Apple fires its return salvo as Microsoft issues misleading 5th ad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 320
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Facts are Mac users don't run virus protection AND don't have to be "cognizant" of what they're doing. That's a win in my book.

The phishers must LOVE that attitude.
  • Reply 42 of 320
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

For almost 9 years now . . . and no end in sight.

that's not true. you sneeze on it yesterday.
  • Reply 43 of 320
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote Lauren: "I got just what I wanted."

Quote Mom: "She usually does."

And I'd like to see the pictures.

• Reply 44 of 320
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

The phishers must LOVE that attitude.

What do Trey and the boys have to do with this?
  • Reply 45 of 320
    jwervel16jwervel16 Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imapcandmac View Post

I would think Apple would be above this...

"Above" it? This isn't a high school insult. It's a massive negative ad blitz. Apple has no choice but to respond.
  • Reply 46 of 320
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Really, I thought I was the first ever. Thank you for correcting me!

A lot of Mac users aren't cognizant, just read the forums.

New Macs do come with iLife but you must purchase every year to stay current. I wouldn't say this is absolutely free. iPhoto sucks as it is not a real photo editor and forces a directory structure on the user. Picasa is much better and free as an organizer and PhotoShop Elements is a great cheap editor. Too bad the Mac version is always a year behind. Windows Photo Gallery that comes with Vista is better than iPhoto IMO. iMovie is a joke anymore and not much better than Movie Maker. I would recommend buying a better video editor. iDVD is very limited and there are free alternatives for the PC. Likewise, there are several free Web creators for the PC with more capability. I personally have not used GarageBand much (nor do I know many that have) so I cannot comment.

Wanker!
  • Reply 47 of 320
    igod 2.0igod 2.0 Posts: 77member
    Quote:

It is funny to see Apple feel the need to respond to the Microsoft ads. I would think Apple would be above this if they were not worried about the ads.

I use own a PC and a Macbook Pro and run Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux regularly. I love my Macbook Pro but I have had Mac OS X lock up and have had to do 'Forced Quits' more on the Mac than the PC (running Vista and Windows 7). I have found the the Mac vs. PC ads filled with lies and half truths for a long time. It is funny that as soon as Microsoft plays this deception game that the Apple cult following gets their panties in a bunch.

Both operating systems are great and I find it nice to run them for differing purposes. Can't we just all get long?

Are you trying to play both sides or something. What the hell do you have a MacBook Pro for if you have a PC that does what you want???? And I have been using a Mac for 3 years now and never had to Force Quit anything. What the hell are you doing????
  • Reply 48 of 320
    sipadansipadan Posts: 107member
    Quote:

The Macintosh was never created as the computer for everyone. It was more like the computer for everyone who was willing to pay a premium.

What they do is make elegant computers that are highly functional to the skilled computer user. They made Unix accessible and attractive.

So I don't give damn if a PC user doesn't understand their lineup or doesn't recognize the beautiful and sturdy unibody casing or understand Apple's philosophy. Chances are you're simply not a Apple customer and more better suited to a PC anyways.

Totally agree with you. I may be an elitist jerk but I like Apple as a niche brand, as I think the biggest danger for their products quality is to get too "mainstream". I don't think they need to answer MS ridiculous ads, nor that they should go down the lowest price route.
  • Reply 49 of 320
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

Apple isn't content to depend solely on marketing to correct this perceived distortion of its value. As learned last month, it plans to produce less expensive Macs in the near future that the Cupertino firm hopes will cancel out Microsoft's few remaining arguments against switching to a Mac.

Let's face reality. Macs have a 4% world market share because they are way too expensive.

Why are Macs so expensive? Because Apple's senior management destroyed the company by raising the prices of Macs way beyond anything reasonable so that they could line their pockets with billions of dollars of illegal, backdated stock option bonuses.

That's why Macs are way too expensive for Apple to grow beyond a 4% world market share. Shame on those individuals who placed their own self interest ahead of the company's interest.

