Class action suit claims Apple deceived over iPhone 3G speeds

Comments

• Reply 101 of 211
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Apple will be forced to either pull the ads or add the same disclaimer they have on their website...

"Based on 3G and EDGE testing. Actual speeds vary by site conditions."

Stupid people are the reason we have so many Lawyers and Insurance Companies.

Well, it is now on the airwaves.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/sto...5617800&page=1
  • Reply 102 of 211
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

she also suggested that i'd return the phone back to Apple

whatever the case may be i have to commend that young lady for her brave lawsuit - and who knows; maybe david might beat goliath here- and APPLE will fix this issue!!!

#1 Why didn't you just go to Apple and tell them you were having problems with the phone and have them check it out or have them replace it. As consumers in the US we have rights. One of those rights is, if it doesn't work as advertised you can return it and either get a replacement or get your money back.

#2 Brave lawsuit!? How is she being brave? You think this lawsuit is going to force Apple into fixing the problem she's having? Are you insane? All that will come of this is Apple forced to add a disclaimer on the commercials and in advertising.

#3 You don't think Apple is concerned about the issues? And that they aren't already trying hard to fix the problems? Of course they are! This is Apple, a company that pushes out bug fixes faster and more frequently than any other company. It's only been a little over a year now and Apple has pushed out 9 updates, including a major upgrade. (1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.1.3, 1.1.4, 2.0.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2)
  • Reply 103 of 211
    I do get 2x Edge speeds on my 3G iPhone in good network conditions. If the network is poor, why is that Apple's fault? Surly it's the service provider (AT&T, O2 etc) who are responsible for the network, not Apple?!
  • Reply 104 of 211
    when will there be the first lawsuits on the lower than promised quality displays in MBPs?

I exportet the EDID Info of my screen including product code and checked the specs on the oem hardware producer's website.

My MacBookPro display only does 262k colours, not the promised "millions of colours". And it only has a contrast of 400:1 instead of the 500:1. I checked four further macbookpro displays of my friends and all do between 248k and 263k colours (there are 4 different producers). this is actually quite bad. especially because I bought the damn thing also for working on photos. Certain gradients just completely mess up. It all boils down to one thing:

Apple is selling a lot worse hardware quality than it used to. It's a rip off, and apple doesNOTcare.
  • Reply 105 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Obviously your world is very, very tiny and you do not need more than the most basic to survive.

Well the last time i checked it was the same world as yours. That is unless your an alien of course. I mean you can use three phones at the same time.
  • Reply 106 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Well the last time i checked it was the same world as yours. That is unless your an alien of course. I mean you can use three phones at the same time.

N82 = Work phone and number

E61 = Back up phone (just makes sense. Also is has an Arabic keyboard and is a converstation piece)

iPhone = Cool (need I say more? )
  • Reply 107 of 211
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oliverwwb View Post

when will there be the first lawsuits on the lower than promised quality displays in MBPs?

I exportet the EDID Info of my screen including product code and checked the specs on the oem hardware producer's website.

My MacBookPro display only does 262k colours, not the promised "millions of colours". And it only has a contrast of 400:1 instead of the 500:1. I checked four further macbookpro displays of my friends and all do between 248k and 263k colours (there are 4 different producers). this is actually quite bad. especially because I bought the damn thing also for working on photos. Certain gradients just completely mess up. It all boils down to one thing:

Apple is selling a lot worse hardware quality than it used to. It's a rip off, and apple doesNOTcare.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-displays.html
  • Reply 108 of 211
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

The phones I mentioned are 3G phones that perform as advertised. The iPhone is a 3G phone that doesn't. Is this crystal clear now? Game, set, match.

What's crystal clear is that you don't care for Apple even if you own some of their stuff and like to tweak fanbois. You seem positively gleeful when Apple has a misstep...
  • Reply 109 of 211
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,007member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

i have been an APPLE DIE HARD FANBOY (fan man now) 'since '1984 i am an IT TECH in nyc- and i was # 19 on line July 11 at the Soho store in nyc- i waited one whole year and basically drooled over my friends who bought the 1st gen. i-Phone and figured i would wait it out so that i wouldn't be one of the 'testers' of the 1st one- and so when i got my new baby in my hand it was nothing but pure joy and happiness until i tried to use the phone to make calls

You have been an Apple fanboy/man for well over 20 years and you didn't know enough to consider the completely redesigned iPhone G3 a first gen product?

I did not see it as an update of the original iPhone but as a new product and I have only been a Mac fanman since 1990... It is new hardware and new software with new functionality afterall.

Still, I'm sorry your mom is mad at you. Thats never good...
  • Reply 110 of 211
    @penchanted: nice link! I completely overlooked/missed that. How interesting. It hits the spot nicely.
  • Reply 111 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

What's crystal clear is that you don't care for Apple even if you own some of their stuff and like to tweak fanbois. You seem positively gleeful when Apple has a misstep...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................

Please write back with something relevant. This is a non starter.
  • Reply 112 of 211
    fairlyfairly Posts: 102member
    Quote:

Apple expressly stated that these speeds were faster over a 3G connection, and they are

Uh - did they also explain their 3G connectivity was going to be CRAP around the world? I'm looking for it now in their published literature. If you find it first then let us know, OK?
  • Reply 113 of 211
    niplijniplij Posts: 14member
    I guess that being deep Bible Belt we can assume she's religious. Is she therefore also going to sue the church for misinforming her that the Earth is only 6000 years old, when in fact it has been proven beyond reasonable doubt that it is in fact around 4.5 billion years old.
  • Reply 114 of 211
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,099member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I would never yell at you.

