It's already begun: iPhone 3G line starting in New York City

Comments

• Reply 61 of 131
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

do these people have jobs? 1 full week for a phone you could buy a day or two later,

just silly,

There in it for the free Apple tee shirts...
  • Reply 62 of 131
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    My first day in New York ever and it's the 4th of July!

Passed the queue on my way into a packed store, couldn't believe that they would be there for that reason.

The fireworks were great and so was the crowd under trying conditions. Free ride home on the subway for all!
  • Reply 63 of 131
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    ...Just nuts. Someone call CPS.
  • Reply 64 of 131
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

one Americanism that I do not understand is the dropping of essential prepositions. I hope it's not just laziness, but it can lead to ambiguity. For example 'I'm going to write my Congressman'.

This is a colloquialism, to be sure, but it is not ambiguous. Nobody would reasonably think for one moment that it meant the speaker/writer was going to write the two words "my congressman", and it is a tiny mental leap to understanding what is actually meant. English is imperfect on both sides of the pond (oh, wait, it's really an ocean, so I guess I can't colloquially call it a pond, can I?)

While we may drop words over here, you blokes tend to use superfluous words over there. Ex. "John might enjoy this, and Fred might do, too." Why the "do"? You've already dropped "so", so why include "do"? Either stick with "Fred might, too" or spell it all out as "Fred might do so, too."

Getting back to the iPhone, can someone explain why VoIP is so desired by so many? I can see a limited # of heavy voice users wanting it, but I doubt I will ever use up the 500 (is it?) monthly minutes in the lowest plan from AT&T. Or would VoIP still be beneficial in some other way?

Now, if someone could find a way to tether the iPhone so I could network my MacBook through it, that would get my attention. I know several others who are Jonesing (another Americanism? or do you Brits use this slang too?) for tethering as well.

Oh, and "standing on line" is used in the Philadelphia area too, though more often by youth and/or the less-educated. At the risk of sounding haughty, it's one of many English subtleties that can help you determine the class of the speaker. For example, adults who say it are also very likely to pronounce "on" with two syllables, as "owe-in". In other words, it's a bit guttural.
  • Reply 65 of 131
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What? That's a ridiculous stance. After all, you can get up from your computer and go do other things like swim, go to town and meet people as I did today. Getting in line now is nothing short of sad. Capitalism at its worst if you ask me.

It's interesting making this assertion, you have >5,800 posts. Assuming 2 mins per post, that would put you at ~8.1 days. Just a bit more time than they will wait in line. \
  • Reply 66 of 131
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Honestly, I don't see why people have to get so angry and feel so superior whenever they see anyone doing something that makes no sense to them

I so agree. I mean, I don't understand those people in the same way I don't understand people who spend their spare time spotting trains or planes, or people who jump off bridges with rubber bands tied around their ankles. But they don't give a shit what other people think and they are not hurting anybody, so all power to them. I think it is the opposite of the herd mentality - they are the individualists. And I am also sure the phone is kind of secondary. They are there for the 'party'.

Having said that, I'm not sure what I think of the fact that people line up for a week to get their hands on a second generation gadget that will be available to all and sundry within a day or two anyway. Its a pretty extreme expression of gadget worship. Party or not.
  • Reply 67 of 131
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I so agree. I mean, I don't understand those people in the same way I don't understand people who spend their spare time spotting trains or planes, or people who jump off bridges with rubber bands tied around their ankles. But they don't give a shit what other people think and they are not hurting anybody, so all power to them. I think it is the opposite of the herd mentality - they are the individualists. And I am also sure the phone is kind of secondary. They are there for the 'party'.

Having said that, I'm not sure what I think of the fact that people line up for a week to get their hands on a second generation gadget that will be available to all and sundry within a day or two anyway. Its a pretty extreme expression of gadget worship. Party or not.