By the way, what's keeping them from lowering prices RIGHT NOW?
  • Reply 50 of 320
    what's to stop Lauren & her Mum 'dropping by' the Apple film set and fessing up about their awful purchase. Contracts?
  • Reply 51 of 320
    frogbatfrogbat Posts: 69member
    you ask why are macs so expensive? i ask why are pc's so cheap????

there's gotta be a catch and savvy shoppers are aware that cheaper doesn't always mean better. The difference between mac and pc laptops for the most part is that apple puts proper rnd in its hardware and manufacturing (just look at the magsafe adaptor) and sw.

now what bothers me about these ads isn't the fact they are misleading but it feels like they're implying that anyone who bought a mac got screwed on price because they didn't do their homework. I believe you'll find most mac users bought their first mac out of detailed research and comparisons or wanted to get away from windows and its er quirks.

i remember one of the reasons i bought my first mac (imac, blueberry) was because there was nothing to tell apart all the pcs - i went for something in which more thought was put in rather than another beige box.
  • Reply 52 of 320
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Daughter will look like that in 20 years.
  • Reply 53 of 320
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:

Look you're not the first guy to pop on these boards with the

"Well I have a Mac too so my opinion counts"

Facts are Mac users don't run virus protection AND don't have to be "cognizant" of what they're doing. That's a win in my book.

New Mac purchasers get iLife for free without

iLife is pretty cool but to get all the features you really need the .mac account at $99 per year.

Also, if virus is a win in you book, as well as 50% of these posts, don't you find it ironic that all apple machines have virus protection except fit the models for sale on the floor?????

Ask anyone who works for apple, they will tell you that all networked macs connected to corprate have virus protection, timbuktu and apple can view/spy on any machine being used in Cupertino to apple stores. Sort if like secret service, they believe local police are trustworthy enough to guards it's citizens butas soon as the president arrives, all of them walk around with empty holsters. Take note next time you see footage. Anyway the point is virus protection not needed for consumers, but a must have for all apple machines.

Hmmmmmm
  • Reply 54 of 320
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Sure, for most people. That's why Windows has such a high share. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

But for enough people, perhaps between 5% and 8% (but growing fairly rapidly, and in my view, a share that will level off at 10% or so globally), it's also about a far better OS, no malware, no spyware, no techie-BS, the integration of the computer with their personal lives (iLife, iPod, iPhone, @tv) and so forth. There is a sufficient group out there - and it's not Lauren and her mom - that are happy with that situation. No one has a gun to their heads.

Btw, if anyone is signaling panic and desperation with these ads, it surely must be MSFT: they must be seeing something happening in their customer/channel pipeline about switching behavior that we don't yet.

Actually as one poster said the of crowd loves the msft ads the mac users do not, it could also be in preperation for a huge media blitz with win 7 and mobile 6.5. The mist shocking is, I have a few fanatic apple MacBook airfriends, you know the type, very consumer, not an editor or audio pro, but loves media,apple tv and rents all the movies. Anyway, many of them said thy love the new windows 7 media controls and I have to agree, with a tuner hooked up to a PC/TV it becomes a great media device something that sine apple has iTunes and apple tv, the mac will never become the media hub it could be. Think about it. A friend says, hey, check out this show, sends you a 200MB 1/2 xvid show that you watch on your tv, plus mullins of movies online, apple forces you in apple tv or iTunes with $$$$$$ attached to everything. For media nuts, the of rocks if course nothing can stop you from downloading xvid movies from limewire on a mac, problem is, the media player/tuner/recorder is years behind windows and will never live to fullest potential due to apple tv and iTunes. iPhone suffers from the same thing. As new smart phones come out streaming tv, movies, the iPhone will be smoked and mirrors with a new ilife recording consume sharing camping tripmin Rome program, a novelty when most consumers really want to watch their tv shows, do top dvr, watch full sports games and favorite tv shows. Is as if apple has painted themsleves into a corner.
  • Reply 55 of 320
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

Wanker!

are we allowed to say that? because its so true of a minority of posters here, i'd use the term more often.
  • Reply 56 of 320
    Quote:

The Macintosh was never created as the computer for everyone. It was more like the computer

Moving to Displayport

Supporting digital display output (DVI)

How long did it take PC vendors to get rid of parallel ports for chrissake?

Sorry. Apple doesn't ship 17" laptops with GMA graphics. .

But if you want a dedicated gpu you have to spend $2000.

Also, is everyone here a noob? Not made for everyone?????? Go back and watch jobs into the first iMac. He said his vision was to see these in every home. It never happened. They ended up in assistants desks for the entertainment business. Even back then they were over priced but at the time, had better graphicss. Today, any mac product could run a dedicated GPU, however apple fears the pro users, less than .02 %, would use the cheapmsystem instead if shelling out two grand. How sad is that? The hands that kept apple afloat until the iPod and iPhone saved apple is slapped in the face. To make matters worse, most apple classes, one to one, ( which used to be pro care combined with 1 to 1), most trainers have no idea how to work motion, shakes, FCP, all they know is iLife. The pro user have been ignored. Now they say this is what we will see this year at WWDC, logic, FCP, but this doesn't mean trainers will be plentyful as the will be to busy teaching the new novalty, ishare video phone camping trip recorder mobile me iPhone software with a new website and all, just like facebook and myspace. You heard it here first.
  • Reply 57 of 320
    djdjdjdj Posts: 74member
    [QUOTE=imapcandmac;1417497]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I have scanned occasionally (with free software) but do not run real time scanning. I also have a hardware firewall built into my Linksys Access Point.