But if I did, IT WOULD LOOK SOMETHING LIKE THIS!!!!!

Seriously, the post of yours and I quote, "The lawsuit is suing because Apple said the iPhone 3G is twice as fast as the original iPhone..."

But if her experience is such that she never got to enjoy 3G service and thus 3G speeds and thus could not experience twice as fast as the original iPhone, then she never had a "3G" iPhone, did she? And if the 3G iPhone reverts to speeds of the original iPhone, then nothing was gained for her purchase of a less expensive phone but a more expensive rate plan.

My "Can you hear me now? No!" take on Verizon's commercial is merely satire of someone who cannot for the life of them get reliable 3G to experience that "twice as fast as the original iPhone" no matter where they are, is all I'm saying.

But aren't you comparing the speed of a 3G in less than optimal condition to the speed of a 1G at optimal condition. Just because you're at a location that is getting a slow 3G connection doesn't mean that it's not twice as fast as a 1G. If the 1G were at that same location, that 1G speed might also be degraded.

If you're going to claim that your 3G phone isn't twice as fast as a 1G phone. You just can't compare the speed you're getting on your 3G with what's theoretically possible on a 1G. You need to get a 1G phone and compare them side by side. Under the same condition. A 3G phone can still be twice as fast as a 1G pnone, even if it never connects at 3G. That's because it's possible that under the same condition, the 1G phone might not make a connection at all.

Twice as fast is relative. 100mph is twice as fast as 50mph. But also, 2mph is twice as fast as 1mph. And 1mph is infinitely faster that 0.

Can you hear me now?

Now I do sympathize with people that can't get a desent 3G connection where they live. But just because Apple is trying to resolve the issue by updating the 3G firmware, it doesn't mean that it's not an ATT network problem.
  • Reply 115 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oodlum View Post

*I've never seen an advertisement claiming that macs never crash.

**I've never seen an advertisement claiming that apps never freeze.

***I've never seen an advertisement claiming that my car will never need maintenance.

This suit may seem petty but the point is that Apple promised 2x edge speeds. False advertising.

Your analogies are feeble, no matter how confidently you state them.

The question isn't if they stated it would never crash - the question is did they admit that it might crash. The perception to the end user when you buy, say, a Honda is that it's built really well and isn't going to have the problems of a GM (warranted or not). I can't find anywhere that says "the OS may freeze from time to time, sorry" or "you may happen to get a defective rim and you'll blow out and crash on the highway but the chances are small so don't worry." Apple actually says, explicitly, that the speed tests were done by them, when they were done, what they compared it to and that 3G isn't available in all areas. From a "false advertising" perspective they are fine - it's your own fault for not reading the fine print before entering into a 2 year agreement with a $70+/month plan and ponying up $200+ for a phone.

Honestly - I knew this was going to happen tho. They priced it so low that now so many more people can afford it that people who don't understand a lick about technology are buying and complaining without realizing *why* there's a problem.

I've seen it in my office - people who've sent like 5 text messages their entire life and have never even owned an iPod have them. Which is great for Apple's numbers but when they ask me "how do I cut and paste" and I tell them they can't they are bummed. Do some research before you plunk down that much money - good grief. And if the phone is really that bad why on God's green earth would you keep it?!?!?!
  • Reply 116 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by niplij View Post

I guess that being deep Bible Belt we can assume she's religious. Is she therefore also going to sue the church for misinforming her that the Earth is only 6000 years old, when in fact it has been proven beyond reasonable doubt that it is in fact around 4.5 billion years old.

Oh that's nothing - I saw an article the other day about how Flat Earth believers are still out there! I'd say that trumps anything else...
  • Reply 117 of 211
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Am I missing something here? When you go to Apple's website the first thing to appear states "Twice as fast. Half the price." -without any asterisk footnoting exceptions. This is also on all their print and TV advertising- with no disclaimers.

Now I'm not saying Apple is being deceptive- but that is what they state in all their advertising. Just being devil's advocate- pleez don't get mad people.
  • Reply 118 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gYpSyNeRd View Post

Ridiculous & asinine behavior. How was AT&T left out from consideration in such an ill-intended, not so well thought "let's make some money" kind of an idea. No argument there may be issues in quality of service, but how does an Alabama Lawyer (presumably) and a citizen of same believe that somebody's trying to dupe them or that there's a chance in he!! they'll ever see a dime. Waste of energy better spent on getting an education by finding a college out of state somewhere.

Word from a phrase by Forrest Gump: AlaBAMA...

AT&T is left out because you can take another manufacturers 3G phone on the AT&T network, side by side with the iPhone and it spanks it in speed tests. This is a 3G iPhone issue, pure and simple. Apple should be praying it's not a hardware issue, this story and complaints have alot of traction and attention now.
  • Reply 119 of 211
    niplijniplij Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Oh that's nothing - I saw an article the other day about how Flat Earth believers are still out there! I'd say that trumps anything else...

I saw that as well.. surely it would be in the Flat Earthers interests, and the rest of the human population's come to think of it, to prove their point and find the edge of the earth, photograph it, document it and then jump off it!
  • Reply 120 of 211
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Funnily enough Apple have placed a disclaimer on all of their advertising regarding 'twice as fast'

* Comparisons between iPhone 3G (8GB) and first-generation iPhone (8GB) running on EDGE. Actual speeds vary by site conditions. Requires new two-year AT&T rate plan, sold separately to qualified customers.

Some features, applications, and services are not available in all areas. See your carrier for details.

Some applications are not available in all areas. Application availability and pricing are subject to change.

Just another example of a stupid illiterate cow.