New 16GB, 32GB iPhones appear in Carphone Warehouse systems

Comments

• Reply 21 of 116
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    When I bought my 16GB iPhone I though I am not going to be able to fill it up and now I have less than 1GB of space left. I guess I will go with the 32GB next time. Let's hope AT&T offer some type of an upgrade option for us who have the iPhone 3G.
  • Reply 22 of 116
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Maybe because Palm gave out review models to reviewers asking them not to publish any findings before a certain date (= embargo), which is a common practice. If Apple has not handed out review models yet (likely, as they have not even introduced the device yet), then there can not be an embargo... "we give you nothing and you are not supposed to write about it" does not really work?

Apple has definitely given out phones to some people. In an interview Mossberg said that he was reviewing the iPhone, but wouldn't comment on it until his review came out.

No doubt there are others.

The difference is that Palm showed their phone publicly, while Apple didn't.

But again, as I said to Teckstud, its just a matter of semantics.

Why do we even care?
  • Reply 23 of 116
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

What's good for the Touch is good for the iPhone. Does this mean a 64gb Touch is due Sept? Now that would be amazing!

f that. Go for the 120gb Apple!

Actually, what would be REALLY cool is if the next touch had expandable memory.
  • Reply 24 of 116
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Besides, the word is just semantics. Apple doesn't give public showings, and Palm does. Remember they showed that almost-a-netbook product, but didn't even produce it?

Apple might feel that they don't want to show something just in case they make major changes later.

Understood, but if memory serves, iPhone was orignally shown publicly by Jobs himself in February before a June release.
  • Reply 25 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

All for that- and a replaceable battery. But Apple don't go for either of dat- not part of their planned obsolescence doctrine.
  • Reply 26 of 116
    Quote:

Understood, but if memory serves, iPhone was orignally shown publicly by Jobs himself in February before a June release.

That was the very first time. They haven't done it since.

But, as I said, it's just semantics.

While jobs waved it around, and gave a very few a short chance to try it, Palm put it into many hands.

Palm also raised expectations that it would be shown more often, while Apple gave no such hints.

But I really don't know why people care.
  • Reply 27 of 116
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    A friend was told at an AT&T store that if he bought an iPhone 3G (this was in March) he would not be able to buy any new models coming out later in the year even if he paid full price! I do believe him when he says he was told this - he's been waiting so he can get the new one. He did buy one to convert to a non-functioning "developer's platform," if that is the correct term.

This sounded crazy. Has anyone else been told this?? Is some guy behind the counter at AT&T making up policy from the hip? I fail to see why this would be the case, unless they are trying to target only NEW AT&T customers and luring them with a limited supply of new iPhones. This just doesn't make sense for Apple at all. That cuts out a lot of dedicated customers!
  • Reply 28 of 116
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

There are quite some indications that the new models will roll out pretty soon. At least five people were independently advised by the hotline of T-Mobile Germany (exclusive iPhone partner here) that they will offer the new model as per the 16th of June. While a Tuesday sounds unlikely, it might be a better idea than dealing with failing activations and an overloaded network over the weekend?!

Europe will get it after the USA. If the 16th of June is set for Germany, then same day event for WWDC Keynote will have the iPhone rolled out for AT&T and it's resellers in the USA.
  • Reply 29 of 116
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

That would never happen on the expandable memory in current designs.

A 64GB model is already pushing it. Apple won't go 128GB until the iPhone is ready to go 64GB.
  • Reply 30 of 116
    Quote:

All for that- and a replaceable battery. But Apple don't go for either of dat- not part of their doctrine.

But, the Pre just comes with 8 GB. Two years ago that was a decent amount, though people here were complaining it wasn't enough, and why didn't it have a memory slot. So it's not as though people here weren't complaining about the amount of memory.

But, 8 Gb is trivial today for their prime product.

We don't know what Apple's new phones will cost, but it's likely the 16 GB model will be $199, and the 32 GB model will go for $299.

If so, the Pre will seem way under supplied, which is why the call for memory cards, though that's never a good idea. It will also seem overpriced.

As far as the battery goes, every review I've seen so far, except one, has said that the battery life is more than a bit shorter that the iPhones'.

Slightly less talk time, 20 minutes. But video play time is 5 hours as opposed to 7 for the iPhone, and even according to Palm, the music play time is only 12 hours as opposed to 24 for the iPhone.

So a replaceable battery is certainly called for, with most reviewers saying that they barely made it to the evening, and often lost power in the afternoon. That's much worse than the iPhones' performance.
  • Reply 31 of 116
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Europe will get it after the USA. If the 16th of June is set for Germany, then same day event for WWDC Keynote will have the iPhone rolled out for AT&T and it's resellers in the USA.

What makes you think so? The 3G was rolled out in most of Europe (except France and Belgium, if I remember correctly) the very same day as in the US. Actually, due to the time difference Australia, New Zealand and Europe were getting it earlier than the US.
  • Reply 32 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

That would never happen on the expandable memory in current designs.

