Palm surprises with Pre smartphone running new webOS

Comments

• Reply 41 of 209
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The only way the iPhone sells more is when the phone is offered, as is, on Verizon. That won't happen because Verizon and T-Mobile USA are dictatorial mental midgets.

Oh I thought all this time it had to do with Apple signing an exclusive AT&T contract.
  • Reply 42 of 209
    hosshoss Posts: 69member
    Once somebody, maybe SiriusXM or DirectTV, comes up with a reliable satellite phone service, we can forget about AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile, and have dirt cheap coverage everywhere. And their infrastructure is already built about 100 miles above the weather.

GPS chips send and receive data reliably already. I'm already saving the $250 I'll need to break my AT&T contract with their stupid jip plans.
  • Reply 43 of 209
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

Once somebody, maybe SiriusXM or DirectTV, comes up with a reliable satellite phone service, we can forget about AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile, and have dirt cheap coverage everywhere. And their infrastructure is already built about 100 miles above the weather.

GPS chips send and receive data reliably already. I'm already saving the $250 I'll need to break my AT&T contract with their stupid jip plans.

Satellite phones can drain your battery quickly. Imagine this, instead of sending the signal to a cell tower (1 to 2 miles away) satellite phones need to send it to 100 miles minimum and will require larger antenna. Furthermore, satellite signals will have hard time reaching the insides of buildings. There are satellite phones available now but are all bulky and expensive to buy and use.

GPS chips only receive data they don't send any.
  • Reply 44 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

I will also be an end to the iPhone and hello to the iPod Satellite!
  • Reply 45 of 209
    djbetadjbeta Posts: 30member
    I think the Palm Pre is kinda cute.. I think its success will hinge on the price point and exactly how good the OS is. Seems odd that the apps will be built on an html/css/javascript framework... I assume this means that the technologies run locally somehow-- did BeOS work like this in some way.

I think that a new iPhone is probably in the works and will once again become the leader among cell phones, but it will have to match ALL of the features of the Pre..

better camera--- good quality 25fps video (Cycorder is pretty darn good, so I see no reason why this isn't possible)

Adobe Flash support (real Flash so I can use Flash applications!)

a flash

real turn-by-turn GPS

a forward facing camera behind the LCD for properly-oriented video confereincing would be nice (so it looks like you're looking at the person on your screen)

VOICE CONTROL and SPEECH RECOGNITION ---- they pull that off in a fantastic way and they'll have the NEXT iPhone.

some of this stuff is implementable with a software update.. but it would have to be version 3 of the software I gather.. who knows maybe Apple is further along with this than we think (??????)
  • Reply 46 of 209
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Beautiful looking phone and interface. Thank God for a device that genuinely looks to be competition for the iPhone - this is the first device I've seen since the iPhone was unveiled that has impressed me to such a degree.

Once Palm releases their SDK and App Store, they'll be well on their way.

Innovation through competition, y'all.
  • Reply 47 of 209
    djbetadjbeta Posts: 30member
    Click Here to read the article from PC magazine.. they answer a few important questions.

Seems the Pre will be quite cool after they open up the OS a bit more and build in Flash.. (??) also, they plan to release a "candybar" version without the keyboard which seems smart!

I must say.. to anyone that hasn't used a Treo AND an iPhone to type... I've used both, and the iPhone blows my old Treo out of the water for typing speed and UI flexibility.. ability to type in landscape

I would have liked the Pre a lot more if they ditched that slide-out keyboard.

yes, I know some people just seem to prefer having it-- but I would guess 9 times out of 10 those people haven't given the iPhone keyboard a fair shake-- JUST a guess..
  • Reply 48 of 209
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a subtle jab at the iPhone, Palm's webOS can run multiple apps at the same time, each one "seamlessly connected to the web and always active."* According to Palm, you can instantly flip from one app to another like you would sift through playing cards on a table.

... or tabs in a web browser.... like Safari.... where all the tabs are online and active at the same time. Remember we're talking about webapps here.
  • Reply 49 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djbeta;1360949smart!

yes, I know some people just seem to prefer having it-- but I would guess 9 times out of 10 those people haven't given the iPhone keyboard a fair shake-- JUST a guess..

While the iPhone and iPod Touch keyboards are great, many prefer a one-handed portait approach which frees up the other hand for other tasks.
  • Reply 50 of 209
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

How exactly is the iPhone's OS crippled? The underlying OS on the iPhone is in fact OS X, same that's on the desktop. Once you jailbreak the iPhone, there's not much that can't be done with it.

