Jobs responds to outrage over MacBook's missing FireWire

Comments

• Reply 1221 of 1665
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

These hard drives you mention offer multiple ports: USB, FW, and eSATA. Their are no hard drives that are FW only. Their is a growing market for hard drives that are USB only and are cheaper for the same amount of storage.

Here is one easy to read example that shows that it's either just USB or it's a combo of USB/FW/eSATA.
  • Reply 1222 of 1665
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,863member
    Well, we have a MBP at home. If I bought this (just released) drive. Which port do you think I would use? I think I'd prefer that drive over a USB only one even if it cost a bit more.
  • Reply 1223 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avon B7 View Post

Well, we have a MBP at home. If I bought this (just released) drive. Which port do you think I would use? I think I'd prefer that drive over a USB only one even if it cost a bit more.

That is pretty slick looking.
  • Reply 1224 of 1665
    @ Avon B7,

Here is a 1.5TB external drive for $185 with only USB2.0 and eSATA. I haven't seen that before, but I wonder if this will be a greater trend in external drives, especially when USB3.0 comes out and if eSATA gains some traction.
  • Reply 1225 of 1665
    Quote:

The stats for the number of USB devices in use would absolutely dwarf these FW stats.

what would you do with USB stats anyway - surmise on the growth of the mouse and keyboard market?

the issue isn't the competition of FW with USB and anyone who tries to put the two in competition is clearly missing the point.

we obviously need USB2+ on our macs.... but the point is why apple removed the FW and didn't replace it with anything.
  • Reply 1226 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by otwayross View Post

we obviously need USB2+ on our macs.... but the point is why apple removed the FW and didn't replace it with anything.

UGH!
  • Reply 1227 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

As for college kids, this is just one of numerous articles that say the same thing.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1349.../highered.html

yes Mel, please read the comments below the article you post

and then provide some proof that students who want macs actually buy them

especially after they find out the price has increased significantly since last year...
  • Reply 1228 of 1665
    Quote:

especially after they find out the price has increased significantly since last year...

In what reality does a $1099 MB with a Combo Drive become a significant price increase when it dropped to $999 and now includes a Super Drive?
  • Reply 1229 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

UGH!

if the UGH is for USB2 then i totally agree \

but then until the end of 2009 what am i going to plug my logitech mouse into ??

on a side note, on the new macbook how does anyone add a USB mouse

+ a USB drive which requires two ports for power (such as the iomegas)?

does one have to carry a usb hub permanently?
  • Reply 1230 of 1665
    Quote:

In what reality does a $1099 MB with a Combo Drive become a significant price increase when it dropped to $999 and now includes a Super Drive?

good call - and they get FW !

lucky apple didn't remove the old models

....or they could have just dropped the price and not updated \
  • Reply 1231 of 1665
    Quote:

if the UGH is for USB2 then i totally agree \

but then until the end of 2009 what am i going to plug my logitech mouse into ??

on a side note, on the new macbook how does anyone add a USB mouse

+ a USB drive which requires two ports for power (such as the iomegas)?

does one have to carry a usb hub permanently?

What if you have 3 or 4 or 5 USB accessories to plug in? I don't see many people using a more than 2 USB ports or using external mice on a notebook. Of course, that is anecdotal so the reality of the situation could be very different, but I figure Apple has done their homework on this to make their machine usable for their primary demographics.

As for the Omega, I have seen plenty of external 2.5" drives that have 2 USB ports and none of them have needed more than one USB plug for power on a modern Mac. Perhaps that 2nd port is for underpowered USB ports on lesser PCs or perhaps one should get an external 2.5" HDD that requires more than 500mA to run.

Quote:

good call - and they get FW !

lucky apple didn't remove the old models

....or they could have just dropped the price and not updated \

It is a good call if you want FW and a cheap 13" Mac notebook. But I think you are being sarcastic. To quote a previous post from Melgross to you...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But, by complaining about the MB, you show that you DON'T need more POWERFUL technology, you just want something newer, and cooler.

