Apple allegedly sanctioning Rogers for iPhone rates

Comments

• Reply 81 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Naturally, everybody would like to see wireless prices lowered and in particular, get unlimited data plans. However,…

Rogers has said that the Canadian Data Plans are not out of line. Unlimited Data Plans are, and as such, Americans are paying for something they or the majority of customers are not using.

Now before some of you go ballistic, note the difference between the US and Canadian plans.
    • Text messages are only charged to the sender in Canada

• Calls from a Rogers to another Rogers phone are free

• AT&T Data Plans are unlimited

Now, on the last point I have to admit that I lean to Rogers on this one. Unless somebody can prove to me how we can come near the Monthly Data Usages.

For example
    • The $60 400MB Data Plan gets you up to 200,000 text emails, or 3100 web pages or 1360 photo attachments.

• For $15 more, you get basically double the amounts.

For the life of me, I cannot see how I could, or have the time, to utilize even the lowest Monthly Data Usage.

The majority of their customers on data plans have complained on blogs, forums and to the media about being limited on how much they can use their smartphone to it's full potential due to Rogers capping data and high overage rates. This has become increasingly frustrating since Telus and Bell started to offer unlimited data plans for smartphones that are less costly than what Rogers wants consumers to swallow as being good value for their money. The response from Rogers has been that they believe the average user will only use 100 MB on the iPhone. Well sorry to disappoint them but I've used 200 MB on the current model which will increase significantly when I use the iPhone 3G (HSPA), MobileMe and the App Store. The latter of which does not let the user know how much the data size will be when downloading. Also MobileMe is a constant data sync service for push calendar, push email and push contacts which will significantly increase data usage, a service that Rogers hasn't taken into consideration when estimating average data usage for their customers who purchase this service from Apple. I've been limiting my usage due to concern for high overage rates. I have friends and family using the current iPhone (EDGE) that have gone over 400 MB. They've accomplished this all before using HSPA, the App Store or MobileMe.

As for the Rogers to Rogers calling that's not included in any of the iPhone 3G Voice & Data plans. It's only an option if you choose to get a separate voice plan that has Rogers to Rogers calling and add on a smartphone data plan. Though doing this will mean no free WIFI at pay per use Hotspots as well increased cost when you add on the $7.00 early evening calling, $7.00 call display, $10.00 2500 text messaging and $8.00 Visual Voicemail.

Reference unlimited data plans from competitors: http://www.telusmobility.com/bc/plan...mail_all.shtml and http://www.bell.ca/shopping/en_CA_BC/UNPDA_OP.details and http://www.bell.ca/shopping/en_CA_BC/BISEI_OP.details
  • Reply 82 of 129
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Via your source (to a quoted link on their article): http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp...unstrung_gnews

Yeah, you can't IMAGINE how to use 400MB/month. Whatever.

No. But it sure beats paying $34 when you want to download a movie when you're nowhere near a hotspot. Even at 2G/3G speeds.

If it starts being a burden then new iPhone data plans will be more than $30 for unlimted next year.

Get your facts straight.

Jobs said right from the beginning, video can only be gotten via Wi-Fi.

So I gather that takes care of your argument
  • Reply 83 of 129
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Fido's site says about 7 times faster (peak) so ideally about 13 minutes.

I think your math is way off.

Isn't 3.6Mbps the base signaling speed, and not the actual payload transmission speed? To illustrate what I mean, that's why 54Mbps WiFi can't exceed 20Mbps practical capacity.

Even assuming you actually do get 3.6 Mbps, that is 2.4x the minimum bitrate of of an iTunes video. A 1.5 hour movie would be 38 minutes.
  • Reply 84 of 129
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think your math is way off.

Isn't 3.6Mbps the base signaling speed, and not the actual payload transmission speed? To illustrate what I mean, that's why 54Mbps WiFi can't exceed 20Mbps practical capacity.

Even assuming you actually do get 3.6 Mbps, that is 2.4x the minimum bitrate of of an iTunes video. A 1.5 hour movie would be 38 minutes.

