Microsoft's Lauren ad faked say bloggers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 187
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    No commercial is real. That goes for every company. Including Apple"s famous 30 sec Ad showing the iPhone doing super fast things. In real life it's 4x slower. So microsoft has every right to do an Ad as such.
  • Reply 22 of 187
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djdj View Post

In all fairness, have all of Apple's ads been 100% honest? Certainly not.

Can you do everything on an iPhone in 30 seconds that they show on the ad? Nope.

Are all of the "facts" stated in the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads accurate? Certainly not.

Do MacBook Pros really get 8 hours of battery life in real-world use? No.

Let's not get nitpicky over a few details when Apple themselves haven't been exactly 100% forthcoming in their ads either. It's advertising; it's the way it is done.

DEAD WRONG. All of Apple's ads are honest, especially because they don't pretend to be someone else in disguise. MS's is illegal advertisement punishable in many countries, and VERY different from what any honest company does.

Everything that is said in the PC x Mac ads is AT LEAST correct yet biased information (even if it doesn't mean that you will always get a virus on a PC).

For the batteries, EVERY Apple website disclaims CLEARLY the limitations of battery life, or the fact they LAST UP TO 8 hours, not always 8 hours.

As for the iPhone, there IS a disclaimer on the commercial saying that some actions might take longer than 30 secs...so check your facts before posting, please.
  • Reply 23 of 187
    nw3227nw3227 Posts: 16member
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose:

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/02/03/bu...isleading.html
  • Reply 24 of 187
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryanhauer View Post

It's clear from her website's news page that even she was somewhat deceived by M$ ...

You shouldn't believe everything you read on the web though.

If you think about it for a second, there is no way Lauren could have been fooled into thinking it was a "market research survey" beyond the point at which she showed up for the first shoot. She probably knew about it even sooner than that.

The ad clearly shows actors walking back and forth on the sidewalk when she enters the Apple store and the same actors again, when she leaves it. If she was being fooled into thinking it was market research, the actors should have tipped her off. If they were really trying hard to fool her (doubtful), they would have even filmed the scenes in sequence so she would have known from the first scene that it was a commercial.

You'd have to be an idiot of the first order to ever think this was a real consumer and pretty dumb to think that maybe she is an actress but was "fooled" into thinking it's market research.

The only rational reason for the film crew *not* letting her in on their intentions would be that they want to "reveal" the truth to her at the end and film her reaction (which they didn't), so why wouldn't they tell her when she first arrives on set (or even sooner) what the deal is?
  • Reply 25 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

No commercial is real. That goes for every company. Including Apple"s famous 30 sec Ad showing the iPhone doing super fast things. In real life it's 4x slower. So microsoft has every right to do an Ad as such.

Ummm hater... have you ever even watched an iPhone ad? Doesn't take a genius to figure out they shortened the sequence while shooting the ad. And get this... Apple even tells you this right in the ad. How genius?

• Reply 26 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuencap View Post

No doubt the entire commercial is fake.

Check out the final Best Buy checkout price: $699.99

Where's the tax!?? hahaha

you are an idiot. what if she bought it in Erie PA?
  • Reply 27 of 187
    Quote:

Ummm hater... have you ever even watched an iPhone ad? Doesn't take a genius to figure out they shortened the sequence while shooting the ad. And get this... Apple even tells you this right in the ad. How genius?

Dude I own Apple products... Ps... The ones I see for Rogers and AT&T don't show that its shortened. I see them all the time...

Ps That is why the european union banned them... Good on them.
  • Reply 28 of 187
    shodsonshodson Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuencap View Post

No doubt the entire commercial is fake.

Check out the final Best Buy checkout price: $699.99

Where's the tax!?? hahaha

Some states don't have sales tax.
  • Reply 29 of 187
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure that only popped up pretty recently. They did not have that disclaimer on their earlier ads. I don't know if the disclaimer is really necessary though, but the editing is very subtle, I don't recall any visible transitions or anything to tell the audience that time has passed, if it weren't for the disclaimer.
  • Reply 30 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

DEAD WRONG. All of Apple's ads are honest, especially because they don't pretend to be someone else in disguise. MS's is illegal advertisement punishable in many countries, and VERY different from what any honest company does.

Everything that is said in the PC x Mac ads is AT LEAST correct yet biased information (even if it doesn't mean that you will always get a virus on a PC).

For the batteries, EVERY Apple website disclaims CLEARLY the limitations of battery life, or the fact they LAST UP TO 8 hours, not always 8 hours.

As for the iPhone, there IS a disclaimer on the commercial saying that some actions might take longer than 30 secs...so check your facts before posting, please.

Apple Ads honest? You got to be living in a bubble lol
  • Reply 31 of 187
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    ".....its cringe-inducing music voiced by stilted, soulless shells lacking any personality...."

Wow. Gotta love that.
  • Reply 32 of 187
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Let's not start slinging mud over advertising campaigns.

Remember that at least three high profile Apple adverts have been banned in the UK for misleading consumers.
  • Reply 33 of 187
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cassnate6259 View Post

Oh yeah? Well the guys in the Mac vs. PC commercials aren't actually computers, they're just people who CLAIM that they're computers! Totally misleading.

LOL. I like Macs, but I like the PC guy better for some reason.
  • Reply 34 of 187
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Hmm...must be a slow news day.

This is regurgitating the same stuff that's already been talked about ad naseum

the past week and a half.
  • Reply 35 of 187
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Bloggers forensically studied the advertisement in slow motion, pointing out that the shots of Lauren entering and leaving the store appear to have been shot all at once; the surrounding people walking past in both shots appear in the same place. This must mean, they conclude, that Lauren never entered the store looking for the $1000 17" notebook, and that the ad simply included a scene at "the Mac store" to offer Apple some additional free advertising.

Everyone who appears recognizable in an ad has to sign a photo/likeness release or you can't use them in your ads. Odds are everyone not-Lauren in those shots is a paid extra and they wandered around for the 2 or 3 takes they shot before the Apple Store staff chased them off.

This isn't so much Microsoft sleight-of-hand as it is the simple reality of video production.
  • Reply 36 of 187
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

Who here has done cartwheels upon receiving a new Mac?

I have.
  • Reply 37 of 187
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple only sells one 17" notebook with a high quality, full resolution screen. No PC maker ships anything comparable to the MacBook Pro for under $1000. As the ad points out however, there are plenty of low quality, low resolution 17" screens available from PC makers trying to dangle low prices in front of consumers in the overcrowded, low differentiation market for low end, generic PCs that ship with Windows Vista.

The ad doesn't try to say it's an equivalent computer. It's marketed as a professional computer too, with features that consumers might never use. I see no problem with other companies marketing consumer computers with the same screen size, I think it's pretty silly to associate the 15" and 17" screen sizes as a professional feature when anyone can benefit from a larger screen.

Also, crunching the numbers, the 17" model in question has a 100ppi screen. I recall a time a few years ago when Apple officially resisted going beyond 100ppi citing usability studies showing that 100ppi is about right for most typical people to comfortably use, because higher pixel densities mean that UI elements and screen text gets pretty tiny. Apple (and Apple fans) were basically saying that companies going beyond 100ppi were doing their users a disservice. Now, I guess the roles have reversed, though really, I don't think 125 and 133ppi screens are doing older users any favors.
  • Reply 38 of 187
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

you are an idiot. what if she bought it in Erie PA?

It was in Los Angeles, genius.
  • Reply 39 of 187
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shodson View Post

Some states don't have sales tax.

And California is one of those states? No.
  • Reply 40 of 187
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Of course she's an actress. No company would ever grab a person off the street to put in a commercial. Don't be stupid.