iPhone tops business rankings, steals Nokia market share

Comments

• Reply 81 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

Some of what you say is true. Nokia didn't have to compete in the US market really because they made a TON of money while almost completely ignoring the US market. Not bad. Now they have decided to compete in this market and that requires them to change and they are in the process. Developers hated Symbian because of the costs involved, the somewhat static way Nokia operated, but now that it is open source, the developers will come and be happy with the new environment. If anything, Nokia has the cash to throw at the problem to fix. You act as though only Apple is able to come up with software ideas. Very myopic.

Apple have an interesting position.

They have a unique software platform that originated in workstation-class computers, Which they have quickly adapted to mobile. It's not just an OS. It's a best-in-class software development environment, a tradition of user-interface design and a technology which makes great use of the GPU. All these factors combine to create something unique.

Developers can write an app on the iPhone. Have the SDK solve most of the problems, and have the GPU do all the rendering. It is awesome. And Apple pay you 75% of the revenue when you sell it on their store.

Apple has 20 odd billion USD in the bank and zero debt. Enough to bail-out a medium-sized bank.

Nokia is the mobile market leader in terms of sales and units. Nokia has a platform which originated in handheld computers. Their adoption of open-source is bizarre. Money attracts developers, not fixing someone else's OS.

If this wasn't bad enough, suddenly any company with zero cash can adopt Android and technically leapfrog over Nokia.

Apple is not alone in being able to think-up new software ideas. But is alone in having a platform like this. Google is a credible second. MS and Nokia are looking very weak in comparison.

Now considering at these facts, please, tell me how I am mis-understanding this situation. Precisely what witchcraft can Nokia perform to put itself back at number one?

C.

(My Finnish joke was clearly wasted)
  • Reply 82 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Apple have an interesting position.

They have a unique software platform that originated in workstation-class computers, Which they have quickly adapted to mobile. It's not just an OS. It's a best-in-class software development environment, a tradition of user-interface design and a technology which makes great use of the GPU. All these factors combine to create something unique.

Developers can write an app on the iPhone. Have the SDK solve most of the problems, and have the GPU do all the rendering. It is awesome. And Apple pay you 75% of the revenue when you sell it on their store.

Apple has 20 odd billion USD in the bank and zero debt. Enough to bail-out a medium-sized bank.

Nokia is the mobile market leader in terms of sales and units. Nokia has a platform which originated in handheld computers. Their adoption of open-source is bizarre. Money attracts developers, not fixing someone else's OS.

If this wasn't bad enough, suddenly any company with zero cash can adopt Android and technically leapfrog over Nokia.

Apple is not alone in being able to think-up new software ideas. But is alone in having a platform like this. Google is a credible second. MS and Nokia are looking very weak in comparison.

Now considering at these facts, please, tell me how I am mis-understanding this situation. Precisely what witchcraft can Nokia perform to put itself back at number one?

C.

(My Finnish joke was clearly wasted)

If you were attempting to make a joke at my expense because you thought I am Finnish, then yes it was wasted and you made a major assumption. The same can be said about Nokia. Now because Apple is in a profitable position the past seems to be forgotten. Good thing Microsoft came along and saved them. In this case it was money that clogged the drain. The same money that Nokia has to throw at this problem. If you really think that Nokia will not use its considerable muscle and financial resources to compete, then you might as well stand in line with the rest of these rabid kool-aid drinkers. However, I do not see you in that light. If anything, you might be way over biased that Nokia will fail but within a few weeks, I am sure they will release their one phone you know about and one you don't and it will have people talking for sure.
  • Reply 83 of 132
    Quote:

If you really think that Nokia will not use its considerable muscle and financial resources to compete, then you might as well stand in line with the rest of these rabid kool-aid drinkers. However, I do not see you in that light. If anything, you might be way over biased that Nokia will fail but within a few weeks, I am sure they will release their one phone you know about and one you don't and it will have people talking for sure.

There are people other than me looking at this situation and are shocked by the situation that Nokia finds itself in. It has nothing to do with "rabidity", "bias", or "kool aid". This market is about technology and rational business decisions.

We know what Apple is doing. We know what Google is doing. We know what Microsoft is ..er.. not doing.

Please describe exactly what it is you think Nokia will do to respond. How will Nokia use its muscle and resources to compete.

This is not a problem Nokia can solve through marketing, or leveraging its customer base. Nokia needs a comprehensive technical solution at least as credible as Android.

Making Symbian Open Source is not a credible response.

Starting a Linux-based OS *is* a credible response but it is 3 years too late and may well drive away more Symbian developers than they hoped to attract with the open source initiative.

