Microsoft's latest ad attacks Mac aesthetics, computing power

Comments

• Reply 321 of 520
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post

HP are crap, granted, but that doesn't mean Apple is the best. Other brands such as Asus are just as good if not better when it comes to reliability and quality and are a lot more affordable.

All this Microsoft vs Apple is really a moot point everywhere else in the world apart from the US and maybe Japan. Here in the UK (and Europe in general) hardly anyone buys a Mac because we are not lured in by the sexy aesthetics. We want more substance over style.

That's an ignorant statement and just goes to show what a bunch of bull you PC mongers are swimming in.
  • Reply 322 of 520
    oldmacguyoldmacguy Posts: 151member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troyallen23 View Post

Do people actually believe a commercial in which Microsoft pays a person for buying a windows based laptop. When I decided to buy a Mac, I walked into an Apple store for a few hours and used one.

I guess that's why there are no CHAIRS in the Apple Stores.
  • Reply 323 of 520
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

Giampaolo (and ItalianKid) are Microsoft's bitch..

LOL

Does Giampaolo know that PC World on Jul 25, 2007, rated MACBook Pro as the best machine to run Vista
  • Reply 324 of 520
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troyallen23 View Post

...Here in the UK (and Europe in general) hardly anyone buys a Mac because we are not lured in by the sexy aesthetics. We want more substance over style.

They actually eat pub food, too.
  • Reply 325 of 520
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Take two computer illiterate people and give one a Mac and one a PC, in boxes, unopened. Tell them to take some videos and photos of a topic (say birds in their neighborhood). Then ask them to prepare a homepage, an educational DVD (complete with presentation, original music, slideshows and videos) and a newsletter about the birds and to call you when they are finished.

Any bets on who will finish first and have had a better experience?

Well said!

This entire thread is about comparing hardware specs, which is pointless.. People who buy Macs do so because of user experience, and I think your sentence sums it up best!
  • Reply 326 of 520
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Wait, doesn't the UK produce Aston Martins and Rolls Royce.....

Yeah but we don't buy them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

That's an ignorant statement and just goes to show what a bunch of bull you PC mongers are swimming in.

How is it ignorant. You can get a much better PC for much less than the price of a Mac. Macs are largely ignored outside of the US. When I was at university (college to you), the only students who had Macs were international students.

Everything you can do on a Mac, you can do on a PC/Windows. Plus you can game (natively) and upgrade your components! Shock, horror...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

They actually eat pub food, too.

Hey, some pub food's quite nice. And it's pretty cheap nowadays. About half the price of a McDonalds value meal.
  • Reply 327 of 520
    tdmelvintdmelvin Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitz View Post

I completely get why someone would want a mac. Not everyone wants to know everything about their comp. Just like I couldn't care less how my cars engine works. Macs make sense if you want something you don't need to worry about, runs fine, can browse the net and word processing. If you ever need more.... get a pc.

What? I can do more with my MB w/4GB of RAM than I can with any Windows PC. It's actually funny. I fire mine up, can access all kinds of IT based resources; Cisco gear, UNIX, Linux, Windows Servers, etc. out of the box. Didn't have to install anything. I can SSH to consoles, etc. When my Windows counterparts needed to do the same, they had to go find software in order to do it. It was actually pretty amusing.

I actually tell people the opposite. If you need to work, get things done, and like power, get a Mac. If you just want cruise the Internet, access email, etc. go to Best Buy and get a $300 HP.
  • Reply 328 of 520
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaa View Post

MacBook Config: 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor (1,066MHz front-side bus), 13.3-inch LED-backlit display with 1,280-by-800 resolution, 2GB DDR3 memory (expandable to 4GB), 256MB nVidia GeForce 9400M (DDR3) graphics, 160GB SATA hard drive (5,400 rpm), double-layer DVD burner, 802.11n wireless, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, 10/100/1000 Ethernet, two USB ports, one Mini DisplayPort and Mac OS X 10.5.

