Apple allegedly sanctioning Rogers for iPhone rates

Comments

• Reply 41 of 129
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drizzx View Post

Ironic: coincidental; unexpected: It was ironic that I was seated next to my ex-husband at the dinner.

While I agree that a few of her lyrics are a stretch on the definition, most of them are accurate to the definition.

There is no irony in sitting next to you husband at a party, per se, only ironic if you went to the party to avoid the boring git.

Here's a funny analysis of the ironic lack of irony in "Ironic" by Irish comedian Ed Byrne:

"There's nothing ironic about being stuck in a traffic jam when you're late for something. Unless you're a town planner. If you were a town planner and you were on your way to a seminar of town planners at which you were giving a talk on how you solved the problem of traffic congestion in your area, couldn't get to it because you were stuck in a traffic jam, that'd be well ironic."

"Rain on your wedding day is ironic only if marrying a weatherman and he set the date."

"A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break, that's inconsiderate office management. A no-smoking sign in a cigarette factory - irony."

Ref - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony
  • Reply 42 of 129
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Ted Rogers doesn't eat Apples.

That's ironic.
  • Reply 43 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Ted Rogers doesn't eat Apples.

That's ironic.

You should watch, "The devil's hands are idle plaything" on Futurama. Its a hilarious episode on irony and its misuse (I may just like it since I am an English major, lol)
  • Reply 44 of 129
    It's not so much that I'm upset that other countries that are licensed to sell the iPhone are offering unlimited data or even the 36 month term commitment. What really boggles the mind is that Rogers is completely ignoring not just what consumers are saying to the media but also are choosing to ignore what competitors here in Canada are offering. Telus for example is a Nationwide carrier that for over a week has advertised $30.00 unlimited data plan for smartphones. Why is it taking Rogers so long to make a decision to do the same? Do they realize by holding off they will only upset their customers to the point of porting to the competition with out any hope of them returning? It's almost as if they are trying to ride the gravy train as long as they can no matter how much damage it does to the company image or their stock value. Don't they realize the bad press is not just in the Canadian news but has drawn attention from several major news sites around the world?
  • Reply 45 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

There is no irony in sitting next to you husband at a party, per se, only ironic if you went to the party to avoid the boring git.

Since such an occurrence could be construed as happening the opposite way as one would assume, it can be considered ironical even if the seating arrangement was just a coincidence.

As for the colloquial use of the term, the latter half of the 20th century has altered the definition to a point that only the most pedantic would find fault with the term. Language evolves, and the advent of instant, worldwide communication is speeding up that process considerably.

In that same vein, people oft use the word sarcastic when they are actually being or sardonic or derisive.
  • Reply 46 of 129
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Given that Rogers are complete douchebags, and given that the rates they intend ($60-150/month!) to charge are absurd, I, as a Canadian, am glad Apple are shipping iPhones to other countries where reasonable network rates mean the phones will actually sell. http://ruinediphone.com/ for more.
  • Reply 47 of 129
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Additional info can be found here as well: http://www.iClarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1469
  • Reply 48 of 129
    stubeckstubeck Posts: 140member
    I don't think its really sanctioning, its probbaly just being realistic. With the data plans given there isn't going to be a huge demand at the moment, so they'd rather give phones to other countries where people are more likely to care. Not really caring about customers, but more caring about selling more items.
  • Reply 49 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Imagine Engine View Post

Telus for example is a Nationwide carrier that for over a week has advertised $30.00 unlimited data plan for smartphones. Why is it taking Rogers so long to make a decision to do the same? Do they realize by holding off they will only upset their customers to the point of porting to the competition with out any hope of them returning? It's almost as if they are trying to ride the gravy train as long as they can no matter how much damage it does to the company image or their stock value. Don't they realize the bad press is not just in the Canadian news but has drawn attention from several major news sites around the world?

A week to change a pricing plan is not a slow time period. Look at Apple and some of their pricing for components, despite the price in industry going down immensley in the same period. It takes a while for companies to change prices, so if its a month from now and nothing changed a bit of complaining can occur, but right now give them some more time.

Notice that I'm not trying to say what they're doing is good.
  • Reply 50 of 129
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Naturally, everybody would like to see wireless prices lowered and in particular, get unlimited data plans. However,…

Rogers has said that the Canadian Data Plans are not out of line. Unlimited Data Plans are, and as such, Americans are paying for something they or the majority of customers are not using.

