iPhone 3G clarifications: battery life, GPS, office apps

Comments

• Reply 81 of 145
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It doesn't matter if the battery is best in its class as long as you can't swap it/replace it.

As the NY TImes reported on Saturday - " Until Apple put's in a replaceable battery, the iPhone will remain a toy rather than a tool."

A toy that made Apple nearly half a billion dollars in 3 days.

A toy that over a thousand people in Japan waited in a half mile long line to purchase.

A toy that people still wait in multiple hour long lines every day since launch to purchase.

No other phone has had this type of demand.
  • Reply 82 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

No other phone has had this type of demand.

Even the original iPhone, with its record braking sales did have half the interest of the 3G version.
  • Reply 83 of 145
    mbairmbair Posts: 4member
    There is some good info on important things here as well:

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phones/iPhone-3G.htm

When I was waiting in line, the Apple store employees were telling people in line some wrong information. Like, "your SIM card can only work in the new iPhone, not on other phones" Wrong! I wish they had better training than that though. But it looked to me they pull everyone to work at the store that day since there were so many people waiting in line. I really doubt that Apple trained EVERYONE working in the store with all the info.

Or should they have?
  • Reply 84 of 145
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

He said it was lower on the priority list than other features that Apple wants to put in. Also they are likely experimenting with copy and paste touch UI vs the touch UI of other functions. Once Apple picks the UI they are stuck with it.

I see you've read the article at Daring Fireball. I might as well post it.

http://daringfireball.net/2008/07/copy_and_paste
  • Reply 85 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I see you've read the article at Daring Fireball. I might as well post it.

Thanks, I couldn't do it from my phone. No copy and paste
  • Reply 86 of 145
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

He said it was lower on the priority list than other features that Apple wants to put in. Also they are likely experimenting with copy and paste touch UI vs the touch UI of other functions. Once Apple picks the UI they are stuck with it.

My point is that should have been figured out in release 1.0 of the original iPhone.
  • Reply 87 of 145
    sam damonsam damon Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

My point is that should have been figured out in release 1.0 of the original iPhone.

Exactly.

One would think the code behind the "Services" menu wouldn't have been left out of Mac OS X Mobile.

Camino can open a new window in Text Edit with highlighted text -- their team somehow managed to figure it out. I can understand Apple's dev team not making this feature in iPhone 1.0. I'm just amazed Apple's bunch didn't figure this out by iPhone 2.0. One would have thought Apple could have thrown a bunch of engineers at the problem.

IMO, this just shows how talented the Camino dev team really is.
  • Reply 88 of 145
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    ZeptoPad has Cut and Paste, to a degree.
  • Reply 89 of 145
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:

It's nice that you're trying to cover for him, but it's clear that's not what he meant, though, now he may say it was.

Not trying to cover for him. He has a very in depth grasp of the technology. More so than many to most here, however I attempted to simply tweak his answer as to make it easier to understand. I knew/know what he was trying to say. It wasn't lost on me.
  • Reply 90 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Even the original iPhone, with its record braking sales did have half the interest of the 3G version.

Right now here in Finland they are pretty much sitting on the shelves. Sonera has inventory. Apparently the "BIG" sell did not come off as planned.
  • Reply 91 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sam Damon View Post

Exactly.

One would think the code behind the "Services" menu wouldn't have been left out of Mac OS X Mobile.

Camino can open a new window in Text Edit with highlighted text -- their team somehow managed to figure it out. I can understand Apple's dev team not making this feature in iPhone 1.0. I'm just amazed Apple's bunch didn't figure this out by iPhone 2.0. One would have thought Apple could have thrown a bunch of engineers at the problem.

IMO, this just shows how talented the Camino dev team really is.

None of us can say what Apple engineers could or could not do. We are not in the lab with them with the everyday work of building the OS it's easy to sit on the outside and imagine what could or could not be done, that is entirely different from doing it.

You are comparing a desktop web browser to mobile operating system. The development of each has nothing in common.
  • Reply 92 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Right now here in Finland they are pretty much sitting on the shelves. Sonera has inventory. Apparently the "BUG" sell did not come off as planned.

What is a "BUG" sell?
  • Reply 93 of 145
    Quote:

Right now here in Finland they are pretty much sitting on the shelves. Sonera has inventory. Apparently the "BUG" sell did not come off as planned.

Finland is enlighted enough to see past flash and trickery.
  • Reply 94 of 145
    Quote:

If they can see past "Flash" then shouln't the iPhone have sold better?
  • Reply 95 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What is a "BUG" sell?

A bug sell is what you get when you hit the "U" key rather than the "I" key.
  • Reply 96 of 145
    Quote:

This is the funny thing. Sonera has these completely screwed up service plans as well. Go to:

http://www.sonera.fi/Puhelin%20ja%20liittym%E4/Hinnat (sorry it is in Finnish but you guys can get the gist)

Now my plan is: 500 mins, 500 sms, unlimited data, and wifi all for about 47? a month. Everyone in Finland that bought an iPhone, paid the 519? (they are used to paying this anyway. the price for the Nokia E90 runs about 850?) then proceeded to create their own plans rather than taking what Sonera put forth. My friends over there at Sonera say it is pretty quiet in Sales and Marketing. Someone screwed the pooch.

As for the big launch, they had this massive campaign. 1000 people would have the chance to enter a raffle with 200 being selected to pre-purchase the iPhone on the night of the 10th/11th at 00:01. Sonera is the service partner of the American Embassy here and I negotiated the contract so I was going to get an iPhone for sure. Not as a gift as this is illegal but my name goes to the top of the list. For shits and grins I decided to enter the contest with all 4 of my numbers plus 2 more. 6 in total. At 23:30, I got six sms saying that I had won the chance to get a phone. My friends at Sonera said less than 200 people bothered to enter.
  • Reply 97 of 145
    Quote:

Not trying to cover for him. He has a very in depth grasp of the technology. More so than many to most here, however I attempted to simply tweak his answer as to make it easier to understand. I knew/know what he was trying to say. It wasn't lost on me.

It didn't read like that at all. And his depth isn't that deep.
  • Reply 98 of 145
    Quote:

It's also the home of Nokia, which is their national pride. What else could one expect?
  • Reply 99 of 145
    Quote:

It's also the home of Nokia, which is their national pride. What else could one expect?

Considering you have probably (my guess) that you have never been here, your knowledge of what Finns do and do not know is severely limited. However, if you have lived here or even stepped foot in country, by all means explain how the fact that Finns did not fall over themselves standing in lines for days like idiots makes them any less sophisticated in realizing that for the most part the iPhone remains unchanged over its technologically challenged predecessor. It has nothing to do with Nokia because most FInns have several phones regardless. Sooooooooo...... It would appear on the surface that you do not know what you are talking about in regards to Finland, Finns, their national pride interest, but hey.... I am sure being wrong has never stopped anyone before, soooo.... please shed light on your knowledge of Finland and Finns.
  • Reply 100 of 145
    Quote:

It didn't read like that at all. And his depth isn't that deep.

Maybe he went to fast for you. Who know?