iPod shuffle sales surge 50% as iPod touch maintains top slot

Comments

• Reply 21 of 117
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shagghie View Post

bought my fiance a new one, and myself a red 2nd gen shuffle...thinking I couldn't live without the controls.

A week later, and I'm enthralled by the new shuffle and wished I had bought one.

Yesterday, she told me while at the gym, the new shuffle is 'so freeing' while on the treadmill and in the gym. No need to look down, navigate, or even LOCATE the device... and you can select from multiple playlists immediately...something I can't do my 2nd gen shuffle.

Put another way, the new talking shuffles are bad ass, and only 'suck' until you actually own one...take it from me... a first hand convert whose red 2nd gen shuffle is already collecting dust...

And boom . . .

Your fiancee is the perfect example of the average user. Apple designs products with people like her in mind. And thank goodness for that.
  • Reply 22 of 117
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Please post the scintillating reviews of Vista by the tech community just prior to release. Your only problem with that will be trying to fit all the link into one post.

The only sure way to judge the success of the shuffle is to wait at least 6 months after release.

I could care less about Vista.

But talk about comparing Apples and Oranges:a software review vs a hardware review? Come on!
  • Reply 23 of 117
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Saying a product sucks carries a lot more weight if you actually buy one and use it. Playing with it in the store doesn't count for much. Forming an opinion second-hand based on the opinions of others isn't much better. Oftentimes when something is new and different, we don't like it at first, but with time and experience we learn to love it. Perhaps Techstud could merely say that it strikes him that the idea of it sucks. That leaves room for redemption.
  • Reply 24 of 117
    Quote:

And boom . . .

Your fiancee is the perfect example of the average user. Apple designs products with people like her in mind. And thank goodness for that.

Right and wait til she/he snags their headphones on a peice of equipment and they break.
  • Reply 25 of 117
    Quote:

How is it not a simplified iPod?

I said for a Shuffle.

Read a review and find out.
  • Reply 26 of 117
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Right and wait til she/he snags their headphones on a peice of equipment and they break.

Because that's a HUGE problem.
  • Reply 27 of 117
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 706member
    Quote:

It does suck. That's not a whine or a complaint but a fact.

No, that would be an "opinion". It is however a fact that you *believe* it sucks.
  • Reply 28 of 117
    finewinefinewine Posts: 92member
    The 8G Touch and the 120G Classic lead the field. Fact is, Apple is lagging in capacity. Yeah, I get it they want to move to flash, but flash still does not have affordable large capacity. You go to 32G and the price shoots up out of reach for most consumers. And there are plenty who want large capacity - that's why the 120G is a top seller... I bought one too, and I would've bought a bigger one had the they offered one. Apple has actually gone BACK in capacity from 160G to 120G.. WRONG DIRECTION APPLE!!! The right direction is MORE not less capacity. There are plenty who want more, and Apple is missing that market.
  • Reply 29 of 117
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

I could care less about Vista.

But talk about comparing Apples and Oranges:a software review vs a hardware review? Come on!

You really don't get it do you? He was referring to the fact that just because the tech press praises or criticizes something doesn't mean that it is so.
  • Reply 30 of 117
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Techstud, if I said you were an idiot because everyone else on the thread said so, would that be a fact or opinion?
  • Reply 31 of 117
    Quote:

All ipods have headphones so they can all get snagged! It's really not that difficult to slip the cord under your shirt so it doesn't catch on anything.

I have an iphone and when I'm walking around i always listen to music and answer phones calls using the cord controls. It is extremely convenient.

A friend invited me to the gym the other day and i used my 2nd G shuffle and it was a pain in the ass trying to use the controls on it while on the treadmill. I ended up not even using it.

The cord controls are simply far easier to use.
  • Reply 32 of 117
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

Whaaaat? Every iPod ever made has come with headphones that could snag on something. What's your point?
  • Reply 33 of 117
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

It does suck. That's not a whine or a complaint but a fact.

But Teckstud, you hate everything from Apple. LOL
  • Reply 34 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Techstud, if I said you were an idiot because everyone else on the thread said so, would that be a fact or opinion?

It would be a fact irregardless of the majority opinion :-P
  • Reply 35 of 117
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Most people who would buy a shuffle won't be replacing the headphones. The fact that the stock headphones come with a remote is a feature to them, and I would imagine most people actually interested in the shuffle wont care about the lack of physical buttons.

But there is a market for third party headphones, even for the shuffle, and because Apple controls so much of the market, third party manufacturers will hapily produce new headphone models with in line remotes. In time there will be plenty on the market, as well as adptors to add a remote to your existing headphones. What is significant about this is that all the new ipods work with this remote as well. So when you are looking for new headphones for your ipod touch (or whatever) next year, you will have the buttonless shuffle to thank for all the new headphones with inline remotes available to you. I don't know the details on this remote setup, could it be licenced to other mp3 player manufacturers? If so you could see a new headphone standard emerge with virtually all mp3 players supporting these remotes, that would be a pretty big deal and would make it easier to control all your media.

Looking at the big picture, I don't think Apple was only thinking of the shuffle when they took its buttons away, not many companies can invoke change like Apple can.
  • Reply 36 of 117
    Quote:

Right...starting now, it is advised that no portable music devices should be allowed into the gym, especially not light weight miniature groundbreaking ones that can clip to your bra strap and rock your world while you are working out while the gasshat next to you is trying to unlock his zune screensaver between sets.
  • Reply 37 of 117
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shagghie View Post

bought my fiance a new one, and myself a red 2nd gen shuffle...thinking I couldn't live without the controls.

A week later, and I'm enthralled by the new shuffle and wished I had bought one.

Yesterday, she told me while at the gym, the new shuffle is 'so freeing' while on the treadmill and in the gym. No need to look down, navigate, or even LOCATE the device... and you can select from multiple playlists immediately...something I can't do my 2nd gen shuffle.

Put another way, the new talking shuffles are bad ass, and only 'suck' until you actually own one...take it from me... a first hand convert whose red 2nd gen shuffle is already collecting dust...

Cool. I could use a new iPod.
  • Reply 38 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Robin and MacNYC- If Apple said to drink some Koolaid out of your iPod HIFI cooler- would you do it?
  • Reply 39 of 117
    [QUOTE=teckstud;1396956]How many times do I have to post the link of the bad reviews for the new Shuffle for you? I can't help it you are in denial or refuse to read what's been written. Show me a glowing review then. Come on- show me one , and one that's not biased.

Apparently you need someone else to tell you what is good and what is bad. I am fully capable of determining that myself. I certainly don't heed much attention to the tech press that either hates Apple or just doesn't get it.

I love the cord controls on my in-ear headphones that I use with my iphone. I only wish that the volume controls worked for it.
  • Reply 40 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

But Teckstud, you hate everything from Apple. LOL

I love my Touch and so do many others apparently.