Apple's next-gen Mac mini to get dual display support

Comments

• Reply 121 of 249
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I could be wrong, but I thought I read that the combination of a mDP-to-DVI adaptor and then a DVI-to-HDMI adaptor didn't allow the HDCP to pass through, blocking any content that required the DRM handshake. Maybe I'm just confusing the reports I've read elsewhere.

Can anyone confirm if such a combination of adaptors to connect one of the new laptops to an HDTV and play an iTunes video with DRM actually works?

Maybe this adapter is odd, but HDCP should work over DVI just fine, provided the monitor supports it. I can't say anything about the Macs, but it works fine on PS3 to a computer monitor that supports HDCP over HDMI.
  • Reply 122 of 249
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Thanks. Can the new ADC push 110 or something lower than 110 that would be needed for an updated Mini? That would be telling if Apple planned the new ADC for the new Mini or not.

I just had this thought that might upset the FireWire crowd, the question is what is the power budget for a FireWire port? I seem to remember it being 40 watts, if so just dropping Firewire would put Minis power budget into the current laptop adapter range.

So no eggs from the FireWire crowd, this thought just suddenly popped into my head. I just don't see that new cinema display being a laptop only screen. Still it odd that it is Friday before the big show and there are no good rumors - strange.

Dave
  • Reply 123 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I could be wrong, but I thought I read that the combination of a mDP-to-DVI adaptor and then a DVI-to-HDMI adaptor didn't allow the HDCP to pass through, blocking any content that required the DRM handshake. Maybe I'm just confusing the reports I've read elsewhere.

Can anyone confirm if such a combination of adaptors to connect one of the new laptops to an HDTV and play an iTunes video with DRM actually works?

Well, the guy in the first Apple/HDCP story (the only story I've read) was connected to a VGA projector. So of course that wasn't a protected path.
  • Reply 124 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kirkrr View Post

If Firewire goes away, has anyone come up with an alternative to Target Disk Mode? I have had to use target disk mode many times, particularly on development machines, to recover from some screw up. Time machine is a poor substitute, as you can't boot from TM. Carbon Copy Cloner, Superduper and iBackup, all allow the creation of bootable backups, but can you keep these bootable images current? I guess you would need to do both TM and a disk image to account for lack of Firewire. Target disk mode is just such a powerful tool, it is a shame that it does away with Firewire, and has no replacement.

As the Macbook sans Firewire has been out there a couple months, has anyone addressed this limitation??

Though more convenient in a way it isn't really essential anymore now that the hard drives are so easy to remove. Just pick you up a cable that connects SATA to USB 2.0, they range between $15 & $30. I'm sure there is even a version out there that will power your drive off USB power (or you could pull apart an enclosure that does this).
  • Reply 125 of 249
    wijgwijg Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Originally Posted by roehlstation

Quote:

The current Mac Mini is a 110W AC Adapter, the MB and MBP Magsafe adapters are 65W.

Thanks. Can the new ADC push 110 or something lower than 110 that would be needed for an updated Mini? That would be telling if Apple planned the new ADC for the new Mini or not.

Actually, none of the MagSafe adapters are 65W. The MB MagSafe adapter is 60W. The MBP MagSafe adapter is 85W. (The MBA MagSafe adapter is 45W.)

I don't know what the current Mac Mini power requirement is; maybe you're wrong about that too. In any case, the existence of lower-power MagSafes does not preclude the existence of potentially forthcoming higher-power MagSafes.

Maybe firewire isn't in danger (from a power perspective).
  • Reply 126 of 249
    I am predicting that it will have two video outputs. Mini Display Port and HDMI. I really hope it has HDMI anyway. I would like to carry both sound and picture through my Amp on HDMI rather than mess around with separate picture and sound outputs, it makes things too complicated otherwise.

As has been pointed out there is no point whatsoever in having Mini DisplayPort and DVI, so if there are to be two connectors (and it seems likely) then it must be either 2x DisplayPorts or a HDMI, surely?
  • Reply 127 of 249
    Oh and of course there will not be a magsafe in the new Mini. The concept of that makes no sense whatsoever.
  • Reply 128 of 249
    A dumb question perhaps:

Is there any chance that the new mini could have eSATA?

It's fast and has room to grow beyond firewire, but it requires an external power source. So, the new mini could use the conventional power supply, ditch firewire, encourage users to buy the new monitor, then use the monitor's MagSafe power connection for eSATA peripherals...

