Microsoft intros Windows 7 beta, Songsmith app at CES

Comments

• Reply 21 of 156
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Wait a minute, I thought this was Apple Insider.

The only connection this thing has to Apple at all is the comparison to GarageBand which is lame, and not even plausible. Do AppleInsider writers take their cues from Microsoft press releases now? Given that there have been precious few stories of any kind on this site for the last few days, to print this is just stupid.

Even if you wanted to print a story that's only tangentially related to Apple, the better story (which you haven't even covered) is the new Palm pre that came out today. It's not only a very interesting device and OS, it's a direct competitor to the iPhone (the current hot Apple product dont'cha know), and the company is practically run by ex Apple employees.

Relevancy? Heard of it?
  • Reply 22 of 156
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Unbelievable. Embarrassment.

I feel sick after watching that video.
  • Reply 23 of 156
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

that video already wasted 19sec of my life. i am not throwing another 4mins away.

Now you can waste more than an hour of your time:

The full CES Keynote.

I think using VLC to view the stream is the best.

I was amazed by how much marketing fluff there was vs. actual feature demonstrations. And many of the things that they went on about as if they were some revolutionary are just mildly modified OS X/ iPhone technologies.
  • Reply 24 of 156
    OMG. That video is truly unbelievable. I mean this goes beyond bad taste or corporate cluelessness. Is there no one under the age of 45 working at MS? Is there not an intern who can say "This is unspeakably lame, you can't possibly show it to anyone under any context"?

Christ almighty, that's embarrassing.
  • Reply 25 of 156
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    "Microsoft, huh? So it's pretty easy to use!"

AHAHAHAHAHAHAhAhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Reply 26 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ensign Pulver View Post

OMG. That video is truly unbelievable. I mean this goes beyond bad taste or corporate cluelessness. Is there no one under the age of 45 working at MS? Is there not an intern who can say "This is unspeakably lame, you can't possibly show it to anyone under any context"?

Christ almighty, that's embarrassing.

And is there no one at MS who can explain to them what the I'm a Mac/ PC commercials are about. Their inane "I'm a PC" commercial drive me nuts, because besides not actually saying anything, they also completely miss the point of the Apple commercials they are supposed to respond to.

MICROSOFT: The PC and Mac in Apple's commercials are metaphors for the computers NOT the users!!!!

Helloooooooo!
  • Reply 27 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I officially fucking hate Microsoft. They have no taste. It's hard to believe they still behave this way. This isn't the 90's anymore. You've just got to wonder how they think, or if in fact they actually do.

I think they just don't have strong leadership, that can look at something and say, "that sucks, do this instead."

Steve nailed it when he said "They have no taste."

Oh, and others have pointed out that is definitely a MacBook Pro in the commercial. lol

That's why they never show the screen from the front, only floating screenshots.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
  • Reply 28 of 156
    sabugasabuga Posts: 45member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zimzim View Post

You know I think the previous poster may be right. Isn't that a PowerBook G4 with flowers stuck on it to cover the Apple logo?

Dude, it IS an apple! It's a macpro, which would be running windows. compare

http://blog.800hightech.com/wp-conte...-pro-ports.jpg with the laptop at 3:02, the ports are the same, even the screws, the touchpad has ONE large button!
  • Reply 29 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Wait a minute, I thought this was Apple Insider.

The only connection this thing has to Apple at all is the comparison to GarageBand which is lame, and not even plausible. Do AppleInsider writers take their cues from Microsoft press releases now? Given that there have been precious few stories of any kind on this site for the last few days, to print this is just stupid.

Even if you wanted to print a story that's only tangentially related to Apple, the better story (which you haven't even covered) is the new Palm pre that came out today. It's not only a very interesting device and OS, it's a direct competitor to the iPhone (the current hot Apple product dont'cha know), and the company is practically run by ex Apple employees.

Relevancy? Heard of it?

This is related to apple however. Microsoft is considered apple's main computer industry competitor, so when they make announcements regarding new products like this, its worth noting on an apple site.

And there's been plenty of apple topics in the past week.

More Topic Related: Did anyone actually get through that "commercial"? I hope that didn't come from their $300-million advertisement piggy bank

I maybe nitpicking here, but even the desktop background looked a little like the Leopard "Space" background.
  • Reply 30 of 156
    gwilligwilli Posts: 24member
    Hate to say it but Windows 7 looks like a pretty good product that should have been released instead of Vista. Not saying that I don't love my mac book pro and Leopard. I'm just saying it's a better product than what's out there for Windows users (bless them). It's just a shame that they're all going to have to buy new hardware AGAIN to support it! HA! As shown in the Ad, they'll have to be buying Mac's any way!
  • Reply 31 of 156
    I find it more ironic that AppleInsider posted the video in Flash format that can't be viewed on my iPhone.

I thought Flash was dead and we don't need it for the iPhone?
  • Reply 32 of 156
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    That ad just ruined the great feeling I had for getting a Refurbed Air for next to nothing...

and it made me throw up...
  • Reply 33 of 156
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Terrible ad, would turn people off rather than make them buy it IMO...

The girl can't sing, her dad seems like a moron, and it's being played on a Mac. You can see the tip of the white Apple logo poking out above the flower sticker. Plenty of people know what Mac notebooks look like, and they'll be saying, "Hmm that looks like they are running it on a Mac". Well done M$!
  • Reply 34 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sabuga View Post

Dude, it IS an apple! It's a macpro, which would be running windows. compare

http://blog.800hightech.com/wp-conte...-pro-ports.jpg with the laptop at 3:02, the ports are the same, even the screws, the touchpad has ONE large button!

I loved it! I couldn't get past the line in the song... "What are you doing, Lisa?..."

LISA??

THAT IS TOO FUNNY. A girl with the name of the first Apple Mouse-Driven computer!!

LISA??

Someone's gonna get canned.
  • Reply 35 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ijoyner View Post

I just read an Upanishad this morning.....

Wow. I am impressed.
  • Reply 36 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tri3 View Post

You know Apple really needs to pounce on the "I'm a PC" ad.

Take out the "P" and you get Imac. IMO it is a subliminal mistake maybe or maybe not.

That's brilliant!
  • Reply 37 of 156
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Unbelievable. Embarrassment.

I feel sick after watching that video.

I actually made through two and a half minutes. It didn't get any better.

Does MS review this stuff before putting it out? My 11 year old daughter would be nerded out by that shit.
  • Reply 38 of 156
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Ok..I want 5 minutes of my life back. That was very sad! At least Apple can make a video worth while, even if its about why our new batteries are better than the rest.

That being said...I'm anxious to try Windows 7 Beta when its available.
  • Reply 39 of 156
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HustlerOne View Post

Did anyone else notice that the laptops being used in the commercials were MacBook Pros with the Apple logo conveniently covered? Seems like Microsoft admittedly has a sweet tooth for Mac hardware...

My additions to the various posts regarding Apple MB Pros used in MS commercial, MS copying Apple again, and take the "P" out of I'm a PC for the subliminal message of iMac.

They had to use MacBook Pros to efficiently run their Windows 7 Beta. After all, wasn't it the MB Pro that ran MS Vista OS better than PC's and was written up in PC magazine?

Everyone wonders what Apple will do post Steve Jobs, long live him with good health too. But you know who really is wondering what they are going to do Post Steve Jobs? Microsoft!

Apple should do a I'm a PC commercial but have PC say "I am CC" and Mac says "You mean PC?" and PC says "No, CC - Copy Cat"!
  • Reply 40 of 156
    yupyup Posts: 1member
    Dude, that video was lame.