A 64GB model is already pushing it. Apple won't go 128GB until the iPhone is ready to go 64GB.

Expandable memory doesn't always work well.

First of all it's a pain. I used it with my Treo 700p. The phones get confused when you remove a card and insert another one. From other experiences, I'd say that most other phones have the same problem.

Some info from programs and such are in the phone memory, and some is in the card. If the program is in the phone, but the data is in the card, odd things happen.

Then there is the matter of needing to carry the cards around.

It's just not good. This was a stop-gap measure, but the concept is outdated.
  • Reply 33 of 116
    What I never understood is this focus on 32 vs 16 GB.

What is really interesting is the RAM the machine as available for apps, not for storage.

I always get frustrated when my iPhone is crashing app after app for running out of memory when there is a GB idling away of the storage RAM.

I know that multitasking will not be an option, but at least the Apple tasks that are allows to run on the background should at least have he possibility on seeking 'asylum' in storage RAM when the going gets tough. Its kinnda like frustrating having to restart your phone when you want to play a 'hungry' app

So doubling the application RAM would bring more to me then going from 16 to 32 GB as that just means a choice of movies not being brought along.

Oh yeah and while we are on the subject : possibility on syncing with TWO iTunes would be great too - much more then 16 extra gigs
  • Reply 34 of 116
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    in my case all my crashes happened in safari on one or two websites. BGR was one of them and it was downloading a page with a lot of data on it
  • Reply 35 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

What I never understood is this focus on 32 vs 16 GB.

What is really interesting is the RAM the machine as available for apps, not for storage.

I always get frustrated when my iPhone is crashing app after app for running out of memory when there is a GB idling away of the storage RAM.

I know that multitasking will not be an option, but at least the Apple tasks that are allows to run on the background should at least have he possibility on seeking 'asylum' in storage RAM when the going gets tough. Its kinnda like frustrating having to restart your phone when you want to play a 'hungry' app

So doubling the application RAM would bring more to me then going from 16 to 32 GB as that just means a choice of movies not being brought along.

Oh yeah and while we are on the subject : possibility on syncing with TWO iTunes would be great too - much more then 16 extra gigs

App RAM is supposed to be doubling to 256 MB. That should stop the problems for you.

But what apps are crashing so often? I've got almost 6 pages of apps, and almost never have an app crash. The NY Times app would crash, but that was the problem with the app, since fixed. Sometimes Safari would crash, but rarely. A couple of other programs did as well, but they've since been fixed.
  • Reply 36 of 116
    Quote:

But what apps are crashing so often?

Safari, Trails, Remote Desktop

Plus I would not mind a feature where the 256MB could be made available as well to older iPhones - by taking it off the regular storage stack - dont care really
  • Reply 37 of 116
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Yeah me too. When I got my iPhone it was the weekend and I was anxious to start playing with it so I synced it to my home computer. In hindsight I should have waited and synced it at work since that is where I do most of my computing. Maybe what would be cool if we could sync over desktop sharing, Back to my Mac or whatever they call it.
  • Reply 38 of 116
    Quote:

But, the Pre just comes with 8 GB. Two years ago that was a decent amount, though people here were complaining it wasn't enough, and why didn't it have a memory slot. So it's not as though people here weren't complaining about the amount of memory.

But, 8 Gb is trivial today for their prime product.

We don't know what Apple's new phones will cost, but it's likely the 16 GB model will be $199, and the 32 GB model will go for $299.

If so, the Pre will seem way under supplied, which is why the call for memory cards, though that's never a good idea. It will also seem overpriced.

As far as the battery goes, every review I've seen so far, except one, has said that the battery life is more than a bit shorter that the iPhones'.

Slightly less talk time, 20 minutes. But video play time is 5 hours as opposed to 7 for the iPhone, and even according to Palm, the music play time is only 12 hours as opposed to 24 for the iPhone.

So a replaceable battery is certainly called for, with most reviewers saying that they barely made it to the evening, and often lost power in the afternoon. That's much worse than the iPhones' performance.

But the screen is better and the OS seems amazing. Six of one, half-dozen of the other.
  • Reply 39 of 116
    Quote:

Expandable memory doesn't always work well.

First of all it's a pain. I used it with my Treo 700p. The phones get confused when you remove a card and insert another one. From other experiences, I'd say that most other phones have the same problem.

Some info from programs and such are in the phone memory, and some is in the card. If the program is in the phone, but the data is in the card, odd things happen.

Then there is the matter of needing to carry the cards around.

It's just not good. This was a stop-gap measure, but the concept is outdated.

I use expandable memory and have no problem whatsoever but then you have to use your mind whereas with Apple products you don't. No insult intended.
  • Reply 40 of 116
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

We need to get our daughter a new phone for college in London this coming year. She doesn't put too much music on hers, but if the prices are the same, then I suppose a 32 would make her happy.

I suppose it'd better make her bloody happy! If it doesn't tell her she can only have a Nokia 1650 pay as you go phone. Geez... kids these days, eh?