3.6mbps is what Fido mentions repeatedly on their site as the max peak speed, so it is obviously what they are promoting as the potential.

You are right about my math. I took the 1.5 hours of the movie instead of the 4.5 hours of download you mentioned, so you are correct, about 38 minutes, best case. Still, using Fido's promoted peak speed, this is much less than 4.5 hours. Being peak, you will never see these speeds, but it should still be fast enough to be usable and potentially within the capacity of a battery charge.
  • Reply 85 of 129
    I doubt there are seriously 42,000 would-be iPhone buyers signatures on that petition.

I suspect some of them are from other countries, some wouldn't have bought it anyway, some are multiple "signatures" from the same people, and some of those who sign it are going to buy it anyway.

I doubt the petition will have much effect. What will have an effect is if not very many people buy the iPhone when it's released, but I'm guessing Rogers will still sell lots in spite of all the noise.
  • Reply 86 of 129
    Quote:

It is not real world. It is full of assumptions.

It was full of assumptions of low data usage. I did a quick check on my work email. Since June 16 (3 weeks), I have 403 emails in my inbox with an average size of 115 KB. I don't get a ton of attachments and those I do get are not exceptionally large. I also checked my archived work emails from the last 3 years or so. The average email size was also about 100KB. Let's say I get about 500/month (very low assumption), then we are at 50000KB. Divide by 1024 and I am at 49 MB/month, just for work email. Add in personal email addresses and it climbs even higher. While my numbers are a little lower than those mentioned in the linked analysis, they show that his numbers are close to the mark.

Quote:

Again, if AT&T is offering unlimited data plan, it is because nobody could comes near to exceeding the cost. Or otherwise, why do they charge for receiving text messages.

What does them charging for messages have to do with data usage? Text messaging is very low in terms of data. They charge for them because it is an easy cash grab.

Quote:

Why would any carrier lie about how much data is being used. Read the fine print. AT&T can at anytime change the prices. AT&T has already stated that data usage is twice what they originally projected. Unfortunately we don't know what the figures are, but according to reliable sources, the way that data comes and goes on the iPhone is not the same as projected by a bunch of wannabe analyists.

Why would a carrier lie about how much data is used? Um, I don't know, maybe to make it look like they are providing fair value? Because it make it look like customers are getting more than they are? Just the fact that Rogers numbers are so obviously skewed shows they have an interest in presenting the numbers in their best interest. I notice that Rogers main iPhone packages page no longer includes their interpretation of the number of webpages or emails, which it used to. I wonder why that is.
  • Reply 87 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigKingFun View Post

I doubt there are seriously 42,000 would-be iPhone buyers signatures on that petition.

I suspect some of them are from other countries, some wouldn't have bought it anyway, some are multiple "signatures" from the same people, and some of those who sign it are going to buy it anyway.

I doubt the petition will have much effect. What will have an effect is if not very many people buy the iPhone when it's released, but I'm guessing Rogers will still sell lots in spite of all the noise.

You are probably, unfortunately, completely correct. As far as impact on sales by people who disagree with the plans, I am hoping there will be a sizable impact. I know 5 or 6 other people that were planning to buy an iPhone. Three of them are waiting for at least a few weeks, to see if prices will come down. A couple other were not planning to rush out anyway. The only person I know who is still planning to get one immediately is my brother, but that is because his work is paying for it and any plan he gets. If it was his money, he agrees it would be foolish to get one right away.
  • Reply 88 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Talking of which, can those of us with Saxon blood apply for a gaming license and reparations yet?

We should. I come from a long line of people who have been persecuted by wealthy land owners. I'm going to get my DNA mapped this year to determine my Haplogroup. 23 and Me seems like the most throughout choice, but the $1000 price tag is still too high for my liking. Although the mDNA will also give a tree for my mother and siblings, so that is something to consider.

Quote:

3.6mbps is what Fido mentions repeatedly on their site as the max peak speed, so it is obviously what they are promoting as the potential.

