Apple debuts new Mac minis with five times better graphics

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 206
    dhartdhart Posts: 10member
    The new mini is definitely not all that most of us had hoped for... but it is all-in-all a very nice upgrade... bringing the machine to a point where I will use it as a serious photographer's workstation brain. I think the sweet spot in the new lineup is

Base Model / 1GB / 120GB HDD but with upgraded processor to 2.26GHz $749

Insert upgrades:

Hitachi 7200RPM/320GB for $60

4GB of RAM for $65

Sell off the original 120GB HDD for $35 or so.

Net cost around 749 + 65 + 60 - 35 = $839 for 2.26GHz, 4GB ram, 320MB 7200RPM HDD

I know from using my 2.2GHz MacBook driving two different 24" panels that this new mini will make an excellent economical Photoshop workstation brain and a great general purpose computer.

Would I have preferred it have 2.4GHz or 2.6GHz and 4GB RAM standard? Sure. But I still like what has been offered.

I should have mine Monday and I'm excited about it!

For awhile I used the following set-up as my workstation with excellent results and I'm sure my new mini will beat this:

• Reply 202 of 206
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Now that's how you do a photo of your desk.

Nice lighting too. It's clear you are handy with the camera.
  • Reply 203 of 206
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quick question for anyone:

What kind of tasks on a mini would make it desirable to get 4GB memory instead of 2GB? Is is only something like running Parallels or Photoshop or are there other benefits to having 4GB RAM?
  • Reply 204 of 206
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 826member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

What kind of tasks on a mini would make it desirable to get 4GB memory instead of 2GB? Is is only something like running Parallels or Photoshop or are there other benefits to having 4GB RAM?

Overall speed, especially running multiple applications.

Having more RAM allows Mac OS X to rely less on the hard drive for virtual memory and use actual RAM instead. Since hard disks, even fast ones, are considerably slower than RAM everything should run a bit faster.

Maxing out the RAM and putting in a fast, 7200 rpm hard drive are the easiest (and only) ways to squeeze more speed out of your system. While you're popping the thing open to install the RAM, it's simple thing to swap hard drives. You can put the "old" hard drive into an external case for some extra storage, too.

These are great drives (and enclosures)! I bought one and just swapped it's drive with the one in a MacBook Pro.

http://www.transintl.com/store/categ...?category=2643

Also, trying to keep a minimum of 10% of your boot drive free for virtual memory helps as well.
  • Reply 205 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

2GB is actually quite a bit. I'd recommend 4GB if one or more of the following apply:

* You run one or more virtual machines (Parallels or VMWare Fusion)

* You do a lot of video editing

* You run several applications at once, especially graphic applications

* You run the mini as a Web or data server

I would not get 4GB just for Photoshop, unless you spend all day in Photoshop or you run similar apps (Illustrator, Quark, etc.) at the same time.

That said, if the cost of getting 4GB is not significant to you, then just get it and forget about it.
  • Reply 206 of 206
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Has anyone released any reviews detailing how the Mini runs the Adobe Creative Suite (in comparison to the iMacs?)