Jobs responds to outrage over MacBook's missing FireWire

Comments

• Reply 1281 of 1665
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,576member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Its consumer retail sales. The actual figure is 8.2 percent.

Where did you get that number?

Retail is 21%. Total percentage is 9.5%. That's in the USA.
  • Reply 1282 of 1665
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avon B7 View Post

That reminds me. Some posts back I enquired on how you were reaching the other TVs in your house from your Media Centre.

Actually, I only have my HTPC hooked to my projector at the moment. Well, I have an old XBox as well but I never modded that. However, control over ethernet is easy.
  • Reply 1283 of 1665
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I can't see any success for that product in business (unless it's graphics related) because of its high price when compared to competitors.

Well Mel pointed out earlier that business does not necessarily go for the cheapest solution. Quality counts in the full life of a product.
  • Reply 1284 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Where did you get that number?

Retail is 21%. Total percentage is 9.5%. That's in the USA.

That's sales, 8.2% is usage.

http://www.maclife.com/sites/default...s_increased_82
  • Reply 1285 of 1665
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Are you saying that 1.3% of those are Macs being sold aren't being used? That doesn't make sense. The stats you give are from internet usage from 40k difference websites. The 9.5% Gartner gives is more accurate and useful evaluation based on on unit sales.
  • Reply 1286 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are you saying that 1.3% of those are Macs being sold aren't being used? That doesn't make sense. The stats you give are from internet usage from 40k difference websites. The 9.5% Gartner gives is more accurate and useful evaluation based on on unit sales.

No, I'm saying that people don't buy a new Mac every financial quarter. That 9.5% means percentage of new Apple computers bought. The 8.2% is the percentage of Mac OS X machines in service.
  • Reply 1287 of 1665
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Well Mel pointed out earlier that business does not necessarily go for the cheapest solution. Quality counts in the full life of a product.

However price, even if it isn't the cheapest option, is a deciding factor. The vast amount of monitors for business use are not even 24 inch screens so that particular 24 inch Apple model is only appealing to a fragment of the market from the outset.

Businesses which require good quality visual output might be attracted to that model or might go over its head into the very high end market.

I suspect that Dell is rubbing its hands, happy to see Apple not charging into its monitor business. I hear that Dell has some very good quality 24 inch models at very good prices.
  • Reply 1288 of 1665
    Quote:

However price, even if it isn't the cheapest option, is a deciding factor. The vast amount of monitors for business use are not even 24 inch screens so that particular 24 inch Apple model is only appealing to a fragment of the market from the outset.

Most every product plays to a fragmented market in one way or another. The goal is to find a profitable fragment. Apple has been able to be extremely profitable without the need to sell to everyone.
  • Reply 1289 of 1665
    Quote:

I suspect that Dell is rubbing its hands, happy to see Apple not charging into its monitor business. I hear that Dell has some very good quality 24 inch models at very good prices.

I'm not sure Dell has very much to be happy about at this point. But I guess they have to take every small victory they can.
  • Reply 1290 of 1665
    Quote:

The article says marketshare, which is sales, not usage. The estimates as to usage, is that there are more Macs in use than marketshare would indicate. Total marketshare in the USA, according to the most recent numbers by IDC, I believe, is the 9.5% number.
  • Reply 1291 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Most every product plays to a fragmented market in one way or another.

When you said 'this is for business' I took it to mean business in general.

Quote:

The goal is to find a profitable fragment. Apple has been able to be extremely profitable without the need to sell to everyone.

Which makes the missing firewire ports harder to swallow.
  • Reply 1292 of 1665
    Quote:

Businesses which require good quality visual output might be attracted to that model or might go over its head into the very high end market.

Dell is so very happy about their position right now that they are telling their employees to take a vacation?without pay. Meanwhile, Apple has hired 11,000 more people this year.

Dell's lowball pricing has cost them dearly. It's only their much more expensive business lines, and services that keeps them in business.

Why should Apple try to operate that way?

Dell isn't making money selling its low priced models, so the need to make money other ways. This is one of them:

http://consumerist.com/tag/guilty/?i...siness-conduct

This is how they worked before, and how it's changing. You will see their problem. Too often they can't upsell, the results aren't pretty, so they are trying to change that, and prevent the customer from buying the cheapest, stripped down models they offer on sale so often.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2280994,00.asp
  • Reply 1293 of 1665
    Quote:

Dell is so very happy about their position right now that they are telling their employees to take a vacation?without pay. Meanwhile, Apple has hired 11,000 more people this year.

