Class action suit claims Apple deceived over iPhone 3G speeds

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 211
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wonder what the plantiff was getting. I have doubts that she actually tested her phone.

I wouldn't have thought Rogers' 3G speeds would be so high. The US data roaming is interesting as I see no reason why Rogers would even need to make prices cheaper in the US, especially that much cheaper. I wonder if Apple had any influence there. That is a huge drop; only 20% of the amount all the other phones pay, and they don't have the iPhone's browser or apps.

Have been in contact with Rogers. Apparently it is capped now at 4 and will be gradually increased to a max of 7.

A lot of misinformation about Rogers. Have had good experiences. Just a phone call and a little politeness goes a long way.

As you know, there isn't anyway that one can directly compare wireless services and their respective charges from one carrier or country to another. However, I would highly suggest that the difference between Rogers and AT&T are relatively insignificant. If anything, Rogers has done a great job considering our spread out population and the building of its network at the time that our dollar was significantly lower. Yet the monthly bills are quite similar.

By the way, I am not sure what you meant by, "?they don't have the iPhone's browser or apps." Except for some radio apps, we have most or most of them for sure.
  • Reply 202 of 211
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

A lot of misinformation about Rogers. Have had good experiences. Just a phone call and a little politeness goes a long way.

I had such a bad experience with Cingular and vowed never to return, but I wanted an iPhone so I gave it a shot. My experience with the network and customer service has been great. While completely anecdotal I wonder if it's the frustrations I had with the phone that made me hate Cingular, not the service itself.

Quote:

By the way, I am not sure what you meant by, "?they don't have the iPhone's browser or apps." Except for some radio apps, we have most or most of them for sure.

I was referring to the much lower data rate for using the iPhone in the US. The iPhone's App Store has many apps that use the internet as well as the best browser for a mobile phone. No other cellphone can compete with this (yet) so the data usage will be much higher on the iPhone than it will be on other cellphones. Therefore, I'm surprised that Rogers would have lowered the data usage fees to 20% of what other phones get charged.
  • Reply 203 of 211
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:

No other cellphone can compete with this (yet) so the data usage will be much higher on the iPhone than it will be on other cellphones.

This is why I love reading your posts. They just make sense. One word: "yet" implies that Apple is not the final word on use experience and that others will come. Buuuuuuttttttt, some here truly believe that all other phone makers should just close up shop.

Thanks for the great posts. So much balance.
  • Reply 204 of 211
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

This is why I love reading your posts. They just make sense. One word: "yet" implies that Apple is not the final word on use experience and that others will come. Buuuuuuttttttt, some here truly believe that all other phone makers should just close up shop.

I don't think other phone makers should close shop. I agree they should continue to improve.

At the same token, there isn't clear evidence any of the other mobile designers will establish a software base that will equal what Apple is currently doing with the iPhone OS.

To add to the difficulty everything is a moving target. Web standards are constantly in flux. Changing and improving. As well as Apple itself is a moving target. It will contiue to refine and improve OS X as well as the iPhone OS.
  • Reply 205 of 211
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

No other cellphone can compete with this (yet) so the data usage will be much higher on the iPhone than it will be on other cellphones.

But other phones support tethering (yes I know we have had this argument before, but I am referring to out-of-the-box, not via a 3rd party app) which can lead to an increase in data usage.
  • Reply 206 of 211
    "Wired.com's iPhone 3G Survey Reveals Network Weaknesses"
  • Reply 207 of 211
    Quote:

"Wired.com's iPhone 3G Survey Reveals Network Weaknesses"

As well as this:

http://www.gp.se/gp/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=444&a=440573
  • Reply 208 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

But other phones support tethering (yes I know we have had this argument before, but I am referring to out-of-the-box, not via a 3rd party app) which can lead to an increase in data usage.

I think a comparison of what one browsing capability on one phone is, vs another browsing capability on another phone, should not refer to tethering.

The better browsing capability leads to much higher data usage for a high percentage of people with the iPhone.

I don't think tethering is done by a high percentage of any handset out there.

Unless you're saying you can carry around a laptop, tether to it, and then get the full browser effect with that phone and that makes it compete with the iPhone withut a laptop.

I know, you're just saying that while so far the iPhone browsing capability is clearly superior to anything else out there, you can use other phones to tether to your laptop.

The iPhone so far, has kept a huge lead in browsing capability while the competitors that remain have had more than a year to respond. In that year, Apple has continued to fail to respond to the need of some to tether.

I'll let you decide which feature is more important to the people standing in long lines to buy.....
  • Reply 209 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

I think a comparison of what one browsing capability on one phone is, vs another browsing capability on another phone, should not refer to tethering.

The better browsing capability leads to much higher data usage for a high percentage of people with the iPhone.

I don't think tethering is not done by a high percentage of any handset out there.

Unless you're saying you can carry around a laptop, tether to it, and then get the full browser effect with that phone and that makes it compete with the iPhone withut a laptop.

I know, you're just saying that while so far the iPhone browsing capability is clearly superior to anything else out there, you can use other phones to tether to your laptop.

The iPhone so far, has kept a huge lead in browsing capability while the competitors that remain have had more than a year to respond. In that year, Apple has continued to fail to respond to the need of some to tether.

I'll let you decide which feature is more important to the people standing in long lines to buy.....

I think jfanning has a point, albeit indirectly. Since the iPhone is tied to the manufactures more closely and does not easily allow tethering there is much less of a chance for carriers to get abused by the few people that do tether in N. America. This may be the reason why Rogers did decide that going from 100MB to 6GB was safe move, and why allowing 80% cheaper data fees for roaming in the US was feasible. Maybe not, but the iPhone is certainly getting some very preferential treatment by Rogers despite the complaints about cost.
  • Reply 210 of 211
    Quote:

I think jfanning has a point, albeit indirectly. Since the iPhone is tied to the manufactures more closely and does not easily allow tethering there is much less of a chance for carriers to get abused by the few people that do tether in N. America. This may be the reason why Rogers did decide that going from 100MB to 6GB was safe move, and why allowing 80% cheaper data fees for roaming in the US was feasible. Maybe not, but the iPhone is certainly getting some very preferential treatment by Rogers despite the complaints about cost.

They also may be getting better treatment, because Rogers had to make a commitment to sales numbers.

Just thinking outloud......
  • Reply 211 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Just thinking outloud......

I'll take that over posters who don't think, but do it outloud.