wait in a very long line and hope you make it to the door before they close. The processing will be slow too with the overloaded AT&T Window based computers. Being first in line gets you on television for those that still watch it.

While the process is definitely likely to be much slower this time, the only actual data point we have is the experience from last year.

Last year, you could walk into the same store these people are lining up in front of (the glass cube store), in the evening of the same day, and there was no line-up at all.

I still contend that it makes almost no sense at all to line up this year or last, but at least last year it was new, fun, and had that cache of being a historic occasion. This year is just a pale imitation of that experience for those that felt left out by not lining up last year.
  • Reply 23 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

While the process is definitely likely to be much slower this time, the only actual data point we have is the experience from last year.

Last year, you could walk into the same store these people are lining up in front of (the glass cube store), in the evening of the same day, and there was no line-up at all.

I still contend that it makes almost no sense at all to line up this year or last, but at least last year it was new, fun, and had that cache of being a historic occasion. This year is just a pale imitation of that experience for those that felt left out by not lining up last year.

I think "much slower" is an understatement. I wondered about my current credit check situation, so I went for an advance credit check at the nearby AT&T office. It took 10 minutes. The rep said all new AT&T customers require the check. And each line requires its own. Also, if you're porting a family over [my wife & I], *both* people have to be in line.

And that didn't count phone activation. And this guy seemed to be fairly capable, unlike many.

My guess is that it's 20 minutes/person for a new AT&T customer, best case.

I'm waiting till the lines disappear, then going in to buy them.
  • Reply 24 of 131
    I think they will go away after a couple of days or they are probably being paid by some company, A good way to get free web coverage.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are all wearing the same t-shirts on the day before the real launch ?
  • Reply 25 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain Jack View Post

I agree, it's silly, but it's harmless fun, if ppl get a kick out of it let them do it, it's not hurting anyone, they'll probably meet a lot of ppl, is sitting infront of a computer reading forums meant to be more enlightened?

I agree as well. What's the big deal. It will surely be an experience that they won't soon forget. For better or worse. The way the weather has been in the city so far this year, it will be a miracle if they make it through the week without getting soaked.

On another note, does anyone know wether you can purchase more than one phone per person? Doesn't sound possible with the contracts, and I hear the no-contract phones won't be available for some time. Happy 4th everyone
  • Reply 26 of 131
    palex9palex9 Posts: 105member
    ok, if we assume these are not some people who are being paid for this (great publicity obviously) we must deduct that:

1) a great deal of the US population has gone insane

2) there are people that never leave their basement other than when apple releases a product

3) inexplicable herd behavior warranting further investigation

4) the media is feeding us more and more news which is actually none, as to keep up from possibly thinking about real issues concerning us all

the count
  • Reply 27 of 131
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I suppose it depends on the supply and demand. The non-contractual price is $600 and $700, but that is still a locked iPhone to AT&T. As of right now there is no official unlocking, but possibly the real kicker is that there will reportedly be no iPhones for sale without a contract right away.

However, buying an iPhone under contract for $199 or $299, paying for one month of service plus activation fee at $105, and then canceling the contract an hour later for $175 is only $479 and $579. That is more than one hundred dollars below the full retail price of the handset.

Wo is buying your phone for you? Are you buying it outright in full or have you arranged for someone to sign the contract for you?

SDK only allows for VoIP when no using the carrier's network. I'd add TUAW to your RSS as I'm sure as soon as the jailbroken, unlocking and way to add unauthorized apps they will let you know. As will other sites like Digg, Gizmodo and Engadget, but they cover so much more that it can be hard to sort through. I'll try to remember to send you a message of VoIP is possible on v2.0.

Go see your PM my friend.
  • Reply 28 of 131
    charkocharko Posts: 84member
    I think the English language is richer for it's diversity and, as a Brit, have no problems with 'waiting in line' or similar variations.

What does grate on my nerves is when established phrases or idioms are gramatically butchered; eg. the awful and nonsensical ' I could care less' (which I sometimes read here) instead of the obviously correct 'I couldn't care less'.
  • Reply 29 of 131
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain Jack View Post

I agree, it's silly, but it's harmless fun, if ppl get a kick out of it let them do it, it's not hurting anyone, they'll probably meet a lot of ppl, is sitting infront of a computer reading forums meant to be more enlightened?

Well said. Btw, here in Japan it's being released next week and there isn't one commercial or banner about the iPhone anywhere in sight lol I think only hard core Mac fans here know about it.
  • Reply 30 of 131
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    @solipsism,

I agree. I think so myself.

Can't wait. I spoke to Zibri. He says he thinks this will be a bit harder but he has cracked 2.0 as has the DevTeam but they have not really putting the word out there as much. They should have it jailbroken in about 2 or 3 weeks they estimate. This will be interesting for sure.
  • Reply 31 of 131
    cedriccedric Posts: 28member
    It's not about being the first to get the iPhone.

And it's not about the iPhone itself.

It's more about being there. Being part of a group. Identify oneself with something and with other people. It's a socio/cultural phenomena. In a world where individualism, independency and isolation is high...

[CENTER]"He's a real nowhere man,

Sitting in his nowhere land,

Making all his nowhere plans for nobody."

