Microsoft pays for inaccurate "Apple Tax" study, issues 3rd TV ad

Comments

• Reply 241 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UbiquitousGeek View Post

Right... First of all, Windows has only been around for what, 24 years now? Even so, most people didn't use it until at least version 3.0, which was around 1993. In any case, it doesn't matter how long you've used Windows, it doesn't change the fact that you're a liar. Even if you think you haven't had a virus, you wouldn't know because, as you've stated, you don't run antivirus.

Why is it that people like to assume that Mac users are ignorant of Windows? I know a lot of "switchers" who spent years on WIndows before making their way to the Mac. I happen to be one of them. You can't lie to me about what Windows is and is not. The best way to describe the way I feel about Windows is to compare it to a truck stop hooker, running from truck to truck, sucking off one dirty trucker after another. Keep the herpes, please.

Two years ago, I had a MacBook Pro that I bought for $1,600 that I KNOW would rape your Dell. Aside from that, you're either intentionally leaving out the things that the MacBook has that your Dell doesn't, or you're completely ignorant to their existence. I'm leaning towards the ignorance.

Lies or ignorance, which one is it? I'm serious. I can't tell the difference.

I've been an IBM compatible user for 27+ years . There were virus's for DOS and you could get them from Floppies. I like how you ask "how do I know I don't have a virus because I don't run anti-virus software?". I would ask then the same thing of all the Mac users that don't run anti-virus software. If you have read my posts to this thread you should know that I do use anti-virus software. I just don't run it all the time on all my systems. I actually run it on one system and use it to scan all of my drives. I do not leave it running or installed. I do it about two times a year.

Please tell me what the Macbook has that my Dell doesn't, other then the nice break away magnetic power cord and OS X.
  • Reply 242 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stashman View Post

The pricing of a product is set by the supplier. It's up to them set the price which allows them to continue as a business and supply a product which the buyer can have confidence in.

Your idea of buying components introduces a large element of risk. The completed computer may not function as expected and leaves you with little recourse.

Well if part of it doesn't work, you send it back for replacement. That works just the same as sending an entire computer back.
  • Reply 243 of 343
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

No need for luck there. I haven't seen PC hardware up to 5 years old that does not work with Vista... and I've seen a lot of hardware. Since W7 will be compatible on drivers' level with Vista, same trend will continue.

Do 5 years old Macs work with Leopard and Snow Leopard..?

Answering your questions...

1. Leopard works on my wife's 4 1/2 yr old powerbook G4 just fine. A big improvement over the Panther that came with it. So the asnwer is yes.

2. As for snow leopard, it doesn't exist yet, except in a lab in Cupertino. Until it ships, anything can happen so we'll all have to stay tuned. My money says it will install fine on this PBG4.

• Reply 244 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Their $20billion bank account clearly demonstrates they have plenty of cash to spare, so could easily reduce the price of their hardware without much bother.

I don't think that anyone would disagree with me stating that Apple have been very prudent in building up such as cash surplus over the past 10 years. Considering the current global economic environment this move has been proven very wise and places Apple in a better position to continue supporting it's customers in comparison to competitors.

Why should existing customers be subsidizing your purchase anyway?
  • Reply 245 of 343
    Quote:

I don't think that anyone would disagree with me stating that Apple have been very prudent in building up such as cash surplus over the past 10 years. Considering the current global economic environment this move has been proven very wise and places Apple in a better position to continue supporting it's customers in comparison to competitors.

Why should existing customers be subsidizing your purchase anyway?

Because if Apple want me to buy one of their computers, their exisiting customers will have to subsidise the price, because I'm not prepared to be ripped off. If they don't do that, I won't buy their products, and I will go on happily with the money in my pocket instead
  • Reply 246 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Because if Apple want me to buy one of their computers, their exisiting customers will have to subsidise the price, because I'm not prepared to be ripped off. If they don't do that, I won't buy their products, and I will go on happily with the money in my pocket instead

...why are you on this forum?
  • Reply 247 of 343
    Quote:

...why are you on this forum?

Errr, because it's a free world? Someone needs to bring you people down a notch or two!
  • Reply 248 of 343
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeCoolDaddio View Post

JoeCoolDaddio

Winner of gayest screen name on this thread.
  • Reply 249 of 343
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Atkinson View Post

Please tell me what the Macbook has that my Dell doesn't, other then the nice break away magnetic power cord and OS X.

