Apple debuts new Mac minis with five times better graphics

Comments

• Reply 101 of 206
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlanganki View Post

Apple is charging the same in the U.K. as the U.S. and you are complaining?

$600 = 426 pounds.

I assume there is something like 17% Tax in Britain (just a guess):

426 * 1.17 = 498 pounds.

The Apple Store UK shows 499 pounds. That sounds fair to me.

I know. It's the same tiresome cross-border whining every time Apple comes out with something.... (btw, the EU also saddles all electronics manufacturers with the end-of-life 'take-down' costs for the environment).
  • Reply 102 of 206
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Callaway7 View Post

Notice people keep posting about going to 320gb for $79 or so. Should be able to move to 500gb for $109.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136314

I am quite happy with the updated mini. 5th USB port is great, Firewire 800 is great, dual monitor support is great, bump to 4gb memory is great, and finally support for .11n

Picking up two of these for around the house.

Yeah, but I'd sacrifice capacity for speed any day. I'll never go back to 5400rpm.

Which means that I'm excited about this:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...mentus_7200.4/
  • Reply 103 of 206
    xwiredtvaxwiredtva Posts: 389member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

It's a solid deal, but not enough for me to use it as a stack for OpenCL. See my prior post about the Nvidia G110M.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product..._g110m_us.html

Your aware the 110m is LESS than the 9400M, right? 48 Gigaflops VS. 54, 64bit vs 128. Seems to me your looking at the WRONG chicken. The 9400M is faster, quicker, and has twice the bus, Not too mention....

700mhz DDR3 Vs 1066mhz DDR3

Oh, and the 9400M has integrated USB, SATA II, Audio, PCI-E/X, ethernet, just to name a few... The 9400M is all around an integrated North/South/Video controller and BETTER than the 110M.
  • Reply 104 of 206
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

No matter the state of Front Row, Apple includes it with the mini and offers the remote as an option for the Mini stating, "The Apple Remote combines with Front Row — a menu-driven, full-screen interface — to make accessing your digital content from any seat in the room as simple as navigating an iPod." Sounds to me like Apple intends the mini to be considered for home theater use even if you don't.

Jeez, the number of folks that use a HTPC...PC, Mac, whatever, EVEN on AVS Forum is miniscule. Apple has the Apple TV as their set top entry, not the mini.

And heck, I can't remember the last time Front Row got a feature update vs a fix for the latest iTunes. All the cool stuff like understudy has been open source or 3rd party.

Quote:

As a low-end or entry computer, the mini is underspecced.

It is Apple's entry level computer which is a SFF computer. As such, it seems to be better spec'd than the Dell Studio Hybrid which is $449 but for the Pentium Dual core. Not the C2D although it does come with 2GB standard.

Quote:

At the top end, it's useable but over priced.

The top end Mini is over priced...and it's meant to be so the iMac looks great in comparison. But it's nothing a putty knife and newegg can't solve.

Quote:

Follow along here, try not to think so small. The mini is either under-specced or overpriced as a low-end computer.

Follow along here...that's just your opinion. My opinion is that the new mini is a FAR better deal than the old mini and probably the best bang for the buck Mac today. That won't last long as the iMacs get bumped.

Quote:

When you move up to a faster more powerful computer, you can then take your mini and move it to your HT because it could (key word, "could") be perfect for it.

An application domain that is probably less than 1% of users even on AVS Forum. Wooohooo.

Or get an AppleTV and Boxee it. Or just use your PS3.

Quote:

I do graphic design and have an original PPC 2 gig G5 for when I need to work at home. It's aging and I need to replace it. The mini is almost functional as a stop gap until I'm ready, but it's too much for too little in it's current pricing scheme for me to use it that way.

Yes, a $599 C2D machine that can go to 4GB of ram and drive a 30" ACD is almost functional as a stopgap.

Well...hopefully drove a 30" ACD if the damn adapter doesn't suck but I digress. Dual 24" displays anyway. Hmmm...I wonder if two 4GB sticks might work. Not that I have a spare $700 to buy two sticks to try...

Quote:

As configured and priced now, Apple is probably going to lose the sale of the mini to me (which I was very interested in buying until I saw the new specs) when they could have sold me the mini AND a new tower or iMac. I doubt very seriously I'm the only person who was interested in the mini in that way, so I'm guessing Apple will have lost the sale of a new mini to other folks in my boat. That happens a lot when you make a product that falls short for how your market intends to use it.

If you can show me a significant HTPC market I might agree. Heck, and I have a half dozen old HTPC builds gathering dust in my basement. Futzing around trying to get Front Row to work seamlessly as a HTPC is really low on my list of things to do these days. Although I might try Understudy for kicks.

