Anti-DRM protest at Apple stores; Verizon on iPhone 3G's impact

Comments

• Reply 61 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I think Apple would convert the entire ITMS to iTunes Plus (or whatever they call it), if they could. Sales show clearly that people want DRM-free music, as evidenced in the Amazon music store and in the ITMS even now. Steve made it clear that he doesn't want DRM on that platform as well. I'm not sure it will have any affect on Apple's stance (if they release compatibility for OGG it won't be because of this), but they will succeed in inconveniencing a lot of people who are just trying to get their day's shopping over with.

I don't really thank Steve or Apple really gives a crap about DRM on their music. For that matter, I don't think Amazon does either except as a selling point for its service. Everyone sees to ignore the fact that iTunes was looking at being investigated by the European Union at the same time Steve Jobs conveniently writes a letter about the evils of DRM. I hope no one seriously thinks the timing was some wonderful coincidence.
  • Reply 62 of 126
    I am not a Verizon customer but I will say this as much trash that gets talked about them and now any carrier not named AT&T in here. I mean you cant help but respect the fact that they can lose a couple of thousand people to AT&T because they keep adding at least a million a quarter. I think most of the customers buying the iphone are coming from Sprint it seems.
  • Reply 63 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

I wouldn't know, I'm just saying we shouldn't automatically say it's windows. It may very well be windows, as that makes the most sence, but I'm saying that it's not automatically windows, as someone here, I forget how far back, implied.

It's been discussed for a few years now; since Apple Stores first received them. They are WInCE. I'm not a 100% sure but I think this is a similar model, if not the model they use. Not cheap devices. Next time you are in an Apple Store ask a sales clerk to turn his over to see the Windows logo.
  • Reply 64 of 126
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

With 3G GSM (UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA), you can still receive phone calls while using the data side of the service. With GSM EDGE and 3G CDMA (EVDO), incoming calls are blocked while using data. Advantage: GSM.

Moot point if you can't get any GSM signal.

Most places I travel to have zero GSM coverage, but really good CDMA coverage. That alone makes the iPhone an impossible deal for me, even though I really want one badly.
  • Reply 65 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post

I am not a Verizon customer but I will say this as much trash that gets talked about them and now any carrier not named AT&T in here. I mean you cant help but respect the fact that they can lose a couple of thousand people to AT&T because they keep adding at least a million a quarter. I think most of the customers buying the iphone are coming from Sprint it seems.

What is you reasoning for that? Not that you're wrong, I just don't see why more would be coming from Sprint for the iPhone than from Verizon.

Surely, Sprint is haemorrhaging customers left and right, but of any carrier with an iPhone competitor it's Sprint.... at least according to their very expensive marketing campaign.
  • Reply 66 of 126
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

FSF is much more about software than hardware. Their ideal is that the software be open.

So we can have a bunch of poorly written applications that at best ruin everything Apple put into making the iPhone interface clean, simple and easy to use? At worst there will be a flood of very poorly or intentionally malicious applications that brick the iPhone and require Apple support to fix free of charge. Why would they open themselves up to that and why should we suffer the consequences?
  • Reply 67 of 126
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gobble gobble View Post

If they want to promote free software that's fine, but why do they need to be self-righteous dicks about it.

Because they are self-righteous dicks?
  • Reply 68 of 126
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

I would like to hearby announce the formation of the Locked, Safe, and Controlled software association. As our first offical activity, we will be handing out these flyers:

All who wish to participate, please find someone passing out the rival flyers, and give all of their readers one of these. Thank you.

Get a fucking life. Seriously.
  • Reply 69 of 126
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Or one word... "Next!"

Or no words... just a finger. And not any finger, but THE finger!
  • Reply 70 of 126
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can only assume that you are being sarcastic about Apple being gone in a year. As for Ogg, there are potential legal issues floating around regarding patent infringement. Maybeing it's just a bald-faced lie by closed source codec groups trying to keep Ogg down so they can make more money, but if true it could be a reason why this free-to-all container format is not being widely adopted in lieu of the fee-based Mp3 codec.

Yeah, I read that speculation on Daring Fireball I think. Sounds like a very legitimate business concern. If no OTHER big company has dared risk major legal repercussions by using these "free' formats, then why should Apple test the waters first? In, fact Apple may be more vulnerable than some other companies: they make a juicy target these days.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I thought it was one of those hammer-wielding Nordic gods?