Dell's lowball pricing has cost them dearly. It's only their much more expensive business lines, and services that keeps them in business.

Why should Apple try to operate that way?

Dell isn't making money selling its low priced models, so the need to make money other ways. This is one of them:

http://consumerist.com/tag/guilty/?i...siness-conduct

This is how they worked before, and how it's changing. You will see their problem. Too often they can't upsell, the results aren't pretty, so they are trying to change that, and prevent the customer from buying the cheapest, stripped down models they offer on sale so often.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2280994,00.asp

What does that have to do with companies purchasing Dell monitors? One thing are Dell's business practices in general and another is 'business' (the companies that buy Dell products). I've heard many positive comments about Dell's 24 inch monitors. I don't think many business will hold off buying at great prices because they want Dell to be more profitable.

Your first link points to a page where the quotes refer to consumers.
  • Reply 1294 of 1665
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

The article says marketshare, which is sales, not usage. The estimates as to usage, is that there are more Macs in use than marketshare would indicate. Total marketshare in the USA, according to the most recent numbers by IDC, I believe, is the 9.5% number.

Read the computer world article its based on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by excerpt for computerword

In September, Apple's operating system ran on 8.2% of the computers that accessed the 40,000 sites monitored by Net Applications for clients, the company's data showed. The Mac's share of the operating system market was up over August's by nearly four-tenths of a percentage point, the biggest one-month gain since May.

• Reply 1295 of 1665
    Quote:

What does that have to do with companies purchasing Dell monitors? One thing are Dell's business practices in general and another is 'business' (the companies that buy Dell products). I've heard many positive comments about Dell's 24 inch monitors. I don't think many business will hold off buying at great prices because they want Dell to be more profitable.

Your first link points to a page where the quotes refer to consumers.

It's part of the overall problems Dell is having. Many small businesses buy their computers the way consumers do.

Monitors are but a small part of their business, as it is with Apple.

Dell makes some good monitors, and some bad ones. Nothing to talk about there.
  • Reply 1296 of 1665
    Quote:

Read the computer world article its based on.

There is good deal of controversy over the numbers they put out (Net Applications, that is).

Most think that their absolute numbers are not accurate, but that the trends they show, are. No one except them, know which sites they use, or how they choose them, If several big ones are oriented towards PC users, that will sway the numbers. We just don't know. They have been criticized on this many times. It's been said that they should give a listing of the sites they use, but they won't, as it's proprietary information.
  • Reply 1297 of 1665
    Quote:

It's been said that they should give a listing of the sites they use, but they won't, as it's proprietary information.

I don't know anything about how this market operates but wouldn't that leave their stats wide open to manipulation? Surely interested parties would try to find ways to have an influence on the final results if they knew which sites to target. Do other companies publish their sample data details?
  • Reply 1298 of 1665
    Quote:

I don't know anything about how this market operates but wouldn't that leave their stats wide open to manipulation? Surely interested parties would try to find ways to have an influence on the final results if they knew which sites to target. Do other companies publish their sample data details?

It's possible. But as it is, no one knows how they decide. They should at least explain that.

Some companies publish their sample data in an extract. It depends on what it is.

All we do know is that they have consistantly under reported the numbers. It's known the 9.5% of computers sold in the USA are Macs.

They don't even explain where their samples are located. Are a large number out of the USA? are they all English sites, or are some in other languages? How many are related to large business, government, entertainment, etc?

Is this 8.2% actually worldwide numbers?

To many unknowns.

So, what does this really mean?

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10#

You'll notice that the Geographic Filter only works when you pay for the report.
  • Reply 1299 of 1665
    I went down to a big retailer (FNAC) this week to see if they had the new Seagate external drives. While I was there I checked the laptops and desktops for firewire ports.

Of 23 laptops on display, 21 had firewire ports. Of the 13 desktops on display, all of them had firewire ports. These figures do not include Macs as they are in an Appleshop within the store and separated from the rest of the PCs and we already know which macs have firewire.
  • Reply 1300 of 1665
    You mean had firewire.