Otherwise, that's a mighty small boat you're in.
  • Reply 105 of 206
    I'm pleasantly pleased with the update. FW800 was a no brainer, it's built into the 9400. 5 USB ports was a surprise.

MacBook with no monitor or kybd... Not sure the Macbook has a FW800 port. Nah, this is more of a high end PC, low-end Mac. Any jacka** can build a tower with power (see any PC company anywhere, including your neighborhood). Takes skill to build something that like the Mini. I'd like to see the test results later too. Compare it not to the little junk Dell/HP/Asus are pushing but the mainstream systems (AKA JunkBoxes).

Digging the power savings too. Wonder if the powerbrick got smaller.
  • Reply 106 of 206
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Callaway7 View Post

am quite happy with the updated mini. 5th USB port is great, Firewire 800 is great, dual monitor support is great, bump to 4gb memory is great, and finally support for .11n

I just called my local Apple Store and asked about dual monitor support for the new Mini. They said that it does NOT support more than one monitor at a time.

Sad but true
  • Reply 107 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

That happens a lot when you make a product that falls short for how your market intends to use it.

The target Market: PC users, Current Mac users... Who want to use and leverage an operating system that is fully capable right out of the box. Use iLife, iWork and hey wow now you can run Final Cut, logic, aperture, etc...

Falls short of markets intended use... No, that's Windows and PC's.

This mini will blow the side door off ANY G5.
  • Reply 108 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

I just called my local Apple Store and asked about dual monitor support for the new Mini. They said that it does NOT support more than one monitor at a time.

Sad but true

Yea, thats on the tech specs at apples site.
  • Reply 109 of 206
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walney View Post

D'oh! Another slam dunk from Apple. Entry level UK price rises by £109

...so it's not "our most affordable Mac"... that would be the last one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomskey View Post

WoW!

I cannot believe everyone is so impressed with the update? It's a complete RIP OFF! No remote is included anymore and the prices here in the UK are waaaaay more expensive than the previous versions - they keep going UP - (£499 or £649).

I was going to replace, but I don't think i'll bother!

:-(

Don't worry, your currency will crater along with your economy, making the exchange rate better. 8)
  • Reply 110 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Don't worry, your currency will crater along with your economy, making the exchange rate better. 8)

Their just getting started... Have friends in England selling everything they own, buying Euro's.
  • Reply 111 of 206
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I don't mind that they kept the $599 base price, since its now EPEAT Gold and the graphics is better, but 1Gb RAM is ludicrous. No computer should come with less than 2Gb RAM. Didn't Apple learn anything after they bumped up the base Macbook?

I'm going to wait for Snow Leopard and hope that Apple bumps up the RAM on the base model.

With or without Jobs Apple always finds a way to infuriate me.
  • Reply 112 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

I don't think you can upgrade the CPU. Certainly not at a reasonable price, anyway.

I'd wait, seriously. Find out what the story is on performance for what you want. Somebody is going to try it and write something up soon enough. Within a couple of weeks I would guess.

I think the allocation is automatic, but I'll check later today.

You can upgrade the CPU, at least in the older units. It was Socket M, now Socket P (I think, don't shoot me if I'm wrong). They'd have to redesign the internal brackets for the lower cpu mounting depth and I think that would have added to the price. So I'll wager it's upgradeable.
  • Reply 113 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

I don't mind that they kept the $599 base price, since its now EPEAT Gold and the graphics is better, but 1Gb RAM is ludicrous. No computer should come with less than 2Gb RAM. Didn't Apple learn anything after they bumped up the base Macbook?

I'm going to wait for Snow Leopard and hope that Apple bumps up the RAM on the base model.

With or without Jobs Apple always finds a way to infuriate me.

Your thinking PC. OS X 10.5 doesn't NEED 2gb. 1gb is fine for 70% of the people. DDR3 is fairly new. Checking newegg, and this is weird, 1gb sticks cost $33-41 each, 2gb's in the same price... Weird. Yea it will run better with 2, but then it'll run better with 4!
  • Reply 114 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Your thinking PC. OS X 10.5 doesn't NEED 2gb. 1gb is fine for 70% of the people. DDR3 is fairly new. Checking newegg, and this is weird, 1gb sticks cost $33-41 each, 2gb's in the same price... Weird. Yea it will run better with 2, but then it'll run better with 4!

4 GB ram kit for $52.99... sharing is caring

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148191
  • Reply 115 of 206
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

Sad but true

That is a shame given dual 24" is cheaper than one 30".

Er...wait. See here:

Expand your experience.