Now before some of you go ballistic, note the difference between the US and Canadian plans.
    • Text messages are only charged to the sender in Canada

• Calls from a Rogers to another Rogers phone are free

• AT&T Data Plans are unlimited

Now, on the last point I have to admit that I lean to Rogers on this one. Unless somebody can prove to me how we can come near the Monthly Data Usages.

For example
    • The $60 400MB Data Plan gets you up to 200,000 text emails, or 3100 web pages or 1360 photo attachments.

• For $15 more, you get basically double the amounts.

For the life of me, I cannot see how I could, or have the time, to utilize even the lowest Monthly Data Usage.

Interesting, AT&T iPhone customers are spending an average of $95 per month for their 'unlimited' services. I would be interested seeing how that breaks down.

I personally like the $60 plan, as it is only a buck more than I am paying now. Unfortunately, the Daytime Voice Minutes may push me up to $75. Perhaps I will start sending "Call me" text emails. Or like the car, reconsider my communications' strategies.
  • Reply 51 of 129
    Carriers all over have been criticized for steep prices on their iPhone plans. Here in Norway too - and today they just announced a new plan with unlimited data, but with no minutes or SMS included - and a much higher price for the actual phone. So the iPhone is still targeted towards the high end consumers. I think that's the main reason people are complaining. It's not that the iPhone plans are really all that expensive, it's just that a lot of people found out that they weren't really in the target market after all, and THAT's what they're actually disappointed about. The iPhone plans cost a lot - but if you use a lot of data traffic they're the cheapest plans available from any carrier in the country.
  • Reply 52 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Text messages are only charged to the sender in Canada

People pay to RECEIVE text messages in the US?!?!?!?
  • Reply 53 of 129
    As someone who used to be a Rogers customer for cable and high speed internet, I have a totally different view.

Their customer service is so bad that I would not sign up for cell service with Rogers even if they offered unlimited data AND gave me an iPhone for free.

I am going to make do until another 3G provider shows up. (Fido doesn't count, owned by Rogers.)
  • Reply 54 of 129
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Here's a funny analysis of the ironic lack of irony in "Ironic" by Irish comedian Ed Byrne:

"There's nothing ironic about being stuck in a traffic jam when you're late for something. Unless you're a town planner. If you were a town planner and you were on your way to a seminar of town planners at which you were giving a talk on how you solved the problem of traffic congestion in your area, couldn't get to it because you were stuck in a traffic jam, that'd be well ironic."

"Rain on your wedding day is ironic only if marrying a weatherman and he set the date."

"A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break, that's inconsiderate office management. A no-smoking sign in a cigarette factory - irony."

Ref - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony

I went through a big exercise on that song about 12 years ago, and I thought the one that was truly ironic was "ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife." I mean, you'd think someone with so much cutlery of one type, would have at least one of another.
  • Reply 55 of 129
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ct77 View Post

I don't know but I admire anyone who has learned it as a second language!

On English (funny off topic sub-thread)

Strange thing is, whilst it is a bitch of a language to master truly well (many Americans for example seem to dislike adverbs 'he did it real quick'), it is an amazingly forgiving language when it comes to us listening. When many errors are made by a foreign user we still manage to mostly fathom the meaning. On the other hand, if I make a few mistakes in French or Spanish they do not seem to be able to understand at all. Oh well C'est la merde

It is a shame Apple and Canada are missing out on the opportunity here. I don't know the Canadian market at all, was there no better partner for Apple or perhaps partners? Or is it an inherently strange system in Canada all together?

wow, when I did an edit, the options to save had changed to VOTE NOW instead of SAVE! lol, I wonder what happened there?
  • Reply 56 of 129
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Naturally, everybody would like to see wireless prices lowered and in particular, get unlimited data plans. However,?

Rogers has said that the Canadian Data Plans are not out of line. Unlimited Data Plans are, and as such, Americans are paying for something they or the majority of customers are not using.

Now before some of you go ballistic, note the difference between the US and Canadian plans.
    • Text messages are only charged to the sender in Canada

• Calls from a Rogers to another Rogers phone are free

• AT&T Data Plans are unlimited

Now, on the last point I have to admit that I lean to Rogers on this one. Unless somebody can prove to me how we can come near the Monthly Data Usages.

For example
    • The $60 400MB Data Plan gets you up to 200,000 text emails, or 3100 web pages or 1360 photo attachments.

• For $15 more, you get basically double the amounts.

For the life of me, I cannot see how I could, or have the time, to utilize even the lowest Monthly Data Usage.

