Intel says first quad-core mobile chips on the horizon

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    The headline says "Intel says first quad-core mobile chips on the horizon" but the actual word "quad" does not appear in the entire article.....

Still, it caught my attention and I read it, and though a somewhat interesting read, not what was promised by the headline.

Perhaps they should change the headline to "Apple computers proven to improve your love life"

Edit: On re-read, I notice the first para says "four cores". But still, it's not the main thrust of the article....
  • Reply 42 of 74
    zevotzevot Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It will, but not the first version of Nehalen.

actually i am afraid you may not be entirely correct

according to thishttp://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...l_Rumours.html

and this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem...oarchitecture)

mobile nehalem cpus wont be out until Q309 so it will the the first version

and this makes me wonder what Apple could update during the 12 months of no-new-cpus

...mb DDR2 to 3
  • Reply 43 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

again, the much awaited these CPUs do not give lots of performance improvement over the last one, apple may decided SKIP this update completely go with newer ones MWSF 2009 ...

on a entirely different note,

it is kinda of sad, not much performance improvement, AMD you got 6 more months to hurry up ...

Sad? sad to be able to compute with a cold macbook on my knees 24/24? Nope

Sad to compute wit a gigabit front side bus and play HD on my MotuV3HD from the macbook? Nope

I will let you work with the old hot fryers......sham, but I will take the cold fast route with Apple.
  • Reply 44 of 74
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zevot View Post

actually i am afraid you may not be entirely correct

according to thishttp://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...l_Rumours.html

and this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem...oarchitecture)

and this makes me wonder what Apple could update during the 12 months of no-new-cpus

...mb DDR2 to 3

What we do know from Intel (remember them?), those chips will be out around the middle of the year. That's subject to change, but it could come a bit earlier as well, say 2nd quarter.

At any rate, what I said is pretty much correct. Snow Leopard will likely come out at the ADC, which is in the early part of the 3rd quarter. Apple often announces machines with new chips, and says they will be available a few weeks later. Intel has also accommodated Apple several times with early chip delivery, ahead of other firms, and even a special version, twice.

Of course, all calculations can be off. Everything sits on a normal curve. The top iof those curves is the most likely place things will end up, with a plus or minus . But, if something arrives early, or late, the tops of the curves may no longer line up and then estimates will be off.
  • Reply 45 of 74
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

What we do know from Intel (remember them?), those chips will be out around the middle of the year. That's subject to change, but it could come a bit earlier as well, say 2nd quarter.

At any rate, what I said is pretty much correct. Snow Leopard will likely come out at the ADC, which is in the early part of the 3rd quarter. Apple often announces machines with new chips, and says they will be available a few weeks later. Intel has also accommodated Apple several times with early chip delivery, ahead of other firms, and even a special version, twice.

Goodness gracious me this is all getting a little confusing:

Montevina Apple release in January 2009.

Nehalem Apple early release in June 2009 with SnowLeopard.

2 chips in just a couple of months?

Why do I bother?

My Powerbook will be 4 in June 2009.
  • Reply 46 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Why do I bother?

Montevina doesn't go away when Nelahem arrives, Nelahem replaces Penryn. It is confusing, as Intel uses complex codenames that are uncommon words to us. in the next year we are seeing two transitions happen.

The first is the Santa Rosa platform being replaced with the Montevina platform. The 'platform' includes the CPU, mainboard chipset and wireless network interface. The marketing of this has been called Centrino. Montevina is the 5th generation of the platform.
    The next transition we will see is in the Penryn microarchitecture being replaced with the Nehelam microarchitecture. This refers to the CPU itself undergoing some major changes.
    So with regards to Platform/Microarchitecture MBPs are using Santa Rosa/Penryn right now. Next they will use Montevina/Penryn will little chip-over-chip performance increase but will use a lot less power and some HW features like H.264 decoding will be included. After that we drop Penryn and move to Nelahem so we'll have Montevina/Nelahem arriving in 2009.

I hope that helps.
  • Reply 47 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zevot View Post

...mb DDR2 to 3

Wow! I had thought the mobile side would be mass produced in Q1 of 2009. I guess I'll be buying a new MBP come Montevina then as I do not wish to wait a year.

So if we have new Montevina/Penryn MB/MBPs between Sept-Nov 2008 and Montevina/Nehelam MB/MBPs won't come out for a year afterwards, what is hitting for the 6 month cycle? All clearly knows Intel's roadmap better than we do and have planned it's releases to best match. I wonder if Apple will not update the MB/MBPs until Jan-Feb with Montevina.

Since Apple usually extends the time between refreshes when it's bringing out a new case MacWorld would be the perfect pcae to showcase this. Everyone would be expecting a new case at that point if 9 months have gone between refreshes. And of course we'll be hearing how Apple doesn't care about it's Mac line anymore blah blah blah.

anyone with timeline insights into what may happen here with Intel's roadmap?
  • Reply 48 of 74
    Quote:

Why do I bother?

Why do you bother what?

si far you haven;t done anything. Intel is still mostly making 65nm chips now. Do you think that because a new chip platform comes out, the old ones disappear overnight? They don't.
  • Reply 49 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Wow! I had thought the mobile side would be mass produced in Q1 of 2009. I guess I'll be buying a new MBP come Montevina then as I do not wish to wait a year.

So if we have new Montevina/Penryn MB/MBPs between Sept-Nov 2008 and Montevina/Nehelam MB/MBPs won't come out for a year afterwards, what is hitting for the 6 month cycle? All clearly knows Intel's roadmap better than we do and have planned it's releases to best match. I wonder if Apple will not update the MB/MBPs until Jan-Feb with Montevina.