I couldn't get the iPhone using 802.11g to DL at a rate faster than about 2.4Mbps connected to a 15Mbps/1.5Mbps internet connection, so I don't see the speed getting better until the processor speed is increased and perhaps more RAM is added. For comparison I have gotten slightly better than 15Mbps using that same WiFi connection and internet connection.
  • Reply 89 of 129
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clyde_turkey View Post

The thing is you can't download movies/songs from the iTunes WiFi Music store while on the cell network, so there's never going to be a charge for that. Directly from the Apple site.

Buy music over the air from the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store on iPhone. Find a Wi-Fi hot spot and tap the iTunes button. Then take your pick from more than 6 million songs.

My bad, but as Tulkas pointed out, YouTube is available.

Quote:

Get your facts straight.

Jobs said right from the beginning, video can only be gotten via Wi-Fi.

So I gather that takes care of your argument

No it doesn't. He was listening to streamed audio via one of many radio stations that provides a feed on HIS CELL PHONE. As you've convienently clipped out.

"I used 100 MBytes in an hour and a half listening to Internet radio on my phone the other day."

Of course, that's likely a windows phone with WMP aboard. However, iRadio is available for jailbroken phones.

Video over 3G is possible via YouTube and there's video downloads and quicktime streams elsewhere. Movies via iTunes not at the moment but seems like a no brainer to add in the near future. NBC streamed 30 Rock and The Office which were low quality but worked on the iPhone.

In any case, its silly to say that 400MB is more than enough given that some cities have really bad wifi coverage.
  • Reply 90 of 129
    Quote:

It was full of assumptions of low data usage. I did a quick check on my work email. Since June 16 (3 weeks), I have 403 emails in my inbox with an average size of 115 KB. I don't get a ton of attachments and those I do get are not exceptionally large. I also checked my archived work emails from the last 3 years or so. The average email size was also about 100KB. Let's say I get about 500/month (very low assumption), then we are at 50000KB. Divide by 1024 and I am at 49 MB/month, just for work email. Add in personal email addresses and it climbs even higher. While my numbers are a little lower than those mentioned in the linked analysis, they show that his numbers are close to the mark.

This was posted at http://www.bravehound.com/rogers-fid...hone-criminal/

***Question to Current iPhone users in the US***? how much data are YOU using per month? There?s a setting on your phone that shows the usage?toss it in the comments, let us in the Great White North know what we?re in for.

So far the numbers are low. Perhaps we can get a better response from here.
  • Reply 91 of 129
    prince1prince1 Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigKingFun View Post

Read the facts before you run your mouth off spouting off assumptions and opinons, here's a excerpt from http://www.ruinediphone.com/blog/ since you were to lazy to reasearch the facts before you spouted off your opinion.

RuinediPhone.com Acquisition FAQs Answered

July 6th, 2008

QUESTIONS FROM OILCHANGE.COM TO YOU

We have received many comments from supporters saying we have to do more than just send the petition to make a difference.

#1 Some have suggested there be a peaceful and organized rally / protest when we deliver the petition to Rogers.

#2 There have since been other offers from Rogers competition that are more competitive and some have suggested people cancel their Rogers contracts and that we start a separate petition that keeps count of how many people have canceled their Rogers contracts.

What are your thoughts?

There are a number of questions and concerns from supporters that Oilchange.com would like to address. Below you will find frequently asked questions and answers.

Q: Are you affiliated with any telecommunications company?

A: No, we are full service web design and Internet marketing company that has no affiliation with any telecom company. We do however advertise Oilchange.com on 680 News, a Rogers owned radio station and we do pay for some other Rogers services and none of those services involve cell phone plans.

Q: Why are you taking over a grassroots movement?

A: When we found out about this petition and heard about the data plans Rogers was offering for the upcoming launch we were as disappointed as everyone else. Our executives used to be on Rogers wireless plans and they were too expensive so we then switched to Telus and they too ended up being too expensive. We now use Verizon cell phones and save a significant amount of money and can travel all over Canada and the US and not pay extra for roaming fees or long distance charges.

