Microsoft intros Windows 7 beta, Songsmith app at CES

Comments

• Reply 81 of 156
    CRINGE! That video gave me the goosebumps and shivers - and not in a good way. I had a hard time keeping my protein shake down.
  • Reply 82 of 156
    Steve Ballmer probably made that video himself.
  • Reply 83 of 156
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I think my dain got bramaged.

I watched ti twicet.
  • Reply 84 of 156
    ronsterronster Posts: 153member
    After reading the posts on Songsmith, I had to watch that ad...like watching a train wreck.

That is the worse POS software ever. Microsoft wasted money developing that. WOW.

Complete fail, EPIC fail.
  • Reply 85 of 156
    Good old fashion Windows bashing, I love it. That said, while some of this sounds pretty strange (Songsmith? What the?), Microsoft isn't always off the ball. I for one prefer Word over Pages.

That said, I've seen Windows 7. I've used Windows 7. Builds newer than you'd see in the wild. Granted at some point today that will change, I'm sure the public beta build released this afternoon will be newer than what I've played with.

Windows 7 is good, as Windows goes. More feature packed than Vista, efficient, more stable than XP and almost as friendly as Leopard. Think of all the faults of Vista, imagine the vast majority gone.

It's something else. Not that I intend to be switching, after all I said almost as, not as friendly as Leopard, but I think Microsoft has done something right for once, besides Word.

Of course, knowing Microsoft, by now they may have messed it up again for all I know, but we've all got Boot Camp, so I'd suggest to the more adventurous among us, that you give it a go this afternoon: http://www.microsoft.com/windows7

* I naturally disclaim any responsibility for file loss, exploding computers and pregnant girlfriends. You should all know better than to use Windows.

** I haven't gotten a chance to play with Snow Leopard yet.
  • Reply 86 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Wait a minute, I thought this was Apple Insider.

The only connection this thing has to Apple at all is the comparison to GarageBand which is lame, and not even plausible. Do AppleInsider writers take their cues from Microsoft press releases now? Given that there have been precious few stories of any kind on this site for the last few days, to print this is just stupid.

Even if you wanted to print a story that's only tangentially related to Apple, the better story (which you haven't even covered) is the new Palm pre that came out today. It's not only a very interesting device and OS, it's a direct competitor to the iPhone (the current hot Apple product dont'cha know), and the company is practically run by ex Apple employees.

Relevancy? Heard of it?

Well, just like gaming sites try to fuel the Xbox 360 vs. PS3 fanboy fanboy flame wars, it seems AppleInsider feels they must do the same with the Apple vs. Microsoft fanboy flame wars to get cheap site hits instead of posting real content. They even take an innocuous quote from a Microsoft exec and try top spin it like it's an attack on Apple (Gee, a high level exec praises his company's own products...an an Apple exec would never do something so evil).

But I guess it worked. Here you have a bunch of Apple fanbots attacking Windows 7 and Songsmith without ever having used it. AppleInsider, you must be so proud!
  • Reply 87 of 156
    I think GarageBand's horizontal timeline is more logical than blocks that are added left to right, top to bottom....

SongSmith wasn't even pretty....
  • Reply 88 of 156
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Well, just like gaming sites try to fuel the Xbox 360 vs. PS3 fanboy fanboy flame wars, it seems AppleInsider feels they must do the same with the Apple vs. Microsoft fanboy flame wars to get cheap site hits instead of posting real content. They even take an innocuous quote from a Microsoft exec and try top spin it like it's an attack on Apple (Gee, a high level exec praises his company's own products...an an Apple exec would never do something so evil).

But I guess it worked. Here you have a bunch of Apple fanbots attacking Windows 7 and Songsmith without ever having used it. AppleInsider, you must be so proud!

As many of you know, I tell it like it is and have let my thoughts be known, especially with Apple pricing, non apple parts and their marketing model, however, having been a PC beta developer for dozens of PC apps, this has got to be the worst thing I have ever seen.

I thought surely this is a joke right, but was horrified to see that this was real. I thought perhaps maybe something like Acid from Sonic Foundry (rather Sony) but wow, that was hideous- ARE YOU KIDDING ME? ALL THE MONEY THEY HAVE AND THE BEST THEY CAN DO IS CRAPPY SOUNDING LOOPS THAT SOUND LIKE GENERAL MIDI WINDOWS SOUND FONTS? IS GATES AN IMBECILE? SOMEONE AT MSFT NEEDS TO BE FIRED.

THAT IS HIDEOUS!!!
  • Reply 89 of 156
    Microsoft has zero taste in music.That song made my ears bleed, and I send a friend the link to the page

It blows,

what blows?

Winblows.
  • Reply 90 of 156
    ijoynerijoyner Posts: 135member
    Just thought... the ad reminds me of those cringeworthy "Duck and Cover" ads you had in the US in the 1950s.
  • Reply 91 of 156
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Songsmith could be a fun thing for kids to play with but certainly no one could use it to make a professional piece of work. It sounds tinny and awful.

