Apple launches iPhone 2.0.2 update

Comments

• Reply 101 of 219
    I have download a link for the update file off a link from the tuaw.com. My question is I am at work and would it be possible to update my iphone from 7.0.2.16? I can't update itunes at work.
  • Reply 102 of 219
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    Here's the thing. I'm a total Apple fanboy, owned 12 macs so since 1990, wouldn't even consider another computer/OS. I've waited years for a device like the iPhone from Apple. I held off from the first version because I was traveling a lot, and I wanted the 3G model once it came out. Meanwhile I would quietly check my email on my Sidekick II, flick it open and zip through the menus and apps quickly so no-one around would see the bulky, battered old case, then flip it shut in a matter of seconds, job done.

The wait was SOOOO long, and I counted the days until July 11. I finally got my hands it on July 14 after (relatively quick) 2 hour wait in line.

I'm sad. It's such a disappointment. It all feels so sluggish, so slow, so sticky. I was looking forward to better reception and call quality, you know, like a real phone. But no such luck. The signal is weaker in my home than ever, and when I'm out and about in Los Angeles, I'm lucky if I can keep a conversation going, or that my call recipient can even hear me without repeating everything 3 times.

I'm constantly having to swipe the damn slider button to see if I have any emails messages waiting - why can't there simply be message notifications on the top bar next to the battery? The old Sidekick would keep the screen active with the backlight off, but you could still see the screen in bright light.

There are so many great things about the iPhone, but they're generally marred by the speed of the OS. To my surprise I found I could actually type quite quickly on the touch keyboard - but that the keyboard just couldn't keep up with me. Why does Settings take 2-3 seconds to come up? I've updated to 2.0.2, and however hard I try, I can't see any improvement.

Well that's my moan over. And I didn't even mention the battery that rarely lasts a day, or the lack of C&P, or the tiny cracks that are appearing on the back of my white case...

But iTunes Remote rocks!
  • Reply 103 of 219
    i applied the 2.02 update and the phone is now more responsive

Contacts - way better

SMS- real time

Mail - snappier

GPS - same

Just moving around on the phone seems better.

Never had a problem with 3G and frankly dont need 3G to make a phone call.

Too much whining on this board.
  • Reply 104 of 219
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudtamer View Post

I have download a link for the update file off a link from the tuaw.com. My question is I am at work and would it be possible to update my iphone from 7.0.2.16? I can't update itunes at work.

I think you'll have to try it to find out. Apple will always list the latest version of iTunes but I don't know if they put any stops in iTunes that won't allow updates if the IPSW doesn't match a certain criteria. I think you'll be okay but report back here to let us know either way.
  • Reply 105 of 219
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alangsam View Post

Contacts - way better

SMS- real time

Mail - snappier

GPS - same

Contacts - unresponsive for 2 seconds

SMS - nothing appears for 2 seconds

Mail - only thing that's work ok from the start

GPS - 4 second wait for a map
  • Reply 106 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mutant View Post

What part of the city? I'm on 50th and Broadway on the 17th floor. Always got full 3G. I would take a cab home to Jersey City and even would get full reception through the Holland Tunnel. Well almost full reception, about halfway through there's a curve in the road and my bars would go down but still kept 3G.

In my house in JC, my 3G would be about 1-3 bars. Hopefully it will be better.

Park between 25th and 26th...was in the LES at home (same story), and just moved to Williamsburg (same story). As I type, I have 3 bars and get spotty voice and zero data throughput. At $30 a month, just beyond frustrating...
  • Reply 107 of 219
    Alll these problems with 2.0; the reason I'm still with 1.1.4

• Reply 108 of 219
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    I've been an apple zealot probably longer than many of you have been alive, so I'm not really here to whine, just to relate my experience.

Over the course of a two week period my 3G iPhone suffered 13 mediaserverd crashes, 9 MobileSafari crashes, 3 Remote crashes, 1 ResetCounter crash, 3 Shazam crashes, 21 SpringBoard crashes, 1 VNC crash, and 1 iPhone PANIC. (I understand the 3rd party app crashes are not necessarily Apple's fault.) There was also one instance where my PPC hung immediately after connecting my iPhone and there was one instance where my PPC PANICed immediately after the connected iPhone received a text message. (And I understand that the hang and the PANIC are not necessarily related to the iPhone but my machine hasn't seen those types of issues in a long while and you gotta admit that it's a significant coincidence.)

Couple all that with the known issues everyone here is discussing and which I experienced (Contacts app, general lag, 3G connectivity) and the fact that Apple tech support and genius bar play a mean game of pass the buck, and about the only thing I felt could I do was return the phone.

So I returned it.

As much as I like the thing and want one, I don't have the time or desire to help Apple debug this particular product. Guess I'll wait for the lot of you to do that and I'll buy a more solid product this fall! Back to my trusty reliable dumb phone for the time being.
  • Reply 109 of 219
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Phone worked great before, works great now.

LOL @ the guy complaining about not being able to copy and paste. Download the SDK and get on it, sport.

