Palm surprises with Pre smartphone running new webOS

Comments

• Reply 81 of 209
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

Wow, good question.

It is possibly the BeOS windowing system on top of Linux.

I watched the Pre video tour. Some observations:

1. You have to slide the keyboard out to type anything. I found this is very annoying with Android. Apple's software keyboard actually changes depending on the context. For example, if a text field is numeric only, the keyboard only contains number keys. With hardware keyboard, typing some of the stuff (numbers, symbols) is very difficult.

2. Again about the keyboard - you have to turn to the correct orientation to type. On Android, you have to turn to landscape. With Pre, you have to turn to portrait.

3. Again about the keyboard. When people have to slide every time they want to type, that's extensive wear on the sliding mechanism. I have doubts on its reliability. iPhone has terrific reliability record and one of the reason is the lack of keyboard.

4. Speed. From the video tour, the responsiveness is just not there. It looks cool when doing the animations, but not cool when you try to do anything for real. The demonstrator tried six times to show the gesture area.

5. So the apps will essentially be web apps. Yawn.

6. Palm is squeeze to Sprint - which is neither GSM nor CDMA, and is way smaller than ATT and Verizon. Basically, it is getting the leftover from Apple, Blackberry and Android.

7. The phone is simply UGLY.

8. Attention to details. On iPhone, when you pinch, the zoom level actually stick to your fingers. On "Pre", it zooms but the zoom level seems to be fixed. Basically, it knows that you are pinching, but doesn't know how much.

9. To do multiple apps running properly, it needs to have more RAM. On iPhone, the application usually has only 24MB of RAM to work with (that's only 3x photos). Running multiple apps would require much more RAM (more expensive, and bigger device) or swapping onto the flash.

10. A lot of apps are not finished. Photo doesn't rotate according to accelerometer, for example. During the demo, the demonstrator keeps on say "There will be a menu ..... blah blah" for missing features. A lot of things didn't work. She would press a button, expecting something to work, but then have to switch to something else.

11. Palm and Sprint won't say anything about the pricing and schedule. That means two things - it is going to be expensive, and it is not ready.

So, I think it is at least one year from reality, and will cost much higher than what people expect. It is quite possibly BeOS windows server over Linux, and it may end up like BeOS - very cool but couldn't find a market.

I believe it is quite close to being ready (software) but to agree with you....its not ready. But we are only talking about a couple months here not a year that is for dang sure. They seem to be where the iphone 1.0 was 2 years ago at least concerning apps. You can be damn sure that Palm's intends to have a SDK out for developers to make native apps to support a software store and in fact I believe they announced as much. So the web apps will just be how it goes during the launch.

The trick for Palm now is how long its going to take them to shake the newness off of themselves and get themselves caught up in terms of apps. One way for them to buy time for themselves is in how they allow the product to get priced. Also, I think its going to be critical for them to allow this device to be on multiple carriers.....at least in the U.S.A.

But as they said, the unit will be distributed first in europe where its going to be on multiple carriers anyway.

The U.S. launch I believe will be very soon though like right after the euro launch. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
  • Reply 82 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Well the OS kicks the iPhones ass out of the water. The hardware looks dated, too thick, too small and physical slide out keyboard just adds bulk. It doesn't look sleek or different from all the other clones out there.

I have to agree. The hardware looks downright old and ugly. Its a shame such a fine FINE OS has to be saddled to such hardware.

What would have killed the iphone in one killer, sniper like blow would have been if they teamed up that OS with some revolutionary hardware. Perhaps they could have beaten apple to the punch with some flexible display technology or a unit with an lcd display that takes up the majority of the frontside of the phone maybe? Ya know what I mean? Say like having a unit the same size as the iphone but have the lcd be much much bigger?

That, coupled with just 1 or 2 more discrete hardware buttons (for gaming).......something like any of the above mentioned would really have killed the iphone.