HP HDX 16-1140us Config: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor (1,066MHz front-side bus), 16-inch LCD display with 1,366-by-768 resolution, 4GB DDR2 memory (expandable to 8GB), 512MB nVidia GeForce 9600M GT graphics, 500GB SATA hard drive (5,400 rpm), double-layer DVD burner, 802.11n wireless, Bluetooth, 10/100/1000 Ethernet, four USB ports, one HDMI port, Express Card slot and Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 1.

Battery life. Apple claims up to 5 hours for the 13.3-inch MacBook versus up to 2 hours HP marketing material asserts for the HDX. In my testing, the MacBook gets up to 3 hours (usually less). Regardless, the MacBook better meets Giampaolo's criteria.

Power. The HP laptop has a faster processor, double the memory, twice the graphics memory (and it's dedicated) and a huge hard drive. The HP wins for power, and considerably so.

Source: http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte...lly_picky.html

You're comparing a 16" notebook to a 13"? Why not do the same comparison to a MBP?
  • Reply 329 of 520
    Quote:

Yeah but we don't buy them.

How is it ignorant. You can get a much better PC for much less than the price of a Mac. Macs are largely ignored outside of the US. When I was at university (college to you), the only students who had Macs were international students.

Everything you can do on a Mac, you can do on a PC/Windows. Plus you can game (natively) and upgrade your components! Shock, horror...

Hey, some pub food's quite nice. And it's pretty cheap nowadays. About half the price of a McDonalds value meal.

I've spent my whole life living in the UK, other than the last ten years up until December of last year. Since I've been back practically everyone I've seen has had a Mac and those people are recomending Mac's to their friends without exception. In fact, the only PC I've seen is a friends who was visiting from America. And just to let you know when he visited he showed a slideshow of the furniture he makes to me and my Mother, during which as he paused to talk, instead of a piece of furniture a close-up of a females anatomy displayed instead!

Enough said!
  • Reply 330 of 520
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by too999 View Post

If Apple fans are idiots, then Windows fans are much worse. At least Apple is something worth to defend. What has Microsoft got for their fans to defend so loyally?

I think the better argument is if Apple fans are idiots, Windows fans must be bigger idiots, because they spend all their time trying to justify why Windows machines are better.

It's actually quite funny. What's even funnier is that much of what Mac fans tout is true! A good friend of my family needed help getting a new system. I tried to get her to go with a 20" iMac. But she wanted a Windows machine, because of her job, etc. and didn't want the whole "new OS thing". I said fine, no problem. We spec'd out albeit a faster process/more RAM DELL for about $200 less than the iMac. But that's okay...so it's ordered, and delivered. I went over her house to install it, and from the time I took it out of the box, and had it "functioning" [meaning ready to actually use] 3 hours had gone by. Mind you, this is just a setup, running updates, installing AV, etc., and running those updates. When I bought our 20" iMac a year ago, it took 40 minutes from start to finish; and that included me taking out the 1GB of RAM it came with, and adding 4GB. Ours still boots faster, and runs apps faster. In fact, after 3 months of use she said "Wow, I don't know if DELL's are any good? It's really slow..." HAHAHAHAHA...Too funny...But hey, she saved $200 bucks!
  • Reply 331 of 520
    Quote:

I've spent my whole life living in the UK, other than the last ten years up until December of last year. Since I've been back practically everyone I've seen has had a Mac and those people are recomending Mac's to their friends without exception. In fact, the only PC I've seen is a friends who was visiting from America. And just to let you know when he visited he showed a slideshow of the furniture he makes to me and my Mother, during which as he paused to talk, instead of a piece of furniture a close-up of a females anatomy displayed instead!

Enough said!

Lol wut? Dude, how old are you? You've spent your whole life living in the UK, APART from the last TEN years?! I guess it depends who you know and where you live. Sure, more people have been getting Macs recently but the Mac penetration in the UK is still practically non-existent.

Btw, that example of your friend is completely random and makes no sense.
  • Reply 332 of 520
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdmelvin View Post

In fact, after 3 months of use she said "Wow, I don't know if DELL's are any good? It's really slow..." HAHAHAHAHA...Too funny...But hey, she saved $200 bucks!

