Intel says first quad-core mobile chips on the horizon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Montevina won't be out for another month, if not longer. What the iMac is still Santa Rosa, but with Montevina qualities. I had thought the same thing too when I saw the specs.

Current iMac CPU numbers:
    ? E8135 = 2.40GHz

? E8335 = 2.66GHz

? E8235 = 2.80GHz

? E8435 = 3.06GHz

Thanks for the info! I saw the same thing on EveryMac.com (one of my favorite resources). (Do you have a link where the iMac was opened up and the model number read off the cpu?)

As far as the original post I responded to, there would probably be no difference in performance between the two for the iMac, except for power consumption. We'll have to wait for the quad chips!
  • Reply 22 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwdawso View Post

As far as the original post I responded to, there would probably be no difference in performance between the two for the iMac, except for power consumption. We'll have to wait for the quad chips!

? Speed will again be slight for the same price chip-over-chip upgrade.The current and future MB/MBPs will be still be Penryn. The big benefit seems to come from the other features, like the H.264 decoder. This may come in handy with iTunes Store video purchases, but the CPU is till only one aspect to the power consumption so that may be a minimal gain. I also have my doubts about the GPU switching, this may be as pointless as Intel's Turbo Memory.

?*The people being loudest about how Apple is taking to long to release nee MB/MBPs, despite the chips not being ready, will be the first ones to complain when the performance hasn't improved enough.

? The MBA will get a nice efficiency bump with the 22mm^2 Montevina packages. The speeds will be about the same, the price may be lower (I don't think we have any facts on the current chip price), but the power usage will be going from 20W in the current MBA CPU to 17W.
  • Reply 23 of 74
    I'd rather have a 25w chip than a 45w one, since they're still pretty fast at the lower power consumption, plenty for most people(!), and instead have much longer battery life... that should be where the research goes but I guess its too focused on 'getting the numbers' still. its not bad - isn't the mbp meant to have one of the best battery times for notebooks? it will hopefully be better with the next chip

and another vote for a non (-oh-my-god-i-couldn't-care-less-about-the-) iphone bit of news
  • Reply 24 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shiato storm View Post

I'd rather have a 25w chip than a 45w one, since they're still pretty fast at the lower power consumption, plenty for most people(!), and instead have much longer battery life... that should be where the research goes but I guess its too focused on 'getting the numbers' still. its not bad - isn't the mbp meant to have one of the best battery times for notebooks? it will hopefully be better with the next chip

and another vote for a non (-oh-my-god-i-couldn't-care-less-about-the-) iphone bit of news

The rumour is that the next MBP revision will be a whole case too. This may have them reduce the weight by making the battery smaller now these chips use less power.

PS: I like the iPhone stories, but I'm glad to have other news too.
  • Reply 25 of 74
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

The rumour is that the next MBP revision will be a whole case too. This may have them reduce the weight by making the battery smaller now these chips use less power.

It would be nice to lengthen battery life some rather than just reduce weight.

Quote:

PS: I like the iPhone stories, but I'm glad to have other news too.

I don't think they mean no iPhone stories, just pent-up frustration because it is all that seems to be covered recently.
  • Reply 26 of 74
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It would be nice to lengthen battery life some rather than just reduce weight.

I don't think they mean no iPhone stories, just pent-up frustration because it is all that seems to be covered recently.

Kinda, sorta. There are some here that are expecting a new iMac model any day, because of the new Intel chips, in spite of the fact that iMacs were recently reconfigured. These folks are insatiable, they insist on a new model of every Mac, every time they think about it, which is apparently often. Throw in the laptop renewal demands, and it becomes pandaemonium, just to have the latest and greatest vaporware.

No count yet on how many really need an upgraded machine, or if they are really pushing what they have now.
  • Reply 27 of 74
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    I wonder why this is a story today? Intel's CPU roadmaps are very well known, well in advance.
  • Reply 28 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I wonder why this is a story today? Intel's CPU roadmaps are very well known, well in advance.

I'm not too sure. This was only an extra announcement. Maybe some of the chip features have been detailed more or specs have been refined.

There were people on MacRumors last night saying that this means the new MBPs must be coming out today. I really don't like that forum, but this one I can't enough of.
  • Reply 29 of 74
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

It's now a story with some who gave been impatiently waiting for anything not currently available just for the sake of having something new, and without regard to whether or not it's a worthy improvement. JMO
  • Reply 30 of 74
    +mimic+mimic Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

on a entirely different note,

it is kinda of sad, not much performance improvement, AMD you got 6 more months to hurry up ...

