Apple introduces compact wired keyboard with new iMacs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 163
    checocheco Posts: 2member
    In a related note what i missed is the numeric pad on the laptops, apple removed them several revisions back but for xcell is necesary maybe they removed for a problem when swtching between the keyad and nueric overlay on the same keys but really nesesary
  • Reply 22 of 163
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    I have to say I asked for this one.

The keyboard with num pad is just not ergonomical.

For the best typing position, the keyboard should be centered with the monitor. However, with the extended portion (about 7 inches), that pushes my mouse pad way to the right. Basically, I needed about 15 inches more space to the right of my typing position. On a small desk, that is impossible.

That's why I much prefer the MB and MBP keyboard. Some PC laptops comes with the built-in keypad, that would force the user to be tilted while working.

I even looked for third party USB keyboards without the num pad. Bought a ViewSonic one but it is crap. I have to say this new keyboard is ideal for me. Just wished it is cheaper.
  • Reply 23 of 163
    webheadwebhead Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luke1robb View Post

I think this move to get rid of the num. pad and decrease the width of the keyboard is a good sign that Apple might be prepping a multi-touch glass trackpad for their desktop line. By have it be smaller, one could attach (via usb) a trackpad to either end of the keyboard (lefty or righty).

Don't blow this off, I think its gonna happen in some manner. Multi-touch is still non-existent on their desktop line, a glaring signal to me.

Thoughts?

I would love that. I am so jealous of the mutitouch features that macbooks have, I really want it in a bluetooth track pad! I already use the bluetooth keyboard and love it, can?t wait for a wireless trackpad!. The wireless keyboard allows for more room on the desktop for mouse and other stuff.
  • Reply 24 of 163
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I wish there was an option for no keyboard or mouse because I don't much care for any of the Apple input devices.

Those were the old days...the Mac shipped with the mouse, but you had the option of buying the keyboard you desired. Most purchased the still amazing Apple Extended Keyboard II, which I still have on my classic LC 575.
  • Reply 25 of 163
    They are missing the 4th keyboard option: The wireless keyboard with numeric keypad. I would love the new keyboard, but I don't want one that is wired, nor do I want a wireless one that is cut in half. C'mon Apple, give people the keyboard that they have been asking for!
  • Reply 26 of 163
    Instead of giving us a new keyboard that nobody really wanted, why not give us a mighty mouse with a track ball that doesn't gum up and actually allows for a consistent right click ?

Naah - that would be too useful !
  • Reply 27 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstranathan View Post

I did. Buying one today. Great for servers too!

I agree with those of you who want black keys!

Apple had a keyboard with black keys. The problem with that keyboard was that the letters wore off the keys making it useless. Of course I am sure they could improve the manufacturing process so the letters don't wear off with use.
  • Reply 28 of 163
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    IBM/Lenovo Traveling USB keyboard with Trackpoint and UltraNAV FTW
  • Reply 29 of 163
    gnaegignaegi Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luke1robb View Post

I think this move to get rid of the num. pad and decrease the width of the keyboard is a good sign that Apple might be prepping a multi-touch glass trackpad for their desktop line. By have it be smaller, one could attach (via usb) a trackpad to either end of the keyboard (lefty or righty).

Don't blow this off, I think its gonna happen in some manner. Multi-touch is still non-existent on their desktop line, a glaring signal to me.

Thoughts?

Yes, this exactly what I thought as well and I really hope the bring this out fast! I just bought the standard keyboard, I actually exptected this to happen at MacWorld. What a bummer ...

Just check out the asus keyboard: http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/03/h...-eee-keyboard/

Really too bad Apple did not have enough speed to bring this out first!
  • Reply 30 of 163
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Apple had a keyboard with black keys. The problem with that keyboard was that the letters wore off the keys making it useless. Of course I am sure they could improve the manufacturing process so the letters don't wear off with use.

That was a totally different keyboard with different materials. We are talking circa early 2000's (G4s)

The new MacBooks have black keys.
  • Reply 31 of 163
    isidoreisidore Posts: 67member
    This new keyboard range is almost as lame as the alu macbook with no firewire. Doesn't anyone in Apple realise that not all of their customers are graphic designers, or just use their Macs to surf? The real world is based on numbers. Please can we have a wireless keyboard with a numeric keypad!!
  • Reply 32 of 163
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Looks like the compact keyboard is just a repackaged notebook keyboard. I primarily use notebooks all day every day - and sometimes miss the 10 key - I have tried a couple of USB 10 keys - but they have some issues and are not heavy enough to stay put.

What would be kinda cool would be a compact keyboard with a 10 key and a large glass-pad as options that "dock" directly to either side of the compact keyboard that would be cool. So you could put the glass pad or the 10 key on either side - or maybe even both on the same side - by plugging the add on directly into the side of the keyboard in a way that makes the entire thing appear to be a single seamless unit.
  • Reply 33 of 163
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

I reckon this will just annoy customers. People are going to order the new iMac with shorter keyboard, and not realise that it's missing the number pad. Who on earth goes out of their way to remove the number pad?? Are there really people out there that don't type numbers longer than 3 digits?

The market for Apple products are consumers and education, but the main use of the number pad is in business which they don't sell to as much. In an education setting, it's also important to have more desk space so the smaller keyboard makes sense that way also.

The average consumer "doesn't do numbers" and doesn't even track their finances in any appreciable way by using financial software or doing spreadsheets. Hopefully the longer keyboard will remain an option, but there are many good reasons for leaving it out from Apple's point of view.
  • Reply 34 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isidore View Post

This new keyboard range is almost as lame as the alu macbook with no firewire. Doesn't anyone in Apple realise that not all of their customers are graphic designers, or just use their Macs to surf? The real world is based on numbers. Please can we have a wireless keyboard with a numeric keypad!!

I so agree on both counts.
  • Reply 35 of 163
    lemcenlemcen Posts: 5member
    does anyone know if you'll be able to charge and sync your iphone with the new wired compact keyboard's usb?? i cant do it with my current keyboard?!?
  • Reply 36 of 163
    floccusfloccus Posts: 138member
    This can actually be an amazingly smart move on Apple's part to reduce the # of units kept in retail channels and move more towards Dell's highly efficient build then ship business model. Since most customers are so ingrained to having the number pad with a desktop, they'll invariably "custom build" their new Mac. Then it gets boxed up and shipped direct from China. This allows Apple to keep inventory levels lower than before, thus reducing the number of units that need to get marked down when they do eventual upgrades. Apple stores then have more room to stock MacBooks and MacBook Pros which cary a higher margin and are more popular anyways.

Still... wtf???
  • Reply 37 of 163
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

Who honestly asked for this keyboard option?

No one.

While a lot of us have been asking for a wireless keyboard with full extended functions.

sheesh

They have been making some wack announcements as of late.
  • Reply 38 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

The market for Apple products are consumers and education, but the main use of the number pad is in business which they don't sell to as much. In an education setting, it's also important to have more desk space so the smaller keyboard makes sense that way also.

The average consumer "doesn't do numbers" and doesn't even track their finances in any appreciable way by using financial software or doing spreadsheets. Hopefully the longer keyboard will remain an option, but there are many good reasons for leaving it out from Apple's point of view.

That's ridiculous- where do you get your facts from? Most everybody does their taxes these days and most people will/should be keeping budgets.

That's bull sh*t.
  • Reply 39 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isidore View Post

This looks like a point for Microsoft to mock Apple with, if ever there was one.
  • Reply 40 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by galley View Post

why is the keyboard without the number pad not cheaper? There's less to manufacture.

Bingo!