iPhone 3.0 adds Copy & Paste, MMS, global Spotlight search

Comments

• Reply 81 of 266
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

On one hand, Mac users claim that they happily pay more money for Macs because of aesthetics, convenience, etc. But on the other hand, Mac users get all bent out of shape when other companies charge for convenience features. So Apple is the only company that is allowed to do whatever it wants and charge more for no reason. Mac users like telling people "If you don't like it, then don't buy it", or "It's a free market", or the typical "Nobody is holding a gun to your head." But I guess that doesn't apply to the people who say those words.

The problem is, w/ AT&T, we don't have a choice. The gun *is* pointed at our heads. We can't *not* buy the messages. That's the problem.

So no, this isn't fanboiism, this is just simply not wanting to be forced to pay for a system we haven't chosen to use.

I'll gladly pay extra *for a better product*. This ain't it.
  • Reply 82 of 266
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Feel for me then, because every month on my AT&T bill I have a little section that includes all SMS's sent to my phone, regardless of who sends them, or whether I know the person, or if it's spam... at a quarter a pop.

The 'solution' according to AT&T is to give them $5 a month. *There is no way to turn it off, reject messages, or argue with customer service*. Got it?

I pay per msg, or I give them $5 a month in protection money. Those are my choices.

So yes, I do get forced into paying for other people's fascination with getting their own rectums reamed by the carriers.

And it's only going to get worse, thanks to my &*(%#$ brother who passed out my phone number to some of his drinking buddies, who like sending pictures to each other when out drinking.

Its also quite possible his buddies have taken to sending you MMS's to draw a reaction out of you which they might find pretty hilarious while out drinking!

In defense of SMS/MMS?it is the most universal PUSH messaging service. Messages are delivered instantly, no matter what network or phone hardware the recipient uses. Sure, there are occasional service issues and it does cost money, but no other service offers its combination of universality and immediacy. Any proposed replacement can only offer one of those two features (at this time).
  • Reply 83 of 266
    iphelimiphelim Posts: 62member
    From the Q&A......

Q: Bluetooth on the iPod touch?

A: Bluetooth is a capability we can ?unlock? on the latest-gen iPod touch.
  • Reply 84 of 266
    stokessdstokessd Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The survey was about the features Apple just added.

I don't know what the percentage of who wants Flash is. We can just guess. Your number is just pulled out of the air. You really have no idea. It could be 1%, or it could be 50%. We just don't know.

The 16% was a direct quote from the people who wanted MMS and was relevant to the reply, not pulled out of the air. The only thing I was suggesting was that Flash is probably more desired than MMS.
  • Reply 85 of 266
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Well in that case...

I NEED MMS to be removed, and you to stuff it.

It's an MMS world- get used to it.

Everybody text- come on you know you like it!

Apple says - yes you can!
  • Reply 86 of 266
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,516member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They should have asked how many people want to be able to arrange their app screens through iTunes... anyone with more than 5 or 6 screens of apps is frustrated with the clumsy 'drag one app at a time' approach.

I'm not happy about that either. I have five screens of apps. I was hoping for the folder metaphor we were speaking about.

But Apple seems to think that the Spotlight feature will work there. Maybe it will, but I'm having a difficult time in picturing it. With a large, and increasing bunch of apps, I don't remember the names of all of them. Will Spotlight require that? Will we have to describe the function, such as "sports", "measurement", "book reader", etc?

It might work really well. So well that we won't need to organize the apps at all. Or so I hope!

Though I am disappointed that so far, Spotlight won't search text. I hope that's coming later.
  • Reply 87 of 266
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

are you sure thats how it works??

Quite so. "Hold finger down on bubble and it selects the entire bubble, now he can go back and paste it into email."... "Copy can also copy HTML. "I'd like to swim with the dolphins." Put the finger and it'll select the block."..."here's a message from a colleague ... Double-tap onto text and it automatically selects text."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

we are getting more and more gestures, at one moment it's going to be difficult to remember them all.

You got it perfectly. I'd better prefer not to have cut/paste for years than freeze this riff-raffle of gestures!
  • Reply 88 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

Its also quite possible his buddies have taken to sending you MMS's to draw a reaction out of you which they might find pretty hilarious while out drinking!

