Apple's next-gen Mac mini to get dual display support

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Bringing its least expensive system up to par with features in the rest of its lineup, Apple is due to revamp the Mac mini with multiple video outputs, AppleInsider has learned.

Those familiar with the company's plans say the small form factor desktop will have both the Mini DisplayPort connector first introduced on unibody MacBooks but also a Mini DVI connector.

The reason for the addition is unclear, though it would potentially give the budget Mac dual display support that it has lacked since it was introduced as a PowerPC G4 model in 2005. All other current Macs either already include a built-in display and only need one video output or else use full-size video cards, such as the discontinued Power Mac G5 or today's Mac Pro.

Such an update is helped in part by details that Apple itself has unintentionally confirmed through software leaks, which show the Mac mini using the GeForce 9400M chipset in a significantly new model that would, as a result, have the faster video performance and support for DisplayPort that are both missing in the current model's Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics.

It also indirectly supports notions of a more flexible design that in past leaks has suggested might include the option of replacing the optical drive with a second hard drive.

People aware of the update, however, contradict claims of a partly black plastic enclosure and say that none of the material seems visible on the design, suggesting it won't quite fit the black-and-silver color scheme of the iMac or other current Apple computers.

The new model is widely expected to bow at Macworld and may be accompanied by a new iMac at the same time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 249
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Those familiar with the company's plans say the small form factor desktop will have both the Mini DisplayPort connector first introduced on unibody MacBooks but also a Mini DVI connector.

This would be a smart move on Apple's part. Would be interesting to see if they decide on using the 9600M as well. Doubtful but who knows.
  • Reply 2 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

This would be a smart move on Apple's part. Would be interesting to see if they decide on using the 9600M as well. Doubtful but who knows.

I would like to see this, but I also think it won't happen.
  • Reply 3 of 249
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Yeah, sounds like a good idea. But we won't know until Steve...err...Phil...umm...someone at Apple announces the new Mac mini.
  • Reply 4 of 249
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    That would be a welcome addition to the MacMini, especially for its price. I doubt you'll see the 9600M shipping on it. I doubt you'll even see it as a BTO option for cost reasons (unless the selling price goes up).

If Apple can do these little things like make it optional to add a 2nd HD, install decent graphics on it, dual video out, SuperDrives across the lineup, and maybe integrate AppleTV software into it this will be a killer little Mac for a great price. MUCH better value than it currently is....

I wonder if Apple will switch the power connector to a Magsafe so customers could use the magsafe built into the LED Cinema Display? That would also give customers an iSight cam, more USB ports, and speakers as well.
  • Reply 5 of 249
    How many mini DisplayPort monitors are on the market? The Mac Mini is targeted to people that have existing displays (and mice and keyboards). The Mini DVI is to serve that need, and the DisplayPort is there to allow use of such a monitor in the future, yielding flexibility in monitor choice. This makes perfect sense. Whether this will support two displays being driven at the same time is a separate feature.
  • Reply 6 of 249
    That's a deal-sweetener for me!

I'm currently using two flat-panel monitors side-by-side driven by good ol' PowerMac G5. Back in the day, the Dual 2GHz was the powerhouse of all Macs, it is quietly going to become "obsolete" when the Intel-only Snow Leopard comes out.

This could become a very affordable entree into the Intel Mac experience that would maintain continuity of my setup.

I'm keeping my eyes on the new mini.
  • Reply 7 of 249
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacComas View Post

How many mini DisplayPort monitors are on the market? The Mac Mini is targeted to people that have existing displays (and mice and keyboards). The Mini DVI is to serve that need, and the DisplayPort is there to allow use of such a monitor in the future, yielding flexibility in monitor choice. This makes perfect sense. Whether this will support two displays being driven at the same time is a separate feature.

I think if it is true its a good thing, but even if the Mac Mini had only a Mini DisplayPort, there's still an Apple adaptor for MiniDP to DVI.

Maybe it's cost, forcing everyone to buy the MiniDP to DVI adaptor would negate the attractiveness of the Mini.

I am intrigued but I think we don't have all the details yet. Sounds too good to be true.
  • Reply 8 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

That's a deal-sweetener for me!

