iPod shuffle sales surge 50% as iPod touch maintains top slot

Comments

• Reply 81 of 117
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

If she then *also* bought the $79 in-ear and snags them then yes, she's out $79. But anyone who is in constant danger of snagging their headphones on something would be ill advised to buy $79 headphones or a 4th Gen Shuffle and $79 remote headset.

So to put it simply - they're not practical/durable for exercising / gym wear.
  • Reply 82 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's ironic that Teckstudian logic states that if you buy an Apple product you don't like and/or don't need you are someone normal, but if you need and/or like a product that Apple makes you are a fanboy.

NO-My belief is that you and your ilk would never disagree with anything Apple manufactured, no matter how unpractical or poorly made it is. You simply lick the Kool-Aid Jello out of the Apple bowl daily- nonstop. Solipsism is obviously as very pathetic philosophy- it can't think for itself and frequently resorts to denial..
  • Reply 83 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

T-stud and friend: If failing to condemn a product based on second-hand reviews while sales are exceeding expectations makes me a Kool-Aid drinker, pass the Grape please.

Listen, I've bought, used, liked, loved, or been disappointed by Apple products since the first Mac. Most are great, some are okay, and a few have been wanting. I've never been shy about dissing an Apple product that didn't make me glad I bought it. But to trash something you have no personal experience with and expect others to line up and sign on to unfounded criticism is just lame.

WTF are you talking about? I tested the damn thing the day they were delivered to the Apple store. Get your head out of your a$$.
  • Reply 84 of 117
    ireality85ireality85 Posts: 316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Boy, does this fly in the face of the predictions of most of the so-called analysts out there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

All the whiners complained about the new shuffle..saying it sucks...guess they were wrong about that too. Looks like people do want the new shuffle. I am quite happy with my 2nd Gen Shuffle and iPod 160 Classic. No need to upgrade.

Not really, just that people will buy anything if its new and fashionable; not necessarily if its functional.

And I seriously don't understand how the new Shuffle's arrangement makes working out at the gym any easier in terms of music player control. Maybe if you were walking on a treadmill. I don't know about you, but whenever I run, my earphone cords bounce and bob and move all over the place, and that would make the 4G Shuffle controls annoying. That's why the Shuffle has featured a clip- to make it easily accessible (or armbands if you have a larger iPod). Fact remains, the new control scheme is awful.
  • Reply 85 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Why purchase a product if you know it doesn't have the features you want? For example, if I wanted a machine that would encode video quickly, I wouldn't buy a netbook.

Right- I want a phone that texts pics and message and records video like every other phone since 2005 so I would never buy the iPhone as it has been for the last 2 years.

But I love my Touch.
  • Reply 86 of 117
    duecesdueces Posts: 89member
    In other news. Returns of shuffles have shot up 2,000% and is on track to be the most returned ipod ever by the time it is 3 months old.
  • Reply 87 of 117
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    You're all missing a huge issue here. The reason he mentioned the girl is screwed when the headphones break. Think about it, it's the reason I think this new revision is seriously flawed, and in fact the last generation of iPod Shuffle was perfect.

If the controls for the device are on the headphones, what happens if the headphones break, or get lost? You're looking at $80 to replace them.

More importantly, how exactly do I plug this iPod into my stereo? How can I use my own headphones? I own some noise-cancelling bose headphones, they're useless with this device.

The design, in my opinion, was an ill choice on Apple's part, which sounded good in the office 'Let's make it smaller', but in practice actually made it less intuitive. The same functionality could have been achieved if the controls had been placed on the device.

Design for the sake of design is useless. Which is why I'm so surprised Apple went the way it did with this iPod.

Jimzip [/QUOTE]

You're missing the point, the headphones are an integral part of the shuffle not an accessory. There are 3rd party headphones coming out.

As for losing headphones? LOL. That was the argument against the nano and the shuffle when they first came out, that they were too small and you would lose them.

There is a cable to connect the shuffle, the last generation had a cable too, nothing new there!

All these people who complain about the controls on the cord have obviously never used them. I use the controls on the cord with my iphone everyday and i would hate not to have them!
  • Reply 88 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I like the new Shuffle and think it was a nice step forward.

My wife and I simply cannot buy it, however, until there are compatible third party earbuds. The Apple ones simply won't stay in her ears. They fit somewhat better in mine, but they tend to fall out if I move and I can't stand the poor sound.

Are the Apple in-ear headphones compatible with the new Shuffle? Last time I looked the Apple Store didn't list the 3G Shuffle as a compatible iPod.

They are compatible, but at $79 they seem a bit expensive just to use with the Shuffle. I use mine with my 2G Shuffle, iPhone and MacBook. The controls and mic even work on the newer Macs. For the price they are priced fairly, but the bass could be higher.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

NO-My belief is that you and your ilk would never disagree with anything Apple manufactured, no matter how unpractical or poorly made it is. You simply lick the Kool-Aid Jello out of the Apple bowl daily- nonstop. Solipsism is obviously as very pathetic philosophy- it can't think for itself and frequently resorts to denial..

Why would I disagree with anything Apple's manufactures? If a product fits my needs I buy it, if it doesn't I don't. I don't disagree with a company simply because it's not catering directly to my specific needs. If they broke laws, acted in an unjust manner and took advantage of people then I will disagree with a company.