LOL at some jackass who thinks basic functionality on a high-tech phone should be provided by the end-user.

• Reply 110 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rygriffin333 View Post

Park between 25th and 26th...was in the LES at home (same story), and just moved to Williamsburg (same story). As I type, I have 3 bars and get spotty voice and zero data throughput. At $30 a month, just beyond frustrating...

Scratch that. I reset my network settings and rebooted the phone, and now I don't get 3G service at all. Maybe that's actually a good thing...meaning, the displayed signal is actually more accurate than it was previously.

That said, I'm still dead in the blue in AT&T's 3G map...so this pretty much blows.
  • Reply 111 of 219
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

21 SpringBoard crashes

What do you mean by SpringBoard crashes?
  • Reply 112 of 219
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alangsam View Post

Contacts - way better

SMS- real time

Mail - snappier

GPS - same

Your evidence is overwhelming!

Especially the "way better" observation.
  • Reply 113 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rygriffin333 View Post

Scratch that. I reset my network settings and rebooted the phone, and now I don't get 3G service at all. Maybe that's actually a good thing...meaning, the displayed signal is actually more accurate than it was previously.

That said, I'm still dead in the blue in AT&T's 3G map...so this pretty much blows.

Switch airplane mode on and then off after a few seconds.
  • Reply 114 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Your evidence is overwhelming!

Especially the "way better" observation.

Good to see the positive responses.

The more people who say the .2 is an improvement, the better.

Care to add to the conversation?
  • Reply 115 of 219
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What do you mean by SpringBoard crashes?

the SpringBoard is where you end up when you press the home button once. it's where you see all the application icons and is the functionality that launches the applications. (someone correct me if i'm wrong, as if i have to ask ;-)

on a mac, all the iPhone crash info is stored under /Users/<your_userid>/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/<iPhone_device_name>/
  • Reply 116 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

Lol, good form.

Back to the topic, here almost in the middle of London (Notting Hill/Bayswater) my iPhone's 3G bars are constantly jumping up an down from 1 to 5 and back like (I presume) Dick Cheney's heart on 5 Red Bulls ... Furthermore, the 3G signal is being very frequently replaced by Edge even as I am strolling quietly around my flat. The situation is no better at the flagship Apple store itself (on Regent street) - it was almost embarrassing to watch an Apple presenter swapping 3G for wifi during an iPhone presentation; the chap mumbled the usual mantra 'thanking o2 for that connection' but I doubt more and more that the network operator is in fact to blame ...

Also true that the iPod function usually interferes with web-surfing (and vice versa) - have had quite a few 'broken records' while trying only these 2 functionalities at once ...

In addition, did you notice that the GPS has an allarming tendency to be 'unable to determine your current location'? For me, it happens nine times out of ten ... And I'm not doing it in my basement, if you would like to ask.

Plus, many outside apps (such as the Facebook chat) break down almost constantly for no apparent reason, and yet again I have a suspicion it may not be (at least solely) Facebook's or other developers' fault ...

And iPhone's Bluetooth capabilities and its battery life - don't even get me started ...

Finally, Apple, are you going to address the total travesty that is the iPhone's genocide of custom ringtones and its collection of factory ringtones that is worthy of any respectable mobile phone circa 1994 ... And please, spare me the usual 'legal/illegal ... copyright' bullshit this time ...

And what is copy/paste, by the way? Personally, never heard of such a groundbreaking functionality.

This note might prove helpful to the 'current location' issue. Although I am new to the iPod Touch and probably not as familiar with all elements of the iPhone, I discovered that I could not, in Maps, have the preference toggled for 'List', but rather, it has to be set to either satellite or hybrid; otherwise, the map for current location cannot be displayed. Just tap the icon on the lower right hand corner, and when the corner of the page lifts up, tap either Hybrid or Satellite option. Then, try again to establish your current location.

I hope someone else can benefit from this information.
  • Reply 117 of 219
    Since the 2.0.2 firmware update to my iPod Touch, its wi-fi reception has improved.
  • Reply 118 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by morluk View Post

I am very disappointed with iphone for the following resasons

1. there is no copy and paste (unbelievable)

2. there is no any kind of search (another unbelievable)

3. if you are not subscribed call display even the caller in your contacts it doesn't show you the caller

4. there is no any desktop application to update calender and/or contacts, you have to have MS products (what a shame)

Return it and get something else. Why are you hijacking this thread with an irrelevant rant.
  • Reply 119 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

not sure what was fixed. Seems to work as it did with 2.0.1. Can't say anything has improved.... I guess, it did not break things.... so far so good.

I don't see a difference either!
  • Reply 120 of 219
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by morluk View Post

I am very disappointed with iphone for the following resasons

1. there is no copy and paste (unbelievable)

2. there is no any kind of search (another unbelievable)

3. if you are not subscribed call display even the caller in your contacts it doesn't show you the caller

4. there is no any desktop application to update calender and/or contacts, you have to have MS products (what a shame)

Apparently there is no any grammar or spell checker either!