iPhone 3.0 adds Copy & Paste, MMS, global Spotlight search

Comments

• Reply 41 of 266
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sausage&Onion View Post

Damn. How much is AT&T going to fuck me for MMS support, I wonder? I hope to Christ that its not a mandatory part of the plan. Even better would be the ability to disable MMS entirely. If I'm not paying for them and then someone sends me one, I dont want to pay 2 bucks because I decided that I dont want in. Oh well. Im fairly surprised about the bluetooth. That's surprising.

Pretty much everything on the list aside from flash got hit. Amazing! Not bad Apple, its been a while since I've left one of these things without feeling disappointed.

Is there really any need for bad language?
  • Reply 42 of 266
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

MMS is ridiculous, but there it is. .

Must not be dat- cause Apple says it's not anymore.
  • Reply 43 of 266
    wait. So now when I double tap in a text field it will no longer zoom? I love double tap to zoom. Way more effective than pinching.

How's it gonna know when I want to edit text versus zoom?
  • Reply 44 of 266
    Nice to see Apple finally eat a big slice of humble (apple!) pie and add MMS. About time! I have no interest in using it, but there's still no excuse for not having this from the word go for the many people who do use it! Some networks in the UK include MMS in the standard text allowance, so it costs a lot of people no more or less to send MMS.
  • Reply 45 of 266
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Turbo View Post

SPOTLIGHT! Awesome! Even if I have to put all my memos/documents etc into 1 giant Notes folder, will still be a huge step up from today.

Actually, being able to synchronize Notes back to iTunes is much more important. On average, these are fantastic updates across the board. Especially for developers!
  • Reply 46 of 266
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

And there you have it. And that was good enough for many ppl to want it, and for Apple to include it.

Don't like it? Take it up with them, I guess.

*facepalm*

I don't care if it has it. I just don't want to be extorted into paying for it, because a chronic case of herdthink has everyone else brainwashed into thinking it's the neatest thing since sliced bread, and that, well *gee golly* *everyone* has it, right? It's like dealing with Windows droids all over again.

Clear?

If AT&T let me shut the damned thing off, I would have zero issue with it. As it was, I didn't have to worry about it. Now I do. If someone wants to use it, fine, let them - it's still an asinine assraping that gets you zero functionality over and above what was already there, but just let me shut the idiotic thing off.

The update gets a strong two thumbs up from this guy.
  • Reply 47 of 266
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:

Yah, that was the one major bummer. Ya gotta have the 3G model. Not a nice thing for many.

It'll help drive the upgrade cycle, tho', eh? Eval.

Do phones not on a 3G network send pictures? I've never used it, so I don't know. 3G is the reason Apple is giving, so I was wondering.
  • Reply 48 of 266
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancm2000 View Post

wait. So now when I double tap in text field it will no longer zoom. I love double tap to zoom. Way more effective than pinching.

How's it gonna know when I want to edit text versus zoom?

The user is supposed to remember:
    1. (s)he should double tap where (s)he edits something;

2. (s)he should tap and hold read only text

!!#$#%^$*^&%^&*^&()*()_*()(+_+++
  • Reply 49 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sausage&Onion View Post

Damn. How much is AT&T going to fuck me for MMS support, I wonder?

You mean - how much more is AT&T....

AT&T has been F'n you as soon as you bought it - rates next to the bottom of the list for reception in 3 out of 4 regions.
  • Reply 50 of 266
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Great preview! I'm looking forward to the release and free update. A slew of great features and apps!
  • Reply 51 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Too much anal raping??

is there a comeback to that
  • Reply 52 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Nice to see Apple finally eat a big slice of humble (apple!) pie and add MMS. About time! I have no interest in using it, but there's still no excuse for not having this from the word go for the many people who do use it! Some networks in the UK include MMS in the standard text allowance, so it costs a lot of people no more or less to send MMS.

I can't wait to read how all the fanboys defend and explain this about face.
  • Reply 53 of 266
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:

Apple does not appear to agree.

What are you talking about? Ever see a messaging plan? I have one, 250 msgs/month for five bucks. As little as two pennies a msg. Oh noooo, I feel so 'anally-raped'... yeesh. Talk about drama-queening.

AT&T likes that you can't do math correctly.
  • Reply 54 of 266
    Quote:

Hahahahaha, so true, Haggar, so true.

I'm so tired of the "Apple didn't put it in, so we don't NEED it" rationalizations. It's so very fanboi, and it gets blown up for the lunacy it is on days like today.

There's a difference between "need" something, and "want" something. Those two words don't always coincide.
  • Reply 55 of 266
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

*facepalm*

I don't care if it has it. I just don't want to be extorted into paying for it, because a chronic case of herdthink has everyone else brainwashed into thinking it's the neatest thing since sliced bread, and that, well *gee golly* *everyone* has it, right? It's like dealing with Windows droids all over again.

Sigh. Do we have any evidence at all yet that you're going to be FORCED into paying extra for it, mandatorily-speaking?

If yes, then I do feel for ya.

If no, then you're face-palming prematurely, jack.

• Reply 56 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Unfortunately, we're not so lucky in the US. We can't shut it off, and we get charged 0.25 per message unless we 'opt-in' to a $5/mon addition to our plan. It's just extortion.
  • Reply 57 of 266
    Quote:

Sigh. Do we have any evidence at all yet that you're going to be FORCED into paying extra for it, mandatorily-speaking?

Feel for me then, because every month on my AT&T bill I have a little section that includes all SMS's sent to my phone, regardless of who sends them, or whether I know the person, or if it's spam... at a quarter a pop.

The 'solution' according to AT&T is to give them $5 a month. *There is no way to turn it off, reject messages, or argue with customer service*. Got it?

I pay per msg, or I give them $5 a month in protection money. Those are my choices.

So yes, I do get forced into paying for other people's fascination with getting their own rectums reamed by the carriers.

And it's only going to get worse, thanks to my &*(%#$ brother who passed out my phone number to some of his drinking buddies, who like sending pictures to each other when out drinking.
  • Reply 58 of 266
    Quote:

That could be said about any feature the iPhone has, frankly.

Fact is, ppl wanted it, it's in, and everybody's happy. 'Cept those who drank the "mobile email is going to take over 100% completely in a year or so" kool-aid, and can't handle that MMS is going to be around for awhile. And popular too.

The Apple Community?- The only place crazy enough where some ppl get mad because a popular, ubiquitous mainstream feature was included, instead of excluded.

It's interesting that in an online, realtime, survey that ARs Technica did during the conference, 48% wanted cut and paste, and 16% wanted MMS, right after the 19% who wanted a landscape keyboard.

Then 10% for the new syncing, and 8% for stereo headphones.

That was interesting.
  • Reply 59 of 266
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

There's a difference between "need" something, and "want" something. Those two words don't always coincide.

Thing is, no two ppl agree down the line what is "want" and what is "need", and would rather choose for themselves which is which.

You might not need MMS, but many others feel differently. Is your definition of need then to be imposed upon them? Or should my definition then be imposed upon you?

I think we'd agree, no and no.

• Reply 60 of 266
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

The user is supposed to remember:
    1. (s)he should double tap where (s)he edits something;

2. (s)he should tap and hold read only text

!!#$#%^$*^&%^&*^&()*()_*()(+_+++

are you sure thats how it works??

we are getting more and more gestures, at one moment it's going to be difficult to remember them all.