I'm not sure I would call willingly getting in line for long periods of time comparable to individualists, but yeah, if It's their time to waste, they may waste it that way if they choose. I hate being in line though, community or not.
  • Reply 68 of 131
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Just an opinion, but I image they're in line to buy several of them and then scalp them on eBay or another country. Otherwise I don't see why on earth anyone would stand in line for a week for anything but food.

I'm with you on that one. Holy crap I love Apple but this is utter stupidity. We should call those people "iSlaves" - the poor souls.
  • Reply 69 of 131
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Just an opinion, but I image they're in line to buy several of them and then scalp them on eBay or another country. Otherwise I don't see why on earth anyone would stand in line for a week for anything but food.

How would it be worthwhile? You can only buy one at a time. Even last year, there was a two-per-person limit.
  • Reply 70 of 131
    ebrunnebrunn Posts: 75member
    Ill think of these people when I walk in mid afternoon on the 11th and pick mine up.
  • Reply 71 of 131
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Just so I am up to date. Aren't there people without jobs, world hunger, gas over 4.50 a gallon, the supposed war on terror, debatable genocide in Zimbabwe, not to mention a million more important things going on? Yes it is fun to be first but these people are waiting in line for a product that is already obsolete, is marginally improved (my opinion here, so save the flames and debates), and in my opinion again still an iPod with now a 3G radio? Our priorities as a country are eff'd.

End of social-political rant.

Have a good day fellow AI'rs.
  • Reply 72 of 131
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I don't get it either... it's not that different to the current one, hardware wise. The software changes can be installed on the current gen.
  • Reply 73 of 131
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Talk about your 15 minutes (6 days) of fame

After spending a week talking Apples with all those around you, days talking to reporters asking "Why"? and being in the cold, damp NY air, they won't be able to speak for a week

Skip

PS And the more that line up, the more that will want to, or at least, the more that will get in line early Friday ? it's just the way Apple / Mac folks are.
  • Reply 74 of 131
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    Hi All

Just talked to some of the folks in the queue and it's true, they are there for the phone. Lovely people, including a family with infant and cot!

Take care.
  • Reply 75 of 131
    3goldens3goldens Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

By going after work in New York City on July 11, 2008, you will wait in a very long line and hope you make it to the door before they close. The processing will be slow too with the overloaded AT&T Window based computers. Being first in line gets you on television for those that still watch it.

The Fifth Avenue store is open 24 hours a day.
  • Reply 76 of 131
    3goldens3goldens Posts: 34member
    Seems to me it could be one of three things.

Either they are being paid to sit there for other people who will either take there place when the time comes or do the old swappo a roo when the selling begins..

or....

someone has figured out already how to buy them, activate them and the resell them.

People always find a way around these kind of things eventually.

or finally they are seeking they're 15 minutes in the limelight as were talking about them now and the media will be on to them next.

6:00 Evening News

Anchor:

Good Evening Ladies and Gentleman,

At the top of the news tonight we have yet another record day of casualties in Iraq, gas prices have now gone over the $5.00 mark across the nation and a small nuclear device has been detonated in Korea,

BUT first we are going to take you to Fifth Avenue in New York City where 14 people began a lonely 7 day vigil to be the first with the new Apple Iphone,

over to you Henrietta, tell us what's going on over there......just how long is Apple predicting it will take people to get this new device? Is this a major concern for the company?

• Reply 77 of 131
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post

The Fifth Avenue store is open 24 hours a day.

8 days a week, 400 days a year!
  • Reply 78 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Hi All

Just talked to some of the folks in the queue and it's true, they are there for the phone. Lovely people, including a family with infant and cot!

Take care.

Lovely people, but ultimately insanely materialistic.
  • Reply 79 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't get it either... it's not that different to the current one, hardware wise. The software changes can be installed on the current gen.

You're not meant to get it, you're sane.
  • Reply 80 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

It's interesting making this assertion, you have >5,800 posts. Assuming 2 mins per post, that would put you at ~8.1 days. Just a bit more time than they will wait in line. \

Holy shit that's a terrible comparison.