Apple fires its return salvo as Microsoft issues misleading 5th ad

Comments

• Reply 261 of 320
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

In 6 or 12 months, no one is going to remember present ads.

Possibly, but I'm still not convinced of the wisdom of Microsoft's approach. Look how long Apple has been running their "I'm a Mac" campaign. It's got legs because it builds the image of the product and the company in the minds of consumers. You see this in a lot of ad campaigns. I think probably the best of them don't try to be momentary and forgettable. Microsoft has tried the opposite approach -- the advertising equivalent to negative political campaigning. Driving up the other guy's negatives is the kind of approach you take when you're behind. You hope it hurts them more than it hurts you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Don't forget the posts where we complain about what others are complaining about. It's a never ending cycle.

Ah, what a dumb post!

• Reply 262 of 320
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

PM me with number. Will call her and see if I can help her out.

Peace

I appeciate the offer, but I took care if it.

I haw a rule with family ad friends. I'm mot

rethan happy to assist them with their current Windows PC but if there next one is not a Mac I won't assist them anymore. I have spent too much time doing charity work on Windows.
  • Reply 263 of 320
    jimdkcjimdkc Posts: 17member
    I'd take the cheapest Mac over the most expensive Dell any day.

I would consider the Dell Mini 9 netbook however... since you can easily run OS X on it!

Jim
  • Reply 264 of 320
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Possibly, but I'm still not convinced of the wisdom of Microsoft's approach. Look how long Apple has been running their "I'm a Mac" campaign. It's got legs because it builds the image of the product and the company in the minds of consumers. You see this in a lot of ad campaigns. I think probably the best of them don't try to be momentary and forgettable.

The effectiveness of Apple's ads has already been proven. They're quite brilliant. Several of them have won awards over the years, and if the tech world's Odd Couple isn't memorable, I don't know what is. The I'm A Mac ads are anything but forgettable. And they employ some very subtle and effective techniques. Part of the advantage is that they play on the public consciousness - what we already know, and have known for years, about Windows and generic PCs.
  • Reply 265 of 320
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The effectiveness of Apple's ads has already been proven. They're quite brilliant. Several of them have won awards over the years, and if the tech world's Odd Couple isn't memorable, I don't know what is. The I'm A Mac ads are anything but forgettable. And they employ some very subtle and effective techniques. Part of the advantage is that they play on the public consciousness - what we already know, and have known for years, about Windows and generic PCs.

I don't know how you prove the effectiveness of ad campaigns but even so I think it's obvious that Apple has been working hard to build a positive corporate image in the minds of consumers over the long haul. This is where I question Microsoft's approach. Maybe I need to study Microsoft's ads more closely but from what I've seen they seem to begging consumers to lower their expectations. This doesn't strike me as a long-run strategy. But then very little of what Microsoft does seems to follow a strategy.
  • Reply 266 of 320
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member
    Quote:

Driving up the other guy's negatives is the kind of approach you take when you're behind. You hope it hurts them more than it hurts you.

How can you say that with a straight face?! That's *exactly* the approach Apple takes! Microsoft plays on Apple's negative, which is the high price and very limited choice, and Apple plays on Microsoft's negative, which is viruses and usability. I think it's fair to say that both ad campaigns are as bad as each other - they're like a pair of monkeys flinging poo at each other.

Quote:

This is where I question Microsoft's approach. Maybe I need to study Microsoft's ads more closely but from what I've seen they seem to begging consumers to lower their expectations.

I think you've got that backwards. They're not asking you to lower your expectations, they're saying that your expectations can be met and exceeded, for less money, by buying a PC. Part of it is to do with the extra specs you get for your money, and part of it is to do with the fact that the vast vast majority of users can do everything the Mac can do, just as quickly and efficiently, on a PC, and not have to waste a lot of extra money in the process.
  • Reply 267 of 320
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStink View Post

Not only that, but even people here might not remember them specifically, as every time an article like this comes out, it gets filled with page after page of the same mindless bs, and this will all just blend into one fuzzy memory.

