Microsoft ups cash limit, takes aim at MacBook Pros in new ad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 505
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by albert1028 View Post

I dislike that these commercials trick those who are not knowledgeable into buying a pc.

That's called US advertising - MicroSoft didn't invent it. Advertising is usually misleading and always manipulative by its very nature. Even Apple has done some of it- ("iPhone twice as fast- half the price"). It's in virtually every commercial advertisement.
  • Reply 22 of 505
    stashmanstashman Posts: 92member
    Microsoft are trying break the world record of 'density of bullshit' in a single commercial. They just keep upping the stakes.

Keep them coming Microsoft! I want to see you deal with a $3000 laptop!
  • Reply 23 of 505
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdmlight View Post

She didn't buy a MacBook Pro because it only had 2Gb of RAM?

Why wouldn't you buy your own RAM from OWC or something? It'd still be cheaper than movie editing software comparable to iMovie (i.e. Premiere Elements or similar).

RAM is easy as pie to upgrade, even for someone not too familiar with computers...

Tell that to my mom. In fact, tell that to my friend's gf! Just the other day she didn't know what made a computer make "wooshing noise" until I showed her there were fans inside the case LOL

my point is, even though it's incredibly easy, people will view it as rocket science for some reason. I've seen the same thing happen with guys I work with here when it comes to working on cars lol.
  • Reply 24 of 505
    mclarenf1mclarenf1 Posts: 64member
    PAFWAAAAHHHAHHHHAAAAA! LMAO
  • Reply 25 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stashman View Post

Microsoft are trying break the world record of 'density of bullshit' in a single commercial. They just keep upping the stakes.

Keep them coming Microsoft! I want to see you deal with a $3000 laptop!

Have you seen a I'm a mac and I'm a pc commercial lately? I'm pretty sure Apple's doing a great job selling bullshit also.
  • Reply 26 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That's called US advertising - MicroSoft didn't invent it. Advertising is usually misleading and always manipulative by its very nature. Even Apple has done some of it- ("iPhone twice as fast- half the price"). It's in virtually every commercial advertisement.

Wait a second, this makes sense. I always wondered why dozens of women didn't brutally rape me because I wore axe body spray :/
  • Reply 27 of 505
    nprtmn4evrnprtmn4evr Posts: 35member
    I would hope most "average" users that plan on spending $2000 on a computer would understand the difference between DDR2 and DDR3 RAM, and that you need a 64 bit processor to use 4GB of RAM.

I can't think of too many people that would plunk down $2000 and NOT know what they're getting.
  • Reply 28 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post

do you remember bud light vs miller light? president of beers, king of beers, back and forth nosense a few years ago. no one came out a clear winner, and it was basically a waste of millions in advertising that ended up being a pissing contest.

This reminds me of how much coke and pepsi spend on advertising. Billions each year are put into sponsoring games, sticking ads on urinals, anything you can think of, and when you're at a restaurant and you ask for a coke and they say all they have is pepsi, what's the typical response? "Oh that's cool, they're both the same"
  • Reply 29 of 505
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleinsider View Post

the commercial, which can be seen below, ends before sheila can begin her search for a viable video editing application to cut her video.

lmao!
  • Reply 30 of 505
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    lol good luck running that SUPER VIDEO editing program!
  • Reply 31 of 505
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wooliness View Post

I may be wrong, but as far as I understand unless the notebook is running a 64 bit version of windows it can't use more than 2.5 G of that slower 4G. Strangely they don't mention that too often.

Any 32-bit Windows operating system is limited to 3GB memory.

While Windows can't access the remaining 1GB, having two 2GB modules, as opposed to one 1GB and one 2GB, means it is cheaper for the manufacturer (bulk purchase) and means a bit more speed in memory access.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NPrtmn4evr View Post

I would hope most "average" users that plan on spending $2000 on a computer would understand the difference between DDR2 and DDR3 RAM, and that you need a 64 bit processor to use 4GB of RAM.

I can't think of too many people that would plunk down $2000 and NOT know what they're getting.

Technically you need a 64-bit version of MS-Windows on top of that. I mention MS-Windows, as opposed to operating system, since it is technically possible for an operating system to access the remaining memory, though it all depends how the memory management is implemented.

Edit: Here is a page for reference on the maximum usable memory with Vista: http://www.vistaclues.com/reader-que...windows-vista/
  • Reply 32 of 505
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

The HDX 16 [is] nearly the same on the specs it shares,

One CPU in the HP, one CPU in the Apple... CHECK!

Quote:

and has extra features that the Macbook does not, for half the price.

Oh, Reilly?
  • Reply 33 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

Any 32-bit Windows operating system is limited to 3GB memory.

While Windows can't access the remaining 1GB, having two 2GB modules, as opposed to one 1GB and one 2GB, means it is cheaper for the manufacturer (bulk purchase) and means a bit more speed in memory access.

Did the commercial say it's a 32 bit system? I'm fairly positive if a system advertises 4gb of ram, it's coming with 64 bit. If it comes with 32 bit, it's gonna advertise 3gb of ram, not 4gb of ram with 1gb unused lol
  • Reply 34 of 505
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Apple doesn't need to respond. There is nothing new in these ads. Windows PCs are cheaper than Macs--now that's a flash. That has been the PC mantra since day one. The best you can say is that MS is reminding people of something they already knew. Somehow Apple has drunk their milkshake anyway. Slurp!
  • Reply 35 of 505
    oh btw everyone vegas movie studio 9 is like 55 bucks. Why does everyone think it'll cost 300 dollars to match imovie?

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudio
  • Reply 36 of 505
    roehlstationroehlstation Posts: 640member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStink View Post

You are correct. MS can utilize only 3gb of ram on a 32bit os of vista or xp, but system builders like hp don't ship 32 bit versions of the operating system when offering more than 3gb of ram.

Actually, most HP Vista Machines with 4 GB of RAM ship with Vista Home Premium 64 bit. Problem becomes clear when customer tries to install a lot of software that doesn't run well on 64 bit Windows, I had to downgrade one last week for that reason for a customer.
  • Reply 37 of 505
    Quote:

oh btw everyone vegas movie studio 9 is like 55 bucks. Why does everyone think it'll cost 300 dollars to match imovie?

You don't get HD and 5.1 support unless you go Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum.
  • Reply 38 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Actually, most HP Vista Machines with 4 GB of RAM ship with Vista Home Premium 64 bit. Problem becomes clear when customer tries to install a lot of software that doesn't run well on 64 bit Windows, I had to downgrade one last week for that reason for a customer.

Yeah but what I was saying was, they didn't advertise 4gb, then ship an os that only uses 3. When they say 3, it could actually be 2 2gb sticks but with a 32bit os. I was just making the point that in a commercial like this when they say the laptop has 4gb of ram, saying it needs a 64 bit os is something that doesn't need to be mentioned.

Out of curiosity, what software wasn't running properly on vista 64?
  • Reply 39 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

You don't get HD and 5.1 support unless you go Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum.

ok well thats 85. Not 300. In fact, vegas pro pack is only 115 and that includes more than enough for an amateur "artist". Vegas Pro is 550, but from what I'm reading here, that seems studio quality.

I understand imovie blows windows movie maker away, but it won't cost as much as people think to blow imovie away, and that extra 2gb of ram on her system will come in handy with software like that.
  • Reply 40 of 505
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 801member
    Quote:

Like most HPs, the HDX comes with Muvee Reveal anyway. It's basic, but easy to use and quite capable for most people's use.