Apple prepping iPod nano with camera, three new iPhones - report

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

People f in the sauna at my gym.

Yes, but were you allowed to take a cellphone photo?
  • Reply 82 of 88
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I forgot the iToaster.

What about iRon?

(iIron doesn't sound nice)
  • Reply 83 of 88
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Hmm... right where EVERYONE is going to be holding their ipod from? Stupid. It will be up the top with the screen if it's anywhere.

The problem I see is that putting it at the top would either push the screen down or make the device thicker if its behind the screen. I don't think those ideas will fly out of Apple, particularly the thicker part. Of course, this may be just one of those things that they have to make a choice/compromise, because they all have undesirable factors going against them. though personally, I think pushing down the screen a bit wouldn't be a big deal to my sensibilities, depending on how it's presented, and I think some visual slight of hand such as what Apple does with their notebooks right now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

1.5:1 makes no sense to me (except that some still cameras use that ratio). All new TV production is 1.79:1 and movies are either 1.85 or 2.39:1, except for some European productions where some are 1.66:1. Only pre-1954 movies are 1.33:1. You don't want to letterbox such a small screen. While 1.5:1 is better than 1.33:1, it's still not wide enough.

Let me get this right, you are going to watch a feature length movie composed and designed for screens measured in several feet or meters, and run for well over an hour, on a 2" screen? Really, in the case of the nano (the root of this thread), that's what you seem to be arguing. If that's true, I wish I had your fortitude. At any rate, I don't see why feature films is a justifiable reason to push the screen aspect ratio of a hand held device in a certain way. Just as movies don't stick with one aspect ratio, I don't think hand held devices should be forced into any one of them either.

If you want to talk about digital still cameras, most are 4:3 or 3:2. Some offer a 16:9 mode, but that's not so common, and I think those cameras usually offer it by cropping pixel rows the top and bottom, not by adding pixel columns to the sides. Even two of my HD camcorders have a 4:3 sensor, they record HD by using only a 16:9 frame within that, not recording the top and bottom portions.
  • Reply 84 of 88
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

six configurations: two capacities each for three different models that will sport wireless hardware to match the speeds of wireless networks across the world.

... countries with the most capable wireless networks... capable of 7.2Mbps downloads while

other countries receive a version similar to the current iPhone 3G capable of 3.6Mbps ...

China would reportedly get its own version

I have to wonder if we're really talking about 3 almost identical new iPhones - differentiated just by their radio version. I think this could be about the US' unique choice of frequencies, compared with Europe's choice of frequencies, and lastly different TD-SCDMA standards in China.

ie: It's not about speed of networks at all (just frequencies).

In Australia, Telstra has the fastest network (14 or 21Mbps) on 850Mhz 3G (like AT&T). Vodafone & Optus use 900Mhz and 2100Mhz (more European) and haven't set it up as fast as Telstra yet. When we buy Nokia's 3G phones we have to choose whether it's the 850Mhz OR 900Mhz UMTS version - since there isn't a single UMTS chip that does 850 AND 900 3G. They both support the same GSM and 2100Mhz 3G.

Quote:

Each of the three models is said to look nearly identical to the current iPhone but sport a "less scratchable matte plastic body."

So I'd hope that each phone would have a faster ARM chip, 802.11n, videography, HD playback etc. - then it's just customised to 3 cellular technologies. It would give some credibility to the rumours of Apple talking with Sprint (a 4th cellular technology - though I doubt it came to anything).

Quote:

Apple will introduce a new version of its iPod nano with a wider screen and built-in camera later this year after first introducing three new iPhone models distinguished by their network hardware

I wonder when the iPod will jump to the iPhone ARM processor and OS.... even without touch screen or apps etc.

It'd be interesting to have iPods & iPhones & new AppleTV all being great ways of getting iTunes shows on your TV.
  • Reply 85 of 88
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Phones are banned at my gym.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

People f in the sauna at my gym.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Yes, but were you allowed to take a cellphone photo?

Clearly this all means that teckstud and Dunks go to the same gym where people f**k and as such phones are banned. In fact, techstud and Dunks probably have "run across" each other. Enjoy dropping the soap in the showers, fellas... Hey man, it's all cool.

All of this has nothing to do, of course, with the new iPhone 3G.

BTW I like the shiny black back. Wait... liking shiny black backs... this may have something to do with the first paragraph above.
  • Reply 86 of 88
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Bullshit, as usual.

You have no understanding whatsoever of the company you love to comment on.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he was joking.
  • Reply 87 of 88
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Clearly this all means that teckstud and Dunks go to the same gym where people f**k and as such phones are banned. In fact, techstud and Dunks probably have "run across" each other. Enjoy dropping the soap in the showers, fellas... Hey man, it's all cool.

All of this has nothing to do, of course, with the new iPhone 3G.

BTW I like the shiny black back. Wait... liking shiny black backs... this may have something to do with the first paragraph above.

Phones are banned at most gyms, fool.

But you've probaly never even been to one - that would interfere with your fetish for shiny black plasticy backs.
  • Reply 88 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

You mean fourth-generation iPod nano.

Someone finally picked this up.. except, they mean fifth-generation iPod nano.

Third-gen was the short fat one, which I quite liked incidently.

They have it right futher down in the article.