Seriously, I keep reading the same exact thing over and over with people repeating system specs and pricing, or talking about the operating systems, or what consumers "want." Doesn't anyone get tired of it?

you would not be here bitching if YOU WAS tired of the same ole same

your post would not exist
  • Reply 268 of 320
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I don't know how you prove the effectiveness of ad campaigns but even so I think it's obvious that Apple has been working hard to build a positive corporate image in the minds of consumers over the long haul. This is where I question Microsoft's approach. Maybe I need to study Microsoft's ads more closely but from what I've seen they seem to begging consumers to lower their expectations. This doesn't strike me as a long-run strategy. But then very little of what Microsoft does seems to follow a strategy.

There are many metrics. One is survey to see who remembers the ads, if they enjoy watching the ad as opposed to changing the channel, if they understand what the product being advertised was, and if they have purchased or plan to purchase or even looked into the product because of the ad. Another method would be to gauge sales of the product or even "foot traffic" to the B&M and online stores after the commercials starting airing.

Those are just a couple of very simple things you can do without getting into too much detail. There is a lot of number crunching involved, too. The fact is, advertising as a whole does work while is why companies pay so much for it, and when an idea doesn't work (like in the Gates/Seinfeld ads) they drop it for something else. In a related manner, when a company or product name has failed you change it. AIG to AIU, VIsta to Windows 7, .Mac to MobileMe.
  • Reply 269 of 320
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

How can you say that with a straight face?! That's *exactly* the approach Apple takes! Microsoft plays on Apple's negative, which is the high price and very limited choice, and Apple plays on Microsoft's negative, which is viruses and usability. I think it's fair to say that both ad campaigns are as bad as each other - they're like a pair of monkeys flinging poo at each other.

I realize that Apple points out Microsoft's negatives in their ads. I'm not trying to take sides, or make value judgments. I'm only reflecting on which company is using their ad campaign to build a corporate image. Microsoft has always had problems with managing their image; I see this current ad campaign as an extension of this problem.

Quote:

I think you've got that backwards. They're not asking you to lower your expectations, they're saying that your expectations can be met and exceeded, for less money, by buying a PC. Part of it is to do with the extra specs you get for your money, and part of it is to do with the fact that the vast vast majority of users can do everything the Mac can do, just as quickly and efficiently, on a PC, and not have to waste a lot of extra money in the process.

Will all respect, I think I have it forwards, and I think you tipped your hand with your last sentence. Most people don't buy specifications. My point is, selling down is a tactic with limited potential. It may have some value in tough economic times, but it plays to that motivation only.

Quote:

There are many metrics. One is survey to see who remembers the ads, if they enjoy watching the ad as opposed to changing the channel, if they understand what the product being advertised was, and if they have purchased or plan to purchase or even looked into the product because of the ad. Another method would be to gauge sales of the product or even "foot traffic" to the B&M and online stores after the commercials starting airing.

Those are just a couple of very simple things you can do without getting into too much detail. There is a lot of number crunching involved, too. The fact is, advertising as a whole does work while is why companies pay so much for it, and when an idea doesn't work (like in the Gates/Seinfeld ads) they drop it for something else. In a related manner, when a company or product name has failed you change it. AIG to AIU, VIsta to Windows 7, .Mac to MobileMe.

I don't doubt that people in advertising have methods for measuring the effectiveness of their work. I was just being a bit of a skeptic towards the assertion that the "effectiveness of Apple's ads has already been proven." Maybe they have and I haven't read about it. Either way, on a qualitative basis I can certainly see that Apple has been far more effective than Microsoft in targeting their ad campaigns towards building a positive corporate image. The pieces fit together. Microsoft has never been able to represent a coherent corporate image in their advertising. Until recently, they never really had to.
  • Reply 270 of 320
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Part of it is to do with the extra specs you get for your money, and part of it is to do with the fact that the vast vast majority of users can do everything the Mac can do, just as quickly and efficiently, on a PC, and not have to waste a lot of extra money in the process.