Me and my 'ilk" have posted on these board many things that we like AND dislike about products that many companies make, but that doesn't mean that we focus only the things we don't like and hate companies and CEOs because of it. I've posted several times that I think the Zune 2.0 is a solid device for a MS HW/SW combo and that I have a HP media server running Windows Home Server. I've posted pros and cons of each on these forums and others, but you seem to only want to look at one narrow view of everything instead of stepping back to see the larger picture. To each their own, but don't make stuff up.

PS: You seem to dancing very closely to a banning with your personal attacks today. You may want to put the kibosh on that just to be on the safe side.
  • Reply 89 of 117
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

I hear it's a favorite among Lilliputians.

doing well there I hear
  • Reply 90 of 117
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

So to put it simply - they're not practical/durable for exercising / gym wear.

Uh, no.

Simply put they have headphones like every other MP3 player.

It's not hard to keep them in your ears.

Again, third parties will be making compatible sets.

(BTW, are you the same "teckstud" from Neowin?)
  • Reply 91 of 117
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

I'm wondering how old you are and what you do for a living.
  • Reply 92 of 117
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

I'm wondering how old you are and what you do for a living.

• Reply 93 of 117
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shagghie View Post

No need to look down, navigate, or even LOCATE the device... and you can select from multiple playlists immediately...something I can't do my 2nd gen shuffle.

So she struggled to find a good sized set of buttons attached to herself bouncing up and down while she runs, but manages to find a small button (well smaller than my finger) on a wire bouncing up and down while she runs?
  • Reply 94 of 117
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    I like how the article said that sales shot up 50%, but didn't give any actual units sold, so it may be a 50 percent increase, from nothing, to something more than nothing, who knows, given the emptiness of the actual stats.

Besides, anything new is going to get a slight bump, and the rest of the iPod sales make some sense, given the state of the economy, and market saturation.
  • Reply 95 of 117
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

I like how the article said that sales shot up 50%, but didn't give any actual units sold, so it may be a 50 percent increase, from nothing, to something more than nothing, who knows, given the emptiness of the actual stats.

150% of nothing is zero, dude.

And it's the third best-selling iPod at the moment. For a player aimed at a relatively niche audience, whose potential won't be fulfilled until third-party headphones and adapters come out, that's not bad.
  • Reply 96 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Fact remains, the new control scheme is awful.

The stock earbuds are not "the control scheme." The controls could be very different on every single pair of third-party headphones or adapter offered for this thing.

Runners might love the stock earbuds and not needing to fumble around to find the right button, but okay, so you (understandably) hate the one-button control? Buy a set with dedicated forward and back buttons, then. (Remember that chip all the alarmists were saying was for hardware DRM and wasn't? THAT is the control scheme.)

You want behind the ear ones? They made them for the 2nd gen, and this is even smaller, so it won't look nearly as stupid.

You could build headphones into a motorcycle helmet and stick one of these in it, for God's sake — because it's tiny, and because it doesn't have any unnecessary controls on the actual player.

Granted, none of those accessories exist — yet — and that's how things always go. You need a successful product out on the market before a lot of the accessory makers are going to support it.

This product has heaps of potential. If, in one year, nothing like that exists — then I'll agree that the new Shuffle kind of sucks. Until then, as far as I'm concerned, all bitchers and moaners like teckstud just have no imagination.
  • Reply 97 of 117
    So much for the gripers who couldn't believe anyone would buy it because of the remote being part of the headphones. It's an iPod, people will buy it just to be the first to have one. The Sansa Clip beat the new Shuffle hands down in features, but sales are not going to jump up 50% for the Sansa Clip. I'm sure the Sansa Clip is a better value than the iPod Shuffle, but I'd still buy the Shuffle because I'm a Mac user. I'm sure it doesn't make much sense to SanDisk since their product is somewhat better, but some people just buy on account of brand loyalty.
  • Reply 98 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

The Sansa Clip beat the new Shuffle hands down in features, but sales are not going to jump up 50% for the Sansa Clip. I'm sure the Sansa Clip is a better value than the iPod Shuffle, but I'd still buy the Shuffle because I'm a Mac user. I'm sure it doesn't make much sense to SanDisk since their product is somewhat better, but some people just buy on account of brand loyalty.

Value is perceived, but from my POV I'd say the Sansa is a considerably better value for anyone who doesn't use iTunes. For me, the size, lack of device features and the integration with iTunes are all features that make my 2G Shuffle a better option for me than other options at lower prices.
  • Reply 99 of 117
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

How many times do I have to post the link of the bad reviews for the new Shuffle for you? I can't help it you are in denial or refuse to read what's been written. Show me a glowing review then. Come on- show me one , and one that's not biased.

Added: And I've stated and well as countless others have numerous times that the Shuffle was once synonmous with a simplified iPod and that this one is not.

Well there are a couple of glowing reviews in some of the 'non-bad' ones listed below:
    I really can't quite understand why in every post you create, they are always so anti-Apple. Every one of them. Surely you can't begrudge Apple or anybody that decides to support one of the new shuffles. Afterall, you still have 28 other iPods, re form, functionality, color and size, to select from.
  • Reply 100 of 117
    But... those are all biased!

Dude, your time is better spent arguing with God than with Teckstud. God will actually listen and even changes his mind once in a while.