Apple allegedly sanctioning Rogers for iPhone rates

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 129
    simontsimont Posts: 5member
    Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum. After reading some posts, I realized one point hasn't come up yet: POPULATION!

Oddly, this is maybe the only explanation to why we are paying so much in Canada. The reason is that we have a big big big country, and not much people living in it. The costs associated with telecoms is a base cost which is roughly the same in each country. So, the same coverage costs the same here in Canada as in the US. It means that 270 millions american are paying for their coverage, and 30 million canadians are paying for a BIGGER coverage (Canada is bigger than USA).

It's making sense to me that we pay more, but I could be totally wrong! I think that some adjustments on the rate plans should be made, to offer more minutes and unlimited data. Just keep in mind that Rogers is making huge profits over their business, and that it is tied with RIM and other Canadian companies. Nationalism can be quite strong here in Canada!

However, I hope something will be made...
  • Reply 122 of 129
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simont View Post

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum. After reading some posts, I realized one point hasn't come up yet: POPULATION!

Oddly, this is maybe the only explanation to why we are paying so much in Canada. The reason is that we have a big big big country, and not much people living in it. The costs associated with telecoms is a base cost which is roughly the same in each country. So, the same coverage costs the same here in Canada as in the US. It means that 270 millions american are paying for their coverage, and 30 million canadians are paying for a BIGGER coverage (Canada is bigger than USA).

It's making sense to me that we pay more, but I could be totally wrong! I think that some adjustments on the rate plans should be made, to offer more minutes and unlimited data. Just keep in mind that Rogers is making huge profits over their business, and that it is tied with RIM and other Canadian companies. Nationalism can be quite strong here in Canada!

However, I hope something will be made...

Rogers does not provide coverage for the entire Great White North. GSM coverage is in small pockets along a thin strip along the southern border. The population density in the areas covered by Rogers is probably as high or higher than AT&T coverage across the US. You would be right if Rogers covered more that urban and large suburban centres. But, they don't. It is most comparable to AT&T's coverage of large urban regions, such as Boston-NY-Wash or SoCal.
  • Reply 123 of 129
    prince1prince1 Posts: 18member
    Just want to post some info about usage that was posted in a Vodafone post ont his site at:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...03&postcount=9 for your reference:

Excerpt:

In this test, I'm focusing on the data use from normal web browsing.

I only ran the test on randomly-choosen *subpages* of the websites AKA NOT THE LONG AND GRAPHIC HEAVY FRONT PAGES, and the chosen sub-pages usually consisted of an article page or forum page, and most had zero flash elements. Just look at how large the average page size is for these popular websites I go to:

engadget.com (blog post subpage) 420KB

yahoo.com (news article subpage) 585KB

nytimes.com (news article subpage) 345KB

seedmagazine.com (article subpage) 223KB

discovermagazine.com (article subpage) 731KB

livescience.com (article subpage) 438KB

tgdaily.com (article subpage) 253KB

technologyreview.com (article subpage) 247KB

macrumors.com (forum page) 217KB

tmz.com (blog post subpage) 433KB

Average sub-page data size: 389KB/page.

So, using an iPhone with different 3G browsing limits, you can view:

100MB /30 = 3.3 MB per day = 8 web page views per day

250MB /30 = 8.3 MB per day = 21 web page views per day

300MB /30 = 10 MB per day = 25 web page views per day

600MB /30 = 20 MB per day = 51 web page views per day

1.0 GB /30 = 33.3 MB per day = 85 web page views per day

5.0 GB /30 = 166.7 MB per day = 428 web page views per day

Think of how fast you can zip through different webpages with a 3G phone getting 600-1200 kbps. You could easily view the 21 pages per day of the 250MB/month data plan in 10 minutes!

And remember, this doesn't even include all the other things people will be doing that use data:

* Google Maps (especially now with GPS!) - Very easy to use many MBs in one quick session of scrolling around a map. Have a route-following GPS navigation for 15 minutes could easily use 25MB.

* Sending and Receiving Email and attachments - Remember, No MMS for pictures! Other office-type and PDF documents will be sent around as well.

* Uploading Photos - Flickr, MobileMe etc.

* Online Chat via AIM/MSN/SKYPE

* Viewing Youtube, MMS-type video, and other online video - video can quickly use A LOT of bandwidth. 3-7 seconds per MB.

* Downloading applications and games

* Online multiplayer gaming

* Internet radio streaming

* Downloading music and video

Not to even mention all the native applications that will require internet access and server access to function....