No. Not by a mile. You're missing about 20+ years of Apple OS, software, and hardware design, including the game-changing, copied and coveted (but smartly patented) development of OS X, which is basically the highest and most evolved expression of NeXT. Apple's software architecture is what consistently sets it apart from everything else out there. There is a right way and a wrng way to do an OS. And one of the wrong ways is to place the experience in the hands of an ocean of third party hardware peddlers. Licensing killed Windows in terms of what it COULD have been, which is what OS X is NOW and has been for nearly nine years. it's the closed model vs. open model argument. It's a tightly-knit, well-configured environment vs. what you get with XP and Vista, and if MS' track record is anything to go by, what you'll be getting somehow, some way, with Win 7.

Yes, you can do e-mail and surf the net and do work on both operating systems. And you can fell a tree with an axe and a chainsaw. Both will get you the same result in the end.

It's the experience in-between that counts.

When it comes to the tools you use every single day, sometimes for hours on end, there is no such thing as wasting money. Unless you cheap out.
  • Reply 271 of 320
    halvrihalvri Posts: 146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

bullshit

mac in there class are way higher than 4 percent

first off delete from the list all p.c. under 1000 $$

then delete all the cloud clone company sales

then factor in that macs last much longer than most p/cs

\\mac owners love there p/c and take great care of them

also mac are priced for what is inside

Mac's always include the doors and the tire's and the steering wheel

mac os is great

vista sucks

window 7 is vista

and all that is inside like iphoto imovie iweb itunes an on and on all sync together

And all that media 100-gig's to over 2 tb;s worth can hang tough in the mac and out side hard drives . Yet your access to all this media data is the same. And fast too . Open imovie and its all there .

So that movie I am making looks great with cool photo's added and sound good to w/some live pink floyd thrown in . And since I know shit about all this computer stuff I'm happy mac makes is simple and safe to use .

Mac's don't crash

mac users don't spend days on the phone to India

Mac users go to a store and get things fixed on the spot for free .

mac users feel sorry for you guys

Is he freakin' kidding? Do you even understand what backdating means? Do you, for that manner, know that the only person convicted was Apple's legal counsel at the time (because she was the one that told them it was legal). Do you also realize that companies have legal counsel because the legality of an action is not always clear cut given the numerous business laws on the books and the jurisdictions those fall under.

Have you then any idea how numerous the legal violations that Microsoft has perpetrated are? Under current American copyright law, Microsoft could not have ever grown to exist as it does today at all (after all, it simultaneously screwed over three companies to create its own OS).

Apple charges a higher price because it is targeting an entirely different market than Microsoft. However, Microsoft's software isn't exactly cheap. To get the closest equivalent to OS X from MS, you're gonna have to shell out about $350 and all of its Office products are overpriced. $150 for even the simple Home & Student version and up to $700 for the Ultimate version which includes several applications that Adobe and others have far superior alternatives to.

And let's not even begin to talk about how far you have to drag Microsoft before it will license out yet another of its proprietary formats (it almost always requires a governmental authority).

If you think that Apple is the prototypical "big bad wolf," then you're quite naive to say the least.
  • Reply 272 of 320
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    I know. LOL. The BSOD van be a pain to solve, especially if fir some reason you are able to boot to last known working config then that corrupts. Windows writes over the last known config once you see the splash screen.

The really need to come up with a way to get into windows no matter what. Windows 7 seem to be this way which is good. While I am a mac user 99.9% now, in all fairness, if someone builds a machine that is certified for windows, unless you have bad memory, the BSOD will rarely happen. Win 7 has some nice things but it's the little missing things from OSX that makes me crazy. Eg, windows 7 fast search but it should remember what you searched for last. You should not have to retype it every time. For other things like expose, you can download programs that so this. I really hope windows 7 has a lot of the same features of mac osx, even if copied, another eg, auto PDF support -ala preview, and not because I need to see windows grow (would rather see appple grow yet lower their prices, release mid range headless mac pro), but for those times where I have no choice but to run windows.