I expect the current $999 MB will remain for 2 update cycles before being retired to the refurbished section. By then I would think Apple will have refined the milling operation enough to bring back the $1099 MB. Or they could just drop it entirely. The previous generation of MBs only had 2 CPU options, but had 3 models, because one was black. I think once the newness of the MB case design wears off and it has run the gamut, they should consider iPod Nano colours. Or perhaps they could do a PRODUCT (RED) option with maxed out HDD and RAM for a higher price, but I doubt it.
  • Reply 1232 of 1665
    Quote:

What if you have 3 or 4 or 5 USB accessories to plug in? I don't see many people using a more than 2 USB ports or using external mice on a notebook. Of course, that is anecdotal so the reality of the situation could be very different, but I figure Apple has done their homework on this to make their machine usable for their primary demographics.

As for the Omega, I have seen plenty of external 2.5" drives that have 2 USB ports and none of them have needed more than one USB plug for power on a modern Mac. Perhaps that 2nd port is for underpowered USB ports on lesser PCs or perhaps one should get an external 2.5" HDD that requires more than 500mA to run.

It is a good call if you want FW and a cheap 13" Mac notebook. But I think you are being sarcastic. To quote a previous post from Melgross to you...

not at all - that was actually a question from a friend with a 17" macbook pro

who often uses all 3 ports for his external iOmega 2.5" drive plus mouse... if he didn't have the 3 ports he'd use his FW port on the drive.

anyway regarding my own needs i already responded to Mel a number of times (did you see them?) saying that i only wanted the standard MB problems fixed and due to my home MP have no need for a more powerful machine - just the same with the heat problems and flickering screen fixed (which weren't fixed in the latest plastic books). Given that I bought mine in 2006 a CPU upgrade shouldn't be hard for Apple to throw in too...
  • Reply 1233 of 1665
    Quote:

who often uses all 3 ports for his external iOmega 2.5" drive plus mouse... if he didn't have the 3 ports he'd use his FW port on the drive..

My biggest issue with the new MB design isn't the lack of FW, but the loss of the 3rd I/O port. I was using my FW400 and both USB ports, even though the FW400 was such a PITA for TM backups. I am actually considering dropping $20 on a USB squid hub, which is easy to pack, so I do understand that loss. But I am certain I am more of a power user than the average MB customer so I don't begrudge Apple.
  • Reply 1234 of 1665
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Those stats also tell me that most PCs shipped with Firewire have never had a FW device plugged into them.

Very good point:

47M computers shipped with FW but only 20M devices that use FW shipped.
  • Reply 1235 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Very good point:

47M computers shipped with FW but only 20M devices that use FW shipped.

Any info on how USB accessories shipped?
  • Reply 1236 of 1665
    Quote:

These hard drives you mention offer multiple ports: USB, FW, and eSATA. Their are no hard drives that are FW only. Their is a growing market for hard drives that are USB only and are cheaper for the same amount of storage.

My little LaCie is FW only. Oddly it has a USB dongle thingy for power...something I never understood. I guess it's for 4 pin FW or something.
  • Reply 1237 of 1665
    Quote:

Any info on how USB accessories shipped?

I can't even figure out how many camcorders shipped. Some things are easy to find. Others require more google-fu than I possess. I am only a nidan in google-fu.
  • Reply 1238 of 1665
    Quote:

PC USB version (250 GB) $109

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...648&CatId=2420

PC USB version (320 GB in red) $139

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...653&CatId=2420

PC USB version (500 GB) $179

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...654&CatId=2424

Mac FW version (250 GB) $149

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=4183650

Mmmm...$40 isn't much but it IS $10 more for a smaller drive.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1357...?lsrc=rss_main

"We tested the drive using FireWire 800, USB 2.0, and FireWire 400 on a MacPro. In our Copy 1GB test, the drive took 41 seconds on average with the FireWire 800 connection, 51 seconds for the FireWire 400 and 45 seconds with the USB 2.0. Compared with other drives we've tested, the times are only slightly slower than desktop drives but marginally faster than competing portable drives.

