iPhone 3.0 adds Copy & Paste, MMS, global Spotlight search

Comments

• Reply 101 of 266
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Of course. Just as ATT loves the iPhone itself, for the mandatory data plan and how it also decreases churn and increases their net adds.

ATT loves pretty much everything about the iPhone, 'cept how much Apple charges them for the privilege...

Well at least the involuntary prolapsing goes upchain...
  • Reply 102 of 266
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:

I agree, interesting, but I think we're both aware of the self-selecting limitations of online polls. Ars Technica's readership does not equal the typical person.

Even if it did, 16% of iPhone users would still be 3 million users, and growing.

In any case, the horse is out of the barn now.

The iPhone user doesn't equal the average person either. If they did, there would be 100 million iPhones sold already.

I'm willing to bet that of the people watching the presentation, and thus, who were the people being polled, most of them were iPhone, or potential iPhone users. So I think the poll could be pretty accurate.
  • Reply 103 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

Language isn't easy to learn, but it certainly IS worth making an effort!

From the evidence of this thread... are you *sure*?
  • Reply 104 of 266
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

It's a Windows world too - going to ditch your Mac now too?

Isn't that a question for Apple defenders who like to dismiss people's requests and say "you are in a minority"?

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody need native iPhone applications. Web apps are really really SWEET.

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.
  • Reply 105 of 266
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

Well at least the involuntary prolapsing goes upchain...

This has become a pretty gross thread.

Several 'anal rape' comments, an STD reference, and now prolapsing. Gotta luv the AI community... always sweetness and light.

• Reply 106 of 266
    Quote:

This has become a pretty gross thread.

Several 'anal rape' comments, an STD reference, and now prolapsing. Gotta luv the AI community... always sweetness and light.

We're just a big bag o' special.
  • Reply 107 of 266
    jawportajawporta Posts: 140member
    Nice!!!!
  • Reply 108 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The iPhone user doesn't equal the average person either. If they did, there would be 100 million iPhones sold already.

Yes, but is the average iPhone user's profile the same as the average Ars user's profile? Tough to say, really.

Quote:

I'm willing to bet that of the people watching the presentation, and thus, who were the people being polled, most of them were iPhone, or potential iPhone users. So I think the poll could be pretty accurate.

I'm not sure that's a good bet... more like that might be a decent representation of the 'hardcore' segment of the potential iPhone user base, not necessarily a good snapshot of that base as a whole. What about all the fashionistas/status symbol users? Business guys trying to impress their colleagues? Joe Average college student? etc. etc.

But, one other question... in the Ars poll, were respondees able to pick only one item they wanted, or all the items they wanted?

If not, then they obviously chose only the item they most wanted, not all the items they did want.

• Reply 109 of 266
    bmsonbmson Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I think the complete collapse of Iceland's economy and banking system has more to do with this than Apple's choice of sales partners.

Is Iceland even a country anymore?

Just as much of a country as US of A.

These news are 6 months old, we are doing "fine" now.
  • Reply 110 of 266
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:

[size=1]Yay! FINALLY! So much for everyone who was talking up email and how MMS support was "not needed".

I'm glad you're happy, but seriously anyone who uses MMS is either too rich or too stupid to notice how much their carrier charges for it.

Most of the other announcements today were worth celebrating.
  • Reply 111 of 266
    gto65lgto65l Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

AT&T likes that you can't do math correctly.

$5.00 / 250 = $0.02 Where did YOU learn to do math?

Irony likes that you corrected someone else's math wrong...
  • Reply 112 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Isn't that a question for Apple defenders who like to dismiss people's requests and say "you are in a minority"?

It depends on just how small a minority. We see that Apple WILL give in to minorities. But it has to make business sense for them. If it costs more to do than they can get back from it, then they won't support it. That's the way business is supposed to work.

So if 8% want something, and it doesn't cost them a bundle to do it, they likely will. But if 2% want it, and it does cost a bundle, they likely won't.
  • Reply 113 of 266
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Naw, I just ignore them, let them pile up, and send my brother a bill.

Using an email -> SMS gateway from my iPhone to another phone, they have immediate delivery. I use this instead of SMS, and it works very nicely. They respond, it shows up in my email box.