When we saw the site go down under control of the original site owner we felt strongly enough about this issue to acquire it and make sure the petition continues to grow without interruptions especially when momentum was building. As a corporate entity we have more resources to manage this website and take it to higher levels. The Paypal donation button has been removed because Oilchange.com is taking on the cost of this website. We have added video content to Youtube, accelerated the petition sign ups and are making adjustments to the website on a daily basis.

We are behind this petition 100%.

Q: What did you do with all the Paypal donations?

A: Oilchange.com has not received any payment from Paypal Donations. We are taking on all the costs associated with this website. The previous owner has told us to notify everybody that he used the funds to market the site and did not use any funds for himself.

Q: What?s your motivation?

A: The Rogers pricing of their iPhone 3G data plans is just one example of many in this country where Canadians are being overcharged. There are countless examples in every sector. We have created a platformCanadians.com to expose all of these price differences to make a difference here and obtain more competitive pricing on goods and services, more choice and ultimately put more money back in Canadian pockets.

Q: There have been some duplicate entries in the petition, what are you going to do about this?

A: We scrub the site once a day for duplicates and other spam posts.
  • Reply 92 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prince View Post

Read the facts before you run your mouth off spouting off assumptions and opinons, here's a excerpt from http://www.ruinediphone.com/blog/ since you were to lazy to reasearch the facts before you spouted off your opinion.

RuinediPhone.com Acquisition FAQs Answered

July 6th, 2008

QUESTIONS FROM OILCHANGE.COM TO YOU

We have received many comments from supporters saying we have to do more than just send the petition to make a difference.

#1 Some have suggested there be a peaceful and organized rally / protest when we deliver the petition to Rogers.

#2 There have since been other offers from Rogers competition that are more competitive and some have suggested people cancel their Rogers contracts and that we start a separate petition that keeps count of how many people have canceled their Rogers contracts.

What are your thoughts?

There are a number of questions and concerns from supporters that Oilchange.com would like to address. Below you will find frequently asked questions and answers.

Q: Are you affiliated with any telecommunications company?

A: No, we are full service web design and Internet marketing company that has no affiliation with any telecom company. We do however advertise Oilchange.com on 680 News, a Rogers owned radio station and we do pay for some other Rogers services and none of those services involve cell phone plans.

Q: Why are you taking over a grassroots movement?

A: When we found out about this petition and heard about the data plans Rogers was offering for the upcoming launch we were as disappointed as everyone else. Our executives used to be on Rogers wireless plans and they were too expensive so we then switched to Telus and they too ended up being too expensive. We now use Verizon cell phones and save a significant amount of money and can travel all over Canada and the US and not pay extra for roaming fees or long distance charges.

When we saw the site go down under control of the original site owner we felt strongly enough about this issue to acquire it and make sure the petition continues to grow without interruptions especially when momentum was building. As a corporate entity we have more resources to manage this website and take it to higher levels. The Paypal donation button has been removed because Oilchange.com is taking on the cost of this website. We have added video content to Youtube, accelerated the petition sign ups and are making adjustments to the website on a daily basis.

We are behind this petition 100%.

Q: What did you do with all the Paypal donations?

A: Oilchange.com has not received any payment from Paypal Donations. We are taking on all the costs associated with this website. The previous owner has told us to notify everybody that he used the funds to market the site and did not use any funds for himself.

Q: What’s your motivation?

A: The Rogers pricing of their iPhone 3G data plans is just one example of many in this country where Canadians are being overcharged. There are countless examples in every sector. We have created a platformCanadians.com to expose all of these price differences to make a difference here and obtain more competitive pricing on goods and services, more choice and ultimately put more money back in Canadian pockets.

Q: There have been some duplicate entries in the petition, what are you going to do about this?

A: We scrub the site once a day for duplicates and other spam posts.

Woah, let's not get so hostile so quickly. The poster was simply speculating that signers might be international and that some people were posting twice. There isn't anything in that FAQ you posted that says this is not the case, other than duplicates. And if all they are scrubbing for is duplicate email addresses, they will not be getting all of the potential duplicates cleared.