I can corroborrate his story with one of my own. I've been running Windows for 15 years, and I have NEVER had a single virus, EVER! Not one. I do install anti-virus software because that's what you're "supposed to do" but I turn off the real-time protection to avoid its performance penalty. The weekly/monthly scans ALWAYS come up clean.

Viruses are a SOCIAL problem, not a TECHNICAL problem. It's a matter of tricking someone into installing software on their computer that they don't want. It isn't like viruses just magically appear on a computer without help from its user. It just doesn't happen if you keep the system up to date. When virus writers start targeting the Mac, the same problems will happen there, though to a lesser extent due to better education of the public these days.

For Apple to imply that Windows automatically becomes filled with viruses is in itself deceptive. For Apple to imply that Windows always crashes is deceptive. My Mac is BY FAR my least stable computer; at least once a week it locks up while in sleep mode. It also loses its network connection frequently too. (And yes, all available updates have been applied to it.) My 8 PCs all run without lockups, restarts, or crashes, and do so indefinitely. The only reboots they get are for security updates (which OS X also has periodically as well, incidentally).

The 13" MacBook vs 15" MacBook price thing is indeed a little deceptive. But to ignore the fact that Apple uses deceptive practices in their own ads is a little less than truthful as well. They have to stretch the truth too to make their point.
  • Reply 58 of 320
    Some good points.

Intersting that while documented, air port always drops signal, sometime programs stay running after shutting notebook getting very hot, trouble waking system up, trackpad problems, the beach ball that spins and spins. LOL. And I used to do tech work and know how to maintain, run scripts, onyx, st cetera. All computers have problems thing is you wont read about it that much and if you post that on the Pple site, it will get deleted under the so called apple agreement that's says you can't say anything negative. LOL. Just helping out the little guy. Don't worry folks. Apple will be facing times Le never before which means more products better prices for us.

[QUOTE=djdj;1417578]
    Quote:

I can corroborrate his story with one of my own. I've been running Windows for 15 years, and I have NEVER had a single virus, EVER! Not one. I do install anti-virus software because that's what you're "supposed to do" but I turn off the real-time protection to avoid its performance penalty. The weekly/monthly scans ALWAYS come up clean.

Viruses are a SOCIAL problem, not a TECHNICAL problem. It's a matter of tricking someone into installing software on their computer that they don't want. It isn't like viruses just magically appear on a computer without help from its user. It just doesn't happen if you keep the system up to date. When virus writers start targeting the Mac, the same problems will happen there, though to a lesser extent due to better education of the public these days.

For Apple to imply that Windows automatically becomes filled with viruses is in itself deceptive. For Apple to imply that Windows always crashes is deceptive. My Mac is BY FAR my least stable computer; at least once a week it locks up while in sleep mode. It also loses its network connection frequently too. (And yes, all available updates have been applied to it.) My 8 PCs all run without lockups, restarts, or crashes, and do so indefinitely. The only reboots they get are for security updates (which OS X also has periodically as well, incidentally).

The 13" MacBook vs 15" MacBook price thing is indeed a little deceptive. But to ignore the fact that Apple uses deceptive practices in their own ads is a little less than truthful as well. They have to stretch the truth too to make their point.

• Reply 59 of 320
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Company creates misleading ad, news at 10.

(Let's not forget Apple's recent misleading ads that got the British Advertising Standards Agency so upset).

Sometimes I wish I lived in the US so I could see these slagging matches. The PC vs. Mac adverts petered out pretty quickly in the UK. Funnily enough, Microsoft's "I'm a PC" ads lasted far longer. Good work, Microsoft, responding to an ad finished at least six months ago. That's a real good use of money.
  • Reply 60 of 320
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGod 2.0 View Post

Are you trying to play both sides or something. What the hell do you have a MacBook Pro for if you have a PC that does what you want???? And I have been using a Mac for 3 years now and never had to Force Quit anything. What the hell are you doing????

You know, I was thinking the same. I can't remember the last time I force quit. He must be screwing something up for his system having to be forced to quit so often.