Intel says first quad-core mobile chips on the horizon

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple chip supplier Intel said this week it's nearing the release of the industry's first mobile chips with four processing cores and is separately putting the finishing touches on a new generation of processors for ultra-thin notebooks like Apple's new MacBook Air.

The Santa Clara-based chip maker said the two processor families will combine to offer notebook manufacturers a total of eight new chips when they're announced in the next 90 days, wrapping up a mobile-focused summer for the company aimed at pushing innovation in surging notebook market.

Intel also announced this week the formal availability of its next-generation Intel Centrino 2 Core Duo processors -- formerly codenamed Montevina -- which improve upon every facet of mainstream notebooks, from performance and battery life to faster draft 802.11n wireless and high-definition video support.

"Today, notebooks outsell desktops in the U.S, and we're paving the way to HD entertainment, rich online gaming, faster broadband wireless speeds and an easier and more secure way for businesses to manage, update and repair their notebook fleets," said Mooly Eden, vice president of Intel's Mobile Platforms Group.

The five new Core 2 Duo chips, which are the successors to those used in Apple's existing MacBook and MacBook Pro lines, range in speed from 2.26GHz to 2.80GHz, and feature a 1066MHz front-side bus with up to 6MB of Level 2 cache. All are based on Intel's high-k metal gate formula and advanced 45-nanometer manufacturing process.

Three of the new chips -- 2.26GHz, 2.4GHz, and 2.53GHz -- have seen an approximately 30 percent reduction in wattage to just 25 watts. Meanwhile, all five of the new chips take advantage of the chip maker's Deep Power Down Technology that turns off processing components such as core clocks and cache memory when a notebook is idle for greater energy savings.

Simultaneously, Intel also introduced what it's calling the "world's highest-performing dual-core mobile processor," a Core2 Extreme chip running at a brisk 3.06 GHz with a thermal design power of 44 watts.

Another feature of the Centrino 2 mobile platform is something Intel is calling

"switchable graphics," or an optional power-saving feature that provides both integrated and discrete graphics on a single notebook, enabling users to easily switch between the two options.

"Switchable graphics delivers greater 3-D performance when needed while providing the option for greater power savings for the best of both worlds," the company said.

Intel added that Centrino 2 processor will also deliver for the first time the horsepower and battery life to watch a typical full-length Blu-ray high-definition video on a single battery charge.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    bandittbanditt Posts: 23member
    When will we see those Chips in top of the line iMacs?
  • Reply 2 of 74
    Thank goodness for a non-iPhone story. Now bring on those MacBooks
  • Reply 3 of 74
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple chip supplier Intel said this week it's nearing the release of the industry's first mobile chips with four processing cores.

The Santa Clara-based chip maker said the two processor families will combine to offer notebook manufacturers a total of eight new chips when they're announced in the next 90 days, wrapping up a mobile-focused summer for the company aimed at pushing innovation in surging notebook market.

Today + 90 days = end of October for the Intel announcement = new Macbook Pro at Macworld in January?!

Could this coincide with Snow Leopard?

Oh yes, let it snow, let it snow
  • Reply 4 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Today + 90 days = end of October for the Intel announcement = new Macbook Pro at Macworld in January?!

Could this coincide with Snow Leopard?

Oh yes, let it snow, let it snow

That would be totally fab. I'm going to NY in January and would love to bag a brand new Mac, hopefully the £->$ rate stays as good as it is!
  • Reply 5 of 74
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BandiTT View Post

Sometime bewteen now and never.
  • Reply 6 of 74
    hfuhfu Posts: 55member
    Quad core MBP with Snow Leopard is one step closer to become reality if the chip released in 90 days is in the range of 35W TDP.

