Nokia answers iPhone's blows with its first touchscreen phone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 141
    This 'Comes with music' thing is BS and will never take off. The fact is that subscrtion based music will never take off. If people really wanted that then Napster would be the kings not Itunes. Ncie try Nokia but it will take more than this to knock iphone of its perch.

Also we should bear in mind that the 5800 is not the flagshipfor S60 touch. That will come soon but at that point im sure the iphone next gen phone will once again wipe the floor with all.
  • Reply 42 of 141
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post

Did you people read the article? :???

What part of Winterspan's resistive touchscreen" implies that you can't use your finger? The iPhone is so innovative for many is the use of a capacitance touchscreen. The resistive touchscreen, what all typical stylus based smartphones use and Winterspan compared it to with his "aka" statement, offers less options to the user simply because you do have to physically press the screen to register an input. Just being able to use a finger doesn't mean it's the same experience as the iPhone's patented capacitance touchscreen display.
  • Reply 43 of 141
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    What's the worts that could come from ?

- Apple makes some NEEDED changes, and makes them Sooner then later ?

- Apple makes available the "Inexpensive iPhone" sooner then later ?

A BASIC Iphone at $109.00 ish, will blow the doors off of most anything else that could come down the pike.

- Making this basic model available to any company that wants to sell them ?

- Making it work on as many networks as possible ?

Because Apple knows, if they get you to purchase a basic model anything, it will be just a matter of time, before you buy up to the next best model, and then up to the best model.

But ALL of this will need to happen sooner then later, as most of us know, once you have a contract, well, you won't be buying anything else until the contract is done.

Now there is always the chance that Apple is content with just a small part of the High-end phone sales, in which case, all of the above is for not, but I believe Apple is looking for as much as they can get and have, as quick as they can have it. And based on that, I believe some of what I said above will come true ? sooner then later.

S
  • Reply 44 of 141
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

A BASIC Iphone at $109.00 ish, will blow the doors off of most anything else that could come down the pike.

- Making this basic model available to any company that wants to sell them ?

- Making it work on as many networks as possible ?

Because Apple knows, if they get you to purchase a basic model anything, it will be just a matter of time, before you buy up to the next best model, and then up to the best model.

Apple won't make this "Basic" model, as unlike the iPod, there isn't the profit they demand in this area
  • Reply 45 of 141
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    I think one interesting point people (in the US and Europe) are neglecting in playing up this new phone...This phone wont even be available for 4-6months. Comparing it against the iPhone as it stands misses the point. While its unlikely any major hardware changes will come in that time (a memory size bump is possible I suppose) do you think Apple and its carriers are gonna remain flat footed against something they can see coming a mile away? They will add features to the software, changes subscription rate pricing, etc. to deal with these new phones, and due to the excellent software model and relatively high pricing, they have a LOT of ability to move quickly in both of the aforementioned areas.

Businesses try to pace themselves and innovations. Even if they are able to deliver a product that is 10x better than their competition, they usually scale it back and deliver a 2-3x advantage so that they have a "management reserve" to deal with unforeseen competition. They could have added many more features to the iPhone already and maybe cut costs in half, but they havent needed to yet.

Competition is good, and while the new Nokia doesnt have any appeal to me as ease of use is as important as capability, more competition will mean Apple has to give us even more.
  • Reply 46 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

What's the worts that could come from ?

- Apple makes some NEEDED changes, and makes them Sooner then later ?

- Apple makes available the "Inexpensive iPhone" sooner then later ?

There is certainly a large group that want to combine an iPod and their phone, but don't want the internet side of things, but Apple won't cater to them so soon as it doesn't look like the iPhone saturation point has been met. Once that happens we'll surely see a new iPhone model that targets a different market segment, like we did with the iPod Mini.

A $100 iPhone won't happen. There just isn't any profit there. The 8GB iPod Nano costs $149. Imagine a $200?$250 iPhone Nano that is a basic cellphone with the Nano media player thrown in. This could be subsidized by the carrier making it free for a two year contract, but if I were Apple I'd making any partners agree to only sell it for full price without a contract or at ~$100 with only a one-year contract to help spur new sales with the next revision.
  • Reply 47 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

The Comes with Music thing will be a hit. DRM free music, able to trasfer it to any device, is an instant hit. Even Amazon is showing great signs of promise. iTunes DRM days may be numbered if they do not start offering DRM free music. As there are several DRM removal scenarios available for iTunes purchased music, and hopefully one coming for video media as well, the 5800 is poised to jump right in the face of Apple in terms of content management, and user experience.

Interesting times are coming.

Just throwing this out there, but there is iTunes Plus, which is DRM free music... It may cost a little more money, but it is available as an option. This is something Apple openly supported earlier this year, encouraging the recording industry to generally turn away from DRM.
  • Reply 48 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChronoFlare View Post

Just throwing this out there, but there is iTunes Plus, which is DRM free music... It may cost a little more money, but it is available as an option. This is something Apple openly supported earlier this year, encouraging the recording industry to generally turn away from DRM.