Whatever.

There may be no need for MagSafe on the mini (other than cleanliness), but I don't see how it's a bad idea. The computer will need a power supply; the computer may as well come with a MagSafe adapter as opposed to a regular AC power brick. What's the difference? It's not as if the conventional connector is held in place all that securely as it is; add some kind of clip for insurance if deemed necessary.

With notebooks being Apple cash-cows (and the suspected high-volume of mini sales, present and future) there may be an economy of scale for shipping the mini with a MagSafe power supply.

Further, a mini that comes with a MagSafe adapter provides an incentive for the user with the new mini DisplayPort monitor to cash-in by selling the adapter that came with his/her computer. That would help the consumer offset the high margin on the Apple display.
  • Reply 129 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

Oh and of course there will not be a magsafe in the new Mini. The concept of that makes no sense whatsoever.

On the contrary it makes a tremendous amont of sense.

The current mini external power supply is big, clunky and has a terrible connector that unplugs if you breathe on it wrong. Magsafe would be a far more secure connection that what is there now.

Apple doesn't have to manufacture and QC a separate power supply, they can just use the 85W MBP MagSafe already on store shelves.

More importantly, it allows the mini to be powered by one of the new LED cinema displays, just like the laptops. One power cable for the whole setup, less clutter. And if the mini didn't use MagSafe, then the MagSafe cable from the LED display would just dangle with nothing to connect to. Not the kind of the thing Steve is likely to approve.

Assuming the new mini will be even smaller, it will make a very easily transportable computer. Keep an extra MagSafe adapter in your bag or at the office and easily shuttle the mini to multiple locations. Try that with the beast of a power supply it has now. The current ones aren't even for sale separately. You couldn't get a second one if you wanted.

Besides, if the mini keeps a
  • Reply 130 of 249
    A magsafe power supply is designed to be easily removed from a laptop in case someone trips over the cable. It also unplugs itself very easily when using a macbook and the cable is snagged somewhere (usually on my couch) or the power cable is pulled to it's limit. It is great at what it does.

But for a desktop computer/media server it would be madness to include such a feature. If I have to move my Mini to get to a cable or something behind it I certainly do not want the risk that the cable is snagged somewhere and thus suddenly lose all power to the Mini. Whatever you think of the power supply on the current Mini is certainly takes more force to remove than a Magsafe.

Anyone who thinks that the new Mini might have a magsafe really is not thinking things through properly. It would be a stupid feature for Apple to include.
  • Reply 131 of 249
    Quote:

Anyone who thinks that the new Mini might have a magsafe really is not thinking things through properly. It would be a stupid feature for Apple to include.

That's called an argument from intimidation and isn't really an argument. It's a logical fallacy.
  • Reply 132 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WIJG View Post

A dumb question perhaps:

Is there any chance that the new mini could have eSATA?

It's fast and has room to grow beyond firewire, but it requires an external power source. So, the new mini could use the conventional power supply, ditch firewire, encourage users to buy the new monitor, then use the monitor's MagSafe power connection for eSATA peripherals...

Whatever.

There may be no need for MagSafe on the mini (other than cleanliness), but I don't see how it's a bad idea. The computer will need a power supply; the computer may as well come with a MagSafe adapter as opposed to a regular AC power brick. What's the difference? It's not as if the conventional connector is held in place all that securely as it is; add some kind of clip for insurance if deemed necessary.

With notebooks being Apple cash-cows (and the suspected high-volume of mini sales, present and future) there may be an economy of scale for shipping the mini with a MagSafe power supply.

Further, a mini that comes with a MagSafe adapter provides an incentive for the user with the new mini DisplayPort monitor to cash-in by selling the adapter that came with his/her computer. That would help the consumer offset the high margin on the Apple display.

I don't see Apple doing anything with eSATA (if they ever do) until power over eSATA is perfected & implemented. With Firewire 3200 & USB 3 also on their way it just seems unlikely that Apple will adopt anything until the dust settles & a winner is selected. Look how long they've dragged their feet about Blu-ray.
  • Reply 133 of 249
    Quote:

That's called an argument from intimidation and isn't really an argument. It's a logical fallacy.

If that is what you think then suit yourself. We will no doubt see next week if I am guilty of logical fallacy.
  • Reply 134 of 249
    Quote:

A magsafe power supply is designed to be easily removed from a laptop in case someone trips over the cable. It also unplugs itself very easily when using a macbook and the cable is snagged somewhere (usually on my couch) or the power cable is pulled to it's limit. It is great at what it does.

