Apple prepping iPod nano with camera, three new iPhones - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

I know what you mean. Though it can be argued that an iPhone and even an iPod is a computer. I kind of miss the exitement over new upcoming machines and OS.

meh, new computer hardware are like toasters anymore. All pretty much do the same thing as the last generation. i only register excitement when there are new capabilities. Who really cares about the new iMac if all it does is go zoom zoom * 2 vs the previous gen?
  • Reply 22 of 88
    sziwansziwan Posts: 25member
    "countries with the most capable wireless networks, like the United States"

Is this a joke? Seriously, I know that in regards to mobile telephony, AI is oblivious to where the rest of the world (you know, those countries outside the US) stands, but this is low even for their standards. Guys, you started doing commercial-scale HSDPA deployments a year ago. The rest of the world's been there for at least 2 years longer.

Back on topic, if this is true, I think it'd be one of the most stupid product differentiations in the whole industry. The practical difference between HSDPA 7.2 and 3.6 is negligible unless you're in direct proximity of the base station (think WiFi advertised vs. real bandwidth) and even if it wasn't, most people wouldn't even care or notice.
  • Reply 23 of 88
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    A "less scratchable matte plastic body?" You mean a non-mirrored iPod/iPhone surface that's NOT a fingerprint magnet? Steve would NEVER let it happen.
  • Reply 24 of 88
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    is they seem to have seriously redesigned the radio. For the better, I should say, regardlessly if they would give me longer battery life or not.
  • Reply 25 of 88
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    I love how with the 1st gen iPhone, apple used this beautiful matte-aluminium for the back face, but once it needed to be mass-produced, plastic took over ... I don't care if it's shiny black, white, or is covered in gold leaf, plastic feels cheap to me, and I love my 1st gen iPhone. Wish they'd go back to that. My guess was that the switch also had something to do with blocking the wifi/telephone signal though, not just price cuts.

Oh and there's no way the camera on the nano would be down the bottom, I've eaten crow here a couple of times (not a word!), but I feel pretty safe saying it'll be at the top-centre if it's there at all. Makes no sense to have to change position just to snap something, plus it looks daaamned ugly being sideways next to the text like that.

Just a thought.

Jimzip
  • Reply 26 of 88
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Hmm... right where EVERYONE is going to be holding their ipod from? Stupid. It will be up the top with the screen if it's anywhere.

Impossible to see what you are photographing and push the button .... unless you hold it only by those very, very thin edges! Under the screen makes more sense.

But ...

This might work if you held it upside down while taking a picture. You'd have to hold it by the edges around the video screen with your thumb and two/three fingers so you could see and push the button with the other hand. Just holding my very small Nokia work cellphone, this seems to be workable. You might be able to do it one handed.
  • Reply 27 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

A "less scratchable matte plastic body?" You mean a non-mirrored iPod/iPhone surface that's NOT a fingerprint magnet? Steve would NEVER let it happen.

Silly as it sounds, I know ladies who didn't want an iPhone because of the fingerprints gathering on the touch screen.
  • Reply 28 of 88
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

I miss Apple the Computer Company

You ain't seen nothin yet. Wait til the iTVs arrive- to be followed by the iCameras, iRefrigerators, iAirconditioners etc. But they're all still computers because they'll all sport app widgets running off some sort of OS.
  • Reply 29 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

meh, new computer hardware are like toasters anymore.

I forgot the iToaster.
  • Reply 30 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sziwan View Post

"countries with the most capable wireless networks, like the United States"

Is this a joke? Seriously, I know that in regards to mobile telephony, AI is oblivious to where the rest of the world (you know, those countries outside the US) stands, but this is low even for their standards. Guys, you started doing commercial-scale HSDPA deployments a year ago. The rest of the world's been there for at least 2 years longer.

Back on topic, if this is true, I think it'd be one of the most stupid product differentiations in the whole industry. The practical difference between HSDPA 7.2 and 3.6 is negligible unless you're in direct proximity of the base station (think WiFi advertised vs. real bandwidth) and even if it wasn't, most people wouldn't even care or notice.

I don't know about the state of HSDPA elsewhere, have they implemented beyond the 7.2Mb/s ? By the "rest of the world," I assume you mean Europe. The new iPhone will cover these networks unless they are already above 7.2 Mb/s, which you say is essentially useless. Sounds like there is room for improvement in those networks, and they won't challenge the iPhone's new capacities for awhile. There are plans to push beyond 7.2 in 2010/2011 in the US, I believe, still using HSDPA.

I'd be wary about actually ever actually getting 7.2Mb/s, but I'd expect faster than the 3.6. I think people would notice twice as fast. I usually get 1-1.8Mb/s on my iPhone 3G.
  • Reply 31 of 88
    New Nano sounds great- never liked the current one (though never stated it ). A larger screen sounds much better. Surprised the wheel stays- thought the new shuffle was the wave of the future with no controls.
  • Reply 32 of 88
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Yes, but how often do you hold in landscape? Less than 50% of the time. They could put it above with the screen and affect neither.

No logic there.

I don't know. Most pictures are taken in landscape.
  • Reply 33 of 88
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

I don't know about the state of HSDPA elsewhere, have they implemented beyond the 7.2Mb/s ? By the "rest of the world," I assume you mean Europe. The new iPhone will cover these networks unless they are already above 7.2 Mb/s, which you say is essentially useless. Sounds like there is room for improvement in those networks, and they won't challenge the iPhone's new capacities for awhile. There are plans to push beyond 7.2 in 2010/2011 in the US, I believe, still using HSDPA.

I'd be wary about actually ever actually getting 7.2Mb/s, but I'd expect faster than the 3.6. I think people would notice twice as fast. I usually get 1-1.8Mb/s on my iPhone 3G.

If you read above, you'd see I've mentioned Australia has 14.4Mb/s, and is planning on another round of upgrading soon.
  • Reply 34 of 88
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't know. Most pictures are taken in landscape.

Even so... would you want to take a photo after putting your greasy fingers all over the lens to play music?
  • Reply 35 of 88
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

Silly as it sounds, I know ladies who didn't want an iPhone because of the fingerprints gathering on the touch screen.

Are they criminals or something. They can wear gloves you know. That way no one knows.
  • Reply 36 of 88
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    New Nano will also have the Shuffle features like the voice and headphones control.
  • Reply 37 of 88
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    I don't buy the camera in the Nano... in the iPod touch I can see it being useful as so many apps could draw from it.... what will you do with the low res photos you snap on your nano? Just about everyone I see with a nano also has a mobile phone with a >2.0Mpx camera on it anyhow, what's the value without the software that the iPhone/iPod touch brings?
  • Reply 38 of 88
    ...means there could be hope for a Verizon version perhaps?
  • Reply 39 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

I love how with the 1st gen iPhone, apple used this beautiful matte-aluminium for the back face, but once it needed to be mass-produced, plastic took over ... I don't care if it's shiny black, white, or is covered in gold leaf, plastic feels cheap to me, and I love my 1st gen iPhone. Wish they'd go back to that. My guess was that the switch also had something to do with blocking the wifi/telephone signal though, not just price cuts.

Actually, it's better for the 3G and GPS to have plastic rather than metal.
  • Reply 40 of 88
    Quote:

Even so... would you want to take a photo after putting your greasy fingers all over the lens to play music?

I'm just commenting on the landscape vs vertical position of a camera, or the iPhone, when taking pictures.

Most compact cameras, the ones with those little lenses, have them at the top right side, looking at the front of the camera.