I'm currently using two flat-panel monitors side-by-side driven by good ol' PowerMac G5. Back in the day, the Dual 2GHz was the powerhouse of all Macs, it is quietly going to become "obsolete" when the Intel-only Snow Leopard comes out.

This could become a very affordable entree into the Intel Mac experience that would maintain continuity of my setup.

I'm keeping my eyes on the new mini.

It's like suddenly in the past week this new Mini could be what I've been looking for 6 months now. Oh, could it be...?

I don't need no laptop, I got mah 17" portable Mac right here... this new Mac Mini + my Sony 17" LCD
  • Reply 9 of 249
    Quote:

It would be excellent, but I don't think so. Then again, the 9400M and 9600M was a pretty stunning move. It's all this tempting and taunting by Apple. Oh the torment...!
  • Reply 10 of 249
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

BThe reason for the addition is unclear

The Mini is used in a huge variety of applications and a great number of those require analog video. Putting mini-dp into VGA, component or s-video would be near impossible. However, people will also need to drive high-end Cinema displays so having both covers all options and there is enough room.

There should also still be room for FW800 but no word on that yet.

I don't see the need for black to be honest. It would be best being all aluminium with a white Apple logo - this actually does fit with the lineup. Only the displays are black and the Mini has no display. The Mac Pro similarly shouldn't get black trim.
  • Reply 11 of 249
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    This is a bit of a non-story as far as I'm concerned.

Apple stated that they are putting Mini DisplayPort into every product from now on, so its inclusion is hardly a surprise.

Unlike the other members of the Macintosh family, the Mac mini is explicitly designed to work with a switcher's existing display - hence the need for Mini-DVI. A new mini which could only drive Apples LED Cinema Display wouldn't be much of a switcher machine.

I expect the Mac Pro to go down exactly the same route.
  • Reply 12 of 249
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Perhaps 'cause there's no mini-DP to analog TV adapter?
  • Reply 13 of 249
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    DisplayPort supports multiple monitors by means of daisy-chaining, so this is clearly aimed at comforting switchers rather than enabling dual monitor support.
  • Reply 14 of 249
    I wouldn't be surprised if FW 400 or 800 missing from the new MacMini. Sure, people will bitch just like they did with the MacBook, but everyone does during a transition. Yes, I think Apple is silently in a transition away from FW, reserving it for only its high end products until its totally dead. I'm sure when Apple went from all local bus and SCSI to all USB people did the very same thing and despised Apple for it as people had all of these different local bus/SCSI peripherals that were now useless. Some being expensive purchases just like todays peripherals.

BTW...I wouldn't mind seeing an all aluminum enclosure with a black Apple logo. You could hide the IR sensor in the logo just like they do with the iMac. The IR sensor doesn't necessarily need to be on the front of the case.
  • Reply 15 of 249
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't see the need for black to be honest. It would be best being all aluminium with a white Apple logo - this actually does fit with the lineup. Only the displays are black and the Mini has no display. The Mac Pro similarly shouldn't get black trim.

It's interesting that the MacBook Air prototype that was doing the rounds had a black plastic underside. Perhaps early pre-production units feature black plastic components as a stop-gap until the final aluminium parts are perfected?
  • Reply 16 of 249
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    Dual display would be awesome (assuming it spans... not mirrors). Dual 24" monitors and a MacMini would be sweet!
  • Reply 17 of 249
    As has been reported elsewhere, the display port on the new Macbook's is DRM "enabled", restricting the ability to play DVDs, or instance, on an external display.

If this is the case on the new Mac Mini, one of the prime uses for the mini as a media center will go away.
  • Reply 18 of 249
    If all of this turns out to be true, you can be certain I'll be in line to get one.
  • Reply 19 of 249
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

As has been reported elsewhere, the display port on the new Macbook's is DRM "enabled", restricting the ability to play DVDs, or instance, on an external display.

If this is the case on the new Mac Mini, one of the prime uses for the mini as a media center will go away.

That's my concern. I'm using the current Mini as my media center. It won't even play DVDs, or is it just an HD restriction? How about OTA HD signals?
  • Reply 20 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

That my friend is what the DVI port is for. I don't know of any TVs that have the Mini Display Port on them.....