Interesting, AT&T iPhone customers are spending an average of $95 per month for their 'unlimited' services. I would be interested seeing how that breaks down.

I personally like the $60 plan, as it is only a buck more than I am paying now. Unfortunately, the Daytime Voice Minutes may push me up to $75. Perhaps I will start sending "Call me" text emails. Or like the car, reconsider my communications' strategies.

Someone did a quick test on data used for various web pages. I don't recall the exact number, but I think, with data rich sites such as facebook, the average was around 1.3MB. so, Rogers claim of 3100 webpages is skewed...closer to 300 or 10 page loads per day. Even if you half the average size per page, you end up at 20 page loads per day. That would not be difficult to go over at all. Add in email attachments, appstore downloads, and you are easily over you data allotment.
  • Reply 57 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeDyndale View Post

Apparently.

"Text, Instant, Picture, and Video messages are charged when sent or received, whether read or unread, solicited or unsolicited. AT&T does not guarantee delivery of messages."

"When a single message is sent to multiple recipients, the sender is charged for one message for each recipient and each recipient is charged for the message received.

Interesting what you find when you read the fine print. http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...-terms.jsp#gsm

As I stated before, the average iPhone bill in the US is $95 per month. Anybody have a real breakdown of their AT&T iPhone bill to help illustrate the actual costs or are most of the so called experts here talking through the tops of their hat?
  • Reply 58 of 129
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There are plenty of words like that. I'd say most of these stem from using different english roots that eventually converge into the same spelled word. The list below has many more than I though there were; I I can't contend for it's accuracy as I haven't had time to look it over. I didn't even know contronym/contranym was word. I'm curious when that was coined.

I loved the list, thank you. However, I suspect rather than a different root being the cause of diametrically opposite meanings for the same word or phrase it could well be common ignorance and repetition of the errors. Take for example, "I could care less", the totally incorrect use of the phrase "I couldn't care less". You hear and read this atrocious error on TV in books from the President and everyday on this blog. How long before it is accepted by major dictionaries as a legitimate way of saying 'I Do Not Care'? ... Shudder!

On English roots, although not to do with opposites, I was always fascinated by the Saxon v Norman roots post 1066. One small example; 'Pig', the live beast and farm version versus 'Pork' the table version, each word meaning the same thing in the root language yet quite different usage in English simply due to who ruled who. There are hundreds of such examples.

Talking of which, can those of us with Saxon blood apply for a gaming license and reparations yet?
  • Reply 59 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Someone did a quick test on data used for various web pages. I don't recall the exact number, but I think, with data rich sites such as facebook, the average was around 1.3MB. so, Rogers claim of 3100 webpages is skewed...closer to 300 or 10 page loads per day. Even if you half the average size per page, you end up at 20 page loads per day. That would not be difficult to go over at all. Add in email attachments, appstore downloads, and you are easily over you data allotment.

Would you not be using Wi-Fi? Its free and faster!

So you heard that somebody you can't source, numbers you can't recall and something you think that the average is, gives you the right to claim the Rogers is skewing their claims?

On the other hand, here are a couple of references to support that maybe old man Rogers is right.

Data Points:

...according to René Obermann, CEO of Deutsche Telekom AG (NYSE: DT). He says the device is driving up average wireless data usage as much as 30 times higher than on other phones...the average Internet usage for an iPhone customer is more than 100 MBytes. This is 30 times the use for our average contract-based consumer customers... [from Unstrung]

Matthew Key, chief executive of O 2 Europe, is excited about how iPhone customers are turning out to have a big appetite for data services. About 60 per cent are sending or receiving more than 25MB of data a month, which is the equivalent of sending 7,500 e-mails. By comparison, only 1.8 per cent of O 2 's other mobile customers on monthly contracts are consuming more than 25MB a month...[from Financial Times]

http://www.mobilephoneblog.org/2008/...-europe-us.htm

One final question. Does anybody really think that AT&T would just give anybody, let alone everybody, an Unlimited Data Plan, if they knew that somebody will come close to exceeding the cost.
  • Reply 60 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeDyndale View Post

Yes, its dumb. Whats worse is you pay to recieve multimedia messages. I was lucky enough to receive a phone number from a former debtor, who never told anyone of their problems, or change of service. I was getting calls and pictures from a friend of theres for about a year afterwards, each picture would cost me 25 cents to receive.

Mobile plans in the US are really bad, I'm much happier with the service here in the UK.