Edit: in fact there is no doubt that some of the people signing are not Canadian. I have read comments there from people that clearly said they were not canadian and were in fact signing to support Canadians. I also saw SuperMan and Snoopy as signers.
  • Reply 93 of 129
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    For some perspective:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...r-21-countries

Note that Rogers actually has the longest contract length.
  • Reply 94 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

For some perspective:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...r-21-countries

Note that Rogers actually has the longest contract length.

And by far, not the most expensive by a long shot, particularly when you factor in the price of the iPhone itself.

And again, to all current iPhone users, how much data are you really using. It is not hard to find out. Here are the step-by-step instructions to Monitoring Usage, which is built right in the iPhone.

http://safari.ibmpressbooks.com/9780...7/ch11lev1sec3
  • Reply 95 of 129
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    As a fido customer for the past 3 years I just want to be able to buy an iphone and keep my current contract, simple. Even if the phone costs more that way.
  • Reply 96 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

As a fido customer for the past 3 years I just want to be able to buy an iphone and keep my current contract, simple. Even if the phone costs more that way.

That would be the cheapest solution, but watch out, Rogers, like AT&T may require this new contract type for iPhone users. The way around it is to wait for SW unlock so you can use your current grandfathered Fido plan with the iPhone. I'm still debating waiting to see if that will allow me 3G access or if AT&T can disallow that knowing you should have an EDGE iPhone.
  • Reply 97 of 129
    Quote:

And by far, not the most expensive by a long shot, particularly when you factor in the price of the iPhone itself.

And again, to all current iPhone users, how much data are you really using. It is not hard to find out. Here are the step-by-step instructions to Monitoring Usage, which is built right in the iPhone.

http://safari.ibmpressbooks.com/9780...7/ch11lev1sec3

This point will be valid as soon as anyone using a 3G iPhone posts their usage. Until then it is meaningless. I keep seeing this argument everywhere but until the new phone with the new features and capabilities is in the marketplace it's pointless.

But let me ask you this. If Bell and Telus are now both able to provide unlimited data for their upcoming releases why should it be so difficult for people to ask for the same from Rogers? I know what I would have used the iPhone for and 400MB doesn't even come close to meeting my needs. And I certainly don't want to have to sit there and monitor my usage minute by minute to make sure I don't have to shell out for incredibly high overage fees.
  • Reply 98 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MomentsofSanity View Post

This point will be valid as soon as anyone using a 3G iPhone posts their usage. Until then it is meaningless. I keep seeing this argument everywhere but until the new phone with the new features and capabilities is in the marketplace it's pointless.

But let me ask you this. If Bell and Telus are now both able to provide unlimited data for their upcoming releases why should it be so difficult for people to ask for the same from Rogers? I know what I would have used the iPhone for and 400MB doesn't even come close to meeting my needs. And I certainly don't want to have to sit there and monitor my usage minute by minute to make sure I don't have to shell out for incredibly high overage fees.

I have consistently used a couple GBs per month with my EDGE iPhone. I rarely watched any YouTube videos and didn't have access to WiFi after the first couple months of its use. I assume that my usage will increase by at least 50%, by assuming that I will be able to load pages faster than before. But as you stated, we will need to wait for the new iPhone to really see. Of course, the first month should be discarded as there will likely be many App Store apps downloaded and the many users who waited until the 3G version will still probably be using it more than normal as it's still a novelty.

As for Rogers, they have no financial reason to compete with the other carriers as the iPhone can only work on their network. All the other non-MVNO carriers in Canada are CDMA/CDMA200.
  • Reply 99 of 129
    Petitioning does work. Norwegia now has an unlimited data plan, albeit an expensive one, after receiving 3,500 complaints from customers. This unlimited/unlimited plan does not include any phone minutes or SMS but if you are like me this would be option.
  • Reply 100 of 129
    Quote:

Kinda of like saying the guy that raped you in prison wasn't the biggest, so it is OK.

While not the most expensive, it isn't near the cheapest either. And I would like to know how many of those carriers clawed back basic functionality like call display, or made evenings and weekends start at 9PM. Certainly none of the listed plans require a 3 year contract.