Thanks--you're right. I looked it up on Wikipedia.
  • Reply 71 of 126
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

It's been discussed for a few years now; since Apple Stores first received them. They are WInCE. I'm not a 100% sure but I think this is a similar model, if not the model they use. Not cheap devices. Next time you are in an Apple Store ask a sales clerk to turn his over to see the Windows logo.

I don't think that's the unit that I saw, but I did see the screen yesterday when I was returning a case. The soft keyboard certainly looks like a Windows CE keypad. I was concentrating on the keypad to make sure the girl was entering the right spelling, I didn't look to see the title bar. I have no reason to believe it's not Windows, it's possible but not very likely. I think it's more work than it is worth to make an alternate OS for a niche device, be it by Symbol, Apple or a third party. If Apple goes to that effort, they might as well make a card swiper dock module for the iPhone/iTouch instead and portable POS app for the platform.
  • Reply 72 of 126
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Honestly, these people got nothing else better to do in their life except to find people mistakes or restrictions.
  • Reply 73 of 126
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robb1068 View Post

Ha! This will be a total burn on Apple when those Genius Bar employees can't answer their questions on Apple's DRM policies.

No it won't.

The Genius bar is not (and should not be) for questioning Apple policies. It's to get help with software/hardware.

Why it is designed a certain way is not part of their job to explain.
  • Reply 74 of 126
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Most places I travel to have zero GSM coverage, but really good CDMA coverage. That alone makes the iPhone an impossible deal for me, even though I really want one badly.

Likewise, some of the places I've traveled had excellent GSM coverage but non-existent CDMA. Hence I ditched Verizon before the trial period expired. Lucky me, though, an iPhone works great where I travel.
  • Reply 75 of 126
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Asking technicians questions on corporate development policy? Geeks! Tragically the SDLC also asks the wrong question of the wrong person which explains why the software may be technically great but is generally unusable.

McD
  • Reply 76 of 126
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think that's the unit that I saw, but I did see the screen yesterday when I was returning a case. The soft keyboard certainly looks like a Windows CE keypad. I was concentrating on the keypad to make sure the girl was entering the right spelling, I didn't look to see the title bar. I have no reason to believe it's not Windows, it's possible but not very likely. I think it's more work than it is worth to make an alternate OS for a niche device, be it by Symbol, Apple or a third party. If Apple goes to that effort, they might as well make a card swiper dock module for the iPhone/iTouch instead and portable POS app for the platform.

It was full blown WinCE software as of last summer.

They flash them with new builds/features and increasing reliability, too - with inordinate frequency. (What a thankless job at Cupertino that must be: WinCE interface designer)

It is also a powerful [subversive] tidbit to relate to the customer as their credit card is swiped for a MacBook Pro and it locks up and needs to be rebooted that, "oh harhar this thing runs Windows, actually "

omgdon'tsueme edit: that was not condoned; it just seemed natural to put an annoyed customer at ease if you yourself are savvy enough to note that mostly-unimportant irony.

They did roll out iPhones with live sales numbers to managers to untether them from checking a POS Mac for those stats. I don't see what they would really gain from iPhone+30-pin magnetic stripe peripheral aside from sexiness and reinforcement of corporate oneness/unity, though.
  • Reply 77 of 126
    Quote:

This is not the first we've heard of NY being very Verizon-friendly compared to AT&T in that regard. The odd thing is that a couple months ago AT&T released a a report of his superior 3G data speeds that I believe was from that area.

Luckily, I tend to travel in areas that are well covered by AT&T.

What part of lower NY do you live in? I live on long island and the signal levels between att and verizon are the same. My gf has verizon and i have att and we get the same signal level everywhere. including nyc. In spots (like northport) att gets better reception.

PS It looks like for the iphone 3g launch all of long island has 3g now.
  • Reply 78 of 126
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Not content with a denial of service attack the FSF is now spamming blogs with a form letter response:

http://www.bynkii.com/archives/2008/...le_deeper.html

I wonder the ratio of coders to useless mouthbreathers that the FSF has these days...thank god that Apple is contributing to LLVM. Someday we might be able to simply punt gcc if they can dump the gcc front end for C/C++ and go GPL free...
  • Reply 79 of 126
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Even my hatred for Verizon and their ridiculous fees cannot ignore the fact that in lower NY state, their cellular service is superior to AT&T. EVDO is thoroughly implanted wherever they have a signal. 3G is spotty at best, especially above NYC.

Exactly- That's why I would never switch in NYC. It's all about the connection on the phone- clear as pin drop. AT&T is many times full of static- especially those 2G iPhones- awful.
  • Reply 80 of 126
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Also the fact the you can't send anyone a pic on the fly without using email is a done deal for me.