Microsoft ups cash limit, takes aim at MacBook Pros in new ad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 505
    nano_tubenano_tube Posts: 114member
    I seriously love macs and especially mac os x, but I am very pleased with these ads from MS.

They are 100% right hammering Apple on the pricing of Macs. These prices are unjustified in my opinion. I am willing to pay some premium on a Mac but there is a difference between premium and outright insane pricing. The worst of the lot is the Mac Pro. There is just no excuse for a single Quad processor desktop to cost so much money. It makes me angry.

If the Xeon is so pricey, Apple should offer a Mac Pro with a single iCore7 quad for a normal price.

I hate the iMac as it is not upgradable and I don't like it's casing. The MacBook / Pro are very nice but expensive as hell...

The more MS hammers Apple on the prices, the better it will be for us Mac users.

Dare I say "Go MS!"

• Reply 42 of 505
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Actually, most HP Vista Machines with 4 GB of RAM ship with Vista Home Premium 64 bit. Problem becomes clear when customer tries to install a lot of software that doesn't run well on 64 bit Windows, I had to downgrade one last week for that reason for a customer.

I have installed dozens of 32 bit applications ( for example Office, adobe CS3, Solid works, Autocad (hell, I got R14 working under vista 64, and that is like 12 years old), ) on Vista X64, with no issue: please provide examples of 32 bit apps breaking on Vista 64.
  • Reply 43 of 505
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    With all this bashing of how much memory a 32-bit MS-Windows can access, does anyone have a good reference as to how much memory can be accessed by MacOS X 10.5?

From what I understand MacOS X 10.5 on a 64-bit processor is a 32-bit/64-bit hybrid: the OS is 64-bit, but any userland process is 32-bit. Can anyone elaborate?
  • Reply 44 of 505
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Another ugly commercial with a hopelessly unattractive, white bread, Wal Mart-bait "actress."

What a metaphor for their products!

This will have ZERO effect on Apple's target market. But hey, keep 'em coming. Finally, these ads are showing the true face of MS: cheap, common, derivative.
  • Reply 45 of 505
    cooleyecooleye Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

About $300.

The dumb average user is always screwed when buying computer and in life. Nothing anyone can do to change that. Given that Winblows Sh1tsta needs 4 GB of RAM just to boot up in a reasonable amount of time that argument alone falls apart pretty fast.

Nevermind all the other factors such as viruses, having to reinstall windows and all your applications every 6 months, etc.

I like the fact that you refer to all users who buys a PC as dumb. So, I have PC and Mac, that only makes me half as dumb then. My PC is actually running much faster/better than my Mac but I like them both just as much. I luv Mac fanboys!!
  • Reply 46 of 505
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

The HDX 16 ships with the 64 bit version of Windows. It can utilize up to 8Gb.

It's actually a very nice machine. No glossy screen, a number pad on the keyboard, memory card slot. The RAM is a little slower, but it's also a LOT less expensive. If it ran OS X, I'd much rather have the HDX 16 than a Macbook Pro. It's nearly the same on the specs it shares, and has extra features that the Macbook does not, for half the price.

Could you please configure your "half the price" machine.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...=23-35547962-2

Don't forget to list and upgrade the OS, add the necessary software, upgrade the screen and keyboard, etc. Possible list all the features that the Macbook has that the HP doesn't.

Thank you.
  • Reply 47 of 505
    801801 Posts: 271member
    What do you think the first thing one of her fellow "film students" is going to say to her when she shows up in class with this rig?
  • Reply 48 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

I seriously love macs and especially mac os x, but I am very pleased with these ads from MS.

They are 100% right hammering Apple on the pricing of Macs. These prices are unjustified in my opinion. I am willing to pay some premium on a Mac but there is a difference between premium and outright insane pricing. The worst of the lot is the Mac Pro. There is just no excuse for a single Quad processor desktop to cost so much money. It makes me angry.

If the Xeon is so pricey, Apple should offer a Mac Pro with a single iCore7 quad for a normal price.

I hate the iMac as it is not upgradable and I don't like it's casing. The MacBook / Pro are very nice but expensive as hell...

The more MS hammers Apple on the prices, the better it will be for us Mac users.

Dare I say "Go MS!"

AMEN BROTHER

I love OSx, and would gladly pay a premium of say $100-200, but lets be real. I can get one of these for under $1300, and have as much ram and cpu and a better GPU than a $2500 MBP...I will pay a premium for a better product, but not a 100%+ premium.

And as an added bonus, the PC has a friggen HDMI and not some "open standard" that only apple uses, thus no $30+ of connectors to buy to connect it to a tv.
  • Reply 49 of 505
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Like most HPs, the HDX comes with Muvee Reveal anyway. It's basic, but easy to use and quite capable for most people's use.

Not according to HP. No software whatsoever.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...=HDX16t_series
  • Reply 50 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

What do you think the first thing one of her fellow "film students" is going to say to her when she shows up in class with this rig?

Being that MBPs are so expensive and students arent flush with cash, I would assume, they would ask the PC user for a loan to buy a display port to HDMI dongle for video monitoring.
  • Reply 51 of 505
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cooleye View Post

I like the fact that you refer to all users who buys a PC as dumb. So, I have PC and Mac, that only makes me half as dumb then. My PC is actually running much faster/better than my Mac but I like them both just as much. I luv Mac fanboys!!

