Apple unveils redesigned iPod shuffle with speech technology

Comments

• Reply 21 of 341
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Looks great- but what does it sound like??
  • Reply 22 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJMarkyMarc View Post

Looks nice but i can think of nothing worse than an Ipod trying to speak the names and titles to the music i would keep on there...

I know, like we were all really craving and in need of this?
  • Reply 23 of 341
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It looks like it doesn't do it by default, only on request:

It is a setting in iTunes, a I'm sure you suspected.

image: http://images.apple.com/ipodshuffle/...s_20090311.jpg
  • Reply 24 of 341
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't think the controls are proprietary in any way. Why are people saying this?

Because Sennheiser doesn't make a pair of 10 dollar earbuds that have those buttons and extra contact on the cable.
  • Reply 24 of 341
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

So you have to use their crummy headphones to use the the thing? is there at lease a pass through cable included so you can use GOOD headphones or a car stereo?

I wish that Apple would work on a pass-thru standard, so those who are happy with the Apple buds can use those, and the rest can just plug the remote bit into their Sures or Boses, or whatever.
  • Reply 26 of 341
    It's a real shame the there isn't a 3.5mm jack socket atop the control house to plug in third part headphones. Apart from that, killer update.
  • Reply 27 of 341
    nashinashi Posts: 3member
    Is Apple's lowliest product offering a glimpse of the future.

We know that Apple doesn't think keyboards should be on portable devices (apart from Macbooks). With all this debate about are Apple doing a NetBook or will they launch an upscale iPodTouch tablet.

Maybe they plan to add voice recognition to the iPhone (we need it for voice dialling anyway) and iPodTouch. If they could get this to actually work then maybe a keyboard is not necessary.

Is Voice Over on the Shuffle the first glimpse of this - first Touch then Voice.
  • Reply 28 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I know, like we were all really craving and in need of this?

I was, and that wasn't the first time I've mentioned it...
  • Reply 29 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

That is NOT cool. Apple must be making a ton off headphone sales. Ugly move.

So when the headphones break, and who hasn't messed up a pair in the gym, you're screwed until you pick one up from Apple? That's ridiculous!

Well I guess if people can be convinced that a sealed-in battery on a $3,000 laptop is essential then they'll fall for this too.
  • Reply 30 of 341
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Wow, this really pushes the envelope. Amazingly small form factor.
  • Reply 31 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I was, and that wasn't the first time I've mentioned it...

Well I'm glad you got what you asked for- SJ must be on your speed dial.
  • Reply 32 of 341
    i think this is indeed a reflection of things to come.

we need voiceover on the ipod touch / iphone if we are going to have turn by turn navigation, for instance.

with apple, i think you see the technology advance and then you see it get implemented across the product line.
  • Reply 33 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I wish that Apple would work on a pass-thru standard, so those who are happy with the Apple buds can use those, and the rest can just plug the remote bit into their Sures or Boses, or whatever.

The pass-thru controller sounds like something that Apple will produce (for $20=$30) but will wait a couple months before releasing. We also have to consider the number of people that are buying the Shuffle that will actually use a 3rd-party headphone. I use Apple's in-ear phones, which are pretty good quality and at at $79 make it better deal for me than buying another pair for $x and then buying a pass-thru controller to go with it. I think Apple will probably see how things go first before putting that accessory into production.
  • Reply 34 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Turbo View Post

Looks cool! But, now you're locked in to Apple earbuds for basic control?

This is a complete deal breaker for me, as can never get those old-style earbuds to stay in my ears; which is a real shame, because apart from that the device looks excellent.
  • Reply 35 of 341
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 801member
    Speaking song titles is probably the dumbest waste of tech I've ever heard of. They spent the time money and effort on that, but they still resist even a one line display?

Oh, and a new bonus!! They've raised the price too!
  • Reply 36 of 341
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Ah.....but is it snappier?
  • Reply 37 of 341
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 258member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Oh, and a new bonus!! They've raised the price too!

But doubled the capacity, right?
  • Reply 38 of 341
    tazinlwfltazinlwfl Posts: 117member
    Hey, I haven't used headphones in months now. I'm too busy listening to music blasting over my 5.1 Home Theatre

I have my own gym so I don't need to worry about using my iPhone as a MP3 player too much.

So I'm not exactly the person to know quality of which brand of headphones, and I am definitely not up with the times on features.

But I AM looking into the newer in-ear headphones (Apple) for my iPhone. They have a remote, and they are higher quality than the standard headphones.
  • Reply 39 of 341
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Looks bland. Kinda like chewing gum for robots. Intriguing and strangely desirable, nonetheless. Seems too "plain" for Steve to have 100% approved it.
  • Reply 40 of 341
    At the gym my headphones go down the back of my neck, not the front, due to sweat and they get in the way- so this is totally worthless to me, not to mention that I know what I want to hear in the gym- the music. I don't want voices speaking to me- that's why I wear headphones.