Honestly, I hope that matt has a great win 7 release and it affects apple, as there really needs to be another option that is small, semi portable, has PCI card slots and 4/8 cores. I think it COULD happen once the 16 cores become mainstream. Then make the 8 fire i7 ( rumored to run FPU aka audio/video plugins faster than xeon) at a lower price without affecting Apples perceived high end branding. Picture a mac pro cut in half. I know it would be very successful.

Peace

Quote:

I appeciate the offer, but I took care if it.

I haw a rule with family ad friends. I'm mot

rethan happy to assist them with their current Windows PC but if there next one is not a Mac I won't assist them anymore. I have spent too much time doing charity work on Windows.

• Reply 273 of 320
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Boooooring!
  • Reply 274 of 320
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Boooooring!

It certainly was until I got to this stirring commentary.
  • Reply 275 of 320
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Working in marketing at one time, and promotions

A&R (any good songwriters/ bands out there, LOL), I would have to agree. The ads are brilliant. You would think with all the cash matt has that they could come up with really good ads as well as os, something along the lines if windows mobile 6.5, very mac like, on the PC instead of windows 7 would be great as while I still prefer macs, I would like to see apple panic so they would eventually release netbook and mid range tower.

That said, with all the ads now from msft, if they do have great features unknown that rock, perhaps msft are getting ready for some huge media blitz. Makes sense. Get people attention now, keep doing it, then boom, apple has some real competition. Right now Apple stands alone. Except fir price which apple doesn't cater to anyway, they are unmatched for those will spwnd the money.
  • Reply 276 of 320
    Quote:

If I were the vp of marketing and promotions, I would hire Sony Acid/Vegas and pixelmator/Adobe employees and create a iLife suite. Honestly, I don't know why this isn't part of thief plan. Then buy Google. LOL.
  • Reply 277 of 320
    Hmm I'm not sure as msft doesn't have a suite similar to iLife, see previous post. What they do have, and should build on it's strengths, is the media player. Since itune rentals and apple tv exist, we'll never see the mac and iPhone live up to it's full potential. Msft has a great tv tuner dvr cable/sattelite dlingbix DVR feature and they should play up to that as well as gaming, being able to choose high end graphic cards. This would be something Apple really couldn't respond to. IMHO.

Quote:

• Reply 278 of 320
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member
    The "fake Lauren" exposed in the first MS laptop hunter ad is just an example of how inherently fake that entire ad campaign is. They try to portray average everyday consumers shopping for a computer, yet the ads themselves are overly wordy and loaded with geek speak. I mean, an average consumer is not going to drop in at Best Buy and start rattling off a technobabble laundry list of gigahertz, gigs of RAM, gigs of hard drive space, etc. Like the Mojave Experiment ads, MS seems like they're trying to gin up a grassroots image for themselves, yet the ads can barely hide the astroturfing.

The latest Apple ads are very effective because they don't get into specs and technobabble. Rather, they remind people who use PCs at work why they hate 'em, and they do it with a sense of humor.
  • Reply 279 of 320
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The Macintosh was never created as the computer for everyone. It was more like the computer for everyone who was willing to pay a premium.

Frankly I like that Macs come with a premium though it cuts both ways and sometimes even I get frustrated but the reality is I like a lot of things that Apple does.

I like that they don't succomb to putting 50 different logos on their computers. I think I can find out that an Apple TV has a HDMI port without having the sticker on the front.

I like that Apple doesn't install much nagware ..in fact I've never had my mac say "your trial period is up ...give us money if you wish to continue" Desktops for sale suck. Even with iPhoto photobooks or printing supplies its there as an options but you aren't harassed about it.

I like that Apple has the balls to move forward.

Getting rid of floppies

Moving to USB

Moving to Displayport

Supporting digital display output (DVI)

How long did it take PC vendors to get rid of parallel ports for chrissake?

Sorry. Apple doesn't ship 17" laptops with GMA graphics. They don't ship 4 pin non-powered Firewire. They don't add card readers to their computers so that you can save $15 on that cheapo Wal Mart reader.