C.
  • Reply 84 of 132
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

Nokia, the market leader, is ramping up to compete with a company that entered the Mobile market last year. That's a mighty impressive statement.

No it isn't, it is a standard business practise, you adjust to your surroundings.

Quote:

Fact is, the mobile market is in a phase of transition. It's moving from a market that is all about hardware, to being all about software. And transitions bring change.

Fact is, the iPhone is a failure outside of the USA, there has been very few sales, and Apple doesn't understand the market. And if you recall the statement Apple made the other day, they will be raising the price of their devices in Europe, bet the sales get even better because of that.

Quote:

Nokia have no one to blame but themselves. They could have invested in a linux core 3 or 4 years ago. They could have been there before Google or Apple. It's a bit late to start now.

You do realise that Nokia has been selling a Linux based device for over three years?

Quote:

They may be the biggest mobile vendor, but in terms of software, they are Finnish.

ha ha ha ha ha you are so funny. But you do know that Symbian (by the way, it powers only a few of their phone models) is a British company?
  • Reply 85 of 132
    Quote:

They didn't quickly adapt it, they said they had been working on the phone for years

Quote:

You made a slight mistake there, Developers can write an apple approve ap on the iPhone.

Quote:

So?

Quote:

Well technically they are still number one, and will remain in that position for quite a while. You seem to forget Apple is selling a single device (with restricted functionality), at an expensive price, and for which their providers are charging a massive monthly cost for, that is enough to keep themselves there.

Plus, and you don't seem to understand how businesses work, they will be working internally on devices now, and unlike Apple, the will develop devices for different markets as they have a bit more knowledge in this area.
  • Reply 86 of 132
    Quote:

What I find funny is how the Appleistas forget that Apple was one Microsoft investment away from the toilet. They were circling the drain for years and Microsoft came in and put in the plug. Funny how times change and memories go blank.

Do your homework before commenting.

Apple was engaged in a number of ongoing patent and software legal disputes with Microsoft and the $150M investment from MS was part of a settlement that benefitted both companies. Microsoft agreed to continued making Office for at least 5 more years and invest $150M in Apple, and Apple agreed to license some of their technology to MS and make IE the default Mac browser. It was a smart move on Apple's part, simultaneously getting cash and letting go of some expensive legal battles at a time when they were in a tough situation financially.

Microsoft's money sure didn't hurt, but it's a stretch to say MS saved Apple.
  • Reply 87 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

ha ha ha ha ha you are so funny. But you do know that Symbian (by the way, it powers only a few of their phone models) is a British company?

Sure, Symbian, is the OS from the old Psion organizer.

C.
  • Reply 88 of 132
    Quote:

Well technically they are still number one, and will remain in that position for quite a while.

I have said that. Nokia are number one in terms of sales and units I think. Nokia make millions of low priced handsets and have the low-end market sewn up. I am sure they will be selling that stuff for years and years. But the low end is a commodity business. The top end is where the profits are.

And the top end of the market is undergoing a dramatic about-turn.

Apple is indeed a single product sole vendor. But it's not just Apple. The Android platform is the second part of the double-whammy. Apple are going after a single wedge of market with a single device. Google are looking to clean up the leftovers.

Can someone please say what technical response Nokia can produce to counter this?

C.
  • Reply 89 of 132
    Quote:

Can someone please say what technical response Nokia can produce to counter this?

Like I said, maybe you should read some more.

Nokia has already mentioned what they intend doing with S60, and their other mobile OS
  • Reply 90 of 132
    Quote:

Like I said, maybe you should read some more.

Nokia has already mentioned what they intend doing with S60, and their other mobile OS

I have said the same thing for the last few post but he does not want to get it, so make this all go away, he is correct. Nokia is going to have a fire sale. All phones half off, they concede that Apple is the Jesus Phone and there is no need for them to EVEN try to complete because Carniphage knows better than Nokia what Nokia will do.

I guess all those high end N95, N96, N81, N85, E90, E66, E71, series phones were all flash in the pan and combined sales don't even come closer to Apple right?

I guess the fact that Symbian will be open source and developers are looking forward to this makes no difference. Or the fact that Nokia has some nice unannounced phones coming means nothing as well. Better have a board meeting and tell the Nokia guys that people with more in the know have spoken and the news does not look good.
  • Reply 91 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Do your homework before commenting.

Apple was engaged in a number of ongoing patent and software legal disputes with Microsoft and the $150M investment from MS was part of a settlement that benefitted both companies. Microsoft agreed to continued making Office for at least 5 more years and invest $150M in Apple, and Apple agreed to license some of their technology to MS and make IE the default Mac browser. It was a smart move on Apple's part, simultaneously getting cash and letting go of some expensive legal battles at a time when they were in a tough situation financially.