I am no Dell expert so I cannot comment on what your Dell does or doesn't have, but I will say this...

From my perspective, I think the Mac is a better choice for ME for many reasons, not only including the two examples you list which are Mac OS X and the mag safe adapter, but I also love the magnetic lid closure, the extremely solid unibody construction, iLife and iWork, and how all of the products at Apple are designed with each other in mind to all work so seamlessly together.

However, even IF the only thing the MacBook had over the Dell was Mac OS X, that detail alone is HUGE for me, and would sway my dollar every time. I can't imagine having to use XP/Vista for my home computer ecosystem. Mac OS X is enjoyable...whereas I find windows to be kindof blah, and at times a real chore to use and even look at.
  • Reply 250 of 343
    @Bruce Atkinson "I personally get a kick out of buying something at the Apple store and as the sales clerk is knocking something about Windows I ask them how they like using Windows Mobile on their handheld point of sale device. Seems like the iPhone or iPod touch should be capable enough, but they must not be."

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...hone_tech.html

Kinda deflates that comment...........
  • Reply 251 of 343
    Don't Microsh!t mention too expensive full version and upgrade version?!

M!crosh!t

Upgrade:

Vista Home Basic - $99.95

Vista Home Premium - $139.95

Vista Business - $179.95

Vista Ultimate - $199.95

Full:

Vista Home Basic - $199.95

Vista Home Premium - $239.95

Vista Business - $269.95

Vista Ultimate - $349.95

Mac OS X

Upgrade AND Full in one:

Mac OS X Leopard, Home Basic - $139.00

Mac OS X Leopard, Home Premium - $139.00

Mac OS X Leopard, Business - $139.00

Mac OS X Leopard, Ultimate - $139.00

I'm use Vista ONLY if I have to. I'm use Vista for website editor for my organization. Dreamweaver is too complicated for me to understand. I have MB and LOVE IT! Genius Bar at my Apple store in Plano got my dead MacBook repaired (only after 1 year old that time). They got the logic repair for FREE even with expired Warranty! Now I'm happy Mac User!
  • Reply 252 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maine Jetta View Post

@Bruce Atkinson "I personally get a kick out of buying something at the Apple store and as the sales clerk is knocking something about Windows I ask them how they like using Windows Mobile on their handheld point of sale device. Seems like the iPhone or iPod touch should be capable enough, but they must not be."

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...hone_tech.html

Kinda deflates that comment...........

deflates? I said that they should be capable enough.
  • Reply 253 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Atkinson View Post

I've been an IBM compatible user for 27+ years . There were virus's for DOS and you could get them from Floppies. I like how you ask "how do I know I don't have a virus because I don't run anti-virus software?". I would ask then the same thing of all the Mac users that don't run anti-virus software. If you have read my posts to this thread you should know that I do use anti-virus software. I just don't run it all the time on all my systems. I actually run it on one system and use it to scan all of my drives. I do not leave it running or installed. I do it about two times a year.

How do Mac users know if they have a virus if they don't run antivirus? Simple. Unlike Windows, Mac OS X isn't transparent to the user. Malware can't just hide from a competent user.

Oh, gee, I don't know... Gigabit ethernet? 802.11n? iSight? (Your shitty webcam isn't the same.) A magnetic latch? Backlit keyboard? Sudden Motion Sensor? Unibody design? Multi-touch trackpad? LED backlit display? Less than an inch thick? Weighs 4.5 lbs.? Better battery life? Optical digital audio in/out? Bluetooth? DisplayPort? Slot loading optical drive? (No tray to break.) Better sounding speakers?

If you ask me, you just got your ass handed to you. I didn't even touch on your Dell's software inadequacies.
  • Reply 254 of 343
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:

It's quite funny that people continue to complain that they can't afford to buy a Mac and that this is somehow Apple's fault for not selling them a substandard product or one at a heavy lose.

To be blunt it's your problem for not saving properly for the computer you really want. Not looking for discounts say on the Apple educational store or at refurbished products, or even on ebay.

first, apple charges way more and their sales scheme is a bit sleezy. All macs in their back of house also run virus software so that point is moot.

Paying for apple care for three years also pays for the actual cost of any replacement so you do the math. This is how much more you are paying. Do you really think a motherboard, or apples term, logic board cost $900 collards. Of course not but at that price they force you to buy a new mac. Sleezy.