What they do is make elegant computers that are highly functional to the skilled computer user. They made Unix accessible and attractive.

So I don't give damn if a PC user doesn't understand their lineup or doesn't recognize the beautiful and sturdy unibody casing or understand Apple's philosophy. Chances are you're simply not a Apple customer and more better suited to a PC anyways.

If you don't give a damn why did you post. All you can really say about windows is that they may crash oh and the viruses, but hey when I bought the Benz they told me BEWARE of car jackers, guess I should "PAY A PREMIUM" and buy a HUGO, no one is bothering to car jack those. I mean MACs don't have spyware and viruses NOT because they are better, but because the creators "don't bother" Like buying a HUGO, car jacker don't bother.

As far as being not for everyone so true, I mean an iPhone is around $500 (8gb) and it does not even have Bluetooth A2DP. Yeah in 2009 I want to be connested to my phone with WIRED headphones, WTF? So yeah not for every one. A $500 phone that does not copy paste, true, NOT FOR EVERYONE. I mean pleanty of free phones have this but I should pay Apple "A PREMIUM" not to have it. And don't let me forget the FIXED focus camer with no flash, no zoom, not AUTO and/or Manual focus, the best compliment I can give the phone is that it's slim. I can get a FREE Pantec phone from AT&T that has all these missing features, that you pay a PREMIUM for, and you call that MOVING FORWARD. (wired headphones, yeah that's the wave of the future) MAC OS the OS hackers don't even give the time of day. A replacement USB cable for the iPhone $20, LMAO for a USB cable are you crazy. Hey I bet all you MAC fans buy MONSTER HDMI cables too, cause the digital picture looks better with those Monster cables. LOL, that a whole different leson there.

Also quit comparing $2000 MAC to $800 PC, compare $2000 MAC to $2000 PC and the playing field is more even. Yes MAC OS boots faster, IT DOES LESS. Oh and since you are so bothers by the logos, I guess you hate your TV's and DVD players cause any NEW one is PLASTERED with those same labels (yeah a blueray palyer has a HDMI label on the front) guess you couldn't figure it out. As for the card reader, I'm HAPPY the PC makers decided to save me $15 buck and to make it cleaner than having to dig and find and remember to pack some cheesey card reader, but I guess that's why you "PAY A PREMIUM" 17" with low graphics = affordability, who argues that?

Yes it took PC makers to get rid of some legacy components, but only cause when they tried it early people were upset that they had to go buy a new printer cause they decided to take away the parallel port. Something I guess MAC does not cosider but I pay a "PREMIUM" for. So now I have to toss my perfectly good working printer and get a new one. Thanks MAC.

I use my computer for more than just email and internet, and I'm not a DJ. So I need a computer that can adjust without me buying 100 different add-ons. From what I see Apple likes to make you buy extras,so it's a LIMITED OS wich requires you to buy more to get it to work the way you want, that's why you "PAY A PREMIUM" so you can PAY MORE PREMIUMS.

And when did MAC stop crashing? I had one crash on me in the Apple store 2 weeks ago. But I guess to MAC fans if it does not Blue Screen then it's not a crash. But when it locks up and does not respond, that's the Apple Reboot Reminder.

You cannot even truely close an app on the iPhone, you think you do but it is running in the background. Have too many open and you will get the message, "phone running low on memory please reboot. It's a messaage something like that, hmmmm does that count as a crash?

Oh well buy what you want but bottom line, MACs are more LIMITED than PC's. Can I get a simple yes that's true without someone saying oh a PC crashes and they get viruses, REALLY, is this your only defense? MAC, Pay a Premium, get less.

NOTE: DVI satnds for Digital Video Input not Digital Display Output that would be "DDO" but spoken like a true MAC user.
  • Reply 280 of 320
    avguyavguy Posts: 5member
    Is MS giving the "Hunters" the budget mentioned in each ad and letting them keep the change? Or are they only paying for the actual cost of the computer? It seems unclear to me, maybe I'm slow.

If MS gave me money to buy a computer I would spend every penny.