And it will seem even sillier in 5 years when you are still using the same functional computer, but the dell owner will be on her second or third machine.
  • Reply 333 of 520
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Mac marketshare actually going up:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9130903
  • Reply 334 of 520
    Quote:

Lol wut? Dude, how old are you? You've spent your whole life living in the UK, APART from the last TEN years?! I guess it depends who you know and where you live. Sure, more people have been getting Macs recently but the Mac penetration in the UK is still practically non-existent.

Btw, that example of your friend is completely random and makes no sense.

I'm 38.

I think you'll find 'random' mistakes happen frequently in your PC community of lost souls in their desperate attempts to have 'some' superficialy higher specs.

Shame on them!
  • Reply 335 of 520
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdmelvin View Post

I think the better argument is if Apple fans are idiots, Windows fans must be bigger idiots, because they spend all their time trying to justify why Windows machines are better.

It's actually quite funny. What's even funnier is that much of what Mac fans tout is true! A good friend of my family needed help getting a new system. I tried to get her to go with a 20" iMac. But she wanted a Windows machine, because of her job, etc. and didn't want the whole "new OS thing". I said fine, no problem. We spec'd out albeit a faster process/more RAM DELL for about $200 less than the iMac. But that's okay...so it's ordered, and delivered. I went over her house to install it, and from the time I took it out of the box, and had it "functioning" [meaning ready to actually use] 3 hours had gone by. Mind you, this is just a setup, running updates, installing AV, etc., and running those updates. When I bought our 20" iMac a year ago, it took 40 minutes from start to finish; and that included me taking out the 1GB of RAM it came with, and adding 4GB. Ours still boots faster, and runs apps faster. In fact, after 3 months of use she said "Wow, I don't know if DELL's are any good? It's really slow..." HAHAHAHAHA...Too funny...But hey, she saved $200 bucks!

That's just stupid...fans of any OS are idiots! Macs/OSX and PC/Windows both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Your friend had a bad experience with a PC, so what. I'm sure plenty of people have bad experiences with Macs. It's just that you hear more stories on the PC as more people use PCs.
  • Reply 336 of 520
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

I guess that's why there are no CHAIRS in the Apple Stores.

they do. Just snag one from genius bar I'd stool from one to one. LOL

On policy that's cool in a way is I have seen prime write whom papers and management never bothers them. Pretty nice. While I think mac workers font get paid that good, I will say the managers are some of the nicest people ever, as are all the workers. Very nice almost like family.
  • Reply 337 of 520
    Quote:

I'm 38.

I think you'll find 'random' mistakes happen frequently in your PC community of lost souls in their desperate attempts to have 'some' superficialy higher specs.

Shame on them!

I didn't say the mistake was 'random', I said the example you gave was 'random'. Anyways, these so-called 'random' mistakes happen more frequently in the PC community because there are more USERS and hence more idiots. How does this in anyway relate to higher specs?? It's a fact that there's more choice, hardware wise, in PCs and that they're cheaper.
  • Reply 338 of 520
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Well said!

This entire thread is about comparing hardware specs, which is pointless.. People who buy Macs do so because of user experience, and I think your sentence sums it up best!

Agreed. You would think therewould be better software intergration, but no, iLife wind 100 fold.
  • Reply 339 of 520
    Don't you guys remember when the DOS-heads spent all their time deriding the Mac's GUI??

"Who needs a MOUSE?" -- "Kid stuff!"

Well, until Win 3.1, anyway. Same old, same old.
  • Reply 340 of 520
    Quote:

That's just stupid...fans of any OS are idiots! Macs/OSX and PC/Windows both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Your friend had a bad experience with a PC, so what. I'm sure plenty of people have bad experiences with Macs. It's just that you hear more stories on the PC as more people use PCs.

Try telling that to the people who've switched to a Mac, they'll, rightly, tell you how wrong you are, except for very occasional problems which few will ever experience.