With regard to marketing. I saw many times in the apple store a user with a budget spend way more then needed. Apple positions each product, not only over priced but in a way that if you want one more feature, it's only $249 more. Suddenly you're buying a MacBook pro as all those little extras went from 1199-1249-1799 to $2000 and that's just to get good graphics portable.

I hope the iPhone takes a huge hit with expiring contracts so apple has to come back with good stronger computers.
  • Reply 255 of 343
    should we just add another two column here.....

does it work without having to throw your it out the "window"

and

does it come with loads of buggy crapware on it

• Reply 256 of 343
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

No need for luck there. I haven't seen PC hardware up to 5 years old that does not work with Vista... and I've seen a lot of hardware.

You've not dealt with Sony.

Quote:

Do 5 years old Macs work with Leopard and Snow Leopard..?

If you know of Snow Leopard, then you know it isn't an option now or maybe ever, but Leopard runs just fine on my 7-year-old PowerBook G4. When Leopard debuted, my PB was well over 5 years old. And your point was?
  • Reply 257 of 343
    Quote:

How do Mac users know if they have a virus if they don't run antivirus? Simple. Unlike Windows, Mac OS X isn't transparent to the user. Malware can't just hide from a competent user.

What can you even say when people talk like this. It shows an obvious complete lack of understanding of virus's/trojans, and how OS X works.

Quote:

Oh, gee, I don't know... Gigabit ethernet? 802.11n? iSight? (Your shitty webcam isn't the same.) A magnetic latch? Backlit keyboard? Sudden Motion Sensor? Unibody design? Multi-touch trackpad? LED backlit display? Less than an inch thick? Weighs 4.5 lbs.? Better battery life? Optical digital audio in/out? Bluetooth? DisplayPort? Slot loading optical drive? (No tray to break.) Better sounding speakers?

I chose not to get Gigabit ethernet or a camera. I had the option and chose not to get them. They were inexpensive options but I didn't see any benefit. Two years ago multi-touch wasn't an issue and it's also one I don't care about. My battery life is excellent, because I had an option to get a larger battery and I chose it. I don't care about unibody or optical audio. I've never broken a tray and prefer the tray over the slot loading drives. Speakers on her Macbook do not sound better. Less than an inch thick or its weight doesn't matter to me. I don't know what my Dell weighs. It's not heavy, so I don't care. I have Bluetooth. Who cares about DisplayPort? I certainly don't. I think the display on my Dell is excellent and I can't see the difference between my daughter's Macbook and my Dell except that mine is bigger.

It's not a competition. Different people want different things. Macs are great. Macs cost more. I am perfectly happy with my Dell and it's quality (zero problems in over two years of use). I like my Mac mini also. I would prefer to just have the option to run OS X on the Dell. Even if I could, my personal preference would still be to have Vista as my default to boot into.

Quote:

If you ask me, you just got your ass handed to you. I didn't even touch on your Dell's software inadequacies.

Not really. Instead you are just proving my points in previous posts. I'm not sure why you have to tell me how crappy my choices are. Your comments are emotional and not based on facts. I never said that the Dell was better. They are equivalent in all things that I care about except for one (cost). You are free to look at the same two devices and come to your own conclusion. It doesn't hurt my feelings if you pick the Macbook.
  • Reply 258 of 343
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

No, I called him a liar because his post was pretty much a compendium of MS talking points, he apparently chose to register on a Mac enthusiast site even though he specifically stated that he disliked our company, and he made some highly suspect claims about his experience of Windows as a pristine nirvana.

I have to ask myself why someone who is enjoying using their PCs would ever see the need to seek out Mac users to school them in the error of their ways.

You, on the other hand, without knowing me, have elected to question how I was raised, based on my failure to conform to your vision of the world.

Which just makes you an asshole.

Game!

Set!

Match!
  • Reply 259 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLLucionist View Post

So they (MS) are saying that they themselves find Apple Premium products? Finally for the first time in the history they are correct about something.

They are so scared that they attack the "premiumness" and "glossyness" without thinking, cleary. The meeting about this went probably by throwing chairs 'round the office.

Anyway, it would've make, although factually incorrect, if they told us how NOT premium Apple is, stating that every pc has WiFi, and more connectivity and that they are pretty as well and that Apple just is a Intel PC with a nice case wrapped around it.

I think I understand what you're saying here. It's just that you said it in a Victor/Victoria kind of way....
  • Reply 260 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Winner of gayest screen name on this thread.

Even my gay friends think so!