Since Apple usually extends the time between refreshes when it's bringing out a new case MacWorld would be the perfect pcae to showcase this. Everyone would be expecting a new case at that point if 9 months have gone between refreshes. And of course we'll be hearing how Apple doesn't care about it's Mac line anymore blah blah blah.

anyone with timeline insights into what may happen here with Intel's roadmap?

We know approximately when things will happen. But Intel is doing so well with the current designs, they likely want to squeeze a bit more profit out of them, esp. with AMD being dead in the water.

If that weren't the case, then we could possibly have seen Nehalen for the Mac Pro out already, as I had hoped we would, and the mobile versions in the late first quarter as you have.

But, AMD's slow death is giving Intel a bit more time to refine their process.
  • Reply 50 of 74
    Quote:

Montevina doesn't go away when Nelahem arrives, Nelahem replaces Penryn. It is confusing, as Intel uses complex codenames that are uncommon words to us. in the next year we are seeing two transitions happen.

The first is the Santa Rosa platform being replaced with the Montevina platform. The 'platform' includes the CPU, mainboard chipset and wireless network interface. The marketing of this has been called Centrino. Montevina is the 5th generation of the platform.
    The next transition we will see is in the Penryn microarchitecture being replaced with the Nehelam microarchitecture. This refers to the CPU itself undergoing some major changes.
    So with regards to Platform/Microarchitecture MBPs are using Santa Rosa/Penryn right now. Next they will use Montevina/Penryn will little chip-over-chip performance increase but will use a lot less power and some HW features like H.264 decoding will be included. After that we drop Penryn and move to Nelahem so we'll have Montevina/Nelahem arriving in 2009.

I hope that helps.

thanks a lot, that is greatly appreciated

it is now time to wow an Apple genius!
  • Reply 51 of 74
    Quote:

Why do you bother what?

si far you haven;t done anything. Intel is still mostly making 65nm chips now. Do you think that because a new chip platform comes out, the old ones disappear overnight? They don't.

? nono, but a little less heat would be a great welcome. My powerbook sounds like a hoover.

Oh, and Leopard is making my mail go bananas. It crashes several times a day.

Cooler chips + Snowleopard: I am looking fwd to a cool Summer in 2009
  • Reply 52 of 74
    Quote:

? nono, but a little less heat would be a great welcome. My powerbook sounds like a hoover.

Oh, and Leopard is making my mail go bananas. It crashes several times a day.

Cooler chips + Snowleopard: I am looking fwd to a cool Summer in 2009

You must have some other problem. I've been using 10.5 since a few days after it came out, and Mail is as stable as it ever was, possibly more so.

Going to the 25 watt chip will help that. not everyone needs the ultimate in power for portable use.
  • Reply 53 of 74
    Quote:

Nehalem will not use Montevina. Trust me on that. Montevina is a FSB chipset, it won't work with processors that don't use the FSB and have integrated memory controllers. By the time Intel gets around to mobile Nehalem, supposedly Q309, it'll have its own new chipset. Probably PM/GM55, whatever their codename is.
  • Reply 54 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Nehalem will not use Montevina. Trust me on that. Montevina is a FSB chipset, it won't work with processors that don't use the FSB and have integrated memory controllers. By the time Intel gets around to mobile Nehalem, supposedly Q309, it'll have its own new chipset. Probably PM/GM55, whatever their codename is.

I think the point he was making was that neither the cpu or the chipset would be going away for a while after Intel releases Nehalen.
  • Reply 55 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

You could be right. According to Wikipedia Capella due out in Q3 2009, the same time as notebook Nelahem, but my point was to illustrate the tick/tock of Intel releases.
  • Reply 56 of 74
    joshu24joshu24 Posts: 3member
    i could careless about the iphone it need alot of basic features for me to buy it. i am just wanting them to get he new computers out before colleges start there fall semster.
  • Reply 57 of 74
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshu24 View Post

i could careless about the iphone it need alot of basic features for me to buy it. i am just wanting them to get he new computers out before colleges start there fall semster.

Why, what's wrong with the current generation?
  • Reply 58 of 74
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pilottage View Post

Sad? sad to be able to compute with a cold macbook on my knees 24/24? Nope

Sad to compute wit a gigabit front side bus and play HD on my MotuV3HD from the macbook? Nope

I will let you work with the old hot fryers......sham, but I will take the cold fast route with Apple.

hahaha if it is cool then it is fine ...

but again, there is not many review which suggest you would benefit from the new CPU/Motherboard compared to the older ones ...

remember, intel not fixed their problems with Integrated Graphics with their mainboard yet, it is ok with discrete graphics only... ( so macbook is completely out of question atleast intel address it quickly)

i will be happy as you (if it can give 5 to 10% improvement all over not just the video/video editing/hd) ...

i do not watch HD on laptops any way
  • Reply 59 of 74
    real Quad Core news

-----------------------------

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/07/16/...rs-next-month/

before jump the gun, it will cost more than US $1K ... start your engines ...
  • Reply 60 of 74
    Quote:

Nehalen for portable applications won't be out until sometime next year. How long to you think Apple should wait?

If everyone else is going this way, and Apple doesn't, they will be behind for too long.

What kind of improvements do you see in Intel's line-up between these chips and January? I can't see much of anything.

Then there will be that wait for Nehalen. Another few months.

No, do it for the back to school second-term people, when it's needed.

I wish they release before back to school, but from now to till sep, not much time there given there seems to problem with integrated graphics which puts brakes on mac book...

mel, is Nehalem will use same mother board as current (newer ones?)?