But for a desktop computer/media server it would be madness to include such a feature. If I have to move my Mini to get to a cable or something behind it I certainly do not want the risk that the cable is snagged somewhere and thus suddenly lose all power to the Mini. Whatever you think of the power supply on the current Mini is certainly takes more force to remove than a Magsafe.

Or thinking it through more thoroughly than you. I totally agree that at first glance it seems crazy, but then look at 2 things:

1. the connector on the Cinema display is the one that comes out sideways so it can attach to the MB Air. It's design is far less likely to be bumped against something causing it to come out.

2. Apple could easily include some sort of small clipping device that could latch over the connecter, thus securing it in place.

Though I'm not going to give Apple the benefit of the doubt on this one it is surely possible to develop a secure way to use a magsafe connector.
  • Reply 135 of 249
    Quote:

If that is what you think then suit yourself. We will no doubt see next week if I am guilty of logical fallacy.

I think the new mini might use a MagSafe. It may not. In any case, there's no problem with me thinking clearly. You, however, are still guilty of a logical fallacy--regardless of the outcome next week.

Have a nice day.
  • Reply 136 of 249
    Quote:

I think the new mini might use a MagSafe. It may not. In any case, there's no problem with me thinking clearly. You, however, are still guilty of a logical fallacy--regardless of the outcome next week.

Have a nice day.

Okay, so I say that Apple will not put a magsafe on a desktop because it is a laptop technology that has not benefit whatsoever to a desktop and you call this a logical fallacy.

If Apple do release the new Mini with a magsafe then I am wrong, you are right and I am indeed guilty of a logical fallacy.

But if Apple do not put a magsafe on the new Mini then I am still wrong, you are still right and I am still guilty of an illogical fallacy?

mmmm...

Don't you think that when the Mini is released without the magsafe it means that engineers considered it and decided there was no logic in the idea?
  • Reply 137 of 249
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Have a nice day.

IF Apple allows the next iteration of the Mac Mini have a power pass-through from the new ADC, THEN the new Mac Mini WILL connect using a MagSafe either directly or with an adapter.

There is a high probability that Apple would have thought about Murphster's complain within the 5 seconds of deciding to remove the additional power brick by including a way for the MagSafe to not pop out. Murphster doesn't seem to think that it's possible to prevent the MagSafe from unplugging if tugged. For even the most rudimentary solution, the word 'tape' comes to mind.

Apple isn't going to make brand new ADCs that are the exact same in every way, save for the power pass-through connector. That is excessively confusing and costly to the consumer.

I think that IF the new Mini can effectively use the power from the new ADC then it will have that option. That external powerbrick has always been a mark against the Mini's otherwise petite size. By using this option Apple gets a leg up on its competitors with total size and cables to power, and potentially gets an ADC sale out of a Mac Mini sale.
  • Reply 138 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

Or thinking it through more thoroughly than you. I totally agree that at first glance it seems crazy, but then look at 2 things:

1. the connector on the Cinema display is the one that comes out sideways so it can attach to the MB Air. It's design is far less likely to be bumped against something causing it to come out.

2. Apple could easily include some sort of small clipping device that could latch over the connecter, thus securing it in place.

Though I'm not going to give Apple the benefit of the doubt on this one it is surely possible to develop a secure way to use a magsafe connector.

I get where you are coming from but then that would surely defeat the purpose if they had to develop a new magsafe connector? I do not see the problem that needs solving with a magsafe connector, in fact I can only see problems that will be caused by using a magsafe connector.
  • Reply 139 of 249
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I get where you are coming from but then that would surely defeat the purpose if they had to develop a new magsafe connector? I do not see the problem that needs solving with a magsafe connector, in fact I can only see problems that will be caused by using a magsafe connector.

You keep forcing on the connector itself, not the benefit of being able to remove a powerbrick, a cable and used wall outlet. Since the most common Mac sale is a notebook it only makes since that they use their notebook power connector on the new ADC? Do you think it's logical to make new ADCs that have a different power connector just for the Mac Mini?
  • Reply 140 of 249
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

What's less expensive? Supplying an industry standard power cord or augmenting the Monitors to support that clippy you're talking about, just to have the magsafe cable that serves no purpose for a desktop/mini system?