Naw, I just ignore them, let them pile up, and send my brother a bill.

Quote:

In defense of SMS/MMS—it is the most universal PUSH messaging service. Messages are delivered instantly, no matter what network or phone hardware the recipient uses. Sure, there are occasional service issues and it does cost money, but no other service offers its combination of universality and immediacy. Any proposed replacement can only offer one of those two features (at this time).

Using an email -> SMS gateway from my iPhone to another phone, they have immediate delivery. I use this instead of SMS, and it works very nicely. They respond, it shows up in my email box.

If someone needs to contact me RIGHT NOW... well... they *are* using a phone...

In reality, I hope the new push features mean that we can just bypass the &*(%#@ carrier extortion completely. Push email + SMS gateway = universal and immediate.
  • Reply 89 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It's an MMS world- get used to it.

Everybody text- come on you know you like it!

Apple says - yes you can!

It's a Windows world too - going to ditch your Mac now too?
  • Reply 90 of 266
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

For those of you who like to give your carrier extra money for no reason, you have MMS.

Well done. You managed to squeeze out a negative angle. There's always shit when you look hard enough.
  • Reply 91 of 266
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

It's interesting that in an online, realtime, survey that ARs Technica did during the conference, 48% wanted cut and paste, and 16% wanted MMS, right after the 19% who wanted a landscape keyboard.

Then 10% for the new syncing, and 8% for stereo headphones.

That was interesting.

I agree, interesting, but I think we're both aware of the self-selecting limitations of online polls. Ars Technica's readership does not equal the typical person.

Even if it did, 16% of iPhone users would still be 3 million users, and growing.

In any case, the horse is out of the barn now.

• Reply 92 of 266
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

It's not a problem.

In the end, Apple is a business. They tried to explain that you don't need MMS, and people don't, not if they have a good phone anyway.

But, according to the just done today survey from Ars Technica, 16% of people do want it, so Apple gave in.

Wrong- your post should read:

Quote:

They tried to explain that you don't need MMS, and people didn't buy it!

• Reply 93 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I agree, interesting, but I think we're both aware of the self-selecting limitations of online polls. Ars Technica's readership does not equal the typical person.

Even if it did, 16% of iPhone users would still be 3 million users, and growing.

Well that's $15million/month to the carriers... you know they love this...
  • Reply 94 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

The 16% was a direct quote from the people who wanted MMS and was relevant to the reply, not pulled out of the air. The only thing I was suggesting was that Flash is probably more desired than MMS.

I don't get what you mean. Direct quote from whom? I was talking about the Ars survey. I didn't see anything about flash quoted there. They had the areas I mentioned. Was there a link to another page with the quote you said you have?
  • Reply 95 of 266
    Apple calls this innovation?

A Special event to announce MMS and Copy & Paste? You got to be Joking.

The lack of Video still.... I guess iPhone 4.0 and they will announce another big event.

I can tell you one thing... They won't be selling 10 million iPhone 3rd Gen...

Apple is lost.
  • Reply 96 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Wrong- your post should read:

You can be silly if you want to. I gave you the benefit of a serious answer.
  • Reply 97 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Apple calls this innovation?

A Special event to announce MMS and Copy & Paste? You got to be Joking.

The lack of Video still.... I guess iPhone 4.0 and they will announce another big event.

I can tell you one thing... They won't be selling 10 million iPhone 3rd Gen...

Apple is lost.

I hope this is in jest, because otherwise, it's just strange.
  • Reply 98 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Before anybody else makes anymore idiot comments, perhaps the feed Macworld is putting out now will educate your syphilitic brains.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1394...tml?lsrc=top_1

Abster, keep it down please. Your post was reported.
  • Reply 99 of 266
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

Well that's $15million/month to the carriers... you know they love this...

Of course. Just as ATT loves the iPhone itself, for the mandatory data plan and how it also decreases churn and increases their net adds.

ATT loves pretty much everything about the iPhone, 'cept how much Apple charges them for the privilege...

• Reply 100 of 266
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member

Perhaps there were early cavemen who didn't much care for that one guy who kept making up drawings that 'meant something' which they had to remember if they wanted to understand him.

Language isn't easy to learn, but it certainly IS worth making an effort!