Microsoft's money sure didn't hurt, but it's a stretch to say MS saved Apple.

So all of that would have taken place without a penny from Microsoft? Apple would have remained in biz? Is this what you are saying?
  • Reply 92 of 132
    Quote:

I guess the fact that Symbian will be open source and developers are looking forward to this makes no difference.

I really don't understand how this improves anything.

Application developers want to make cash, not repair the OS for free.

Are 3rd parties going to branch the OS?

Please explain.

Quote:

Or the fact that Nokia has some nice unannounced phones coming means nothing as well. Better have a board meeting and tell the Nokia guys that people with more in the know have spoken and the news does not look good.

I think they have had that board meeting.

http://www.nokia.com/A4136001?newsid=1266189

Nokia can make nice devices. But so can HTC and so can Apple. That's not the problem. The problem is the software platform. Nokia's software platform suddenly looks very tired.

It's not just me saying this. Because its really obvious. Show a customer the N96 and then show them G1. See what happens.

This is an astonishing situation where the world leader in a field, could find itself with a collapsing market share.

I really do hope that Nokia have some sort of super secret black-ops OS waiting in the wings. It will be a good thing for the mobile market. Competition is good (TM)

But I am not holding my breath.

C.
  • Reply 93 of 132
    Quote:

It's not just me saying this. Because its really obvious. Show a customer the N96 and then show them G1. See what happens.

Yes it will go well, here is a N96, available in a lot of countries, here is a G1, available in the USA.

Quote:

I really do hope that Nokia have some sort of super secret black-ops OS waiting in the wings. It will be a good thing for the mobile market. Competition is good (TM)

But I am not holding my breath.

Go read about Maemo 5, and then think of applications of this OS outside the internet tablet market.
  • Reply 94 of 132
    Quote:

Go read about Maemo 5, and then think of applications of this OS outside the internet tablet market.

Genuine thanks for the answer.

I was just looking at this video.

http://www.atmasphere.net/wp/archive...a-n95-and-n800

A switch of platform away from Symbian and to the Maemo linux sounds like a solution.

But there is some confusion here. How can they make such a transition without angering the bitter-and-twisted Symbian developer community?

C.
  • Reply 95 of 132
    Frankly I can't see what the problem is. Symbian works and it works well. I don't see why Nokia need huge plans to move away from Symbian, or why if they don't it'll be the end of Nokia as we know it. S60 just needs a bit of jazzing up which it is slowly but surely getting.

I think Nokia would have a lot to worry about if Apple had a whole range of devices with OSX mobile on them but until then, more people than not are going to want features in their phone that Apple currently doesn't offer
  • Reply 96 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Frankly I can't see what the problem is. Symbian works and it works well. I don't see why Nokia need huge plans to move away from Symbian, or why if they don't it'll be the end of Nokia as we know it. S60 just needs a bit of jazzing up which it is slowly but surely getting.

I think Nokia would have a lot to worry about if Apple had a whole range of devices with OSX mobile on them but until then, more people than not are going to want features in their phone that Apple currently doesn't offer

Apple's product is targeted at one specific lucrative segment of the market. iPhone is a single product. So Nokia did not have to worry.

But Android is not.

A few minutes playing with the G1 left me thinking that Nokia need to mount a very robust defense.

C.
  • Reply 97 of 132
    Quote:

Apple's product is targeted at one specific lucrative segment of the market. iPhone is a single product. So Nokia did not have to worry.

But Android is not.

A few minutes playing with the G1 left me thinking that Nokia need to mount a very robust defense.

C.

I'm still not entirely sure what you think makes a good mobile OS. Nokia have a touch screen phone coming out with new OS version and it's well known that there'll be a vast range of Nokia devices with touch screen to cater for different people (same as Android). So Nokia's touch screen potential matches Androids in that respect.
  • Reply 98 of 132
    Quote:

But there is some confusion here. How can they make such a transition without angering the bitter-and-twisted Symbian developer community?

It depends on how they do it, with the removal of the licence fee for S60, you can expand the use of it to lower value models of phones, then introduce something for the higher value. Or maybe they will just leave it for the tablet market as they have been doing so now.
  • Reply 99 of 132
    Quote:

How can they make such a transition without angering the bitter-and-twisted Symbian developer community?

OK, found the answer. I just don't understand it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IZVIV37YRY

C.
  • Reply 100 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

So true. So true. Actually, they will have some other types of phones coming out. Think Maemo.....