Apple contributes $100,000 to fight California's No on 8 battle

Comments

• Reply 1061 of 1351
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Where have you been? It's 11/5/2008, "the black man" is in charge of the whole d2mn country... And, apparently, the "white man" couldn't stop "the black man" from "getting a job, owning a home, opportunity at a good education, decent healthcare" because now he's POTUS.

The President doesn't control who gets a job, who buys a home. The president wants to help people who cannot afford a good education get one. People who cannot afford healthcare, afford it.
  • Reply 1062 of 1351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The President doesn't control who gets a job, who buys a home. The president wants to help people who cannot afford a good education get one. People who cannot afford healthcare, afford it.

But he does own a home, has a great job, got a great education, good health care and so does his wife - also black.

EDIT: And so do the scores of blacks that I work with - a % that is far greater than the average US % I might add...

EDIT 2: If you want to argue the system really, really sucks for poor people I'll back ya on that one but not this one...
  • Reply 1063 of 1351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Just because gay marriage is not allowed it doesn't mean that gays are being picked on. Show me in the Constitution where it says that gays have a "right" to re-define marriage. I love the way you put this, because the majority voted not to allow gay marriage then that is an example of tyranny. The victors are tyrannical because you don't agree with their position on the issue.

It appears you are unfamiliar with the Constitution. Give it another read, won't you?
  • Reply 1064 of 1351
    Quote:

But he does own a home, has a great job, got a great education, good health care and so does his wife - also black.

Are you working with the, "he did it so everyone should" theory.

There are many factors that play into why people end up where they are. But its well known people from higher income families have a greater chance of success in life than those from lower income families.

Quote:

EDIT: And so do the scores of blacks that I work with - a % that is far greater than the average US % I might add...

Where have you seen this stat.

Stats I've seen have shown percentage wise Asians have the highest number of college graduates, Whites have the second highest, Blacks the third, then Hispanics.

By raw number whites have more college graduates than everyone else combined.
  • Reply 1065 of 1351
    Quote:

Are you working with the, "he did it so everyone should" theory.

There are many factors that play into why people end up where they are. But its well known people from higher income families have a greater chance of success in life than those from lower income families.

Where have you seen this stat.

Stats I've seen have shown percentage wise Asians have the highest number of college graduates, Whites have the second highest, Blacks the third, then Hispanics.

By raw number whites have more college graduates than everyone else combined.

I didn't say "should" - I said "could". I grew up in an area where there were plenty of whites unable to do all the things you listed. Who's out to get them? Is that racism as well or does the system just flat out suck for poor people? No one race has a monopoly on poor people - to declare as much is, well, racist and ignorant.

Where have I see this stat? What are you talking about? The US population is 13.4% (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogra..._United_States) and the %'s of blacks in my office is significantly higher than that (we have just about 100 people and we've got either 23 or 24 blacks).

EDIT: BTW - I come from a low income family in a small @ss town and there wasn't a single scholarship that I could apply for at my university because I was a white male. My University has well over 50k students so don't say it's because it was small...
  • Reply 1066 of 1351
    Quote:

I didn't say "should" - I said "could". I grew up in an area where there were plenty of whites unable to do all the things you listed. Who's out to get them?

I come from a low income family in a small @ss town and there wasn't a single scholarship that I could apply for at my university because I was a white male. My University has well over 50k students so don't say it's because it was small...

The top 10% of the wealthy in the US is overwhelmingly dominated by white males.

If they can do it.........

Quote:

Where have I see this stat? What are you talking about? The US population is 13.4% (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogra..._United_States) and the %'s of blacks in my office is significantly higher than that (we have just about 100 people and we've got either 23 or 24 blacks).

Your office isn't representative of the US as a whole.
  • Reply 1067 of 1351
    Quote:

The top 10% of the wealthy in the US is overwhelmingly dominated by white males.

They also pay most of the taxes.
  • Reply 1068 of 1351
    Quote:

If they can do it.........

Your office isn't representative of the US as a whole.

The 7 step scientific method - I proved your theory false - try new theory...

I'm not talking about the top 10%, I'm talking about being successful. If you think you have to be in the top 10% to be successful then you really need to lower your standards. I know I'll never be in the top 10% and I don't really care but I still strive to be successful and your implication that because I'm white makes it easier for me to be successful is nothing short of ignorant and insulting. I suppose you missed the point where I said I didn't get a single dime of scholarship money to go to school and I came from a low income family? How about you look at the scholarships available at big name universities and get back to me on that...
  • Reply 1069 of 1351
    Quote:

They also pay most of the taxes.

Because they have most of the money.
  • Reply 1070 of 1351
    Quote:

What good is it to have an advanced medical system if a sizable portion of the population have no access to it?

You are entitled to anything that you can pay for, or do for yourself. You are not entitled to have everyone else pay for it.