If you're referring to the user interface, I'd hardly call the iPhone's "crippled". The iPhone's interface is a completely different way to interact with the system. All attempts made by previous mobile operating systems just took the desktop's point&click interaction and threw it behind a touch screen. Apple designed a completely new interface for a handheld device, because they knew trying to cram the Mac screen on a display that small is absurd and counter-intuitive.

The iPhone is a new platform, it's not trying to be a micro Mac, nor should it.

And while I like the idea that they chose WebKit as their front end for the entire OS, I don't understand how some people think this is more advanced than Cocoa Touch on the iPhone? WebKit has proven to be a powerful application environment, but it is in no way superior to an OS native API.

It's crippled because it doesn't have copy and paste.
  • Reply 51 of 209
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    I just don't get why they would match up a seemingly well-designed OS (It looks distinctly post-iPhone, but that's probably a good thing) with such an awkward-looking handset. Not an attractive phone at all. Call me back when you install WebOS (Stupid name, almost as bad as MacBook Air) on a handset that I wouldn't be embarasssed to hold.
  • Reply 52 of 209
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You obviously have never used a slider. The are smaller phones, not annoying and very easy to use and do not break- there is no hinge. Portrait is better than landscape because it is narrower and easier to hold. This phone looks like a winner- better than a Blackberry.

You obviously like to make assumptions about things you have no clue about.

I have Android Dev Phone (G1).

It is not small (way bigger than iPhone), and if you look carefully, the Pre is very thick.

Anything which is physical will break at one point. That's shown by the reliability studies that iPhone is the more reliable (over Blackberry).

Narrower keyboard is better? Wow. First time I hear anyone claiming that.
  • Reply 53 of 209
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djbeta View Post

Not a bad looking phone. Not as elegant as the iPhone but cool nonetheless. Given that this phone is considerably smaller than the iPhone however, I fail to see how this keyboard will be more user friendly. That is one tiny keyboard! Personally I have no problems with the virtual keyboard (specially not when inlandscape mode). In fact I really like it. Do people really us a 'real' keyboard single handed for anything but dialing numbers? If so, what the hell are you doing with your other hand? I may not want to know the answer to that one, but really, are people that good at multitasking that they can write an email or txt with one hand whilst xxxxxx with the other?
  • Reply 54 of 209
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    it's the best looking os on a mobile phone out there period. only time will tell if it is as good as the demo. if it is, apple is in for a SERIOUS battle.apple had better come up with something special for os 3 and 3rd generation iphone. it looks as if apple was resting on it's ass and palm passed them by.

it may not look as good hardware-wise as the iphone but the palm blows it out of the water when it comes to the os.
  • Reply 55 of 209
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

it's the best looking os on a mobile phone out there period. only time will tell if it is as good as the demo. if it is, apple is in for a SERIOUS battle.apple had better come up with something special for os 3 and 3rd generation iphone. it looks as if apple was resting on it's ass and palm passed them by.

it may not look as good hardware-wise as the iphone but the palm blows it out of the water when it comes to the os.

Pass the joint, mate!
  • Reply 56 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Pass the joint, mate!

lol! you're not being honest with yourself. had apple shown this everybody would be drooling and it would not have met the same criticism as has in this forum. love the iphone but this has every feature the iphone should have and it looks closer to mac osx than even the iphone does. without reading the article you could tell apple designers were behind this. this looks like a next-gen os. to me the ball is now in apple's court.
  • Reply 57 of 209
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

It sure does!! If you're of that opinion. Others may disagree.
  • Reply 58 of 209
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    I cannot believe anyone would think the phone is good looking.

The OS looks great and can easily give iPhone OS some competition. However, the handset?

Imagine the phone turned OFF. will you still think it is good looking?
  • Reply 59 of 209
    Its nice to see a handet with OMAP3430 - PowerVR SGX 530. Naturally this should accelerate the release of the next iPhone which will "utilise" the SGX far better than the I think Palm will.
  • Reply 60 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

It sure does!! If you're of that opinion. Others may disagree.

others can. i'm just giving the only point of view i can. my own. but i know i'm not alone. almost every tech blog is stunned that palm made this. not saying that apple can't do something more imaginative but in six months at wwdc it's time to step up!