It's already begun: iPhone 3G line starting in New York City

Comments

• Reply 101 of 131
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Actually, we may all be missing the point....

http://www.WaitingForApples.com/

Aha! So it's a political agenda, is it?
  • Reply 102 of 131
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

After watching the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest, this iPhone line-waiting seems to be only the SECOND dumbest thing going on in NY this week.

Aw, c'mon! It's a tradition! Just like Boxing Day, National Nude Day and World UFO Day.
  • Reply 103 of 131
    sfjeffsfjeff Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charko View Post

I think the English language is richer for it's diversity and, as a Brit, have no problems with 'waiting in line' or similar variations.

What does grate on my nerves is when established phrases or idioms are gramatically butchered; eg. the awful and nonsensical ' I could care less' (which I sometimes read here) instead of the obviously correct 'I couldn't care less'.

It's means it is, not belonging to it.
  • Reply 104 of 131
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SFJeff View Post

It's means it is, not belonging to it.

Did you really sign up to post on a tech-based forum so you point out misplaced punctuation? Come'on!
  • Reply 105 of 131
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alpal16 View Post

So, do we call these people "iHeads"?

No- they are called "iDiots".
  • Reply 106 of 131
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,825member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Standing in line for a week in NYC with a baby should be illegal. Unreal. Where is the department of social services when you need them?

Well actually, they don't. They play tag and I'd guess that the baby is only there for the occasional outing, I've only seen it once but not at night.

Cheers.
  • Reply 107 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Those are good examples how we pigeonhole ourselves into thinking one form is more correct than the other.

On the bus is far less precise than in the bus, unless we mean we have jumped on the hood, bumper or roof.

When we are at school, we can also be in school as it relates to the school's grounds, a building on the property or even the time in which school takes place.

Yet it would be illogical to say we are in the phone, but we could say we are at the phone if somehow we are relating to geographical location.

We can be at, on or in lunch. All have the same meaning and I know I have used each of those phrasing on numerous occasions while at or in the cafeteria but never on the cafeteria.

Isn't it odd you all use the word precise when you actually are looking for accurate? I guess you are all precise, but it doesn't do anyone any good at all if you are inaccurate. Precision is the ability to do something repeatedly. Accuracy is the quality of being near to the true value.
  • Reply 108 of 131
    sfjeffsfjeff Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Did you really sign up to post on a tech-based forum so you point out misplaced punctuation? Come'on!

Not really, but consider that I was responding to a comment about the mis-use of English. \
  • Reply 109 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Isn't it odd you all use the word precise when you actually are looking for accurate? I guess you are all precise, but it doesn't do anyone any good at all if you are inaccurate. Precision is the ability to do something repeatedly. Accuracy is the quality of being near to the true value.

You'll have to supply some sources before we swallow that one. The terms are synonyms in that sense. The OED doesn't even have a definition for precise that includes a repetitive action.
    precise |priˈsīs|

adjective

— Marked by exactness and accuracy of expression or detail.

accurate |ˈakyərit|

adjective

— Correct in all details; exact.
  • Reply 110 of 131
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Isn't there like a Grammar/Spelling/Vocabulary Forum you all could join and judge each other's usage rather than posting your ridiculous banters on an electronics/computer software forum and sparing the rest of us all your constant BS?
  • Reply 111 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Isn't there like a Grammar/Spelling/Vocabulary Forum you all could join and judge each other's usage rather than posting your ridiculous banters on an electronics/computer software forum and sparing the rest of us all your constant BS?

Apparently not.
  • Reply 112 of 131
    nerudaneruda Posts: 440member
    I have seen several pictures of the line and some of the people waiting appear to have toddlers with them. Anyone standing in line for a day (I refuse to think that someone would be idiotic enough to do this for week) with a baby in tow should be reported to DYFS.

Back on topic: this is just idiotic. As others have mentioned, you will probably be able to get the phone on release day without standing in line. I also don't see (a) supplies running out or (b) there being significant lines on the following day. You can't wait one more day to get this phone? Really?