I hope that many of these countries are able to get a better allotment of data usage on their plans in the future. I'm sure all the telecom companies just aren't used to hardly any data being used on their networks so they've kept prices high. Hopefully that will change with the iPhone and they'll realize how popular data usage will be and lower the rates as the volume of users using data increases.
  • Reply 124 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MomentsofSanity View Post

You are again missing the simple point that 3G offers significantly FASTER experience meaning that people are now more able to take advantage of those functions which were more limiting with the old iPhone. If you think that is not a factor in all of this you are missing (or conveniently ignoring) the principle point that people have been trying to make. I have seen numerous posts where low data iPhone users have all said they expect their usage to increase exponentially with the new 3G given it's enhanced capabilities.

I WANT to be able to use YouTube without concern and I WANT to be able to stream online radio at any time I choose but I would be afraid to touch these applications on top of my normal usage for fear of going over my cap. I'm sure you are aware of the bandwidth usage of these types of applications. That is where people seem to be the most annoyed. The fact that they would have to watch every byte they use.

I use a lot of graphically intensive websites. I moderate on some forums where people are more apt to be posting large detailed photos for our shared hobby. One page load can be countless MB in size and I want to be able to do what I want to do without fear of having to take out a second mortgage to do it.

Large detailed photos for your shared hobby, eh? lol

Seriously though, the point about 3G raising data usage can't be ignored. Even still, I have gone over Rogers' highest data plan on my PEARL regularly just from constant web browsing (Google Reader primarily), so I know I would be toast with a 3g iPhone at these rates.

Daniel Smith

Smithereens Blog
  • Reply 125 of 129
    prince1prince1 Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Rogers does not provide coverage for the entire Great White North. GSM coverage is in small pockets along a thin strip along the southern border. The population density in the areas covered by Rogers is probably as high or higher than AT&T coverage across the US. You would be right if Rogers covered more that urban and large suburban centres. But, they don't. It is most comparable to AT&T's coverage of large urban regions, such as Boston-NY-Wash or SoCal.

They do now in Northern Alberta, but that might have something to do with the Billions in dollars of Oil Money running around up there, its not the greatest, but its improving month by month. For now Telus has the best service in the North though, but that might have something to do with CDMA pros vs the cons of GSM. Could change if the rumour is true and they go GSM too. As for the rogers coverage.
  • Reply 126 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prince View Post

They do now in Northern Alberta, but that might have something to do with the Billions in dollars of Oil Money running around up there, its not the greatest, but its improving month by month. For now Telus has the best service in the North though, but that might have something to do with CDMA pros vs the cons of GSM. Could change if the rumour is true and they go GSM too. As for the rogers coverage.

Rogers coverage is better than it was. When they dropped analog I used to lose coverage driving 2 or 3 minutes from my house. I ca. go about 10 or 15 minutes now. Coverage is very spotty, but it exists to a degree. Telus and more so Bell had much better rural coverage. 6 years ago, driving from Winnipeg to Waterloo with a group of friends, everyone with Rogers and Bell phones lost coverage as soon as we left the city. The Bell phones had coverage almost the entire trip.

So, the best comparison of coverage by population with AT&S is with Bell, and even they manage to provide unlimited plans for $30.
  • Reply 127 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

I can only assume that you are intentionally ignoring the intent behind the statement, and are rather dwelling on the easier target of somebody's inappropriate choice of metaphor.

Clearly I understood his intent or I would not have offered up another option for his out of place phrasing, but intent in and of itself doesn't make the metaphor correct. The OP just seems hell bent on using the word rape regardless of how out of place it is.
  • Reply 128 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smithereensblog View Post

Large detailed photos for your shared hobby, eh? lol

Seriously though, the point about 3G raising data usage can't be ignored. Even still, I have gone over Rogers' highest data plan on my PEARL regularly just from constant web browsing (Google Reader primarily), so I know I would be toast with a 3g iPhone at these rates.

Daniel Smith

Smithereens Blog

Leave it to me to find a way to make keeping saltwater reef tanks sound dirty!
  • Reply 129 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Clearly I understood his intent or I would not have offered up another option for his out of place phrasing, but intent in and of itself doesn't make the metaphor correct. The OP just seems hell bent on using the word rape regardless of how out of place it is.

Not true at all. In my first response to your comment about the comparison, I clearly removed the comparison of rape. You just wanted to continue the discussion of the comparison, almost obsessively. But it was and is a pretty pointless discussion with you, so it is at an end.