Official Intel Press Release on Centrino 2 (Montevina) Platform
  • Reply 7 of 74
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    The new MacBook will probably be offered with the P8400 and P8600. The new MacBook Pro will probably be offered with the P8600 and P9500.
  • Reply 8 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuartea View Post

...took the words right out of my mouth.
  • Reply 9 of 74
    i've been waiting to get a new computer for college which start in augest. i am wondering when the hell are they going to bring out new macbook pro and macbooks?
  • Reply 10 of 74
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    again, the much awaited these CPUs do not give lots of performance improvement over the last one, apple may decided SKIP this update completely go with newer ones MWSF 2009 ...

on a entirely different note,

it is kinda of sad, not much performance improvement, AMD you got 6 more months to hurry up ...
  • Reply 11 of 74
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshu24 View Post

i've been waiting to get a new computer for college which start in augest. i am wondering when the hell are they going to bring out new macbook pro and macbooks?

when the new enclosure ready!!! and when apple is free from iPhone frezny!
  • Reply 12 of 74
    So does anyone know whats up with Intels "switchable graphics" (allows a laptop to have both low-power integrated graphics and a high-powered discrete GPU, allowing you to switch between high performance and low power usage) ?

Both AMD/ATI and nVidia have similar solutions. AMD's is called "Hybrid Graphics/PowerXpress" and nVidia's platform is called "HybridPower". Now I believe nVidia doesn't make laptop motherboards, so their tech is desktop only. AMD's solution works with their laptop motherboards and ATI cards. So I'm wondering which discrete graphics cards work with Intel's system? GPUs from both vendors?
  • Reply 13 of 74
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Intel added that Centrino 2 processor will also deliver for the first time the horsepower and battery life to watch a typical full-length Blu-ray high-definition video on a single battery charge.

That will come in handy on Macbooks
  • Reply 14 of 74
    Just check those bad boys out!
  • Reply 15 of 74
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

again, the much awaited these CPUs do not give lots of performance improvement over the last one, apple may decided SKIP this update completely go with newer ones MWSF 2009 ...

on a entirely different note, it is kinda of sad, not much performance improvement, AMD you got 6 more months to hurry up ...

Yeah, screw this update, I'm waiting for a Nehalem Mac Pro! As far as AMD, I don't think "Turion Ultra" is going to cut it on laptops, although one could argue that CPU speeds aren't as big of a deal as they used to be, which probably gives traction to the "balanced platform" marketing from AMD of having a decent processor with a decent integrated GPU. I have to agree with them since AMD's integrated graphics are 3-5X faster than Intel.

It looks like AMD's best laptop competition won't come until Q1 2009 (if that) with the Fusion (CPU+GPU) processor. The first Fusion part available is *NOT* going to be based on the 'Bulldozer' core, but instead on a K10 core like Barcelona, but at 45nm. The notebook platform with this processor is codenamed "Swift". (versus "Falcon" platform for the "Bulldozer core + GPU" version of 'Fusion').

Hopefully AMD made this change to move up the release instead of waiting for the next-gen Bulldozer core to be ready. Although on the other hand, Bulldozer could have been delayed and forced their hand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Fusion
  • Reply 16 of 74
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshu24 View Post

Current models are sufficient to get you through school. When the machine will not keep up with your usage, then you need an improved model, not before. So, go get a new MB, and quit worrying about vaporware.
  • Reply 17 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

So does anyone know whats up with Intels "switchable graphics" (allows a laptop to have both low-power integrated graphics and a high-powered discrete GPU, allowing you to switch between high performance and low power usage) ?

Both AMD/ATI and nVidia have similar solutions. AMD's is called "Hybrid Graphics/PowerXpress" and nVidia's platform is called "HybridPower". Now I believe nVidia doesn't make laptop motherboards, so their tech is desktop only. AMD's solution works with their laptop motherboards and ATI cards. So I'm wondering which discrete graphics cards work with Intel's system? GPUs from both vendors?

That is the question. Montevina is so far behind that I wouldn't be surprised to see another delay, especially with AMD no where near Intel on the mobile field. Anand was able to get one system from Sony and the quality of that was poor. Anand didn't even know if it was going to dynamically switch from integrated to discrete on the fly (like when it's n battery or plugged in) or if a restart was required.
  • Reply 18 of 74
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BandiTT View Post

The iMac already has these....
  • Reply 19 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwdawso View Post

The iMac already has these....

Montevina won't be out for another month, if not longer. What the iMac is still Santa Rosa, but with Montevina qualities. I had thought the same thing too when I saw the specs.

Current iMac CPU numbers:
    • E8135 = 2.40GHz

• E8335 = 2.66GHz

• E8235 = 2.80GHz

• E8435 = 3.06GHz
  • Reply 20 of 74
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuartea View Post

I know- it's more like AppleIphoner or iPhoneInsider here for the last year.