But the reality is they have a product with what might be a superior OS (although young) but oldish hardware.

And if you've been following Apple's moves with PA Semi.......oh my gosh the drama for this year is just getting started! Can you imagine what Apple's got up their sleeve?
  • Reply 83 of 209
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    SJ has already seen the iphone killer....we'll see it ourselves before june

other than the physical keyboard, iphone v3 will address them all including cut and paste

and i hope voicedialing..

i see this more as a competitor to RIM bold, storm, it doesn't have an ecosystem like apple, but we will hear

more with time....the devil is in the details

which are lacking
  • Reply 84 of 209
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Palm, WHERE IS THE NEW VERSION OF Palm Desktop for Mac? It has not been updated for a decade, being limited and buggy!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

LOL! Yeah, the #1 reason I stopped using my last two PDAs (Palm OS and a Zaurus) was lack of easy syncing with my Mac.

I switched back to PC partly because of Palm Desktop Mac.

My Sony Clie still serves me well today (with its measly Motorola 68000 CPU!).

As for Palm Pre:

Stack of cards metaphor = Killer Feature

Synced web calendars = Killer App
  • Reply 85 of 209
    I get the impression from this thread that unless it looks exactly like the iPhone and has the iPhone OS, it's not worth the time of day. Which is exactly the same as the Mac base topics - unless it looks like a Mac and runs OSX, it's a POS. It's just a pity there are so many narrowed minded people around here.
  • Reply 86 of 209
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I get the impression from this thread that unless it looks exactly like the iPhone and has the iPhone OS, it's not worth the time of day. Which is exactly the same as the Mac base topics - unless it looks like a Mac and runs OSX, it's a POS. It's just a pity there are so many narrowed minded people around here.

I wonder what thread you're reading, then, because on the one in front of me the responses range from "Wow! Looks awesome!" and "OS looks very interesting/awesome although I'm not smitten by the hardware" to "Competition is good, hope this spurs Apple to think different."
  • Reply 87 of 209
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Geez, that guy is cocky as hell and rude.

You mean like Steve Jobs?. Also, since when does price stop a product from being successful?.. hasn't Steve Jobs proven this over and over?. IF people think that synergy is worth their extra money, they will pony up.. i can't wait.I am a heavy user of email and texting. To be able to see all my contacts one place and not have to worry how to contact a person is great.. i espicially like the fact that if you are im'ing someone and they close their im session, it switches to texting immediately without interruption. Sweet. Now, all i have to worry about is communicating with someone, not how i communicate with them.

Palm definetly has some ideas worth implementing in the Iphone.. i predict that a few companies will copy synergy.
  • Reply 88 of 209
    The categories are Best in Show, People's Choice, and Cell Phones/Smartphones.

Out of the box it does more than the iPhone and has an OS that (to me) resembles OSX with its ease of use in the demo I watched.

From the demo and the specs this is what I was hoping for when I purchased my iPhone 3G.

In my opinion this is a very serious reason for Apple to get back to the drawing board.

Maybe "Think Different" doesn't work anymore and thinking like everyone else and giving the iPhone the basic features its lacked from day one would be a good place to start and then catch up with the features on the Pre.
  • Reply 89 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

You mean like Steve Jobs?. Also, since when does price stop a product from being successful?.. hasn't Steve Jobs proven this over and over?. IF people think that synergy is worth their extra money, they will pony up.. i can't wait.I am a heavy user of email and texting. To be able to see all my contacts one place and not have to worry how to contact a person is great.. i espicially like the fact that if you are im'ing someone and they close their im session, it switches to texting immediately without interruption. Sweet. Now, all i have to worry about is communicating with someone, not how i communicate with them.

Palm definetly has some ideas worth implementing in the Iphone.. i predict that a few companies will copy synergy.

Again, people aren't going to pony up for "features" in software when they can be replicated on other handsets which have other advantages or which cost less. Integrated messaging isn't a software suite like iLife or a next gen game-- the kind of platform specific, very difficult to replicate thing that might dictate hardware choices.