If someone needs to contact me RIGHT NOW... well... they *are* using a phone...

In reality, I hope the new push features mean that we can just bypass the &*(%#@ carrier extortion completely. Push email + SMS gateway = universal and immediate.

Too nerdy for most. Plus problematic to INITIATE an exchange with you. Don't forget, the unwashed masses with their 20 entry recent contact list. If they don't save your response vontact for the SMS gateway, they'll not be able to reach you. Most people assume when they have your phone #, they text to that as well as call it.

This all depends on you pre-qualifying anyone who can reach you via your messaging kluge. That may work for you, but many (I'd guess most) people would like to be reachable by anyone, anytime, without a lot of hoops to jump through.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a new way to do instant push messaging, but most can't go cold turkey on MMS/SMS for now.
  • Reply 114 of 266
    Quote:

Yes, but is the average iPhone user's profile the same as the average Ars user's profile? Tough to say, really.

This was an Apple presentation about the new OS 3.0 software. As I said, I'm willing to bet that most of those watching it ware iPhone/iTouch owners, or those who were thinking about becoming so.

Quote:

One other question... in the Ars poll, were respondees able to pick only one item they wanted, or all the items they wanted?

If not, then they obviously chose only the item they most wanted, not all the items they did want.

The point was to pick the feature you wanted most. So 48% of people picked cut and paste as the feature they wanted most. 8% picked stereo headphones.

If you could pick more than one, in decreasing order, the poll would have been too complex for a quick poll. They would have needed an entire page of results.
  • Reply 115 of 266
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Damn Apple finally listened.
  • Reply 116 of 266
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:

Read Amorph's reply, he gets it. It is not 'needed' - there are other perfectly viable routes for sending the same data to the same devices. What it is, for those who want it, is merely convenient. And they will pay something on the order of 8200x the data rate for the privilege. Yes, that's eight-thousand two-hundred times as much. I'd rather not. In fact, I outright resent being forced to pay for some drunken idiot's 4am MMS to me because "d00d this r awsum!" and he just couldn't control himself. And he got me by mistake because of a misdial. If the carriers let me shut it off, I wouldn't have a problem with other people opting in, but I can't opt out of the extortion racket.

That $5 a month you're paying is simply extortion. I mean, why not just send me the $5 bucks instead?

It's not being a fanboi, it's realizing when you're being mugged over a barrel for no reason. I don't care *who* made the phone, SMS and MMS are pure extortion.

I don't think you pay to receive an MMS, only to send one (at least I don't pay to receive SMS only to send them with my service provider here in Canada). Otherwise that would be direct conflict of interest. Your service provider (AT&T or who ever) could spam you from anonymous phone numbers to collect cash from you. If that is the case, you should start a class action lawsuit, because of obvious conflict of interests.
  • Reply 117 of 266
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

Perhaps there were early cavemen who didn't much care for that one guy who kept making up drawings that 'meant something' which they had to remember if they wanted to understand him.

Language isn't easy to learn, but it certainly IS worth making an effort!

Look what people's writing... "It's nice, cut 'n' paste, yet it isn't anyhow important.." Isn't it exactly what you're saying?
  • Reply 118 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Isn't that a question for Apple defenders who like to dismiss people's and say "you are in a minority" when it comes to requests such as: copy and paste, MMS, video iPod, etc?

• Reply 119 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

I don't think you pay to receive an MMS, only to send one (at least I don't pay to receive SMS only to send them with my service provider here in Canada).

We pay to send and receive.

Quote:

Otherwise that would be direct conflict of interest. Your service provider (AT&T or who ever) could spam you from anonymous phone numbers to collect cash from you. If that is the case, you should start a class action lawsuit, because of obvious conflict of interests.

You'd think, but golly, SMS/MMS is *needed*, remember? \ People don't care enough.
  • Reply 120 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I'm glad you're happy, but seriously anyone who uses MMS is either too rich or too stupid to notice how much their carrier charges for it.

Most of the other announcements today were worth celebrating.

Grapes. Sour.

Don't worry, be happy. Even AIers can do that once in awhile.