Of course, remembering that most of the music available on iTunes isn't DRM free
  • Reply 49 of 141
    Quote:

The Comes with Music thing will be a hit. DRM free music, able to trasfer it to any device, is an instant hit. Even Amazon is showing great signs of promise. iTunes DRM days may be numbered if they do not start offering DRM free music. As there are several DRM removal scenarios available for iTunes purchased music, and hopefully one coming for video media as well, the 5800 is poised to jump right in the face of Apple in terms of content management, and user experience. Not to mention the ability to run applications in the background, the already massive applications portfolio, and the ability to install anything without having to have it blessed by Apple. This phone and subsequent offerings will appeal to the seemingly millions that have no desire to purchase an iPhone. It has to be noted that not everyone wants one and one again, this phone and its follow ups will fill this void, and Nokia will most likely increase its market share.

Interesting times are coming.

No it wont. Do you really think this is going to challange itunes? Firstly so many people download music illegally this wont even make a dent. Secondly subscription services for music isnt the way forward. Otherwise something like napster would be top of the pile not this.
  • Reply 50 of 141
    kerrynkerryn Posts: 87member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

This 'Comes with music' thing is BS and will never take off. The fact is that subscrtion based music will never take off. If people really wanted that then Napster would be the kings not Itunes. Ncie try Nokia but it will take more than this to knock iphone of its perch.

Did you read the article? The comes with music service is a one year "all you can download" service with a apparently high monthly cap. Once your first year of service is up, you are allowed to keep your music. It is not subscription music that will expire once you stop renewing your subscription.

If it really works as described, this has the potential to radically shake up the music industry. I had subscription music for a while and liked it - though the Windows subscription format was buggy to say the least. Now add that ability to pick and choose the music you want and then keeping it. I see this as being a hit.
  • Reply 51 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Of course, remembering that most of the music available on iTunes isn't DRM free

Correct, but I just mean to point out that historically Apple isn't completely against the idea of DRM free music.
  • Reply 52 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChronoFlare View Post

Correct, but I just mean to point out that historically Apple isn't completely against the idea of DRM free music.

But someone is against the idea of Apple providing all their msuic DRM free.
  • Reply 53 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

But someone is against the idea of Apple providing all their msuic DRM free.

All the major record labels, sans EMI.
  • Reply 54 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I never liked Nokia, their phones are boring. Sony Ericsson have much better phones than Nokia.

Lets be honest here -- Sony Ericsson had good devices 2 years ago but has no chances to fight Nokia or Samsung with current portfolio
  • Reply 55 of 141
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Yawn thrown this is with the other iphone clones.
  • Reply 56 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

The single fact that you have to use a stylus (other than being unoriginal) makes this thing lame.

That's not correct. You don't have to use a stylus. Using a stylus is just one of possible input methods.
  • Reply 57 of 141
    Quote:

Right now it appears that the only real advantage the iPhone has going for it is the screen.

Hardly. I don't have to be an Apple fan to recognize that the iPhone works as a package and there is nothing close to it right now. But it truly shines through it's OS, not its screen.

I love competition and look forward to better things to come.

IMHO The closest thing to the iPhone OS will be Android and both platforms are well positioned for rapid improvements that can't be matched by old-school OS's like WM or certainly not Symbian.

Those will go by the way-side or down into the very low-margin budget phone territory.

Btw. I have used Nokia phones and always loved them for their reliability and great reception, but that was then and this is now. Better specs don't make a better multi-media device.

I have yet to see that Nokia can change their culture away to a more software-centric environment. So far, they appear to be slow on the uptake...
  • Reply 58 of 141
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    When Apple presented iPhone, they casted the "iPhone guy", showing the real iPhone experience on video. I watched it, and months later when I got to try the iPhone the experience was matching the video. I was amazed. Never before (for me) has a product presentation lived up to its acclaims before.

This Nokia phone sports a typical Nokia presentation. Flashy rotating phones with on screen mockup interface animation. Nokia have never managed to deliver a smooth user flow with their newer phones. It just never feels solid. I guess if they tried to get someone using the interface on video they wouldn't be able to match Apple's iPhone guy at all, by far. It's probably like running windows 3.11 without the correct graphics driver or something just like their other phones.. Or maybe they've finally learned? hehe.

(I actually like Nokia. But I think they screw up the day they designed their first color screen phone, and evern worse the day they went Symbian..)
  • Reply 59 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post

Hardly. I don't have to be an Apple fan to recognize that the iPhone works as a package and there is nothing close to it right now. But it truly shines through it's OS, not its screen.

If by complete package you mean, a device that is missing functions the a basic phone has, then yes the iPhone is a complete package
  • Reply 60 of 141
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post

IMHO The closest thing to the iPhone OS will be Android and both platforms are well positioned for rapid improvements that can't be matched by old-school OS's like WM or certainly not Symbian.

Those will go by the way-side or down into the very low-margin budget phone territory.

Btw. I have used Nokia phones and always loved them for their reliability and great reception, but that was then and this is now. Better specs don't make a better multi-media device.

I have yet to see that Nokia can change their culture away to a more software-centric environment. So far, they appear to be slow on the uptake...

The problem with Nokia is that they are trying their hands by trying to create single user interface on all their phones whether it is touch or buttons navigation based. The most expensive Nokia phone uses the same basic graphics, navigation menus, and icons as the cheapest one.