If it looks like this is a useful feature, to enough people, that can be implemented well, I would guess that Apple or a third party would develop something. No doubt Google is looking at the Pre as well.

OTOH, until we get a chance to actually use such a feature, it's hard to say. Devil's in the details, as always.
  • Reply 90 of 209
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I believe it is quite close to being ready (software) but to agree with you....its not ready. But we are only talking about a couple months here not a year that is for dang sure. They seem to be where the iphone 1.0 was 2 years ago at least concerning apps. You can be damn sure that Palm's intends to have a SDK out for developers to make native apps to support a software store and in fact I believe they announced as much. So the web apps will just be how it goes during the launch.

The trick for Palm now is how long its going to take them to shake the newness off of themselves and get themselves caught up in terms of apps. One way for them to buy time for themselves is in how they allow the product to get priced. Also, I think its going to be critical for them to allow this device to be on multiple carriers.....at least in the U.S.A.

But as they said, the unit will be distributed first in europe where its going to be on multiple carriers anyway.

The U.S. launch I believe will be very soon though like right after the euro launch. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Pre, as in the video tour, is in way worse shape than iPhone in MacWorld 2007. It took Apple six months to release after the first demo. Pre will need at least 9 to 12 months.

Another way to do time estimation - whenever you hear a vendor talking about "release in X months", multiply by 3 and you will get a fairly accurate date. Palm and Sprint wouldn't even say "first quarter of 2009". Instead, it is "first half of 2009", meaning "in 4 to 6 months". In reality, that pushes the release date to 12 to 18 months from now.

Please view the video, and see how many times the demonstrator wants to show something and it didn't work. For example, rotate the webbrowser when the phone is landscape. Even that doesn't work.

Pre is about 80% to 90% feature complete, but anyone in the software would know, the last 10% takes 90% of the effort.

Actually, it makes little sense to release it too soon in this economy. If I were Palm, I would target Xmas 2009 (and hope the economy recovers, or at least stables by then). The only reason to release early is to get attention from potential investors. So, it is possible that Palm would release early, before the product is ready, but that would be a huge mistake.

BTW, I believe both Android (G1) and Blackberry Storm were released too early. They have too many holes. After testing Android for a few days, I just cannot imagine anyone would prefer it over iPhone.
  • Reply 91 of 209
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Pre, as in the video tour, is in way worse shape than iPhone in MacWorld 2007. It took Apple six months to release after the first demo. Pre will need at least 9 to 12 months.

That's bull. I'm watching the video right now, it'll easily be ready in 6 months. Palm did a great job and deserve the credit for that.

What will Apple do in the next 6 months though? That's the real important question. The iPhone needs more RAM, better processor management and optimization in the OS. A WAY better camera, high quality 4MP with Xenon flash. There is always the mega pixel myth, but the iPhone needs a better camera. To a certain extent the MP also matter. Lots of other factors come into play like the size and quality of the light sensor etc., but the iPhone's current camera is pretty terrible, and it needs a flash.

But most importantly of all IMO. What the iPhone needs "above all other things", is an OLED display. I'll say that again, the next iPhone needs an OLED display. I'll say that again, the next iPhone needs an OLED display. I'll say that again, the next iPhone needs an OLED display. I won't say that again, cause you heard me the forth time.
  • Reply 92 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Again, people aren't going to pony up for "features" in software when they can be replicated on other handsets which have other advantages or which cost less. Integrated messaging isn't a software suite like iLife or a next gen game-- the kind of platform specific, very difficult to replicate thing that might dictate hardware choices.

If it looks like this is a useful feature, to enough people, that can be implemented well, I would guess that Apple or a third party would develop something. No doubt Google is looking at the Pre as well.

OTOH, until we get a chance to actually use such a feature, it's hard to say. Devil's in the details, as always.