Very sad indeed as AMD put multi-core on the map and Intel was able to run with it way ahead of AMD!!

AMD brings much to the table, but can't finish the meal! Their next front is the mobile market. We'll see what they do there.
  • Reply 31 of 74
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

There were people on MacRumors last night saying that this means the new MBPs must be coming out today. I really don't like that forum, but this one I can't enough of.

Every forum has people that don't pay attention to the article when saying things.
  • Reply 32 of 74
    Ok, so from what i understand the new nehalem processors that intel is coming out with will be the processors used in the upcoming revamp of the macbook and macbook pro's. My question is multi parted.

First, within the initial release of the nehalem processors will there be enough available for the new macbooks to be released?

Second, i am simply waiting for these new macbooks because i want to get a laptop for college. I am bringing my desktop "gaming" pc and i am simply wondering, will the new macbooks give any more availability in terms of dedicated graphics for a lesser price. OR; will it simply give the old macbook (meaning the 2008 models) a new outer shell with the same delicious-non-vista filling. Is it worth it to wait for the new macbook (will it come out before september). Or should i just buy the current model.

I would really appreciate some answers because i am really hungering for some macbook/non i-phone related news.
  • Reply 33 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I Mac Alot View Post

Ok, so from what i understand the new nehalem processors that intel is coming out with will be the processors used in the upcoming revamp of the macbook and macbook pro's. My question is multi parted.

First, within the initial release of the nehalem processors will there be enough available for the new macbooks to be released?

Second, i am simply waiting for these new macbooks because i want to get a laptop for college. I am bringing my desktop "gaming" pc and i am simply wondering, will the new macbooks give any more availability in terms of dedicated graphics for a lesser price. OR; will it simply give the old macbook (meaning the 2008 models) a new outer shell with the same delicious-non-vista filling. Is it worth it to wait for the new macbook (will it come out before september). Or should i just buy the current model.

I would really appreciate some answers because i am really hungering for some macbook/non i-phone related news.

1) The release will be Monetvina/Penryn. Monetiva/Nehalem chips for the MB/MBP won't be out until 2009. The owrd is we can expect a case change with the next update, but I think it may only be for the <BP this time around, not the MB.

2) Apple may not sell as many notebooks as the other OEMs, but they are probably selling the most modern, higher-end chips for notebooks than any other OEM since the MB, MBP, and even iMac use these mobile chips. In part because of this high volume that needs to be addressed immediately upon Apple's release of new notebooks they are not first out of the gate. Note: Intel has given Apple first dibs at new chips in teh past, but these were for very high-end machines that were done more for a marketing and were not mass produced the way MB and MBPs would need to be.

3) The speed will be about the same. You'll get a little faster speeds over teh current MB when they do launch, especially with decoding H.264 and such, but the real benefit here is the lower power consumption.

4) To me, longevity on a single charge is the most important thing as even the MBA is plenty fast for may needs so I would wait, but the answer is up to you. They either release the MBPs first or both together. If there is a case change Apple may delay the release of the new notebooks even further as they have done in the past; there is no way to tell. With Montevenia still with issues and the official release isn't until August I don't think Apple will have new machines until late September at the earliest. As for worth, that is for you to determine. Do you need to make a decision now or can you wait several months?
  • Reply 34 of 74
    Quote:

1) The release will be Monetvina/Penryn. Monetiva/Nehalem chips for the MB/MBP won't be out until 2009. The owrd is we can expect a case change with the next update, but I think it may only be for the <BP this time around, not the MB.

2) Apple may not sell as many notebooks as the other OEMs, but they are probably selling the most modern, higher-end chips for notebooks than any other OEM since the MB, MBP, and even iMac use these mobile chips. In part because of this high volume that needs to be addressed immediately upon Apple's release of new notebooks they are not first out of the gate. Note: Intel has given Apple first dibs at new chips in teh past, but these were for very high-end machines that were done more for a marketing and were not mass produced the way MB and MBPs would need to be.

3) The speed will be about the same. You'll get a little faster speeds over teh current MB when they do launch, especially with decoding H.264 and such, but the real benefit here is the lower power consumption.