"Ah, look at all the lonely people

Ah, look at all the lonely people

Eleanor Rigby picks up the rice in the church where a

wedding has been

Lives in a dream

Waits at the window, wearing the face that she keeps in a

jar by the door

Who is it for?

All the lonely people

Where do they all come from ?

All the lonely people

Where do they all belong ?"
    [/CENTER]

...a queue is one of the few occasions where people meet new people, friendships are made and interdependency is increased. That the queue happen in the US and especially NYC is due to the fact that independency is extremely high whereas in Asia interdependency is higher. I would compare the phenomena with the sit-ins of the '60s. It's a way to break-out of the stressful and frenetic everyday life where they

[CENTER]"Can't get no satisfaction"[/CENTER]

But..

[CENTER]"The Times They Are A-Changin"[/CENTER]

They are stopping the time by standing in line.

[CENTER]"Look what's happening out in the streets

Got a revolution Got to revolution"

"You say you want a revolution

Well you know

We all want to change the world"
    [/CENTER]

It's a revolution, that's the real purpose and not the iPhone. The iPhone is just a mean used as an excuse to reach the real goal.

[CENTER]"We Shall Overcome"[/CENTER]
  • Reply 32 of 131
    btcutterbtcutter Posts: 5member
    10 min to activate???? they are dreaming.

I suspect average of at least 20 min if not 30 min per customer from filling out paper work, credit check and porting phone numbers (Apple employees don't even know how to do this yet). oh, not to mention checking upgrade elgibility and arguing with customers.

Let just say there are 20 Apple employees working non-stop to activate a phone and stores open at 24 hrs. At 20 min per customer, one Apple store can only active 1440 phones per day (and that is NON-STOP).

With 2200 AT&T retail stores and 164 Apple stores, average (high assumption here) 10 employees per AT&T and 20 per Apple store, active 3 phones per employee per hr for 12 hrs straight. There will be about 910,080 iPhone 3G sold in the US.

You have to be the 1st 360 people in line for AT&T store to get iPhone 3G on 1st day. Or, 1st 720 people at Apple Store.

Are you willing to wait????

Apple and AT&T are stupid. They could have easily sold 3-5x more phone if activation at the store isn't a requirement. How hard is it to set it up so either you activate within 7 days or get hit with huge penalty?? come on....
  • Reply 33 of 131
    jeffhrsnjeffhrsn Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

we call them idiots. way too many on this planet.

Indeed! Reminds me of all the people who queued a week ahead last year; I walked out of the Apple Store with the same phone as they did yet spent a grand total of 30 minutes in line on release day. Whatever.
  • Reply 34 of 131
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Does it count as a queue if they are bringing mine to the embassy on Friday morning and I have to wait with the security guards until it passes through the scanners and x-ray machines?

Also, I might have missed it but is there the ability to use VoIP applications on the new iPhone or has Apple sort of "blocked" this via the SDK?

VOIP for the iPhone is already in development using the SDK officially. Check it out http://www.icall.com/iphone/
  • Reply 35 of 131
    btcutterbtcutter Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffhrsn View Post

Indeed! Reminds me of all the people who queued a week ahead last year; I walked out of the Apple Store with the same phone as they did yet spent a grand total of 30 minutes in line on release day. Whatever.

with this new activation policy, I suspect there will be a wait for the 1st week.
  • Reply 36 of 131
    lidofidolidofido Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

It's not about being the first to get the iPhone.

And it's not about the iPhone itself.

It's more about being there. Being part of a group. Identify oneself with something and with other people. It's a socio/cultural phenomena. In a world where individualism, independency and isolation is high...

]"He's a real nowhere man,

Sitting in his nowhere land,

Making all his nowhere plans for nobody."

This is some kind of ridiculous, tongue-in-cheek hippie joke post right? If the original poster is trying to posit the iPhone and Apple as some kind of cultural catalyst of human understanding and not just another consumerist company, the sheep mentality fostered on us by advertising has won; we've degenerated into people who can't think for themselves about what's actually important.

And if it IS a joke, it's really lame.
  • Reply 37 of 131
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Except that they pretty soon had a major shortage of phones last year - at one point only 2 stores in the entire U.S. had them in stock. It took a month or two to fully supply every store. How soon we forget.
  • Reply 38 of 131
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    This is sick, it's just fucking phone.
  • Reply 39 of 131
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

@solipsism,

I agree. I think so myself.

Can't wait. I spoke to Zibri. He says he thinks this will be a bit harder but he has cracked 2.0 as has the DevTeam but they have not really putting the word out there as much. They should have it jailbroken in about 2 or 3 weeks they estimate. This will be interesting for sure.

What's the point if jailbreaking and unlocking the 2.0 iPhone? You can only buy it for $199 with a contract and you can buy it unlocked (At least in Europe) without a contract for higher price without worrying about it being bricked by future update. Beside, you have the App Store now where you can find all type of applications. However, with App Store maybe you cannot customize your iPhone with those ugly icons and themes I have been seeing online from time to time (who really want to use those anyway).

I won't be surprised if AT&T refused to sell you another 3G iPhone for $199 if you cancel your first 3G iPhone contract.
  • Reply 40 of 131
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

VOIP for the iPhone is already in development using the SDK officially. Check it out http://www.icall.com/iphone/

Is it you who owned that url since 1996?