There’s nothing quite like seeing your photos and movies on a big, beautiful display. Unless, of course, you add a second. Mac mini comes with both mini-DVI and Mini DisplayPort output ports, so you can connect up to two displays. Choose the beautiful, widescreen Apple LED Cinema Display or displays available from many third parties.

http://www.apple.com/macmini/features.html

And:

Graphics and video support

Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports up to 1920 by 1200 pixels on a DVI or VGA display; up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on a dual-link DVI display using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)

http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

How do you do video mirroring or extended desktop on one monitor?
  • Reply 116 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

You can upgrade the CPU, at least in the older units. It was Socket M, now Socket P (I think, don't shoot me if I'm wrong). They'd have to redesign the internal brackets for the lower cpu mounting depth and I think that would have added to the price. So I'll wager it's upgradeable.

I think for now i will stick with the standard 2.0, and see what upgrade options arise 3-6mos from now.
  • Reply 117 of 206
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

Follow along here, try not to think so small. The mini is either under-specced or overpriced as a low-end computer. No matter how you look at it, it's underspecced as an HTPC, but it has a form factor perfect to be used as one. The mini, among other things, is intended to bring people into the Mac world, which comes at a premium cost of entry to most. Configuring the unit to do both gives it greater longevity which makes it's cost more reasonable. Bring the specs more in line with the cost and you can use the mini as an entry or low-end Mac for a year or so and you can afford to move up to newer higher specced machine sooner because your mini still has a second life and you won't have over-invested in overpriced technology that is outdated next year.

When you move up to a faster more powerful computer, you can then take your mini and move it to your HT because it could (key word, "could") be perfect for it. At that time in the future, in addition to your newer faster workhorse computer in your home office, you'll also have an upscaling DVD, itunes and access to iTunes store, full surfing capability, full email, YouTube, facebook, and the like, the full functioning OS that lets you actually do real work, all accessible from the comfort of the sofa in your living room for your use, another member of your household, guest, whatever?a very cool option.

I do graphic design and have an original PPC 2 gig G5 for when I need to work at home. It's aging and I need to replace it. The mini is almost functional as a stop gap until I'm ready, but it's too much for too little in it's current pricing scheme for me to use it that way. AppleTV is interesting, but since I have a PS3, I don't want to spend $300 for "interesting." However, if I felt like I was getting both a full functioning computer that I got my money's worth for a while that later becomes Apple TV without being nickel and dimed, I might be more inclined to bite because it would have 2 lives for me. As it is, I'll be buying a tower or an iMac within a year or so. As configured and priced now, Apple is probably going to lose the sale of the mini to me (which I was very interested in buying until I saw the new specs) when they could have sold me the mini AND a new tower or iMac. I doubt very seriously I'm the only person who was interested in the mini in that way, so I'm guessing Apple will have lost the sale of a new mini to other folks in my boat. That happens a lot when you make a product that falls short of how your market intends to use it.

As much as I like the idea of a mini for HTPC I keep coming up on the limitations of a computer versus a dedicated device. While a C2D is a good processor and the Nvidia graphics are a step up these processing units are designed for general computing use. If you take a Blu-ray STB and crack the cover you're not going to see a Intel proc and Nvidia GPU but you will see a Broadcom or Imagination ASIC that plays back 1080p video without breaking a sweat. Though of course you're not going to run standard Mac applications on said device.

We're not going to get a 3.5" HDD into a mini so I'm wondering if Apple's best solution for digital lifestyle domination is to truly turn the Apple TV into a CE device complete with the proper ASICS and decoder and leverage network storage where consumers can add 2TB HDD to a multibay enclosure. It woould make data protection easier (centralized storage) and more flexible. What say you?
  • Reply 118 of 206
    franksargentfranksargent Posts: 4,694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BiggerBadderBen View Post

You can buy 4GB (2x2GB 1066 DDR3 SODIMM) @ Crucial for $65:

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...KIT25664BC1067

And, after a very quick search, a 320 MB 7200 RPM hard drive for $79

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136280

So for $750 and a bit of labor you can beat the Apple prices substantially. Again, assuming the putty knife trick works here.

Newegg sells the same exact Crucial (CT2KIT25664BC1067) for $52.99 (no tax and free shipping).

Also look into the Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9500420AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB (currently out of stock though but no tax and free shipping when available) for $139.00 at Newegg.

I have one of these in my laptop (will remove it and replace with 320GB Scorpio Black which was my previous laptop HD).

And yes to the $750 option (2.26GHz P8400 1 GB memory 120 GB HD).

Sweet!
  • Reply 119 of 206
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I'm anxiously awaiting the first reviews of how the new Mini runs Adobe's Design suite.

I'd also like to know how well it drives the 30" monitor.

(Just in case anyone is interested in where to start after the unboxing.)
  • Reply 120 of 206
    isomorphicisomorphic Posts: 199member
    I bought two today.

If I whine about no upgrades, I can also put my money where my mouth is.