Tell ya what you should do. Go around to your neighbors and tell then you need an operation, but you don't have the money. Then ask them if they'll give you some money to pay for it. I think you already know what the answer will be.
  • Reply 1071 of 1351
    Quote:

I'm not talking about the top 10%, I'm talking about being successful. If you think you have to be in the top 10% to be successful then you really need to lower your standards. I know I'll never be in the top 10% and I don't really care but I still strive to be successful and your implication that because I'm white makes it easier for me to be successful is nothing short of ignorant and insulting. I suppose you missed the point where I said I didn't get a single dime of scholarship money to go to school and I came from a low income family? How about you look at the scholarships available at big name universities and get back to me on that...

I'm not saying you have to be in the top 10% to be successful.

My point is that you cannot look at the success of someone of a certain ethnic group and say everyone in that ethnic group should be able to attain the same degree of success. Everyone's situations are different.
  • Reply 1072 of 1351
    Quote:

Because they have most of the money.

No, because they have the highest incomes. Then there's the bottom 40% that pay no taxes at all. Who do you think deserves a tax break? Before you answer that one, tell me when the last was that a poor man gave you a job.
  • Reply 1073 of 1351
    Quote:

You are entitled to anything that you can pay for, or do for yourself. You are not entitled to have everyone else pay for it.

I find this short sighted. Collectively we are all better off if we have a healthy and productive population. What does it benefit the society as a whole to have a large group of sick people.

Not to mention that its simply basic humanity to care about the well being of others.
  • Reply 1074 of 1351
    Quote:

I'm not saying you have to be in the top 10% to be successful.

My point is that you cannot look at the success of someone of a certain ethnic group and say everyone in that ethnic group should be able to attain the same degree of success. Everyone's situations are different.

So why then did you see I was white and say "The top 10% of the wealthy in the US is overwhelmingly dominated by white males. If they can do it........."

Seems to me like you're saying since I'm white I should be able to attain the same degree of success... Unless your double ellipsis was meant to mean something else...
  • Reply 1075 of 1351
    Quote:

No, because they have the highest incomes. Then there's the bottom 40% that pay no taxes at all. Who do you think deserves a tax break? Before you answer that one, tell me when the last was that a poor man gave you a job.

There is an assumption that just because rich people get to keep more money they will share it. This has never proven to be true. Their is no place on this planet that trickle down economics has worked, especially not in America.

Over the past 4 years our economy grew by 800 billion dollars. The top 10% got over 600 billion of that 800 billion. The bottom 90% got less than 200 billion of that 800 billion.

Looking at our current economic condition, when does the trickle down happen?
  • Reply 1076 of 1351
    Quote:

So why then did you see I was white and say "The top 10% of the wealthy in the US is overwhelmingly dominated by white males. If they can do it........."

Seems to me like you're saying since I'm white I should be able to attain the same degree of success... Unless your double ellipsis was meant to mean something else...

It was a counter point to what you were saying about your black coworkers.
  • Reply 1077 of 1351
    Quote:

Not to mention that its simply basic humanity to care about the well being of others.

I guess that means you don't agree with Darwin then?
  • Reply 1078 of 1351
    Quote:

It was a counter point to what you were saying about your black coworkers.

All I said was that race has nothing to do with your ability to succeed and gave my anecdotal evidence to show that despite your earlier claim that people are keeping black people from being successful that isn't the case.
  • Reply 1079 of 1351
    Quote:

I guess that means you don't agree with Darwin then?

Passing on generational wealth and social upward mobility has nothing to do with darwinism.

If we competed by hunting for food and physical prowess for procreation. The social hierarchy would be completely different than what it is now.

Quote:

All I said was that race has nothing to do with your ability to succeed and gave my anecdotal evidence to show that despite your earlier claim that people are keeping black people from being successful that isn't the case.

If you understand the history of this country, I would ask you exactly at what point did black people as a group have equal chance at success as whites as a group. Black people in the US were not even officially recognized as full human being under the law until 1965. Seeing as Europeans began colonizing this continent in 1513, that's quite a head start.
  • Reply 1080 of 1351
    Quote:

Passing on generational wealth and social upward mobility has nothing to do with darwinism.

If we competed by hunting for food and physical prowess for procreation. The social hierarchy would be completely different than what it is now.

If you understand the history of this country, I would ask you exactly at what point did black people as a group have equal chance at success as whites as a group. Black people in the US were not even officially recognized as full human being under the law until 1965. Seeing as Europeans began colonizing this continent in 1513, that's quite a head start.

That wasn't the part I was quoting - I was talking about where you said it's only natural to care about your fellow man.

Oh I know the history of this country and I know it's taken a long time for us to get to a point but when I see literally billions of dollars thrown at minorities just to try to get them to go to college and when the federal gov't frowns upon any company that doesn't score high marks for diversity (and by frown I mean they will cut your funding if you don't get more minorities) I think we've reached a point where if you don't succeed it has nothing to do with race. It could very well have everything to do with growing up poor and just not having the ability to go to college but that's not a minority issue - as I said being poor has nothing to do with race either. I think we've grown up to the point where our major problem is class - not race and to confuse the two is insulting to every race of people in this country who don't fit your stereotypical "poor" or "rich" person.