4) To me, longevity on a single charge is the most important thing as even the MBA is plenty fast for may needs so I would wait, but the answer is up to you. They either release the MBPs first or both together. If there is a case change Apple may delay the release of the new notebooks even further as they have done in the past; there is no way to tell. With Montevenia still with issues and the official release isn't until August I don't think Apple will have new machines until late September at the earliest. As for worth, that is for you to determine. Do you need to make a decision now or can you wait several months?

First off all, thank you for the response.

Second, I want to make these decisions soon. Im going to school in a few months and i'd like to start of college prepare, and i feel like not having a laptop will leave me unprepared and less able to cope. I suppose i could work out some sort of bowwowed laptop until apple see's fit to release the new line.

Preferably the new line would come out at the end of august (with announcements by apple, within a few weeks of today). Thats realy just one thing that i want the most. Actual news from apple. Not " we are unable to release information at this time due to the fact that production possibilities are still being theorized" or that sort of garbage, but i want a simple, "yes hopefully it should be out by september", or "no it wont be out until january". I realize this may seem a bit childish and imatient, but i'd really just like to iron everything out so i dont have to worry about it. And iron it out soon.
  • Reply 35 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I Mac Alot View Post

First off all, thank you for the response.

Second, I want to make these decisions soon. Im going to school in a few months and i'd like to start of college prepare, and i feel like not having a laptop will leave me unprepared and less able to cope. I suppose i could work out some sort of bowwowed laptop until apple see's fit to release the new line.

Preferably the new line would come out at the end of august (with announcements by apple, within a few weeks of today). Thats realy just one thing that i want the most. Actual news from apple. Not " we are unable to release information at this time due to the fact that production possibilities are still being theorized" or that sort of garbage, but i want a simple, "yes hopefully it should be out by september", or "no it wont be out until january". I realize this may seem a bit childish and imatient, but i'd really just like to iron everything out so i dont have to worry about it. And iron it out soon.

If you want some stats MacRumors' Buyers Guide is the plce to look. The average time for refresh cycle is still two months away. If it were to come out exactly on the 192nd day then we are looking at Sunday,September 14th. Round that to Tuesday the 17th if you want. Those stats also include the iBook release, but if we look at the release cycle for just the MacBook we see that it's been updated in November of every year since it's inception in 2006. However, it was updated in February instead of the usual March this year, so things are not steady across the board.

There really is no way for us to know exactly when it will be released. We are releasing just profiling Apple's release dates and looking for the best option, but it's still just guessing. Welcome to AI.
  • Reply 36 of 74
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Today + 90 days = end of October for the Intel announcement = new Macbook Pro at Macworld in January?!

Could this coincide with Snow Leopard?

Oh yes, let it snow, let it snow

No!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maleficent View Post

That would be totally fab. I'm going to NY in January and would love to bag a brand new Mac, hopefully the £->$ rate stays as good as it is!

No!

Sorry to rain on your parade, but unless Apple is uncharacteristically early?by 6 months!, SL will be available about the time of the ADC in June, or July. Unless they are characteristically late, whereupon it may not be out until September.
  • Reply 37 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

again, the much awaited these CPUs do not give lots of performance improvement over the last one, apple may decided SKIP this update completely go with newer ones MWSF 2009 ...

on a entirely different note,

it is kinda of sad, not much performance improvement, AMD you got 6 more months to hurry up ...

Nehalen for portable applications won't be out until sometime next year. How long to you think Apple should wait?

If everyone else is going this way, and Apple doesn't, they will be behind for too long.

What kind of improvements do you see in Intel's line-up between these chips and January? I can't see much of anything.

Then there will be that wait for Nehalen. Another few months.

No, do it for the back to school second-term people, when it's needed.
  • Reply 38 of 74
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I was expecting Snow Leopard to go with Neleham
  • Reply 39 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

I was expecting Snow Leopard to go with Neleham

It will, but not the first version of Nehalen.
  • Reply 40 of 74
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It will, but not the first version of Nehalen.

hey Melgross, you're right, Snowleopard will be out in Summer > http://www.apple.com/macosx/snowleopard/

To summarise:

Montevina Apple release in January 2009 (introduced by Intel in October 2008).

Grumbles on the Apple forum as the Montevina people will need to upgrade to the more system efficient Snowleopard in June. June, when Nehalem is just around the corner