iPod shuffle sales surge 50% as iPod touch maintains top slot

Comments

• Reply 61 of 117
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Ya that 32GB iPod Touch is pretty expensive. Its not really gonna hit in this economy. This might even make apple not to put 32GB in iPhone. Dunno.
  • Reply 62 of 117
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

Ok, fantastic, you love it.

Now tell me how I play music off my stereo with it, and I'll apologise.

Jimzip

I must have missed the part where I said I loved it. I don't. Nor do I hate it. I don't know it. That was my entire point. Let those who have actually used the damn thing long enough to give a fair response have the debate. Those of us who haven't should just sit on the sidelines and listen, and not make "it sucks" pronouncements.
  • Reply 63 of 117
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:

Ok, fantastic, you love it.

Now tell me how I play music off my stereo with it, and I'll apologise.

Jimzip

Why purchase a product if you know it doesn't have the features you want? For example, if I wanted a machine that would encode video quickly, I wouldn't buy a netbook.
  • Reply 64 of 117
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I must have missed the part where I said I loved it. I don't. Nor do I hate it. I don't know it. That was my entire point. Let those who have actually used the damn thing long enough to give a fair response have the debate. Those of us who haven't should just sit on the sidelines and listen, and not make "it sucks" pronouncements.

That's totally fair, but I never said it sucks, I just said a huge design fault was the controls being on the headphones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Why purchase a product if you know it doesn't have the features you want? For example, if I wanted a machine that would encode video quickly, I wouldn't buy a netbook.

I don't know why you quoted me there... I didn't buy one, nor will I. I've tried one, and realised the flaws. That's generally what people should do before purchasing something, no?

Jimzip
  • Reply 65 of 117
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    [QUOTE=Jimzip;1397031]That's totally fair, but I never said it sucks, I just said a huge design fault was the controls being on the headphones.

That's actually looking like a big plus. It's pretty much the major feature of the device. It was intended.

But we'll see the real results a few months from now.
  • Reply 66 of 117
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Up next: Ebert and Roeper critique movies they haven't seen yet.
  • Reply 67 of 117
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Note the sales for the 32GB iPod Touch. The distinct minority are screaming for 64GB and 128GB models.

I'd love to see the breakdown of iPhone sales, by model.
  • Reply 68 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Quote:

That's totally fair, but I never said it sucks, I just said a huge design fault was the controls being on the headphones.

That's actually looking like a big plus. It's pretty much the major feature of the device. It was intended.

Ok. How does it look like a big plus?

(And of course it was intended, otherwise it wouldn't have been released.)

I see the merits of the gimmick; I love the thought and the idea behind the voice navigation, I just think it was implemented the wrong way. Explain to me the solution to the problem I posed, whereby the device is useless without the Apple headphones it comes with, and I'll agree that this device is genius, and a step forward.

Jimzip
  • Reply 69 of 117
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

I see the merits of the gimmick; I love the thought and the idea behind the voice navigation, I just think it was implemented the wrong way. Explain to me the solution to the problem I posed, whereby the device is useless without the Apple headphones it comes with, and I'll agree that this device is genius, and a step forward.

Jimzip

You do the same what you usually do when you lose or damage any iPod headphones. Buy new one for $30 or buy third party adapters and use regular headphones. Third party adapters are in their way I believe.
  • Reply 70 of 117
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    I'm just annoyed that the default headphones that come with the iPod Shuffle fit so crappily in my ear. You have to upgrade to the in-ear version to get a decent fit (and I'm not sure those support all of the Shuffle's functions).

Plus, who really wants headphones that cost as much as the player itself? It just doesn't sit well with me.
  • Reply 71 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You do the same what you usually do when you lose or damage any iPod headphones. Buy new one for $30 or buy third party adapters and use regular headphones. Third party adapters are in their way I believe.

That ain't a big plus to me ... but whatever, at least replacements are only $30. :/ (I thought they were $79, but that's just the in-ear ones. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA850?mco=MTIyNzA)

That said, you shouldn't need an adapter to use this product with something else. You have to agree with me there.

I was endlessly annoyed when I bought my 1st gen iPhone and couldn't use anything with it because the earphone jack was sunk into the device. I had to buy an adapter for that and it's a pain in the neck let me tell you. That's not good design. Apple realised this and fixed it with the iPhone 3G.

This is the reason this limitation irks me, Apple's products are usually so well thought out and polished.

Jimzip
  • Reply 72 of 117
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

That ain't a big plus to me ... but whatever, at least replacements are only $30. :/ (I thought they were $79, but that's just the in-ear ones. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA850?mco=MTIyNzA)

That said, you shouldn't need an adapter to use this product with something else. You have to agree with me there.