Google was listed as one of the partners at the presentation at CES that Palm worked with on the Pre.
  • Reply 93 of 209
    Quote:

Another way to do time estimation - whenever you hear a vendor talking about "release in X months", multiply by 3 and you will get a fairly accurate date. Palm and Sprint wouldn't even say "first quarter of 2009". Instead, it is "first half of 2009", meaning "in 4 to 6 months". In reality, that pushes the release date to 12 to 18 months from now.

Please view the video, and see how many times the demonstrator wants to show something and it didn't work. For example, rotate the webbrowser when the phone is landscape. Even that doesn't work.

Pre is about 80% to 90% feature complete, but anyone in the software would know, the last 10% takes 90% of the effort.

Actually, it makes little sense to release it too soon in this economy. If I were Palm, I would target Xmas 2009 (and hope the economy recovers, or at least stables by then). The only reason to release early is to get attention from potential investors. So, it is possible that Palm would release early, before the product is ready, but that would be a huge mistake.

BTW, I believe both Android (G1) and Blackberry Storm were released too early. They have too many holes. After testing Android for a few days, I just cannot imagine anyone would prefer it over iPhone.

Maybe they want to get the OS stable and not use their users as beta testers like Apple did with the 3G. The iPhone wasn't even remotely stable until 2.2 and the battery still sucks.
  • Reply 94 of 209
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

Once somebody, maybe SiriusXM or DirectTV, comes up with a reliable satellite phone service, we can forget about AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile, and have dirt cheap coverage everywhere. And their infrastructure is already built about 100 miles above the weather.

Satellite phones have existed for a decade or more.

http://www.iridium.com/

It was a Motorola venture that might have sunk the company if they hadn't protected themselves by putting it in a separate company. After sinking $6 billion into the company, they sold it off to private investors for $25 million.
  • Reply 95 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Google was listed as one of the partners at the presentation at CES that Palm worked with on the Pre.

I think Google is listed as a "partner" on pretty much everything, at this point. At any rate, it certainly doesn't preclude Google from poaching anything they think might improve Android.
  • Reply 96 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think Google is listed as a "partner" on pretty much everything, at this point. At any rate, it certainly doesn't preclude Google from poaching anything they think might improve Android.

It would be nice if Apple learned how to "work" with other partners. Maybe when Steve Jobs isn't CEO, Apple will start to work with other companies instead of dictating their way or the highway.

This is one of the reasons Google has been so successful.
  • Reply 97 of 209
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

Stack of cards metaphor = Killer Feature

I agree this is a great feature. Apple could do something to improve access to apps you use concurrently. I wonder how well the card feature works though when you have several large apps open at the same time.

Quote:

Synced web calendars = Killer App

iPhone calendar syncs with the web and my Mac instantly.
  • Reply 98 of 209
    I don't agree. It looks as though Palm has done a great job with the Pre. But its not valid to compare a beta product to one that is out in the real world.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

• Reply 99 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Pass the joint, mate!

No dude, I think hes right. Even if Apple was resting on their laurels (which I don't think they are) it at least SEEMS like they are after that speCRAPularly boring macworld keynote. While I'm sure they planned on macworld to be boring for various internal and strategic reasons it doesn't matter now.

Now it LOOKS like Apple is being lazy or running out of ideas while others are passing them by.

I wonder what was Steve Jobs reaction to Jon Rubenstein's team's WebOS creation of theirs.
  • Reply 100 of 209
    What do you mean Apple doesn't partner? The iPhone comes with Google/Yahoo search toolbar in the browser. Apple built the YouTube app and the Google Maps app.

Unlike Microsoft who has Windows Live that directly competes with all of these services.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

It would be nice if Apple learned how to "work" with other partners. Maybe when Steve Jobs isn't CEO, Apple will start to work with other companies instead of dictating their way or the highway.

This is one of the reasons Google has been so successful.