No, it jut makes you indecisive, at the worst.

And there is no way a PC with comparable hardware to a Mac wil run software faster or more relaibly than a closed system (Mac), in which the software is closely mated to the hardware.
  • Reply 52 of 505
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdmlight View Post

She didn't buy a MacBook Pro because it only had 2Gb of RAM?

Why wouldn't you buy your own RAM from OWC or something? It'd still be cheaper than movie editing software comparable to iMovie (i.e. Premiere Elements or similar).

RAM is easy as pie to upgrade, even for someone not too familiar with computers...

Sure, it's easy to upgrade for you and me and pretty much anyone else if you walked them through it, but they probably wouldn't be comfortable with doing it and, more importantly, they probably have no idea what exactly RAM is and how little it costs or what more would do when they are looking for a machine. People interchange the terms RAM, CPU, and HDD all the time. This is one area that Apple's Mac sales from 3rd-party vendors are hurt because they usually only offer the default RAM size.
  • Reply 53 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Another ugly commercial with a hopelessly unattractive, white bread, Wal Mart-bait "actress."

What a metaphor for their products!

This will have ZERO effect on Apple's target market. But hey, keep 'em coming. Finally, these ads are showing the true face of MS: cheap, common, derivative.

I disagree, I thought she was decent looking, if that's what the walmart shoppers look like in your neck of the woods, I invite you to check out a walmart in baltimore maryland.
  • Reply 55 of 505
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member
    I don't think Apple has much to worry about from this campaign--M$ is basically just reinforcing Apple's "premium" brand, and when people go to look for themselves they will be pleasantly surprised to discover that they *can* afford a nice Mac with the features they need. Macs will seem like even more of a bargain than they would have, when the consumer realizes that they can get "sexy" for a price that compares well to the "cheap and ok" computers. Maybe Apple should run these ads on their website.

Compare it to Ford running a campaign about a person who would like to get a BMW but discovers that the one they want costs too much, so they get a Ford. Both will get you from point A to point B, and there is some feature overlap, but I think most people would agree that BMW makes more desirable cars in general, and Ford would be reinforcing this perception. If there were substantial overlap in pricing between the brands, it would be a terrible campaign for Ford.

Of course, Apple would love for everybody to buy their computers, but their strategy at this point seems to be to retain a "premium" image and keep their margins high by focusing on the upper end of the market, which seems to be working out for them quite well lately.
  • Reply 56 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

No, it jut makes you indecisive, at the worst.

And there is no way a PC with comparable hardware to a Mac wil run software faster or more relaibly than a closed system (Mac), in which the software is closely mated to the hardware.

BULLSHIT, everybody uses comoddedy x86 and x64 chips, MS does just as muich tuning on their consumer OS kernal to the INTEL chips as apple does, hell, MS and intel work closly together to make sure that Windows can take advantage of new chip features (like ht back in the day and multithreading across Xeon/Pentium/Core chips starting with Windows XP and expanded with the codebase of Server 2003 whuich was the vista foundation.)

MS has been working with Intel on multithreading and maximising CPU usage since Apple was playing with those dinky G4 peices of shit (I speak as a former G4 owner, they sucked compared to the Intel boxes of the day, which is why Apple switched.)

Its all about the abstraction layers, Apple has Core* and windows has Direct X and Windows Foundation and .net, they tweak their code to work with the HAL, and the GPU drivers for both Mac and Windows are written by the people who designed the chips, at nvidia and AMD, so I would assume that they can tightly integrate the drivers to the hardware, hell they CREATED the hardware.
  • Reply 57 of 505
    Man this makes you want to Slap her into next week when that PC dies.

Well you think Microsoft would have let he walk out the door with a Apple.

So I did a poll I work with tons od PC heads at my work but I asked like 10 people I said to you want is the best computer for Video Editing and Arts.

They all use PC's and every on of them said Mac. Heck one said a G6.

I just had to reg to post about this.
  • Reply 58 of 505
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post

I disagree, I thought she was decent looking, if that's what the walmart shoppers look like in your neck of the woods, I invite you to check out a walmart in baltimore maryland.

Woodbridge VA is pretty bad too.

Manassas isn't so bad actually. I went to walmart the other day when we were having a good hot day and there was some pretty decent tang walking around.
  • Reply 59 of 505
    Clearly this young lady didn't bother to read the most recent Consumer Reports before she went shopping. CR has a big article on buying a laptop computer. Apple MacBooks and MacBook Pros were #1 in every category and they were the only company that was Red (above average +) in reliablilty in every category.

If this were all legit, I wonder how many $1ks MS would have to give away before they actually found a "hunter" that actually bought a PC...?
  • Reply 60 of 505
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

AMEN BROTHER

I love OSx, and would gladly pay a premium of say $100-200, but lets be real. I can get one of these for under $1300, and have as much ram and cpu and a better GPU than a $2500 MBP...I will pay a premium for a better product, but not a 100%+ premium.

And as an added bonus, the PC has a friggen HDMI and not some "open standard" that only apple uses, thus no $30+ of connectors to buy to connect it to a tv.

so would you pay $500 for one with the same specs that was as big as a suitcase you had to lug around too? oh wait then it wouldn't be same specs.. cuz your only considering specs you care about. not everyone has the same needs. i'd gladly pay double for the same "spec" machine that is half the size and weight.