I was endlessly annoyed when I bought my 1st gen iPhone and couldn't use anything with it because the earphone jack was sunk into the device. I had to buy an adapter for that and it's a pain in the neck let me tell you. That's not good design. Apple realised this and fixed it with the iPhone 3G.

This is the reason this limitation irks me, Apple's products are usually so well thought out and polished.

Jimzip

It might be inconvenient for some people but in general the average buyer stick with whatever comes with his MP3. Telling you the truth, I liked the recessed jacks in the original iPhone because they were solid all around the jack. Every time my 3G iPhone headphones are pulled laterally in my pocket I worry about the casing getting cracked. Cracked headphone jacks were reported for the 3G iPhone on many threads including AI. You can tell I am not an audio person.
  • Reply 73 of 117
    Quote:

It might be inconvenient for some people but in general the average buyer stick with whatever comes with his MP3. Telling you the truth, I liked the recessed jacks in the original iPhone because they were solid all around the jack. Every time my 3G iPhone headphones are pulled laterally my pocket I worry about the case getting cracked. Cracked headphone jacks were reported for the 3G iPhone on many threads including AI. You can tell I am not an audio person.

I know! It looked so nice with the Apple earphones meeting the metal, those headphones were the perfect size.

Jimzip
  • Reply 74 of 117
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Jimzip

Why would you use the device without the Apple headphones? Using the Apple headphones is the whole point. The solution . . . is to use the Apple headphones. Why would you want to use anything else?

Don't lose them, I suppose. Then again, you can get a replacement set from Apple.

You'll eventually be able to use third party adapters made for the Shuffle. I don't see a problem.
  • Reply 75 of 117
    tomahawktomahawk Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Yep, and when the dock was introduced on the iPod you couldn't use anything with it. Now look at the market. Seriously, in two years the audio in jacks in most cars could include the components needed to be able to use the forward and reverse buttons on your stereo to control your shuffle, iphone, ipod touch, etc. as long as you have the right cable.

Give it six months and see what your options are before you sit and complain!
  • Reply 76 of 117
    Whatev. Done!

Jimzip
  • Reply 77 of 117
    haro!haro! Posts: 32member
    I think the new Shuffle is quite awesome, though it took some getting used to compare to the previous versions. It's good to see that it did well.
  • Reply 78 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

How many times do I have to post the link of the bad reviews for the new Shuffle for you? I can't help it you are in denial or refuse to read what's been written. Show me a glowing review then. Come on- show me one , and one that's not biased.

Added: And I've stated and well as countless others have numerous times that the Shuffle was once synonmous with a simplified iPod and that this one is not.

1) I've seen you post a link as a a reply to someone's post, but I haven't clicked on it. I have absolutely no interest in going to another site to read an article just because you have hyperlinked it. You don't post your own pro and con views of the article, you don't summerize the author's general view or quote a paragraph that sums up the point you are trying to push. You just plop a link down as a replay and somehow expect your post to being as a serious post.

2) For all the negative reviews and "my friends all agree" postings you can muster I can find just as many on the opposite end. I implore you to post a balanced comment every once in a while.

3) Nothing is unbiased, but these negative takes on x-product you post are often from anti-x-company sites and authors or, more often, a balanced article that you have personally focused on only seeing the negative aspects that are mentioned. Never seeing the other, positive comments that are stated about the product. What it all comes down to is if the product fits your needs or not. That does make a product bad or good in any way shape or form, it only means it's not the right product for you if it does not meet your needs.
  • Reply 79 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Watch out!! You might be a cool aid kid because you only buy what you need from Apple without complaining and believe in customers choice and product diversity.

To be non cool aid kid you have to buy every Apple product and start whining about each and every one of them all over the threads (even thought you knew they lack the features you complain about before you bought them) . Furthermore, you need to complain about Apple computers refusal to add specific technologies and keep buying them anyway!!

It's ironic that Teckstudian logic states that if you buy an Apple product you don't like and/or don't need you are someone normal, but if you need and/or like a product that Apple makes you are a fanboy.
  • Reply 80 of 117
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 706member
    Quote:

If the controls for the device are on the headphones, what happens if the headphones break, or get lost? You're looking at $80 to replace them.

The standard (shipping with the Shuffle) ones are the same $29 I have for my Touch and work perfectly in the new Shuffle. If she then *also* bought the $79 in-ear and snags them then yes, she's out $79. But anyone who is in constant danger of snagging their headphones on something would be ill advised to buy $79 headphones or a 4th Gen Shuffle and $79 remote headset.