Palm Pre syncs with iTunes on a Mac just like an iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Palm's upcoming Pre handset is again making headlines this week after it was discovered that early production units contain native support for syncing with Apple's iTunes software as if they were built by the iPhone maker itself.

Fortune notes that this isn't an entirely new revelation, given that it was mentioned back in January during the Consumer Electronics Show, but only recently has the tech media really clamped down on the matter.

"Plug a Pre into a Mac and it syncs, seamlessly, with Apple’s iTunes," the financial publication reports. "In fact, the iTunes Store treats the Pre just as it would an iPod or an iPhone with one exception: it can’t handle old copy-protected songs."

While there have been a handful of third party hacks that allow iTunes to recognize some of Palm's existing handsets, the Pre is believed to have such code built natively into its firmware. At issue is how Palm may be achieving this particular result and whether Apple will condone encroachment on its tightly controlled ecosystem by one of its rivals.

The development of the Pre, due to launch just days before the iPhone maker is expected to take the wraps off its latest line of handsets, has been spearheaded by a number of former Apple employees who are privy to the underpinnings of the company's technology. Among them is Palm president Jon Rubinstein, who spent years overseeing the development of iPods over in Cupertino.

Many industry watchers believe the Pre represents the greatest threat to the iPhone yet. It features similar touch-screen technology and an attractive new webOS that appears to take several design cues from Apple's iPhone software with some added bells and whistles to boot.

During a recent conference call, acting Apple chief executive Tim Cook vowed to vigorously defend against any competitor who treads on his company's intellectual property, but stopped short of calling out Palm by name.

"I'm not talking about any specific company.* I'm just making a general statement," he said.*"We think competition is good, it makes us better.* But we will not stand to have our IP ripped off.* We'll use whatever weapons we have at our disposal.* I don't know that I can be more clear than that."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 124
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    this could be interesting....
  • Reply 2 of 124
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Kew-el!

Looks like Palm is backing Apple into a corner- Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Palm is clearly playing Apple's iTunes Windows hand. Brilliant!
  • Reply 3 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

this could be interesting....

It should be cool. The only reason I have an iPod is because I have iTune purchased video content. If I could get rid of the DRM and still have the content, there would be no iPods, and for sure no iPhones in my house. Hell, I don't even put music on the iPod I have. I use my Nokia E75 as my music player via a BT Streaming headset.
  • Reply 4 of 124
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

It should be cool. The only reason I have an iPod is because I have iTune purchased video content. If I could get rid of the DRM and still have the content, there would be no iPods, and for sure no iPhones in my house. Hell, I don't even put music on the iPod I have. I use my Nokia E75 as my music player via a BT Streaming headset.

Right...but the Pre won't play the DRMed content you bought.

What will be interesting to see is how Palm achieves this. If the Pre just syncs with the iTunes Music folder, I don't see how Apple can stop that. If, however, it somehow shows up in iTunes' Source list, I would expect a lawsuit pronto.
  • Reply 5 of 124
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    So?

Apple can disable this if they like.

I also wish Pre users the best of luck in accessing App Store content and playing iTunes Store's feature-length movies and TV shows.
  • Reply 6 of 124
    striker_kkstriker_kk Posts: 246member
    This was mentioned way back in January.

Implies Apple is aware of it.

My guess is OS 3.0 comes with next version of iTunes that stops Pre from achieving this.
  • Reply 7 of 124
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Kew-el!

Looks like Palm is backing Apple into a corner- Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Palm is clearly playing Apple's iTunes Windows hand. Brilliant!

You still do not get it, it is like buying tires that work on one car, yes they work and run well, but they do not fit on any other car but yours.

Of course apple could limit this access, but most likely they will not, since other plug-ins allow you to do the same thing for other players. What Apple offers that no one else does right now is a total seamless integration of their technology, It just works and other companies can make other elements of their technology work, but not as well as Apple.

I highly double palm is backing anyone into any corners.
  • Reply 8 of 124
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

What will be interesting to see is how Palm achieves this. If the Pre just syncs with the iTunes Music folder, I don't see how Apple can stop that. If, however, it somehow shows up in iTunes' Source list, I would expect a lawsuit pronto.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

This was mentioned way back in January.

Implies Apple is aware of it.

My guess is OS 3.0 comes with next version of iTunes that stops Pre from achieving this.

When i first read about this I figured Palm would simply build an app to parse the iTunes Library XML file. The ability to jump on board the iTunes app itself seems like a very short lived option for Palm. Then again, Palm may be short lived, too.
  • Reply 9 of 124
    > just like an iPhone

Wow, sterling praise indeed.