Back off topic: please Apple, untie this phone from AT&T (so that different plans/rates become available). Your sales will grow significantly.
  • Reply 113 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

Back off topic: please Apple, untie this phone from AT&T (so that different plans/rates become available). Your sales will grow significantly.

What do you think would happen if the iPhone was untied from AT&T?
  • Reply 114 of 131
    nerudaneruda Posts: 440member
    Quote:

What do you think would happen if the iPhone was untied from AT&T?

I know about 5 people on different carriers who do not want to switch and would buy it if they could stick with their carriers (most on Verizon, who they like because of their solid coverage, can you hear me know, it is actually true).

Also, one would hope that if more than one carrier is allowed to sell the iPhone, the competition would at least make a wider variety of plans if not lower rates available.

Apple has used visual voicemail to justify AT+T exclusivity. I don't think that having visual voicemail outweighs the benefits of opening the iPhone up to other carriers. I would gladly give that ONE feature up in order to have an iPhone on my carrier of choice.
  • Reply 115 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

I know about 5 people on different carriers who do not want to switch and would buy it if they could stick with their carriers (most on Verizon, who they like because of their solid coverage, can you hear me know, it is actually true).

Also, one would hope that if more than one carrier is allowed to sell the iPhone, the competition would at least make a wider variety of plans if not lower rates available.

Apple has used visual voicemail to justify AT&T exclusivity. I don't think that having visual voicemail outweighs the benefits of opening the iPhone up to other carriers. I would gladly give that ONE feature up in order to have an iPhone on my carrier of choice.

VV isn't an AT&T exclusive feature. I don't recall ever reading that as a justification. The fact that AT&T bent over for Apple and allowed profit sharing looks to be the main reason why they wen with them.

As for untying from AT&T or even unlocking the iPhone still wouldn't get an iPhone Verizon or Sprint. The only other major US carrier that could the iPhone is T-Mobile, but they have no 3G coverage and when it does comes online it will use different channels, so for those users their best bet is to by a used 2G iPhone.

While CDMA2000-based networks have a minimal worldwide percentage compared to the UTMS-based networks, the US is about 50-55% CDMA2000 and there are enough users worldwide to justify a separate handset production, Apple isn't the sort of company to make separate devices for different markets. It's just not their style, so I think that even when the AT&T contract ends the other US carriers may still be without an iPhone.
  • Reply 116 of 131
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

You'll have to supply some sources before we swallow that one. The terms are synonyms in that sense. The OED doesn't even have a definition for precise that includes a repetitive action.
    pre?cise |priˈsīs|

adjective

? Marked by exactness and accuracy of expression or detail.

ac?cu?rate |ˈakyərit|

adjective

? Correct in all details; exact.

Those words mean specific things in statistics, but it's jargon in that sense.
  • Reply 117 of 131
    tantrumtantrum Posts: 41member
    The fact is, Verizon told Steve Jobs to take a hike when he pitched the iPhone to them.
  • Reply 118 of 131
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    Smacks of an Apple marketing initiative to me...you'll just never be able to convince me that "normal" people, people with jobs and families who make enough money independently to afford an iPhone + contract, even people who aren't very bright, would stand/sit in line for a week to purchase something which has no supply constraints.

And once the first spot is taken, even the mystique of getting the first 3G iPhone at the flagship store is gone.

But an Apple marketing initiative to generate media hype for the phone? Yep, I can believe that.

And it's working nicely, isn't it? I figure the major networks will pick it up this week.
  • Reply 119 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felix01 View Post

Smacks of an Apple marketing initiative to me.

Apple's decision to be highly secretive creates a great deal of free marketing for the company. Apple is somewhat paradizyl, and perhaps that is part of it's endurung interest. I see it as being a well known, but niche company, that is considered high-end, yet is affordable. Forwhatever reason (and I'd like so theories on this) Apple does have a cult following and there will be people who will wait in line for new products. I even know someone who went to NYC for the first time last year and was excited about going to the Apple Store; not the Statue or Liberty or Guggenheim or any of the other fantastic places NYC has to offer. Even more odd, he had never owned a fraking Mac! I doubt Apple marketing had anything to do with these squatters.
  • Reply 120 of 131
    Saddo's! too much frickin time on their hands. . . .