The duplicate test results were even more impressive. It only took 50 seconds to duplicate a 1GB file with the FireWire 800; 1 minute, 16 sixteen seconds with the FireWire 400; and 1 minute, 31 seconds with the USB 2.0 connection. These times, along with the low memory Photoshop test results (FireWire 800, 1 minute, 38 seconds; FireWire 400, 1 minute and 45 seconds; and USB 2.0, 1 minute, 48 seconds) are not only faster than most portable drives we've seen, but comparable to many larger desktop drives."

Give me the 70GB extra space for $10 less or double the space for $30 more. The FW400 connection is not much faster (6 sec slower on one test, 15 sec faster on the second and 3 seconds faster on the third) considering I do a lot more copies than duplicates.

Heck, even for FW800 the speed difference isn't all that. 41 seconds FW800 vs 45 seconds USB2 on a 1 GB copy?

Real world use:

"AutoGK 2.45

Here we have some real world testing. We ran AutoGK 2.45 to transcode a 2-1/2 hour DVD into an avi with 100% quality.

I was happy with the times I saw, when using the FreeAgent Go as the target drive the Asus G2S X1 was able to transcode a 2-1/2 hour movie from DVD to AVI in 1 hour, 22 minutes and 35 Seconds, this is just over 2 minutes slower than using the local drive and more than acceptable on the hardware in use."

"Virtual Machines:

To add some fun items in I ran two VMs that I commonly run off of the FreeAgent GO. One is a Vista Ultimate x86 VM and the other is a Mandriva Linux VM.

Even with these running at the same time there was no performance impact on file transfer, encryption/decryption, Transcoding, or even raw throughput, very impressive indeed.

Below are screen shots of raw through put as measured by Sandra 2009 and Everest with 2 VMs running."

http://www.planetx64.com/index.php?o...1&limitstart=4

2 minutes slower vs the internal drive I can live with. That the FW400 might only be 1 minute and 30 seconds slower I don't really care given I have an extra 70GBs to use.

Running VMs is the other thing I do with external drives other than backup or as a place to stick my large video files.
  • Reply 1239 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I can't even figure out how many camcorders shipped. Some things are easy to find. Others require more google-fu than I possess. I am only a nidan in google-fu.

? Over 2B USB enabled devices shipped in 2006

? Check out the graphs under "Ubiquitous USB"
  • Reply 1240 of 1665
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,578member
    Quote:

And the stats for the number of PCs absolutely dwarfs Mac stats. It's a fact but I wouldn't read too much into it.

I would, because it matters greatly.

Like it or not, 95% of the people around the world do not use a Mac, and most third party equipment is therefore sold to them.

As many fewer FW ports are sold on those vast numbers, the fort is mostly held by Apple, less so by Sony, and even less so by Hp.

When they see Apple discontinue FW on their most popular model, they will wonder more than ever if it pays to continue putting them on the few of their own models that do have them. They then could save some money, which for most PC manufacturers is the main point of their existence.

As they also look around, and see that the most popular use for FW is disappearing (inexpensive camcorders), that will enhance their feeling that FW is a waste for them.

As that happens, those camcorder manufacturers will speed up what they have already been doing, which is to move off tape, and onto flash, or HDD recording, which has no need for FW.

A downward spiral. It's already happening. The trend will accelerate.

The fact that some equipment will continue to have FW in some form doesn't really matter. If this equipment is high end, as is sometimes being pointed out, it simply justifies what I, and others are saying, which is, that the MB won't need FW, but for a while, at least, the pro machines will.

While I think Apple rushed a bit, by the end of next year, FW will have little reason for existing on cheap computers, no matter who makes them.