Actually I have finally found one feature on the Pre I like... they have a "reminders" feature that you can attach to someone in your Contacts, and the next time you get in touch with them (perhaps only on phone calls, who knows) it pops up the reminder. I think this is great, I'd use it all the time!

Cupertino, fire up your photocopiers!

Maury
  • Reply 10 of 124
    (oops, didn't read the original well enough)
  • Reply 11 of 124
    randythotrandythot Posts: 109member
    If the Pre gets legs or not, I wonder if Apple thinks Palm's IP is worth a buyout?
  • Reply 12 of 124
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

When i first read about this, i thought there would be a Palm app for Windows/OSX that would just parse the iTunes Library XML file. The ability to jump on board the iTunes app itself seems like a very short lived option for Palm. Then again, Palm may be short lived, too.

Yeah,

Apple will release iTunes 8.2 with iPhone 3.0.

I doubt they'll allow this to go on for very long... or maybe they will... (bad press etc)
  • Reply 13 of 124
    I'm all for competition in the mobile market....we all benefit....the Pre looks like a really nice device. The biggest problems for all other devices except for the iPhone are the following:

1. No great apps

2. Pathetic SDK

3. No 70/30 or similar split for developers.

4. Horrible App stores.

I have zero motivation to port my iPhone apps to the Pre or any other device for that matter. If these other mobile developers got a clue about creating all of the above listed items, you would see droves of iPhone developers porting apps...but they are all to busy trying to play "catch-up" with the new hardware.

People will get the Pre, much like the Storm and wonder, when are the 40,000 apps coming! Probably never. Sounds like a quick death for Pre if they want to truly compete with the iPhone. I was hoping Palm would have announced "Amazing SDK, Amazing App Store, Amazing Music/Video Store".....instead I hear....."Pre will sync with iTunes"...what an amazing let down.....LOL I want to shake hands with the President....LOL...I dont want to shake hands with a guy who shakes hands with the President.....get my drift?
  • Reply 14 of 124
    migueldfmigueldf Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Nokia with symbian is like a bad car with square tires, it could be bad, but is even worse.
  • Reply 15 of 124
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Interesting, indeed. If I were Apple, I'd just let them go ahead.

Personally I agree with the WSJ:

http://247wallst.com/2009/04/15/twel...ill-disappear/, (...The launch of the “Pre” is a disaster in the making...)

and Sprint may not have much life left in it either. As for the Pre, the physical keyboard makes it unnecessary complicated. Same with the removable battery, I believe that Palm made a big mistake and focussed on the initial complaints of the iPhone. In the mean time, we know that Apple's on-screen keyboard as well as the non-removable battery was the result of a lot of thought and done very deliberately.

Once familiar with Apple's on-screen keyboard, typing is faster than on a physical keyboard and I for one have never had the need to replace the battery.

So let the Sprint customers connect to iTunes and buy songs. Once they see the App-store, they might regret their purchase of the Pre!

But interesting, yes!
  • Reply 16 of 124
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If Apple stop this then shame on them. I for one welcome this. Apple should provide an API for all music player makers, so they can have the iTunes experience, just like the iPod. Apple should compete by making the best product, not by tying everyone else off from iTunes. It's sometimes nice to be liked too. That in itself brings business and improves your company image. Even the Apple haters would congratulate Apple on this one, which would be a clever move.
  • Reply 17 of 124
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    boygeniuereport had a review of the Pre this morning. summary is that it's nothing special.

i'll take an 8GB Iphone for $99 over the Pre after reading that review
  • Reply 18 of 124
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

the talk is that it shows in the source window.

and I don't know that Apple will actually do anything. after all, the Pre working natively with iTunes means the potential for more music sales. Apple might actually be keen on the idea. they still have the apps store as an exclusive.

also in regards to Tim's comments. I think that folks are taking it a step too far. it was said as the whole Psystar thing was heating up and it was likely about that as well as the Pre and other devices. a warning to folks that Apple is tired of being the target of suits for 'stealing' from other folks and would be going after those that commit the same offense against them. the lack of a suit by this point is a good sign that there's no reason for Apple to believe Palm stole from them so may the best man win.
  • Reply 19 of 124
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    This is great, but I'm sure I've heard about some Creative players natively interfacing with iTunes before. I doubt the Pre handles Apple Lossless files though.
  • Reply 20 of 124
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    with sclerosis