I'm pretty sure the ad was not meant to be taken at face value, but was trying for a certain effect, but has not quite hit the right note, and just ended up kinda awful. Which is analogous to the kind of music produced by the program actually -- maybe those ad makers are smarter than us all.
  • Reply 92 of 156
    SONGSMITH IS HORRIBLE!! I couldn't believe that ad was real. HAHAHA! Being a musician, this is just hilarious. Someone before said it sounds like a Casio and they are absolutely right! My musician friends are going to LOVE seeing this ad. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Thanks Microshaft.
  • Reply 93 of 156
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post

...more like "nervous system" (as Vista proved). Anyways, if you haven't seen the psychotic Baller give his keynote, it's well worth a view (and laugh):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7817190.stm

Too bad he didn't say Galaxy. That would have more apt as I think the largest items at the center of most galaxies is now believed to be Black Holes.
  • Reply 94 of 156
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wraithofwonder View Post

Good old fashion Windows bashing, I love it. That said, while some of this sounds pretty strange (Songsmith? What the?), Microsoft isn't always off the ball. I for one prefer Word over Pages.

That said, I've seen Windows 7. I've used Windows 7. Builds newer than you'd see in the wild. Granted at some point today that will change, I'm sure the public beta build released this afternoon will be newer than what I've played with.

Windows 7 is good, as Windows goes. More feature packed than Vista, efficient, more stable than XP and almost as friendly as Leopard. Think of all the faults of Vista, imagine the vast majority gone.

It's something else. Not that I intend to be switching, after all I said almost as, not as friendly as Leopard, but I think Microsoft has done something right for once, besides Word.

Of course, knowing Microsoft, by now they may have messed it up again for all I know, but we've all got Boot Camp, so I'd suggest to the more adventurous among us, that you give it a go this afternoon: http://www.microsoft.com/windows7

* I naturally disclaim any responsibility for file loss, exploding computers and pregnant girlfriends. You should all know better than to use Windows.

It is certainly faster at certain tasks than XP at this point, but more stable it is not. It is still a Beta, afterall. They certainly have learned from Vista's relative failure, but so has Appld from the MM launch failure. They are now adopting the OS X-like buttons, but the Start Menu needs to go. As long as that is there I can't but dislike Windows' setup.
  • Reply 95 of 156
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Looks that way. The clue was the Microsoft Research Department title at the start of the video (and the fact that the application is still hosted at Microsoft Research). They occasionally do corny videos for this stuff (though even by their standards, this was particularly toe curling)

One thing to remember about stuff that comes out of this department, is that it is usually just a try out for some odd bit of technology that they want to experiment with. It may (or may not) end up as a final product.

Nope. It's not an experiment apparently. They're actually going to sell this.

For $30 a pop!

I guess this is what happens when you give geeks free reign with a marketing budget ....
  • Reply 96 of 156
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

...LOOPS THAT SOUND LIKE GENERAL MIDI WINDOWS...THAT IS HIDEOUS!!!

Hey, General MIDI is the ro0xx0rs okay... Back in 1990

Garageband just took a big dump all over this Songsmith stuff.

Unless they bundle a FiftyCent Masterclass with Songsmith (GET RICH MAKING HITS WITH SONGSMITH OR DIE TRYING YO!!!)
  • Reply 97 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

..But I guess it worked. Here you have a bunch of Apple fanbots attacking Windows 7 and Songsmith without ever having used it. AppleInsider, you must be so proud!

Yup, AppleInsider automagically brings out all the Apple SlamBoys too.
  • Reply 98 of 156
    If you tell me Windows 7 will let me play Crysis on my GMA950 MacBook I'll install it right away!

Quote:

• Reply 99 of 156
    I can't find the link to download it? Does Microsoft want us to try it or not?

Quote:

• Reply 100 of 156
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Hey, General MIDI is the ro0xx0rs okay... Back in 1990

Garageband just took a big dump all over this Songsmith stuff.

Unless they bundle a FiftyCent Masterclass with Songsmith (GET RICH MAKING HITS WITH SONGSMITH OR DIE TRYING YO!!!)

Yes, it STINKS STINKS STINKS and sounds like the PC application BAND IN A BOX midi files - so I looked further and sure enough, same company. That said, they are offering Garratian sound libraries and I can tell you this, if you create a song with band in a box, it sounds like playback from a CASIO keyboard, however, if you are a good musician, I am, you can load up TRILOGY, BFD drums (or any great drums), add EWQLSO $1400, and get some really good songs. Now, that said, if this program can write to you voice and then you can exporth the midi and import high end samples, then this could be revolutionary.

The only thing that scares me will be all the songs we will hear on the web, sort of like people who put music to youtube and suddenly think they are an editor.

Won't know until I look into further, but really people, someone like me or someone hip needs to take over the direction of MSFT and Apple marketing for that matter, past title was National Marketing and Promotional Director, as well as Director of Artist Relations, A&R. LOL